Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing Height restrictions

Options
  • 14-08-2006 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi a quick question about height restrictions. We have a deck which is right up to our boundary wall. The boundary wall is only 5'. The deck is about 13" in height. We wanted to put a two 6' wooden panels along the length of the boundary wall on our side to provide some privacy. Does that exceed any height restrictions????

I read somewhere abotu 2m height restrictions, is that just in the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

It's ok, I got my answer for planning section of South Dub Co Co. 2 Metre without planning permission. Damn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

2 metres is 6 ft 6 inches.

What's the problem??????

You can install the 6 ft fence panels and still remain below the max permitted height

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

2 metres is 6 ft 6 inches.

What's the problem??????

You can install the 6 ft fence panels and still remain below the max permitted height

Probably because he is installing it on a 13" deck, making the total height 7'1"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

prospect wrote:
    Probably because he is installing it on a 13" deck, making the total height 7'1"

He could still cut the fence panels so they come in at or under the 6ft 6 inch height limit while sitting on top of the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can go to 5'8". Would that be enough. Another option would be to talk to your neighbour about it. If they have no problem with it, then your going to be ok really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Hi Folks,

No need to worry. The council have many other things to do. There are far more pressing unauthorised devlopments in Dublin and nationally to worry about a fence..

You could also thry planting a hedge which will grow to the desired height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

There are a lot of houses with 6ft fence panels sitting on top of 1ft concrete, including mine. Technically the rules are 2 metres, but 7ft seems to be allowed, its only a 10 centimetre difference and if your boundary wall is with your neighbour I am sure they would be happier with you having a 6ft fence over your deck and give them privacy.

Advertisement