Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a router with an ntl modem

• 13-08-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

i'm around at a friends house trying to connect a router to his new ntl modem. BB works fine while connected directly to the pc from the modem.

I have a Netgear wireless router. I have tried putting a network calbe from the ntl modem to the netgear router and then tried connecting via wirless on the pc. It doesn't work....

What exactly do i need to do? Do i need to enter in the username and password on the router or do i leave that? I presume i just set the router to use the ntl modems ip as it's default gateway? What is the gateway address?

Anything else i need to setup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Switch off NTL modem for 10-15 mins. Then connect modem to WAN port of router. Switch on modem, wait for it to sync, then switch on router.

If that fails, clone the mac address of the PC onto the router.

Edit: set router to DHCP mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

irlrobins wrote:
    Switch off NTL modem for 10-15 mins. Then connect modem to WAN port of router. Switch on modem, wait for it to sync, then switch on router.

Did this and it works for about a minute and then the connection seems to drop
    If that fails, clone the mac address of the PC onto the router.
    how exactly do i do that?
    Edit: set router to DHCP mode.
    it's set to dhcp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Did this and it works for about a minute and then the connection seems to drop
    Wireless connection or internet connection?
    how exactly do i do that?
    Depends on model number of your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

irlrobins wrote:
    Wireless connection or internet connection?
    internet connection

Advertisement