Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staircase finishes

Options
  • 13-08-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for inspiration. I've a new built house with two staircases. They're made from MDF. If I can get away with it, I'd rather not put carpet on the stairs as I'm not putting it anywhere else (tiles and solid wood everywhere). What options might I have? I was thinking of those mini, mosaque tiles that come on a sheet but I would need some sort of lip to cover the edge of the step as I'm sure that part gets the worst abuse and the tiles might come off? Also not sure if tiles would be non-slip? Does anyone have any experience of alterntive finishes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Some type of heavy duty linoleum or marmoleum perhaps? Really depends on the staircase and surrounding finishes/styles...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks for the reply. I'm keeping everything plain. The kitchen and hall floors (which the staircases come from) are quarry type tiles in a creamy/fawn colour. This is not my bannister (but a google equivalent) http://www.farms-estates.com/fe/tsc%20staircase.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

we have a similar problem (mdf risers with solid wood steps which we are going to varnish) and have been looking at painting the mdf. Not sure how well that would work on the steps though

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Hi,

You could sand and varnish the stairs firstly. Then glue or tack a strip of carpet down the middle of the steps about 18" wide. This would offer a comfortable non-slip step and yet would not compromise the 'plain-ness' of the overall look.

Mike..

Are both step and riser made from MDF? Or just the riser?

Assuming it's just the riser, have you considered a faux finish to make the mdf look like wood?
    Failing that, it's hard to go wrong with black, preferably a flat or eggshell finish, alongside varnished/stained steps.

• Advertisement

I hadn't considered it until Marvel made his/her suggestion. I'm certainly going to look into it. By faux finish do you mean I need to get creative with my paintbrush and creat a grain effect or is there a special product that I've not heard of?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

The faux finish may be interesting alright, although it might be a pain mathing the steps.

(and its "his" honest)

There's off the shelf stuff like paint n grain or brushwood, which are pretty good if you use a graining tool/comb and are in any way creative. MDF makes a pretty good base for graining.
    But the downside is that you'll need to apply something to protect the finish from heavy traffic and also to take the gloss off the surface of the step. There are anti-slip sealers available AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Hi Hunnymonster.

Dont know if this will help but I saw it on an estate agents web site and really liked it. Hope it helps or enspires.

Please go to attachment to look at picture.

thanks for the suggestion damiend. I like the look of it but don't think it's practical for the moment. Maybe in a few years.

• Advertisement

thought I should come back and close this off. I used the paint and grain and it worked ok. I quite like to continuity of colour throughout the hallways.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shiny stairs!
    You won't be running down them in your stocking feet! :D

10/10 for the update & pic. Always good to see how things work out.

They do look glossy in the photo don't they. They're not as bad in real life (I'm a better handywoman than photographer!).

That looks really good....I'm always amazed by graining...most times you won't notice that it's a faux finish until you look really close or someone tells you.

Like I said above, there are anti slip clear coating if you think you need it. Also paint n grain will only take so much abuse before it chips. Coat or two of matt varnish would help IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I know for most and fair play to you hunnymonster for doing the graining,but there is graining and graining. The tools you get with that paint and grain are not great,you can get much better rubber rockers to create much much better hearts of wood,also you can get a wallet of steel combs all different sizes. MRCB in Thomas st do all the tools necessary for graining.

I must take a pic of a couple of doors I did a good few years ago to show you the difference.

Also you can get better colours/different type of wood with Rathcliffs graining scumble,also supplied in same shop.

I watched an old guy doing a shop front with a 2in brush with a lump cut out of it, a feather and a rag. Better graining than any job I've ever seen with any rocker or comb.

Agreed on the included comb with the ronseal pack, but for a DIYer it's a grand job. She's matched it in well with the stairs....a nice finishing touch is to get your thumb and dip it in the scumble/topcoat and apply "knots"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Suppose each to his own Wertz,just good rockers can make a difference in a case like that. And hunnymonster did match it in nicely. My old teacher in tech would have his thumb nail longer than the others so he would wrap a thin rag around it to figure the heart of the wood...

Advertisement