Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking up fireplace

Options
  • 13-08-2006 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I am thinking of blocking up a fireplace temporarily. Its one which is not used and I might block it up for the winter. There is a lot of heat lost through the chimney.

Any ideas how I could get a good seal that could be removed easily in the event it MIGHT be used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Put an old pillow into it, I did it to stop the draught during winter, works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

AFAIK you can get a special Chimney balloon to do this job, Roofer Pete can probably advise whenever he mosey's on thru. An old pillow would definetly be cheaper and probably just as effective.;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you do block it up make sure that the room has another source of ventilation. AFAIK, most older house only had the fireplace as single source of ventilation. Newer houses have a vent fitted in the wall.

As per Do-more, I'll leave the final word to pete..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The balloon is available from Paramount Distributers Montpelier Hill D.7, handy to fit just remember it's there if you do decide to light a fire.

Take note of the ventilation as mentioned by crosstownk, if you have a room with a high ceiling and the door is left open most of the time you might get away without the vent for this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

I stuffed my chimneys with bin bags filled with rockwool. Works well, and can be easily reused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

As alternative to Paramount Distributers Montpelier Hill D.7 as suggested by Pete, you could order online from www.chimney-balloon.co.uk.

Browsed their site a bit and asked them the following:
    Your site says that the balloon "allows a little ventilation" & "It also has a special shape that allows a little ventilation on two corners to keep your chimney dry". Would the amount of ventilation be adequate as the only source of ventilation in a room or is it only really suitable for keeping the chinmey dry? => An air vent needed in room.

Response was
    The ventilation is only to keep the chimney dry.

Re. Pete's
    ...just remember it's there if you do decide to light a fire.
    , this crowd point out that it's not the end of the world -
    Even if you forget it - and light a fire, it will just melt, harmlessly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I knew there was a purpose made device for this scenario but never realised it was as straightforward as a balloon.

Is there any difference in the quality of what chimney-balloon.co.uk offer and what is available from the crowd rooferPete mentioned?

Is there a standard chimney size for your typical four bed semi these days? (yes, i am a lazy sod and should just go and get the measuring tape:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Even if you forget it - and light a fire, it will just melt, harmlessly

Harmlessly! OMG think of all the noxious gases released by the plastic burning. Quick get someone from "Green issues", a boycott of this product must be organised immediately. Someone go tie themselves to their website, I promise I will send you food and water...

Harmlessly indeed!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement