Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese Phones work in Ireland?

• 14-08-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question but I need to know regardless.

Can anyone tell me if I would be able to use a Japanese phone back in Ireland. I'm in Tokyo for another couple of weeks and I really want to bring back my mobile to use it in Ireland.

What are the compatability issues I will face or is it just straight out impossible to use a Japanese mobile back home? (i.e. insert my irish sim card and use it on a pay as you go basis).

Any help on the subject would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,483 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the phone locked to you network in Japan?

Is it compatible with Irish GSM systems - 2G, 2.5G, 3G.

Is it worth your while get a cheapo phone for your stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Well Im not really familiar with phone technology so I'll try and explain best as I can.

Here is a link to the phone I bought in Tokyo (in English) http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/product/foma/702i/n702id/index.html

I bought a monthly bill pay type system so Im not sure if that means I'm locked to the phone company?

And I've been using it in Japan for the last 4 months so I was hoping to continue using it in Ireland when I return because I still find it a very useful and stylish phone.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We can't really tell you. Its possible its not network locked; in which case it should work here, but

1) It could be network locked

2) It could be unlocked but still, due to network specific software, have no options to input manual settings for another networks MMS/GPRS etc.

You'll have to bring it back and try it out yourself, or ring your network operator over in Japan and ask them if they will unlock it for you (I'm sure they operate on a similar system to here whereas the network will unlock your phone provided you spend X amount with them).

In the UK on some networks (and in some cases here) , phones on contract (and the very odd PAYG) are not network locked, but I obviously can't tell you how it works in Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Sorry to tell you but it won't work. DoCoMo use an older version of the 3G that is used in ireland. So from a technical point of view it won't even connect to our (3G) networks. From a software point of view it probably won't work. Maybe SMS and calls will work but any webs-based stuff has no hope of working. The software is totally DoCoMo created so 99.9999% impossible to unlock (there is no concept of unlocking in Japan). As far as I know there is only one DoCoMo phone that will work abroad, the N900iG (or somthing like that). Vodafone is a better bet but even they are extremely difficult to unlock.

Advertisement