Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

brock Lesnar to fight in K-1.

• 13-08-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

As anticipated, Brock has signed with K-1 to fight on their MMA show. Most likely K-1's NYE show IMO.. Brock has been training with Pat Miletich for the past 2 months or so.. Pat has gone on record to say Brock will be unbeatable with another year of training.

Brock already has an extensive amatuer wrestling background which stands as a great base for MMA. Providing Brock has been working his hands and ground game (he's now training with Royce Gracie on the mat), I think Brock will do well provided he takes it seriously - Which I'm sure he will.

2488-IMG_7165.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm sure he'll do really well. But unbeatable within a year is a bit of a stretch for someone who is still very new to the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I was thinkin he'd be with K-1. Miletich had been talkin about a "big cat" that he'd been trainin who's goin to go places

It was already announced that he'd be debuting in Las Vegas in October though, wasn't it? I'm definitely lookin forward to this more than his last career change! Hopefully he can do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, he said he'd like to.. It's only official since yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

But unbeatable within a year is a bit of a stretch for someone who is still very new to the sport.

Not really.....some people are just natural atheltes....people seem to be underestimating just how good of a amateur wrestler he was.

He lost twice in two years wrestling at the highest level in college. He just a genetic athlete and his background is a GREAT basis for MMA.

Simple fact is that he is massive, strong, fast as hell. Look at UFC's heavyweights and think about who of them could compete with Brock from a wrestling point of view.......none.

Thats one area he has completely tied down.....it's the other two that might cost him but he strikes me as a quick study to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Lesnar is still young, only 29, and I do think with a years solid training - he might be able to do some damage.

As Dragan said he is a genetic athlete, with a proven wrestling/ground game - although strictly amatuer. But his sheer power and speed does give him that edge, and I mean he has scary lifting power.

Plus having seen his old training videos from his amateur and pro wrestling career, I dont see him having any problems adapting to the type of training he will face to get into MMA - plus he does have that "killer instinct" that most MMA's by necessity have.

• Advertisement

I think he could be really good. But I think to say that someone will be unbeatable after a years training in a sport that is so multi fasented is a bit over the top.

There are so many ways to lose/win that I don't think thats a realistic prediction. But as I said I see him being successful.

I think he could be really good. But I think to say that someone will be unbeatable after a years training in a sport that is so multi fasented is a bit over the top.

I would agree, but normal rules don't apply to Pat Militech. He doesn't build hype, he doesn't talk **** and he doesn't blow smoke up fighters asses.

Your either good in his eyes or your not.

Dragan wrote:
    I would agree, but normal rules don't apply to Pat Militech. He doesn't build hype, he doesn't talk **** and he doesn't blow smoke up fighters asses.

Your either good in his eyes or your not.

Ok say Lesnar gets trained, blah blah - who do you see posing a challenge to him based on his current skills and possible future training

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Ok say Lesnar gets trained, blah blah - who do you see posing a challenge to him based on his current skills and possible future training
    Well I have no idea of his skillset outside of the wrestling, but I can see him having a lethal, and I mean lethal GnP game. He shoot is ridiculously fast, or at least it was in his amateur days….even the few guys who beat him had trouble with his speed.

For a big guy he really is just THAT fast. So yeah, I can see him being able to take down pretty much anyone, be it through technique or just raw power. His problems will lie with someone who has

A) a good BJJ game and a clever guard - I can see him being in peoples guards a lot.
    B) Good strikes and good reach.

Pretty much the same as all wrestlers…..i hope he doesn't do a Mark Coleman. I love watching the guy fight, but man does he get hit a lot, he has no real idea how to move to avoid strikes, but he can weather a storm and then take you down.

I would like to see Lesnar learning how to avoid the strikes and time the take down to catch them coming forward.

But just look at who is training with…..Militech Camp is very good….you have Pat himself, who is maybe the cleverest fighter to step foot in Cage, Matt Hughes to work his wrestling with, Franklin and Big Tim to work on his movement and striking, and then he is doing BJJ with Royce Gracie. There all just advantages to his development as a fighter.

