Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He Snores...........

• 14-08-2006 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I'm just after spending a week away with my bf, & although it was brilliant, I have a problem:- he snores, VERY loudly.

The probelm is, I'm a very light sleeper, it takes me ages to fall asleep, & then the slightest noise wakens me again.

This is the guy I plan to spend the rest of my life with, so this is an issue for me.

I resorted to wearing ear plugs for 3 of the nights, due to sheer exhaustion, & even then I could hear him. Thing is, frequent use of ear plugs really hurts my ears, so I don't see that as being a long term solution.

Does any snoring cures work, has anyone experienced this before, has anyone any stories of how they overcame it, lived with it, etc....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I'm just after spending a week away with my bf, & although it was brilliant, I have a problem:- he snores, VERY loudly.

The probelm is, I'm a very light sleeper, it takes me ages to fall asleep, & then the slightest noise wakens me again.

This is the guy I plan to spend the rest of my life with, so this is an issue for me.

I resorted to wearing ear plugs for 3 of the nights, due to sheer exhaustion, & even then I could hear him. Thing is, frequent use of ear plugs really hurts my ears, so I don't see that as being a long term solution.

Does any snoring cures work, has anyone experienced this before, has anyone any stories of how they overcame it, lived with it, etc....

Does your boyfriend drink alot, is he overweight? I was a heavy snorer but once I quit the booze and lost over 2 stone the snoring stopped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Going through the same problem myself with the gf. Wouldn't get a wink of sleep with her.

She got this stuff from the chemist, its a spray that sprays at the back of the throat. Can't for the life of me remember it, but it seems to work. Snore-eze or something I think.

I've also heard good things about this ring you can get.

Drinking alcohol before going to bed increases chances of snoring a lot, if he drinks a lot before bed, you could try getting him to cut down.

Then there's the p***** off partner approach, wake them up then tell them to be quiet, turn around and go asleep (or try to), or remove duvet and claim it for yourself (in the midst of winter this works a treat :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If he lies on his side he shouldnt snore.

I do when I get very drunk, I find it quite embaressing really but nothing can be done. I find that lying on my side when I sleep stops its or at least certainly cuts it down (Or so Im told).

I recently heard you can get it fixed with surgery but it is quite painfull from what I heard they enlarge the holes it your nose around the bone area.

Then there's the p***** off partner approach, wake them up then tell them to be quiet, turn around and go asleep (or try to), or remove duvet and claim it for yourself (in the midst of winter this works a treat ).

Thats just cruel! :) Its not like they do it on purpose, they go to sleep the same as anyone else, only sometimes they sing like angels when they are asleep.. its very endearing really. People should actually thank you for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

My man snores like a train when he has been drinking, I hold his nose which forces him him to breath thru his mouth. When that doesnt work I sit up and roar at him "Are u taking the f*ckin p*ss!!!" which scares him no end and he turns over straight away!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No, he barely drinks at all & he's a fit as a fiddle, so no excess weight to blame either.

He sleeps on his back, which I know is the main reason, but he suffers from a really painful bad back so it's not fair to make him turn on his side (as this hurts him), & as someone else said, it's not fair to be cruel to him as he's not doing it on purpose!!

It's just really hard for me to be good humoured in the morning when I've had about an hrs sleep all night.

This is going to be an every night occurance for me eventually, & well the thought of it worries me a bit, as I'm no good without sleep.

Guess I was just hoping someone would say, yea you learn to ignore it so you don't hear it anymore, though I really doubt that could happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

BoozyBabe wrote:
    No, he barely drinks at all & he's a fit as a fiddle, so no excess weight to blame either.

He sleeps on his back, which I know is the main reason, but he suffers from a really painful bad back so it's not fair to make him turn on his side (as this hurts him), & as someone else said, it's not fair to be cruel to him as he's not doing it on purpose!!

It's just really hard for me to be good humoured in the morning when I've had about an hrs sleep all night.

This is going to be an every night occurance for me eventually, & well the thought of it worries me a bit, as I'm no good without sleep.

