Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community Shield - Chelsea v Liverpool, 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Seems to be a fairly relaxed atmosphear about it all. A lot of empty seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Interesting formation Chelsea are playing.

I would have to say that if Makelele was playing Riise would never have got that shot away.

Cudichini was poor for it too.

Liverpool are doing very well in centre-mid, but i think Chelsea are starting to play a little football now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bellamy on for Garcia

Mike.

Gone rather hum-drum.

Mike.

:)

Mike.

Crouch scores.Unexpected. 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Shock shock, Terry is having a bad game when Makelele isn't playing.

Flo is on! What does that mean? Anything?

Mike

That'll do.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

good way to start the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Decent performance by Liverpool after the poor one on Wed,

(+)

Agger very, very good - dominant in the air.
    Sissoko showing he can boss midfield without Alonso/Gerrard.
    Good performances by Gonzales/Aurelio - 2 very good contrasting options for LW.

(-)

Alonso still shockingly poor - a big worry.
    Crouch looking very rusty - needs more games.

sissoko would be an awsome player alltogether if he could just pass well, its the only part of his game thats lacking.

i'm shocked crouch managed to score with his head, his headers are usually floated passes to the keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Still a poor header though, right at the keeper but he dived out of the way expected it to go into the corner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sissoko sure can play a bit. He seems to be everywhere for Liverpool.

Sissoko sure can play a bit. He seems to be everywhere for Liverpool.

yeah he's great at getting himself about, winning back the ball and starting a new liverpool attack, he just cant win the ball, make space for himself and hit a killer pass.

he must be a pain in the arse to play against though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

No need to worry about Xabi Alonso. He came off the bench and put in a few stray passes. When the ball starts rolling properly he will rise to the occassion. No doubt about that.

Sissoko for 5.5 million is looking quite the bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I can see Liverpool nicking this one reasonably late on.

Prediction: Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool

Yess!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

county wrote:
    i can see a 3 or 4-1 win for chelsea,liverpool were poor during the week in a game of inportance so i cant see them upping there performence for a charity match

:D:D:D

Hey JoeSoap did you out any money on that one?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

First blood to Rafa. He practically put out a reserve team and they had more than the measure of a star studded Chelsea team. Thought Chelsea were very ordinary throughout and were flattered by a superb piece of skill by Schevchenko.

Hope it's the first of many triumphs over Chelsea this season...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

mike65 wrote:
    Hey JoeSoap did you out any money on that one?

Mike.
    Unfortunately not no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jose Mourinho: The better team on the pitch won...

Holy crap. Jose got a brain transplant this Summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

TheGooner wrote:

Jose Mourinho: The better team on the pitch won...

Holy crap. Jose got a brain transplant this Summer!
    Is that what he said? I missed the after match interviews.

He looked seriously pi$$ed at the end...thought he was gonna murder someone.

I'm not looking into the result too much because Chelsea are a class side, but I was very impressed with Liverpools physical side to the game today and really played well switching the play to both wings.

Bellamy will be a big player for them this season if he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Got my first glimpse of Aurelio. Seems decent enough, fluffed a shot though :(

Pennant again played decent, I think he should've stayed on and Gerrard brought in in his better midfield position. But still decent result, and Riise has made up for his poor performace against Haifa.

Even though Crouchie scored I still thought he had a poor game. Hopefully Rafa will bring in a decent striker.... Huntelaar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Is that what he said? I missed the after match interviews.

He looked seriously pi$$ed at the end...thought he was gonna murder someone.

I'm not looking into the result too much because Chelsea are a class side, but I was very impressed with Liverpools physical side to the game today and really played well switching the play to both wings.

Bellamy will be a big player for them this season if he stays fit.

Yep, thats why i am so shocked. He even added in that liverpool where quicker and showed more skill :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Anyone got a video of the Risse goal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Shevchenko looked another class up front today I thought. He understandably didn't link up particularly well with his teammates, but as he grows to know them I think he could be awesome this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Liverpool fans ... classy bunch! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP5J9qD73rQ

haha "d'ya wanna red one??" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Nice win for 'Pool and good to see Bellamy set up the winning goal. He's shown in a week for 'Pool that he's a good goalscorer and provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

boards.ie is so slow :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

boards.ie is so slow

Has been for many months now for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Congrats to Liverpool and y'all...it's a pleasing result to be honest...we don't want to let Chelsea pull away from us too early on (when the league starts of course). Obviously the better result would have been a good helping of long term injuries and a 4-4 draw but hey....we can't get everything we want in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hoping for an entertaining game of football to get the new season off to a good start. I can see Liverpool nicking this one reasonably late on.

Prediction: Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool

great predicting there joe,hope you had a few quid on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Pennant wasn't as effective as I hoped. Ditto Gonzalez. Bellamy looked superb. The team was a lot different with him on the pitch. Agger and Aurelio both looked excellent. Nice to know we have some decent defensive cover for a change (so long Djimi).

Roll on Sheff UTD.

