Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Door

Options
  • 13-08-2006 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Any idea where I would get a Seal tight attic door. I see them in new houses . I reckon cold air is being drawn down from the attic space in my house and keeping the air below cold.
    I am on a mission to cut down on heat loss for the winter.

If anyone has any good tips on heat loss prevention please me know .

Tks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,

you can get stick on rubber seals which you could put around the edge - where the door sits down.

have a look at www.sei.ie for heat conservation tips etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

karltimber wrote:

you can get stick on rubber seals which you could put around the edge - where the door sits down.
    Yep - this is what I did. I used the same ones that can be used to seal an external door. You may need to add weight to the door to ensure a good seal if your current door is very light. I'd certainly try the seals before splashing out on a new door. The seals are quite cheap and you can get them from Woodies, B&Q or even your local hardware store.

EDIT : BTW, Its most likely that heat is being drawn out of the living space into the colder attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Ths for info folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I followed my brothers advice on this one. He said build a little box the size of the opening about 9 inches deep and stuff it full of rock wool. I use that as the lid for the attic. Definitely reduced the draft.

Advertisement