Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl and router problem.

• 13-08-2006 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

The Ntl connection I have works fine when connected directly to the pc, but once its connected to the router it gives me this.

The router is a sitecom 140g+.

It was working fine for a few months untill Ntl did the upgrade then this started happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Check your wireless card's settings. (Default gateway... compare to your Ethernet card's settings.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

pc ip wireless card: 192.169.1.100
    default gateway of router: 192.168.1.1

pc ip ethernet card: 89.100.244.199
    default gateway of modem: 89.100.244.1

I get no page found when I change the default gateway of the router to the one used by the ethernet card.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Have googled this and cant find any help also have looked at the thread about the upgrade of ntl bb but no joy with any of the suggestions on how to fix this problem their either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

HI

Do you have an e-mail address from NTL @ntlworld.ie enter that and it might work, that screen looks the same as the log-on page for NTL webmail.

Regards

Thanks nava but I get that page for all url's that I enter. So when I enter www.boards.ie I get that page, etc, etc.

I was told that cloning the mac address of the modem to the router could solve the problem that I have but when I did that the router wont get and ip/default gateway/dns address.

If I specify the ip/default gateway/dns myself the internet doesnt work (pages dont load). (I set the addresses to the ones I get when the modem is connected directly to my pc)
    IP Address: 89.100.224.199
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 89.100.224.1
    DHCP Server: 89.100.224.1
    DNS Servers: 89.101.160.5, 89.101.160.4

If I set it to dynamic ip then it gets a completly different ip/default gateway/dns from the one I get when the router is connected to the network card of my pc.
    ip: 10.93.49.142 gateway: 10.93.48.1 dns: 89.101.160.39/89.101.160.40

Any help would be great as I cant figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Switch off modem for 10-15 mins. Set PC to recieve ip address via DHCP. Configure router to also get ip via DHCP.

Connect modem to router WAN port.

Switch on modem, let it sync. Switch on router. Connect PC to router via ethernet cable. See if that works. If all good, then u can set up wireless on router for PC.

No need to use MAC cloning, as switching off modem for 10-15 mins releases the ip address assigned to whatever mac address connected to it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

ARGINITE wrote:
    I was told that cloning the mac address of the modem to the router could solve the problem that I have but when I did that the router wont get and ip/default gateway/dns address.

If I specify the ip/default gateway/dns myself the internet doesnt work (pages dont load). (I set the addresses to the ones I get when the modem is connected directly to my pc)
    IP Address: 89.100.224.199
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 89.100.224.1
    DHCP Server: 89.100.224.1
    DNS Servers: 89.101.160.5, 89.101.160.4

If I set it to dynamic ip then it gets a completly different ip/default gateway/dns from the one I get when the router is connected to the network card of my pc.
    ip: 10.93.49.142 gateway: 10.93.48.1 dns: 89.101.160.39/89.101.160.40

Any help would be great as I cant figure it out.

A 10.*.*.* ip address is not a public ip it is issuing you an ip on the chello lan apparently and that is why it is looking for a log in

Either turn it off modem and all for at least 15 minutes

or clone the mac address of the device you are connecting directly to the cable modem ie the mac address of the network card in your PC or Laptop.

AFAIK NTL record the mac address of the device connected to the modem and issue an ip to it only so you have to turn it off and wait a sufficent time for it to "forget the mac address of the device or clone the mac address of the device so it still thinks it is connecting to the same device.

Hope that helps

Advertisement