Guess I was just hoping someone would say, yea you learn to ignore it so you don't hear it anymore, though I really doubt that could happen

If he is going to keep snoring and u cant sleep or get used to it then sleep in different rooms! Problem solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BoozyBabe wrote:

the thing is nearly everyone snores when sleeping on their back but they're just not aware of it..this position constricts the airway thus forcing most people to breathe through their nose hence the snoring...why not try advising him to get his back checked out to see what is causing the pain..he could then sleep on his side which would stop the snoring...it's either seek help or break up with him as the longer it goes on the more resentful you will get over it

Maybe if he slept on an extra pillow or two it wouldn't restrict the airways so much and might help a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

personally, i'd think that sleeping on less pillows would be the way to go. if the neck is craned it would tighten the airway and cause snoring. a really good matress may also help matters.

you may want to get him to look into acupuncture. this could help with snoring and also his back. who knows, if his snoring isn't cured then maybe his back will and he could then sleep in a different position thus, hopefully, lessening the sound.

failing that i'd recommend those nasal strips that used to be all the rage with footballers a few years back. any chemist shlould have them.

also you say that ear plugs hurt. well, there are many different types. personally, id recommend any of the sponge ones for comfort and the wax ones for dampening sound and also comfort (though they take a fair bit of manipulation). the silicon ones should be avoided as they are just crap.

mercy, all my discussion on the properties of earplugs makes me sound like a bore.

• Advertisement

nialo wrote:
    If he is going to keep snoring and u cant sleep or get used to it then sleep in different rooms! Problem solved!

I really don't think that sleeping in a different bed in a different room from your spouse is a realistic, reasonable long term solution, do you?

personally, i'd think that sleeping on less pillows would be the way to go. if the neck is craned it would tighten the airway and cause snoring. a really good matress may also help matters.
    Well something with pillow level anyway...

Anyone else hear about those brass ring things that were supposed to help with it? You wear one on your finger when you sleep... duno if it works...

why not try advising him to get his back checked out to see what is causing the pain..he could then sleep on his side which would stop the snoring...

it's either seek help or break up with him as the longer it goes on the more resentful you will get over it

His back is a medical problem which has been checked & would take seriously drastic & extremely painful action to rectify, with no promise of improvement & serious risk of adding to the problem, so his back will not be getting any better than it currently is.

Never in a month of Sundays do I intend on breaking up with him, ever!!!!!!!
    We'll get around the problem somehow, I just don't know how yet, so was hoping some boardsters had experienced something similar.

BoozyBabe wrote:
    We'll get around the problem somehow, I just don't know how yet, so was hoping some boardsters had experienced something similar.

I try telling them to stop snoring (while they're asleep) or poke at them til they stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

BoozyBabe wrote:
    His back is a medical problem which has been checked & would take seriously drastic & extremely painful action to rectify, with no promise of improvement & serious risk of adding to the problem, so his back will not be getting any better than it currently is.

What about an orthopaeidc bed? any chance you could get something that would allow hime to be supported while he sleeps on his side.

I have a partner who snores, i put some earplugs in to deaden the noise.

One option is separate beds for when you are going to sleep after all ythe cuddles etc. then creeping back in whoever is the first to wake.

Just did a google search for you:

http://www.snoringuk.com/
    http://www.sleeppro.com/?gclid=CILv7oGj34YCFSrCEAodUhkz6g
    http://www.nosnorezone.com/?gclid=CL6P8ZOj34YCFSdWEAodxxrn6g

mandibular splints!!!

the mayo clinic has lots fo stuff:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/snoring/DS00297/DSECTION=6

I dont think a pillow over the face would be aworkable solution? :)

Couold he go to the doctor about it, he may prescribe something ot suggest an alternative course surgegy perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

you may want to get him to look into acupuncture. this could help with snoring and also his back. who knows, if his snoring isn't cured then maybe his back will and he could then sleep in a different position thus, hopefully, lessening the sound.

I would also recommend having a look into accupuncture... course I would cause the ol fella does it but there you go.

Im pretty sure hes treated people for snoring before and has definately handled his fair share of bad backs.

As an aside... sleeping on your back is actually the worst position for someone with a bad back. Sleeping on your side is the way to go.

He can also lie on his front that stops it aswell.

Basically they were the only options I was given, lie on your back or on your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

those nasal strips and the spray (you get both in Boots) worked for us while the bf was still a little overweight - he since lost some weight and does not need either anymore...

Try it, the most you can lose is 10 quid for the spray...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have always had trouble sleeping, and the same as you have issues with crabbiness in the morning. Thats Crankyness in the morning, btw, not an early morning attack of everyones favourite STD.

I tried a load of things to combat this, all of the above and they didnt really help much. But lately, I think I have cracked it. I have gotten quite addicted to this self help CD I downloaded. The idea is that you play it when you are on your way to sleep. Its like a half an hour long, and there is a guy with an incredibly calming voice telling you how to relax, and basically lulling your body into an incredibly relaxed state. There are loads of these available. It is great because when I use it I always feel really refereshed in the morning, rather than crawling out of the wrong side of bed and attacking the first poor soul who makes eye contact.