As for Chelsea. Schevchenko will score a lot of goals this season. Wasn't the most effective performance I've seen from them. Kalou was ok, Ballack didn't have much of an influence before he had to go off. Obi Mikel - don't see what all the fuss is about - Diarra - got booked as could have been predicted. They looked lacklustre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Congratulations to the pool. I predicted and bet for a 3-1 win to liverpool so I wasn't surprised or upset at the result. As long as we have the title come may i'm not going to worry about a loss in the opening friendly.

As for the game I thought it was expectidly poor. Carlo looked very rusty in goal and neither team looked great or even good to be honest. That said I did think Liverpool were the better team. Ironically I thought they were better without their big players! Sisoko controlled midfield and Liverpool looked decent. When Stevie and Alonso came on I thought the balance of Liverpool went slightly off, obviously wide men were changed as well so that explains it partly.

A classy bit of skill from Sheva but sure we expect that from in my opinion the best striker in the world. He left the defence for dead and a finish thats as cool as you like. It was refreshing to see that in a Chelsea shirt after putting up with that stocking Drogba for the past couple of years. We know Drog would have blased through that and missed the target by a mile!!!

As for the restult, as I said expected. Chelsea are about 50% at the moment and Liverpool I'd say about 75%. As we've seen in the last 10 years the sheild result means nothing for the season ahead but no doubt Sky and The Rag will build this up as the first psych blow to Rafa in the MourRafa war... There are a few other teams here that can win it lads so lets not loose sight of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

iregk wrote:
    Chelsea are about 50%
    According to Jose, pure crap though. We're a week away from the season starting and they used their best players - they're more than 50%. They had their pre-season started before most teams also when they were over in America.

The way Jose was talking before the match and after also, you can tell he wanted to win the game. Before the match comments of name-dropping title contenders and either dropping any mention of Liverpool or saying that they won't be able to be up there. Also I saw on teletext that he had said he reckons Rafa must have a problem with him. After the match being interviewed he seemed a lot more sheepish than normal and downplayed the game as being useful pre-season preparation.

p.pete wrote:
    According to Jose, pure crap though.

Actually didn't even know he had said that! I was going purely on the match itself.
    p.pete wrote:
    The way Jose was talking before the match and after also, you can tell he wanted to win the game.

Thats a ridiculous statement. Of course he wanted to win the match, he watns to win every match he plays. Not a crime!

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:
    Thats a ridiculous statement. Of course he wanted to win the match, he watns to win every match he plays. Not a crime!
    I mean he wants to win it heaps, not just 'it's pre-season but sure would be swell to win'. It'd be ridiculous to think he doesn't want to win every game - GAA is the only place where that might happen :).

p.pete wrote:
    I mean he wants to win it heaps, not just 'it's pre-season but sure would be swell to win'. It'd be ridiculous to think he doesn't want to win every game - GAA is the only place where that might happen :).

Hahaha - true. Apart from the odd well timed "draw" every now and again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Jose was trying to play mind games and he really isn't very good at them. He was preparing his excuse before the match started but he probably wasn't expecting to lose.

fade2black wrote:
    Jose was trying to play mind games and he really isn't very good at them. He was preparing his excuse before the match started but he probably wasn't expecting to lose.

True. The whole Jose mind-game thing is old news at this stage, he's really starting to annoy me now. Its one thing winning repeatedly, but thats no use if you aren't a gracious loser.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its one thing winning repeatedly, but thats no use if you aren't a gracious loser.

I'm not defending Jose here, I'm a chelsea fan and at times he bugs me at other times I think he is priceless and brilliant but. In what way is it no use?

Is the Chelsea share price taking a nose dive due to the way he is when they loose? For that matter are jersey and merchandise sales down? Are gate recepits down? No they aren't and the reason is because they win repatedely so you see it is doing him good!

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:
    For that matter are jersey and merchandise sales down?
    lol, ye forced fans to buy the new jersey if they wanted to attend a team photo: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17521321&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=chelsea-fan-photo-shirt-cost--name_page.html

Whereas Liverpool fans queued round the corner for their new jersey because they wanted to:
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17545641%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=fans%2dqueue%2dround%2dblock%2dfor%2dnew%2dliverpool%2dstrip-name_page.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

p.pete wrote:
    Are you sure thats not a queue for Zaytoon? ;):p

Nah, it's all curries in Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

p.pete wrote:

You think if liverpool did that the new jersey sponsors would want pictures with the old jersey in it?

Get real. What chelsea did was perfectly acceptable, and any other club would of done the same.

If your going to bash chelsea, dont use articles from a **** tabloid. That article sums the tabloids perfectly. Everything completely blown out of purportion.

Everything completely blown out of purportion.
    Indeed, it may be a crap tabloid and that's a nice defence to use - but the story's still valid. How often do clubs invite their fans to be in a team photo? Not too often, and it happens now when they've a new sponsor and new jersey, and naturally being Chelsea they put the corporates ahead of the loyal fans with 3 or 4 kids who have to shell out quite considerably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement