Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rossnowlagh Beach

Options
  • 14-08-2006 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

There are probably those of you who think this thread is going to be about praising our great beach that everybody loves to go to during a warm summer's day, bask in the sunshine, swim in the Atlantic and watch the babes walk by.

But NO.

This is about people who leave their rubbish on the sand and wait for the tide to come in to wash it all away.

What kind of moronic idiots do this??

A few weeks ago, one Sunday, the beach was totally jam packed. There was hardly enough space to park the car, and that something on a beach the size of Rossnowlagh beach. But as I was leaving, there were plastic bags, bottles and cans, and these horrible "Instant BBQ" foil trays lying everywhere on the beach. How ****ing difficult is it for people to take their rubbish with them and/or throw it in the nearest bin.

You know who you are. But everyone that posts here will agree with me on this point yet I'm pretty amn sure that there are those here who are guilty but too ashamed to own up to it.

And I'm sure it's not just Rossnowlagh. Something should be done about this. I don't know what though. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

i have to say i would agree that is not just with rossknowlagh.

Why in gods name people do not tidy up after themselves is beyond me.

I have always found that is the people you least expect are the guilty ones.

I beleive, that this is the ideal situation of income generation in the form of FINES for people who litter.
    I also belive that we should be running after those igonorant inbred idiots who bring their dog's for walks, either on/off leads, and turn a blind eye when the animals go to the toilet. there is health issues with this problem.

I live in a nice area and my next door neighbour has two animals, they are no even dogs, and when they get outside they soil everywhere and it is not on.

my rant over

FINE THE BA$TARDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

nanook wrote:
    I beleive, that this is the ideal situation of income generation in the form of FINES for people who litter.
    I also belive that we should be running after those igonorant inbred idiots who bring their dog's for walks, either on/off leads, and turn a blind eye when the animals go to the toilet. there is health issues with this problem.

I live in a nice area and my next door neighbour has two animals, they are no even dogs, and when they get outside they soil everywhere and it is not on.

my rant over

FINE THE BA$TARDS

Yeah, but isn't there fines in operation already? I know there is at beaches in Sligo... but as to whether these fines are imposed or not is another story! I'll bet loads of people get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

As it stands at the moment, fines don't work. How can you fine a person for leaving rubbish behind them when they're not there any more? If the car is still there, then they can't be fined as they haven't left the rubbish behind them.

Besides, the gardai don't have the manpower to control the situation. The only way they could control this is by having a unit at every exit of the beach with some units on the beach in radio contact giving car registrations of those guilty of leaving litter.

People with dogs is another story though. Yes, fine them on the spot. Loose dogs don't belong on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Madge wrote:
    Yeah, but isn't there fines in operation already? I know there is at beaches in Sligo... but as to whether these fines are imposed or not is another story! I'll bet loads of people get away with it.

so this is one of the great problems of our times.

The law is there but no one is enforcing it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I used to live 5 miles from Rossnowlagh for most of my years, and litter was always a problem, but I don't think it was anywhere near the extent that it is now.

Though, admittedly, due to the overcrowding of that beach, I used to prefer the lesser known Murvagh Beach (aka Back Strands). Though that now too has become better known, and the last day I was down, the Green Portaloo was burnt into a blub of plastic! :(

Some people have no respect for the environment or others that would also use the beaches. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Welcome to Ireland. We are a dirty country and most people couldn't care less about what they throw and where they throw it. It is a good job that fridges are quite heavy or they would be littering our beaches as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

People seem to think that beaches are a free for all. If you went inland you wouldn't expect to just throw crap everywhere (I know people do, but not to the same extent). Of course there's many beaches and other amenity areas that don't even have bins. It's not an excuse to litter, but it shows the attitude of the county councils to the problem.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

All local authorities have a phone line for reporting litter offences and the litter wardens usually act on this information. I think this is the Donegal number 074 91 72538. Actions speak louder than words.

galway008 wrote:
    All local authorities have a phone line for reporting litter offences and the litter wardens usually act on this information. I think this is the Donegal number 074 91 72538. Actions speak louder than words.

Well, the local authorities should make people more aware of this choice. And what duristition do the local authorities have? Now I'm not pointing fingers here but there are a lot of Northern reged cars on the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

Agree with you on that. Essentially the litter wardens can impose a €125 on the spot fine.

More on it here

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/environment/litter_law.html

I have heard that when a few of these are handed out the behaviour of people generally improves for a while. Altough some local authorities are reluctant to follow up non payers with arrest warrants/court appearances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

As it stands at the moment, fines don't work.