The first two times I listened to it I was laughing so hard it took two listens for it to have an effect so you do have to get over the fact that your are trying something that appears to be incredibly silly.
    But if you actually go with it, it is an incredibly relaxing way of falling asleep. By virtue of the fact that it is external noise it has the effect of masking all external noise, for me its continual car and house alarms and students throwing up, so I see no reason why it shouldnt help u with the snoring. I would definitely reccomend, downloading a free trial somewhere possibly.

note (downloading of any mp3 or CD illegally, for free, using file sharing services etc. is illegal and not condoned by boards.ie. Any user recommending this will be barred.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe his breathing is a problem, get him to try those nasal strips. I can't hurt to try it out. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Had the exact same problem. My boyfriend snores so bad the neighbours complained. I kid you not. It's terrible, especially when he drinks and he does have a drink too often but thats another story.

When i moved in with him last year i literally cried from tiredness. Like you it takes me ages to go asleep, and he falls asleep within 5 minutes so i was constantly listening to snoring and trying to sleep. I tried the screaming to shut the hell up, to roll over, digs in the back. I was frustrated as hell and got to the point where i thought the exhaustion was going to kill me. However after a few months i got used to it. Falling asleep was the hardest but once i fell asleep his snoring didn't wake me. Moving rooms at the beginning didn't work for me, cause i heard him from the next room. He stayed at my house once and my mother got up in the middle of the night thinking there was a greyhound in the house. It was his snoring. So if you are like me and even heavy breathing used to drive me mad when i was trying to sleep, now once i'm asleep im used to it and it doesn't wake me anymore.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

bluewolf wrote:

Anyone else hear about those brass ring things that were supposed to help with it? You wear one on your finger when you sleep... duno if it works...

if it's the same type that is advertised on late night tv (insincere old guy with white hair) then i can only imagine no. then again, i'm a cynic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭throwingmuses

I feel for you! I am married now to a man who snores, we have tried all those gadgets and wasted a fortune on sprays, nose rings, head supports and are tired of being ripped off. They seem to work for some people as everytime I see something recommended on one of these sites we go and waste more money on it. For a while I got quite worried about our future as it's such a strain, it's okay at the moment we have a 3 bed house and one usually ends up in another room during the night and comes back in the morning, but I don't know what will happen in the future if we have kids. The worst is going on holiday and the hotel room turns out to be tiny, one of us ends up sleeping on the floor. There's no point saying roll him over, he snores no matter what way he sleeps and of course it's not his fault. It's constant and nothing to do with weight or drink in my husband's case, it's just constant and always has been. The next step for us is firstly he's going to ask the dentist about getting something made that apparently fits into your mouth when you're asleep. After that it's the doctor (which husband is freaked out over as he has it in his head that you can get an operation to cure it but it's only a 50 / 50 chance you will survive (I joked that I was willing to take the risk if he was....). Anyway I don't have a solution, but the best piece of advice, is always have your earplus with you (they help - the Boots wax ear muffles are the ones I found most effective) and if you do end up moving in together (if you don't live together already) just make sure you have more than one bedroom. However, I wouldn't waste my money like we have on every stop snoring product. Let's face it if any of them actually worked snoring in the world would not be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My beloved snores a bit (as do I)...I have learned to live with it for the most part and actually sleep less well when we are apart though I do occasionally kick him in the calves when I am asleep by mistake still when he does snore...if I wake up and he is snoring badly I touch his nose and it stops it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mikros

It might be a bit too radical, but a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure device could be an idea. Though I'd imagine that it would be something that would have to be used under medical direction and its really aimed at sleep apnea. Maybe your doctor might be able to offer alternative ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I know a guy who can snore while sleeping on his stomach. I kid you not.

My mam is one for the "the longer you experience it the more you get used to it" method.

I used the elbow sharply to the ex-boyfriend's ribs. He learned to move/wakeup/roll over whenever he started snoring. Funny thing was he started snoring again with his next girlfriend however I shared a (platonic) bed with him about six months after we broke up and he didn't snore at all next to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I have the same problem with my gf and use earplugs sometimes. Sorry to hear you have problems with them - if they're sore or not effective you can get slightly better wax earplugs from most chemists (I assume you were using the cheapo foam ones?). Failing that, you could splash out and get a pair of super duper custom fitted earplugs.

