Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shared IP address issues

Options
  • 14-08-2006 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi

My website (www.eccabinets.com) is on a shared IP address. So when I ping eccabinets.com it gives me an IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx , when I enter this number direct into a browser it doesn't go to my site, instead it goes to my hosting companys' homepage.

Now I know why this happens but I have a few questions...

Is it worth it or even possible to buy a domain name which has it's own dedicated IP address? I am slightly concerned that any one dodgy site on the shared IP address can get that IP address banned from Google and my site will then be gone as well.

How can I get a list of all the sites hosted under my shared IP address without getting Internet Explorer 2 or some other ancient browser? (Apparently with older browsers even when my domain name is entered, i.e www.eccabinets.com, it'll browse to a page which will display a list of all the sites on that IP address and the user has to pick from a list, this is what I'd like to see).

Cheers
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Do you use cPanel. If you do, this applies to you, if you don't use it, forget this post.

when you enter in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx into your browser, go to:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/~eccabin##

*: ## being a number

I'm probably talking double-dutch but a similar articles may be found on google....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Is it worth it or even possible to buy a domain name which has it's own dedicated IP address? I am slightly concerned that any one dodgy site on the shared IP address can get that IP address banned from Google and my site will then be gone as well.

I see your getting into the swing of things Joe (you got a site review over on irishwebmasterfourm)

domain name and dedicated ip have no connection. The dedicated IP is arranged by your webhost. Basically all resolved traffic to the shared server you're on gets redirected to the appropriate account based on the URL. I don't believe its possible to see all the domains running on a shared server under cpanel. You will probably get a good response to this type of question over at irishwebmasterforum as Michele runs a hosting company.

If you are concerned then change host to somewhere that will give you a dedicated IP address. Also go to your webhosts site and take a look at their TOS to see if they allow 'dodgy' sites.

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes it's very easy to get your site onto a dedicated IP. Talk to your host. In terms of one particular site getting "banned from Google", I would be very surprised. I don't think I've ever heard of any site being banned from being listed on Google, but I'm not saying it doesn't happen.
    Your host will have their own pool of IP addresses. If such an event happened, you could ask them to move your site(s) onto another shared address.
    How can I get a list of all the sites hosted under my shared IP address without getting Internet Explorer 2 or some other ancient browser? (Apparently with older browsers even when my domain name is entered, i.e www.eccabinets.com, it'll browse to a page which will display a list of all the sites on that IP address and the user has to pick from a list, this is what I'd like to see).
    I don't know if you can, without asking your host. A reverse lookup on the IP address will only display the hostname of the machine itself as given to it by your host. It won't/shouldn't bring up one of the sites on the machine. I would be skeptical if an older browser would cause a list of sites to be displayed - the whole thing is controlled by the web server, the browser doesn't know that there are multiple sites on the machine.

To be honest, I think you're worrying over very little, unless your host has a reputation for hosting loads of really dodgy sites. Shared IP hosting is extremely common, and I would say that most small to medium sites are on shared IP addresses. Unless you have a particular need for a dedicated IP address, then I think you'd be wasting money to pay for one.

Advertisement