Totally don't agree with this, fines do work, what doesn't work is when laws exist but aren't being enforced. The problem is that a good precentage of people in this country are extreamly selfish and don't give a f*** about other people or the environment etc etc. These are the people who litter, they do it first and foremost because they don't care, secondly they do it because they know there won't be any consequances. How do you stop these people? Certainly not by trying to make them care, the rest of us care that's why we don't litter, no you have to make them pay, you also have to become aware that if they do litter there is a very high liklihood that they won't get away with it, this is the crux of the problem at the moment.

There are litter wardens in every part of the country now, these are the people who should be informed of littering offences not the Guards as someone suggested. Litter wardens can't be everywhere so it's up to the responsable citizens of this country to do their part. If you want this to change you should carry at the very least your local litter wardens number and report these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Charge a euro per car for access/parking and buy cc cameras with the income to monitor and offer as evidence in a prosecution

There was a thing on R.T.E. radio earlier this year about littering. They went with the litter warden to people whose bags of rubbish had been identified and interviewed the offenders while they cleaned it up. I don't think they gave names, but if you knew them it would be easy to identify them. I was shocked. As much as I abhore littering, they wouldn't have done it to a rapist or a murderer. It was stunning to think our national broadcaster would air such a humiliating thing for something like littering. By all means, prosecute the filthy b#s#a#rds, but where do our priorities lie in this country? I agree with all of the above. Sorry for going off topic. Needed to get that off my chest. (By the way, the litter warden on the show was a right condescending b#t#h).

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

I don't think they gave names, but if you knew them it would be easy to identify them. I was shocked. As much as I abhore littering, they wouldn't have done it to a rapist or a murderer.

Absolutely no sympathy for them, why would you possibly feel sorry for these people? More of the same is what I say. It's publicity like that that will make people think twice about dumping illegally and littering. Humiliation can be a very effective form of punishment, it’s cheaper than prison and I can guarantee offenders will be much less likely to offend again.

Name them and shame them. As for the condescending b#t#h you talked about...... good. I would have been the same, but even more so :D

AdrianR wrote:
    Absolutely no sympathy for them, why would you possibly feel sorry for these people? More of the same is what I say. It's publicity like that that will make people think twice about dumping illegally and littering. Humiliation can be a very effective form of punishment, it’s cheaper than prison and I can guarantee offenders will be much less likely to offend again.

I called them filthy b#st#rds. I didn't disagree with their punishment. I was just saying that what are our priorities in this country. You litter and you do the perp. walk. You kill someone by driving dangerously and nobody from R.T.E. shows up to expose you. It was over the top for littering, as bad a thing as littering is. If it was meted out by the courts, it'd be classed as cruel and unusual punishment. Our priorities are all wrong in this country.
    Having said that littering is a filthy habit. It's a pity people have such a bad attitude towards the enviroment. Maybe the best way to sort it out is to tip a wheely bin of crap into their front garden every week. See if they like picking up other peoples rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

In Singapore, anybody caught littering is fined and given a "corrective work order" (CWO). This involves wearing a fluorescent jacket with the letters "CWO" emblazoned on the back of it, while cleaning a few streets. I think the humiliation makes people think twice.

smashey wrote:
    I Singapore, anybody caught littering is fined and given a "corrective work order" (CWO). This involves wearing a fluorescent jacket with the letters "CWO" emblazoned on the back of it while cleaning a few streets. I think the humiliation makes people think twice.

Great idea. Those caught should be humiliated by cleaning up other people's litter.

I know that even chewing gum is banned in Singapore because of potential littering caused by it.

Chewing gum is banned in Westport. The council or Chamber of Commerce or someone said it was costing too much to clean up. Doesn't affect Sligo. They don't bother themselves cleaning it up. See footpath outside Four Lanterns for reference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

There should be some sort of ban on people who are convicted of this. Ban them from all our scenic areas and beaches etc for a year. Judges do this in other cases.

• Advertisement

Yeah. A restraining order. You're not allowed within 1 mile of any scenary. That means they'd be banished from our green and pleasent North West. Probably have to go and live in the Midlands or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

il gatto wrote:
    Probably have to go and live in the Midlands or something :D
    LOL! :D

il gatto wrote:
    Probably have to go and live in the Midlands or something :D

:D:D:D:D ROFL :D:D:D:D

Advertisement