They're the best way to go, I reckon, unless you want to take some sort of strong prescription drugs or stab your boyfriend in a sleep-deprived fit of rage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

I have been diagnosed with OSA (sleep apnea) and have been using a CPAP (continious positive airway pressure) machine for the last 6 months.

not all snorers have sleep apnea but have a look at www.isat.ie for more info and other tell tale signs. But only a proper doctor who specialises in Sleep medicne can make that call after some simple test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You snore when you lie on your back, thus, to avoide this, you stop sleeping on your back. You ensure this my sewing a pocket in the back of a t-shirt, and putting a tennis ball in it. Every time he rolls over, he'll lie on the tennis ball, and quickly lie back on his side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the_syco wrote:
    You snore when you lie on your back, thus, to avoide this, you stop sleeping on your back. You ensure this my sewing a pocket in the back of a t-shirt, and putting a tennis ball in it. Every time he rolls over, he'll lie on the tennis ball, and quickly lie back on his side.

I'm sorry but this isn't actually true as other posters have posted in this thread. I can snore when on my back, my side or on my stomach. I've tried sprays and the finger ring(waste of 50 euros) and nothing worked. Unfortunately my missus and myself have to sleep in seperate rooms. Not ideal but no other solution possible.

Syco:- My bf has to lie on his back while sleeping due to a back condition h has.
    It's the only way that allows him to wake up the next morning NOT practically paralised.

Eddie93:- I know how you feel. A previous partner also snored & I resorted to sleeping in a separate room. I've swore never to alow that to happen in a relationship again. For me it's so lonely. I waken up lots during the night & it's lovely to turn around & see your better 1/2 lying next to you.
    I'll go without sleep sooner than experience that again.
    I think sleeping beside the one you love is the most intimate time a couple can share (besides the obvious of course), there's no way I'm allowing snoring to get in the way of that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have to say I am a heavy snorer, I feel really guilty about it. I know I keep my g/f awake at night but she knows how guilty I am about it. So she says I wasn't snoring. But I always get the feeling that I was. I've tried the ring people are on about. Didn't have a g/f at the time so I made a recording. Still snored but not as loud it seemed.

I seen you said you tried ear plugs. But the problem people have with them, is that the plug is normaly to big for the ear canal. There are ones you can get from motor bike sites online and one site in the UK that just deals in ear plugs. These ones fit to the shape and size of the ear canal.

Sadly there are a few reasons as to why people snore. Rolling on your side does not always help (like me) Some are due to a lose palit of muscel that can block the airways, others are from the nasil passage colapsing and so on.

The main problem with getting snoring sorted in Ireland. Is the wait for a sleep clinic. I was booked into one a few years back. But had to wait for over 14months. When the time came up. I had forgotten all about it and was a no show :( I plan on booking my-self in again next year to see can I get something done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

sutty wrote:

The main problem with getting snoring sorted in Ireland. Is the wait for a sleep clinic. I was booked into one a few years back. But had to wait for over 14months. When the time came up. I had forgotten all about it and was a no show :( I plan on booking my-self in again next year to see can I get something done.

It depends on your GP. Some GPs see OSA (SLeep Apnea) as a very serious condition (which it can be - due to spikes in blood pressure etc during the night and the danger of unnoticed exhaustion during the day ) and will get you into a sleep clinic as soon as possible.

From initial consultation with my GP I had my sleep study done in the Mater Private in 7 weeks and my CPAP the following day.

There are loads of things that can cause snoring from a few pints to a littany of different obstructions.

If it is affecting your quality of life it is worth getting it checked out, it was my missus who pursuaded me to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If he sleeps on his side, it shouldn't be a problem, trust me. That might be all it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

Just had this conversation with a friend:
    Wax ear plugs are the answer. Or separate rooms (seriously, I've had to do that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

BoozyBabe wrote:

Sleeping on your back only makes bad back worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

BoozyBabe wrote:

Never in a month of Sundays do I intend on breaking up with him, ever!!!!!!!

In a very similiar position to yourself.
    Apparently I snore "like a freight train", my current partner was afraid to tell me at first but finally did when he just could'nt take it anymore. (Hes the most patient person I have ever met, so I must be bad).

My dentist mentioned somthing a while back about a device a dentist can make that may help, but its VERY expensive and they can't say it will definitely help.

Im VERY dubious about the ring thing, although it is ALWAYS sold-out in boots, and as its 50 euro, I'd imagine *some* people find it helpful.

It matters not which position I sleep, I snore whether im on my back, stomach or side.

By the way, (just in case), in the small print on those spray remedies etc, it does say not to use if the person has epilepsy or any history of seizures. So read the cautions carefully.

If you find anything that helps, PLEASE let me know.

b

Sleeping on your back only makes bad back worse!

NOT in his case.

Trust me, he's suffered with this for long enough now to know which positions give him more relief than others....

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement