Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AW139's handed over in Italy to IAC

• 13-08-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

I dont like it we should have gotten UH60's like the ARW and IAC were asking for.

Very cheap looking looks more like a VIP Helo than Troop Transport! :-(

Irish274-2.jpg

Irish274.jpg

Like i said this looks the dogs danglies.....

UH60.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

well it beats the allouettes:rolleyes: i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

First Maskhadov says they're gay looking...now they're cheap looking. They're designed to carry troops. If they do that well that'll do. Enough of this "ooooh, I'm afraid I don't like the colour, does it come in a lighter shade" bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

when the tender went out the main thing DOD were looking for was good looks. FFS it is a reliable/powerful troop carrier. Someone has watched too much Blackhawk Down.

The army will be very grateful for the extra assistance these will give and they wont give a toss what they look like. Looks are for anoraks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

How many of these were purchased and how many troops can be carried in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Well, imho, id say its a fairly safe bet that they will be used more for the latter, and anyway as was said already, if they can get airborne and carry troops efficiently, then that'll do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

muletide wrote:
    . Someone has watched too much Blackhawk Down.

Never saw the film mate sorry. Its my opinion and lots more think so too BTW it does not carry any armor etc to even give it a Military designation its a civvy helo painted green

muletide wrote:
    when the tender went out the main thing DOD were looking for was good looks.

True but the first thing they wanted and begged to get was the UH60 Blackhawk.

First Maskhadov says they're gay looking...now they're cheap looking. They're designed to carry troops. If they do that well that'll do. Enough of this "ooooh, I'm afraid I don't like the colour, does it come in a lighter shade" bollocks.

Colour comes into it alot you have never heard of Camo have you..........whats an easier target a dull green or the high green above hell even the EC135 is painted duller....

your "that'll do" attitude is the kinda attitude that the top brass has and thats whats makes stupid decisions such as the AW139

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Colour comes into it alot you have never heard of Camo have you..........whats an easier target a dull green or the high green above hell even the EC135 is painted duller....

Camo for what? They're not going to be deployed overseas.

And besides, Ireland has lots of grass. In fact, it has sometimes been known as quite a GREEN place. So it doesn't exactly stand out when viewed from the air, if that's what you're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

cork1 wrote:
    How many of these were purchased and how many troops can be carried in each.

They've ordered four with an option on two more. Seating depends on the configuration. You can get around 12 plus kit in if you use a two-bench arrangement. The other configuration will seat 8 plus kit & a door gunner each side in four back to back crash-proof seats facing out of the doors.

Then how come it didn't win the competition?

• Advertisement

Never saw the film mate sorry. Its my opinion and lots more think so too BTW it does not carry any armor etc to even give it a Military designation its a civvy helo painted green

The difference between a military and civilian helicopter in many cases is merely one of specification. The tender document specified an aircraft with a military fit - seating, comms, etc. This is what makes it a military helicopter. It is a matter of spec, fit, and useage.

cushtac wrote:
    Then how come it didn't win the competition?

Top brass had problems with sikorsky and it involved the s92 prob aswell basically they made a balls of it. BTW they are training them to Operate the AW139 Overseas hence the IAC having Heli pilots in the UK for the past few months doing NVG and low Terrain training...

Top brass had problems with sikorsky and it involved the s92 prob aswell basically they made a balls of it.

Who's 'top brass'? Have you any proof of this?

There was no mention of any problems when the results of the competition was announced and Sikorski would have been quick to lodge a complaint if they thought the tender hadn't been run properly (just look at Eurocopter & the MLH competition).

The S92 contract was all over the news....

I'm well aware of what happened to the MLH contract, I want to know what you think this had to do with the UH contract.

You state that the Air Corp had 'begged' for the Blackhawk, but 'top brass' had some sort of problem with Sikorski and this affected the outcome of the competition. So are you alleging that the tender was somehow skewed against Sikorski? Or Sikorski made an arse of things at their end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

I dont like it we should have gotten UH60's like the ARW and IAC were asking for.

Once they can get Mary Harney into it without having to resort to a cargo net, it'll do.

Mick86 wrote:
    Once they can get Mary Harney into it without having to resort to a cargo net, it'll do.

Then something like this is needed............

kb0420DAF20Chinook20D-66420static.jpg

Seems nobody has forgotten her trip in the CASA then...:D Fat Pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Sources please...

From what I heard the UH60 is extremely maintenance intensive. Just ask the Aussies, they are less that happy with theirs.

After the Dauphin fascio and the MLH debacle( which in fairness had little to do with the DF ) I think the AC got this tender right, it's just a pity the they didn't excise the remaining units on the tender and then some.

Advertisement