Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Un-cancelling A Phone

• 13-08-2006 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I found a phone in a taxi and it was already turned off so there was no way for me to get it back to the owner.
    With nothing else to do I decided to keep it for myslf...but the catch is that the owner seems to ahve gotten he phone cancelled.

Does anybody know if/how I can un-do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

I found a phone in a taxi and it was already turned off so there was no way for me to get it back to the owner.
    With nothing else to do I decided to keep it for myslf...but the catch is that the owner seems to ahve gotten he phone cancelled.

Does anybody know if/how I can un-do this?

You cant undo the Network bar...Do the decent thing and hand it in to a Garda station with a little bit of effort they will find the original owner for it...Just think what would you like done if it was your phone that was lost..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

damo86 wrote:
    Ya robber, wrong place to ask that question. The fact that you have listed your location as "bollox" alludes to your dubious character so I suggest you hand yourself over to the appropriate authories immediately you scumbag
    a bit harsh but surely the guy who lost the phone would of contacted the taxi company so you should of told the driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bring it back to the taxi company, someone might be looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All objects lost in a Taxi should be sent to the carriage office in Dublin Castle, if you know the taxi you found it that would help the return it.
    AFAIK if you return something to the Gaurds and it's not claimed within 90 days then it's yours.
    There is no chance of undoing the IMEI block on the phone, but if you give it to the Gaurds and get it back after it isn't claimed then you should be able to get something done by your mobile provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mobile providers only unbar with a letter from the person who blocked it. Even with that, it's around a 2 week wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll work in another country regardless of its status here if you unlock it, so if you ever plan travelling and using a foreign sim card...could come in handy.

but of course, you probably should hand it into the taxi office, I'm sure someone will be looking for it, that said though, given you didn't do that immediately the person probably already rang in to be told "nope, we don't have anything here"

The guards can easily find out who the owner is by the sim card or IMEI as the networks operators will release this information to them..It 0nly requires a little effort from the guards..(hard to get though)
    The Taxi company wont really give a ****
    A network bar is worldwide....

JohnnieM wrote:

No it's not. The phone will work outside of Ireland once its unlocked. Thats why E-Bay is flooded with cheap phones that don't work in the UK, from people selling stolen/blocked/barred phones that don't work within UK but work outside it...

HavoK wrote:
    No it's not. The phone will work outside of Ireland once its unlocked. Thats why E-Bay is flooded with cheap phones that don't work in the UK, from people selling stolen/blocked/barred phones that don't work within UK but work outside it...

http://www.gsmworld.com/using/security/index.shtml

JohnnieM wrote:

Fair enough, sorry, my mistake, I didn't realise the extent to which that had grown...but that said, how are there so many phones on Ebay that DO work outside of the UK in that case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

1huge1 wrote:
    a bit harsh but surely the guy who lost the phone would of contacted the taxi company so you should of told the driver

Yeah, I would have returned it but like I said, I couldn't.
    And no, I wouldn't have trusted the taxi driver. Nor would I expect the Gardaí to be of any help in the matter.
    And yeah, I know what it feels like, I've lost two phones in similar ways in the past.
    Anyway, it dawned on me after I posted that any method of doing this is probably not legit, so I'll leave it and apologies to anyone who's offended.

As for 'Damo', well, I can't say I'm upset about an insult based entirely on stereotypes from someone calling himself 'damo'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 hugh_jass_ie

JohnnieM wrote:
    The guards can easily find out who the owner is by the sim card or IMEI as the networks operators will release this information to them..It 0nly requires a little effort from the guards..(hard to get though)
    The Taxi company wont really give a ****

Network bars aren't worldwide dude, they work on an EIR system which is across all Irish networks only for the moment though. (I work for a cell phone company)

If you contact the provider they can check to see if the IMEI is registered and may have alternative details for the person that lost it.

Otherwise there's no way to unblock it or whitelist it, without providing proof to the Operator.

Yeah if someone knows of any easy way that I myself can get it back to the owner then I will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You found a phone, it's blocked. It's blocked for a reason. Attempt to get it back to the owner to get it recycled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you only can't turn it on because you don't know the sim pin. try putting a different sim in and seeing if the person stored phone numbers to the phone memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Contact the network for the simcard, with the sim details and or IMEI the network should be able to contact the customer, alternatively leave it into a retail store for the network, every so often we get people dropping phones into us, it really makes the customers day when they get their phone back which they figure was gone for ever.

Since you found the phone it's not your property, I'm not sure where the law stand on it, but surely by keeping it you are breaking the law.

Network bars aren't worldwide dude, they work on an EIR system which is across all Irish networks only for the moment though. (I work for a cell phone company)

If you contact the provider they can check to see if the IMEI is registered and may have alternative details for the person that lost it.

Otherwise there's no way to unblock it or whitelist it, without providing proof to the Operator.

You must have missed a thread there ... read them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Well i wasnt in a inspireable mood when picking my nickname so you'll have live with it!Tbh didn't really mean it when writing the thread i was fuelled by insulting comments by my sister(after a few glasses of wine!) overlooking what i get up to when i'm on the net!No hard feelings, anyways you know the right thing to do?
    Cheers
    damo

Yeah, no worries Damo.

I'll bring it to an o2 shop next time I'm in town, if you're sure they can get it back to the owner.

Yeah, no worries Damo.

I'll bring it to an o2 shop next time I'm in town, if you're sure they can get it back to the owner.
    Yeh, they should be able to ring O2 and give the IMEI or Sim number and have them pass a message onto the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

Yeah if someone knows of any easy way that I myself can get it back to the owner then I will do it.
    surely there must be some stored/sent messages with contact numbers like "mam" or to that effect then ring that number from a different phone and explain the story,i found a handbag with phone wallet after a night out clubbing and instead of ringing her home her mam,i checked her inbox and discovered she was texting some friend quite a bit that night about going to the club,i rang her and explained that i found her friends handbag,got her address and popped it up to her,happy campers all round:)

surely there must be some stored/sent messages with contact numbers like "mam" or to that effect then ring that number from a different phone and explain the story,i found a handbag with phone wallet after a night out clubbing and instead of ringing her home her mam,i checked her inbox and discovered she was texting some friend quite a bit that night about going to the club,i rang her and explained that i found her friends handbag,got her address and popped it up to her,happy campers all round:)
    If you decide to try this just pop another sim in the phone. Most phones these days will store message history on the phone and not the sim.

Gonna be easier to go via a shop .. or even ring up O2 yourself! 1850601747

Nah, the phone doesn't work on account of it being cancelled.

Advertisement