Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Legal Fund

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Ready willling and able to donate. To the admins i'm sorry to say more money = better legal team. At least let us help you with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Yeah I'll toss in a few aswell. Plus I've a cousin who's a barrister/solicitor thingy if that'd be any use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Legal case? Is this to do with the [EDITED] thing or the other [EVEN MORE EDITED] thing?

Or maybe it's the thing [EDITED] posted about getting [EDITED] by [EDITED] when he was at [EDITED]?

Wha?

What I'm saying here is can someone PM me and fill me in cause obviously we can't talk about [EDITED] here for fear of [EDITED].

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

In addition to the ring-fenced Boards Legal War Chest Fund, I'd like to propose and donate to the ring-fenced Boards Beer Money Victory Fund for when the admins/the community win :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Sleepy wrote:
    Or perhaps we have legal people posting here prepared to offer their services pro-bono?

Im your man.

I was watching Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasnt on but I think I pretty much got the jist of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

gandalf wrote:
    Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.

Count me in :)

"Let slip the dogs of war." (Act III, Scene I) Julius Caesar, Shakespeare.

I am sure that people will rally around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ibid wrote:
    In addition to the ring-fenced Boards Legal War Chest Fund, I'd like to propose and donate to the ring-fenced Boards Beer Money Victory Fund for when the admins/the community win :).
    actually, without wanting to jump the gun entirely, it is possible that legal costs would be refunded to the "winning side" Especially if it was known that 100s of ordinary people contributed to the fund.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

That's usually what happens isn't it? Ie. The loser, for lack of a better description, pays the winner's legal fees?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Verita wrote:
    it is not a crusade..

It is if you're an old romantic at heart and have read/watched too many fantasy books/films with knights and swords in them :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Count me in if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Time
    Money
    Effort
    Whatever is needed

<schnip>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

In addition to the legal fund, which I think is a great idea, would a letter writing campaign or online petition be of any help?

Basically a politely worded expression of our concern, as both users of boards.ie and potential customers of a certain company, at the heavy handedness of the action taken. If we harness even 1% of the registered user base thats over 600 letters. I'm sure users of thumped and cluas, and possibly other bulletin boards would lend their support as well.

I know the admins can't comment on this so perhaps one of the legal minds that browses boards could give their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Earthhorse wrote:
    I'm sure users of thumped

already PMd devore about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Using old college fundraiser idea here - the boards beers seemed to be a great success, so why not book a venue and charge €5 or €10 on the door, putting all the money towards the legal fund?
    From what I can see Boards seems to have a few budding band members amongst it's community, so maybe it might be a good idea to sign a few of them up to play (for free of course) on the evening.

EDIT - I have organised many a fundraising event in my time and would be happy to help with the organisation of it.
    I have a few venue contacts etc, could probabaly wangle some drinks promo's too (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If funds are required, can I make the suggestion of a charity poker tournament? A friend organised one in the Fitz last week which made over three grand for a Kenyan school and orphanage project and given the level of interest in poker on these boards I'd say you could guarantee a strong turnout. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

As I previously indicated - I would be happy to make a donation to help cover costs in a scenario where boards.ie is being attacked.

Not entirely sure what this specific event is, I can only assume it is a further twist in a summer-long saga. I await an announcement, or to hear about it in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I have a few venue contacts etc,

May not be that simple, many of your venue contacts may not wish to take sides on the issue. After all they will still have to make a living when this is all over.

Who knows, this post may not even disappear ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hagar wrote:
    May not be that simple, many of your venue contacts may not wish to take sides on the issue. After all they will still have to make a living when this is all over.

Who knows, this post may not even disappear ?...
    Maybe not..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ro_G

over at p45 we would be happy to round up some individuals and do a whip-a-round too. that said, it would probably only buy you 3 hours of legal defense. but anyway, we'd be happy to help if you want to give P.C. or meself a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blackadder

Folks,
    birdbath (can't recall my original log-in email addy!) from blather.net here. There's serious concern over our side about what's going on here. Also on p45.net where some people have expressed a willingness to donate small funds to any war chest which boards.ie needs to protect themselves. If they can come after boards.ie then they can come after any of us.

By the by, it might be worth googling the three 'unmentionable' letters in the google news feeds. Just doing our part to make sure that this gets into the mainstream media...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No doubt I'd help. In fact any money that I would have spent on certain gig tickets can go to a boards.ie legal fund instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Whatever money raised here will pale in significance to what they can (and will) throw at it.

But I'd prolly still throw a few bob at it to make myself feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Macros42 wrote:
    In fact any money that I would have spent on certain gig tickets can go to a boards.ie legal fund instead.
    Ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 whateveryoulike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With the amount of debate that went on here over the last two years about this particular issue, I had a feeling boards.ie would be involved in setting a precedent, positive or negative.

My time and (some of) my money are at boards's dispense, of course.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

When Boards.ie stops banning people based on the whims and egos of vain administrators and moderators, I'd be delighted to make a donation.
    A 21 day old member who talks like he's been here from day one :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't have much, I'll throw whatever I can to boards.
    Loving that sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

When Boards.ie stops banning people based on the whims and egos of vain administrators and moderators, I'd be delighted to make a donation.

You're as ignorant as the day is long.

The fact that boards is a benevolent dictatorship is the reason why the admins are getting sued, and not the posters who made allegations against a certain entity.

There is no freedom of speech on boards.ie. Therefore the admins are responsible, ultimately and for a given value of 'responsible' based around the accessibility and extensive remit of the internet, for what appears on their bulletin board.

You want freedom of speech?

Vote now for the admins releasing the personal details of all those who made allegations against a certain entity that have resulted in litigation to said entity and washing their hands of responsibility for said allegations so that said entity may take up multiple personal cases.

...what, no you say? That doesn't suit you?

Your internet anonymity doesn't protect you in landmark legal cases. Just be fucking thankful you don't have something more answerable under your avatar than a few dozen posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

You're as ignorant as the day is long.

The fact that boards is a benevolent dictatorship is the reason why the admins are getting sued, and not the posters who made allegations against a certain entity.

There is no freedom of speech on boards.ie. Therefore the admins are responsible, ultimately and for a given value of 'responsible' based around the accessibility and extensive remit of the internet, for what appears on their bulletin board.

You want freedom of speech?

Vote now for the admins releasing the personal details of all those who made allegations against a certain entity that have resulted in litigation to said entity and washing their hands of responsibility for said allegations so that said entity may take up multiple personal cases.

...what, no you say? That doesn't suit you?

Your internet anonymity doesn't protect you in landmark legal cases. Just be fucking thankful you don't have something more answerable under your avatar than a few dozen posts.

Well said.........ill also donate somthing if needed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement