Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plunkett Street Dublin 1840s

Options
  • 13-08-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Can anyone tell me where abouts in Dublin PLUNKETT STREET was, and what is itcalled now?

Thanks,
    Heppy :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is that you Heather? :D

From some google searches, it would appear to have been in the Liberties area (i.e. between Christcurch and the Guiness brewery). Much of the area was rebuilt by the Guiness family in the 19th century and quite a few streets in Dublin were renamed in the period after independence (1922). There can't have been many Presbyterian Churches in the area.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=%2BDublin+%22PLUNKETT+STREET%22+christchurch+liberties+thomas+street&meta=

http://www.google.ie/search?q=%2BDublin+%22PLUNKETT+STREET%22+-cork+-lenox+-mullingar&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N

http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=2000&County=Dublin&id=4536

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gmac115

Plunket St (with one 't') was just about a city block northwest of St. Patrick's Cathedral in South Dublin. It has since been replaced by John Dillon Place. But when it existed, it seemed to be a connection between Francis St. on its western side and Patrick St. on its eastern side. According to the maps I've seen it was about a city block or two in length. I've seen a map of Dublin in 1592 and Plunket St. was in existence at that time -- but there was nothing (no housing or commercial enterprises) nearby. The sole exception was a church that was sort of in the middle of Plunket St. A church was there since 1235 AD but somewhere in the 16th or 17th Century a RC Church named St. Nicholas of Myra was built on the site and is still in existence today.

So if you look on a current map (2015) and find St. Patrick's Cathedral and slightly move your finger up and over in a northwesterly direction, you will find the church. That's where Plunket St. used to exist.

My great-great Grandparents were married at St. Nicholas of Myra, and five of their children were born on Plunket St. just off the Francis St. side. I've been studying it for the past few months.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Gregory Burr MAcaulay

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This seems to be it. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,714923,733777,11,7

Where Thomas Davis Street South is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from East.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

9 year old thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 gmac115

Sorry if I have offended anyone. The question about the whereabouts of Plunket St. just showed up in my own research and I thought I was being helpful in answering it. But, if I am ignorant because I failed to notice the date of the original inquiry so be it! My intentions were good and I guess septuagenarians are not welcome here unless they are sharp in all aspects. Oh well . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

gmac115 wrote: »
    Sorry if I have offended anyone. The question about the whereabouts of Plunket St. just showed up in my own research and I thought I was being helpful in answering it. But, if I am ignorant because I failed to notice the date of the original inquiry so be it! My intentions were good and I guess septuagenarians are not welcome here unless they are sharp in all aspects. Oh well . . . .

Well I found your answer very interesting and informative. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Well I found your answer very interesting and informative. Thanks. :)

And so did I! Cheers for the info, I didn't know that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

These are kind of timeless threads anyway, in that the information is always going to be current. I wouldn't worry about it Gregory and welcome to boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gmac115 wrote: »

No offense meant Gregory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I hope that Gregory comes back because that was a very interesting piece of information there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you think there's a problem, please let us know by using the Report function. It's better for many reasons. As for resurrecting some zombie threads, that can be a good thing at times.

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I hope that Gregory comes back because that was a very interesting piece of information there.

So do I. A very interesting snippet of history; and there's plenty more from that area. The OP had me looking up old map stuff with a nice 'I learned some thing(s) new today moment'.

I hope gmac115 has more.

Advertisement