Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying WoW

Options
  • 14-08-2006 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm in the US at the moment, and I was thinking of picking up a copy of World of Warcraft. I just wanted to check to make sure that I can access European servers using a US version of the game, as I think this was not possible when the game was originally released!

I also wanted to get any advice on what server to play on and whether I should pick alliance/horde if there's an Irish guild I can join

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

You cant unfortunatly :/

You need the version of software specific to the region. You could order it from an online UK retailer though if you wanted to play on the EU servers or just pick up an american copy to play on US servers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Im probs totally wrong but, couldn't you just change a file name and you could play on us/eu servers.

Once again probs wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

http://teaser.wow-europe.com/ should be the european client.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

sunzz wrote:
    Im probs totally wrong but, couldn't you just change a file name and you could play on us/eu servers.

Once again probs wrong.

I think its more complicated than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

In theory you could download the EU trial version or borrow the discs off a friend*

what we can't guarantee is the US cd key working with an EU version...

*that's not a warezmonkey suggestion btw, they advise you to do the same in the manual if your friend is installing the trial version

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

going back to my early wow days, when i was trying it (i.e free/private/illegal servers), there was a way to change the US client to play on EU servers, and vice versa. dunno if its still possible, and its definatly violating the EULA, so i'll stop there...

* i, in no way (any more), support or condone any illegal modifications to the game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Kiith wrote:
    going back to my early wow days, when i was trying it (i.e free/private/illegal servers), there was a way to change the US client to play on EU servers, and vice versa. dunno if its still possible, and its definatly violating the EULA, so i'll stop there...

* i, in no way (any more), support or condone any illegal modifications to the game ;)
    I'm pretty sure there are no problems with switching client versions from US to EU versions as afair, they have a sticy on the wow forums running you through the process. When I started out playing wow, I was in the WoW US beta and that particular sticky talked me through converting the client to connect to the EU servers when I signed up for the EU beta, several weeks later...

the problem lies in the account. If you buy a US version of the software, you get a US cd key compared to an EU one. The 2 arent interchangeable, although I think they might have set up a system for moving characters from US to EU...

Though, on second thoughts, I might just be thinking of CoH :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I think just to save myself the difficulty, i'm going to wait till I get back home before I buy my copy of the game!

I also wanted to ask, is it common for players to use Teamspeak or some other voice software while playing, instead of typing? I don't really like voice chat while gaming and I find it a bit of a turn-off. Also, I don't have the necessary equipment for it, so I feel that without TS, i'd be left out of the loop a little bit while gaming.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Teamspeak is fairly common but not essential and not really needed till raids at higher levels.

Even if you don't have a mic you can still download TS and listen in to the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Never seen it used pre-60, and only then in ZG and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Newaglish wrote:
    I don't have the necessary equipment for it, so I feel that without TS, i'd be left out of the loop a little bit while gaming.

game sell desktop mics for €7... good sound quality, plug into the mic jack on your pc. everyone's a winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I used to never care about voice chat but finding it far easier when cooperating with someone to be able to simply say what I want - far faster also especially when your in combat :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

and to be honest i find it easier to get to know people using voice

Advertisement