I can see Lesnar getting lots of GnP wins, and chokes.

Dragan wrote:
    Well I have no idea of his skillset outside of the wrestling, but I can see him having a lethal, and I mean lethal GnP game. He shoot is ridiculously fast, or at least it was in his amateur days….even the few guys who beat him had trouble with his speed.

For a big guy he really is just THAT fast. So yeah, I can see him being able to take down pretty much anyone, be it through technique or just raw power. His problems will lie with someone who has

A) a good BJJ game and a clever guard - I can see him being in peoples guards a lot.
    B) Good strikes and good reach.

Pretty much the same as all wrestlers…..i hope he doesn't do a Mark Coleman. I love watching the guy fight, but man does he get hit a lot, he has no real idea how to move to avoid strikes, but he can weather a storm and then take you down.

I would like to see Lesnar learning how to avoid the strikes and time the take down to catch them coming forward.

But just look at who is training with…..Militech Camp is very good….you have Pat himself, who is maybe the cleverest fighter to step foot in Cage, Matt Hughes to work his wrestling with, Franklin and Big Tim to work on his movement and striking, and then he is doing BJJ with Royce Gracie. There all just advantages to his development as a fighter.

I can see Lesnar getting lots of GnP wins, and chokes.

Ok but what is GnP?

• Advertisement

Ground and pound. When you take someone down, hold them there, and basically punch the **** out of them!

Another thing I was thinkin about.. They'll probably go out of their way to help train Lesnar. He has the potential to make more money than some unknown guy with the same skills, because he's already famous

This is a post on the site of Matt Hughes who is trained in the Miletich camp. Is it true? Who knows, but here it is....

We just got here late last night. Matt, Joey and I rode up from Hillsboro in his wife's new car.

Interesting night so far. Brock Lesnar is here training. He introduced himself to Matt once he saw him. Brock had a black eye and the first thing Matt said was "I looks like you've been training here already."

They just got done with a wrestling match a few minutes ago. Keep in mind Brock Lesnar is about 285-300 pounds and Matt is around 185-190 right now. Brock is clearly bigger and much stronger, but Matt wasn't intimidated in the slightest. He was continually taunting and slapping Brock throughout the match. At one point Brock made the mistake of giving Matt his back, Matt swung around and got both hooks in and for a second it looked identical to his first Trigg fight. Except Brock just powerbombs himself down to the ground. Even though he had just been slammed to the ground with 300 pounds on top of him, Matt never loses his grip and withing seconds Brock Lesnar is tapping out!

Amazing!

Again, whether its legit or not I don't know. And I'm not putting it up to knock Lesnar.I mean its not surpirsing if its true. He's still learning. Its just to point out again that its diificult/imppossible to come into such a diverse sport and within a year be unbeatable.

MMA has moved on. Its not 1995 anymore.

This is Matt Hughes he was fightin though! Not too many guys are going to escape if they give their backs to him, doesn't matter what size you are. Actually, considering Brock did drop to the ground, you could say he did better than Trigg did in the same situation

Training is the place to make your mistakes!

But thats my point I'm not knocking him for tapping out to Matt Hughes even with the huge weight diiference favouring Brock. Its to be expected. I think I've said this four times but sure what the hell one more time won't hurt.

I think he has the potential to be really really good but predictions of being unbeatable are over the top in my opinion. I think you can just about say that for people in boxing because its a one discipline sport. But MMA combines multiple disciplines. You can't just be a striker, a wrestler etc.. anymore

This is MMA in 2006. And to expect a guy who is new to the sport even if he is a Brock Lesnar with his obvious wrestling credentials to be be unbeatable in one year is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Haven't watched any MMA in a few years. Does Mark Kerr still fight?
    He was the best GnP fighter I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Ive only recently started watching UFC on Bravo, is this MMA availible on any channels??

And to expect a guy who is new to the sport even if he is a Brock Lesnar with his obvious wrestling credentials to be be unbeatable in one year is a bit much.

So send Pat Militech a mail and tell him that dude! :D I have given my reasons why Brock could win, and i have given my reasons why Brock could lose.

I have not seen him train.......i can't really comment any more! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

I reckon 12 months training with Matt Hughes and Hoyce Gracie (funny combo) and of course Pat Miletiech he'll get to very good blue or purple belt standard in Jiujitsu. He'll be tough to punch out and you guys seem to think he's got very good clinch so, sure, I won't be surprised if he kicks the **** out of bob sapp or akebono or giant gonzalez or who ever the put against him.

Put him in pride and he'll come out black and blue.

Put him in pride and he'll come out black and blue.

Indeed, but not many people start there careers in major orgs against top competition....time to grow needs to be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

First of all, I can't wait to see Brock fight MMA becoz he's a foooking monster of a bloke with great athleticism and a great wrestling backround ,

And secondly this will be ,in my very humble opinion , a perfect test of whether it's possible to train someone like Brock into a decent MMA athlete in a few months based on the fact he already has good physical abilities and a wrestling backround !

MMA training has so many facets, but some of those can be side stepped or just ignored a little when you're a 290 lb extremely low body fat dude with exellent athleticism and good tried and tested cardio. If Brock or someone like Brock has a decent chin and is taught a good stance and to watch out for basic subs and leg kicks then it seems to me they're probably going to do alright with even a few months MMA training !

He'd be used to exerting energy on the ground, can definately take a slam or too and is inhumanely strong so cud probably shrug off a lot of sub and takedown attempts especially seeing as he has a lot of high level football experience which with pads and all taken into account is still bloody rough as hell.

Also he'd be very likely to pick you up from the ground or from a takedown shoot attempt and dump you all on your face ! I'm not saying he's gonna be good but I'd have a sneaky suspicion that a little MMA training with someone like Brock is gonna achieve a lot !

He's also used to huge crowds and being in a ring obviously so what do you think - can Brock bring his impressive strength and speed and power and wrestling (free-style) backround into MMA successfully after only a few months MMA training ? I know this may just be another K1 circus match but it will be interesting to see how he fairs in his first MMA fight.

It's easy to say

1. He may have a glass chin and doesn't really know yet because it's not been tested.
    2. Leg kicks will slow him down and mess up his stance and guard leaving him open coz he's had no real experience of them.
    3. He may have proven Cardio levels in both football and pro-wrestling but with the extra adrenaline that'll sap at his energy he won't last against an experienced MMA fighter.

I personally think he'll be tough as hell to take down - and who'd want to get that close and test his strength anyway. His arm is probably as strong as his would be oponents leg and so a successful arm bar might be very very difficult to achieve. Also given that he's nearly 300 lbs of functional wrestling based muscle - anyone against him who's that weight will by probability be slower and fatter and less agile and less athletic whereas anyone lighter say by 40/50 lbs will have less zap or weight to their punch and he'll no doubt have an advantage by strength and weight !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

One things for sure, he'll be a major draw.

Being with Miletich will probably be good for him... he'll learn how to fight standing up. Heck, they're dominating most of the weight classes right now.

Downside, other than Hughes, is there anyone else in that camp who know's how to fight on the ground? SOmeone mentioned a Gracie.... that's a good place to start :-) I'd be worried about Lesnars build. He won't be flexible if he's still as big as he was in WWE. That would be used against him.

And the chin... well that question will only get answered in the ring.

I wouldn't hold his age against him. How old was Couture (and the other ex Olymipc wrestler) before he went into MMA?

I wonder how long Dana White will wait before trying him out in UFC.....

Couture was 33 I think when he debuted in UFC. I always thought Brock was very flexible for his size. I can't remember him ever getting injured. It's being reported now that he's not scheduled to fight until February, so he's definitely got a better chance of giving a good show of himself with those extra 4 months training

Advertisement