Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance cheques

Options
  • 13-08-2006 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Quick curious questions guys,

If i am renting an apartment and want to sublet a room in it can i rent it to someone who has a rent cheque? ie rent allowance?

if so how does it work?

Also if I own the apt/house and I want to rent out a room to someone with a rent cheque what needs to be done?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I rent a house to a girl on social welfare and basically my contract is with her and not with the social welfare. She pays the rent, I don't have to worry about cashing her rent cheques. However, I have to sign a form for her annually to state I am renting the property to her. This might prove a stumbling block for you as you are not the landlord of this property and not registered with the PRTB. They probably then won't get the rent cheques until all the paperwork is completed.

Doesn't sound too good for you but maybe someone else can prove otherwise...does the landlord know about you subletting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

its more hypetical at the moment, just wondering how it works,

do u get the social cheque? and do u declare it to the revenue? and do you have to have your accomadation listed somewhere?

sorry for all the questions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Smithers wrote:
    its more hypetical at the moment, just wondering how it works,

do u get the social cheque? and do u declare it to the revenue? and do you have to have your accomadation listed somewhere?

First of all- the social welfare cheque is given to the person it is made out to- not to a landlord.

Secondly- all rental income must be declared to the Revenue Commissioners. You can't try to use the Rent-a-room scheme as you do not own the house- so this means that any rental income you got would be taxable. Strictly speaking the property would have to be registered with the PTRB- I have no idea how this would work with you subletting though?

Thirdly- any rental agreement I have seen normally has a clause about subletting (i.e. its normally at the discretion of the landlord and limited in nature). Is you are subletting- remember that you are the tenant according to the landlord- hence you are responsible for the property should anything go wrong.......

Think through what you are proposing and if you have a solid proposals feel free to post back here for soundings from folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

cheers shane,

just curious thats all about the whole thing,

if anything else comes to light i will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Smithers wrote:

No, I don't get the cheque, but obviously the tenant uses the money to pay the rent.
    I declare my rental income.
    All details should be on the PRTB site if the landlord is registered

• Advertisement
Advertisement