Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear PI Anon Names

Options
  • 13-08-2006 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,

I was going to respond to some one ANON on PI but it seems a number of anon names are taken? Or so the system tells me! It is like they are registered?

Is is a possibilty that they could be cleared out every so often? Like the end of year? It is not like they are members. And it is an unreg forum

Just a thought.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'll look at it, but IIRC then it makes sure that you can't "anonymously" post with a registered username and it looks at previous post usernames to figure that out. I think we'd have to reset them all to 'guest' or something rather than "concernedindublin14" or whatever people post with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You could reset all of the used usernames to the same one... To people unfamiliar with Boards/PI it'll look like one seriously screwed up user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Verita

ecksor wrote:
    I'll look at it, but IIRC then it makes sure that you can't "anonymously" post with a registered username and it looks at previous post usernames to figure that out. I think we'd have to reset them all to 'guest' or something rather than "concernedindublin14" or whatever people post with.

I see where you are coming from. The cut off point is an issue.

It was just a suggestion/annoyance though. Who would have thought "anoan189654789! was taken :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

And it will look like the user is replying with the solution to his own problem.

Anyway, why not just think of something that hasnt been used yet! Theres thousands of possible names.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The unregistered usernames don't seem to be cached in any way. This means that you can post any name that isn't of a registered username. This is so that the same unregistered users can post from different locations. The only name you can't post as is 'Unregistered'.

I tried posting as username anoan189654789! and it let me post.

So, there shouldn't be a problem on the PI side. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Verita wrote:
    Hi,

I was going to respond to some one ANON on PI but it seems a number of anon names are taken? Or so the system tells me! It is like they are registered?

Is is a possibilty that they could be cleared out every so often? Like the end of year? It is not like they are members. And it is an unreg forum

Just a thought.

with only 4 posts to your name, i wouldnt have thought posting anonymously would be much a of a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Gordon wrote:

I tried posting as username anoan189654789! and it let me post.

So, there shouldn't be a problem on the PI side. :confused:

:) I think he meant that bit as a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

with only 4 posts to your name, i wouldnt have thought posting anonymously would be much a of a problem?
    Maybe he reggg'd Verita as a second account to complain about the lack of anon UN's?

Advertisement