Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

limited bandwidth (LAN) pc to pc????

• 13-08-2006 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

My problem is that I am only getting 10% of the maximum bandwidth allowable on my Lynksys router (54Mb/sec)

I am trying to copy a 4GB folder from a old windows 2000 pc to a new windows xp laptop. The signal quality are both on excellent. In windows task manager it shows a straight line for 10% of network utilization (hardly any peaks or valleys).

I have no idea how to fix this. Does anyone have any experience in this problem??? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What speed is the data actuallly transferring at? I wouldn't use the task manager as an accurate reading...

And remember that the 54Mbps is not duplex so ur max transfer speed will prob peak at 20-25Mbps.

If you switched to using ethernet cable between the two you'd get a much higher transfer rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just plug it in with a cable and copy using that, much faster and less hastle. You are more than likely getting interference on the WiFi connection, channels 1,6 & 11 are the only discrete channels, all others overlap.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

I have'nt got any network cable. So thats that one off the list.
    I cant see how I am getting any interferance. From where would I get it from???
    Im out in the middle of nowhere with no other wifi connections remotely near me.

Interference is prob not an issue. As I said, you're never going ot get 54Mbps transfer rate. It will prob be more liek 20-25Mbps, possibly even lower.

yes but im only getting a solid 5.4Mb/sec (10% of 54Mb/sec, task manager). If it was 20-25Mb/sec id be delighted.
    I have no bandwidth limiting software installed and the signal quality is excellent and the environment is interferance free. There is no reason why I should not be getting the 20Mb/sec. Is there any router setting I need to change???

• Advertisement

The read/write speed of the HD could also be limiting the transfer rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Going for an obvious one, but: You only mention the router's speed. What are the clients? (802.11b or g?) As above, what spec. is the slowest machine?
    The usual: What distance are they from each other? Are there any obstructions?

Turn off power saving mode for router+clients.

The laptop is 802.11b and g and the desktop is b (pretty sure). The spec of the slowest machine (desktop) is a 300MHz Pentium 1 with 256MB ram.
    The two machines are about 3 metres away from the router with perferct LOS and no obstructions (office).

Ah! in which case the wireless runs at 11Mbps and not 54Mbps and again since it's not duplex ur transfer rate sounds about right.

just discovered the desktop does have a 802.11g network card. Id say possibly the problem is the hard drive speed. Its a bit of a old piece of junk so I would'nt be surprised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement