Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Has Carson signed for Villa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

We're supposed to be making a £3m move for Liam Rosenoir and a £3m move for Jaaskaleinen.
    I'm taking everything I hear now with a pinch of salt.

Anyway as for the team. Out of our current squad what I'd like to see is:

Sorensen
    Mellberg---Cahill---Laursen---Bouma
    Reo-Coker

Petrov
    Barry
    Gabby
    Young
    Carew

Moore and Moloney on the bench will provide alternatives to Gabby/Young.
    Midfield and Forward are looking good. Berger and Gardner to come in Midfield.
    This 4-3-3 formation was what we used at the start of last season and we were brilliant then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Our starting 11 ain't all that bad, will give any of the big teams a game. But an injury to 3 or 4 key players and we're fooked.
    Gareth Barry in particular, we look horribly average when he's injured or suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Agree with Savman totally.
    The team one cold hand posted would be a great side going forward imo pacey men out wide and a big man up front who has some ball skills as well.

I'm looking for a big season out of Reo Coker who by all accounts has preformed very well preseason.

Yeah injuries could kill us totally.
    Barry or Reo would be disasterous, as well as ANYONE in defence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the starting 11 is great, no doubt about it. if we somehow manage to keep them fit and without suspension we'll do grand, conversely 4 moderate term injuries and we're relegation fodder

also, looks like carson in for the season on loan from pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Has Carson signed for Villa?

Not yet, but a deal has been agreed in principal. If pool get a replacement in the next few days he'll be going to Villa straight away on a year long loan, but if we dont he'll have to wait 2 weeks as we wont be able to register someone else for the champions league qualifier, so just in case something happens to Reina.

Apparantly the replacement may be the Lens keeper, Charles Itandje. I know absolutely nothing about him.

Carson is a good move for both parties though, Villa need a decent keeper and pool wont be able to give Carson the chances he deserves. Carson himself even said he doesnt think he's good enough yet to displace Pepe, so hopefully if he has a decent season in a decent team he can regroup and try next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Id be happy with Carson, now for a RB.

Not a fan of loan deals, less than pleased with O Neill's transfer window dealings so far. I had hoped we were past this loan deal lark :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed too. If it was a permanent deal I'd be chuffed but I was under the impression we were building a team for the future.

• Advertisement

Imagine you'd be looking at around the 10 million mark for Carson. Loan deal probably the only realistic option if ye want him.

If i was a Villa fan I'd be pretty pissed off, ye were fairly optimistic at the start of the window/close season of some big name signings

If i was a Villa fan I'd be pretty pissed off, ye were fairly optimistic at the start of the window/close season of some big name signings
    *urge to kill rising....rising....*

Please don't set us off, to say we're pissed off is an understatement. The new Villa CEO said publicly we should "expect top class signings in the summer". Then comes the Marlon Harewood signing, say no more. :rolleyes:

Ya think the CEO is holding out on the cash? or ya think O'Neill is just unable to compete with other clubs for top signings? (gordon being a prime example)

Nah Randy's said a couple of times that the cash is available, around £30m. But something is breaking down somewhere. I don't think Martin is too good in the transfer market.

Ya think the CEO is holding out on the cash? or ya think O'Neill is just unable to compete with other clubs for top signings? (gordon being a prime example)
    theres a blank cheque there for o'neill, as mon, lerner and the director of communications have all said

I don't think Martin is too good in the transfer market.

i said that when he took over and i was shot down on here, and told not to be so stupid that o'neill was one of the best in the business

hes not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rafa does not want to sell him but considering they just signed Charles Itandje and Reina isnt going anywhere maybe this could turn into a long term deal at some point in the future, which although He wasnt my top choice would def be a good signing for villa and he would be another member of that Engand U-21 squad now at home at Villa park which should make settling in easy enough.

elsewhere West Brom have cofirmed more than one club have been in contact about Davies, and i think we stand a good chance of getting him if real effort is made. He would not have to re-locate with Villa plus Spurs who are also heavily linked with him already signed the French U-21 captain this Sumer to challenge/backup King and Dawson.

Supposedly we are paying 2 mil for a season long loan deal for carson...

Double that and we'd probably get Jussi for 5 years

I don't know what more Lerner can do, O'Neill has a blank chequebook ffs.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    I don't know what more Lerner can do, O'Neill has a blank chequebook ffs.

he could get us a new manager

Helix wrote:
    That's premature. I'll give him another season, it's a results based business.

it is, but lets be honest, unless o'neill has 4 or 5 top notch signings lined up, we'r f*cked when injuries start coming in, and thats all his fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote:
    it is, but lets be honest, unless o'neill has 4 or 5 top notch signings lined up, we'r f*cked when injuries start coming in, and thats all his fault

OMG :rolleyes: Maybe DOL will come back.

atleast MON has a reputation for doing his spending late in the window from his celtic time, maybe there will be a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

atleast MON has a reputation for doing his spending late in the window from his celtic time, maybe there will be a few more.

There will be and according to celtic fans transfers are his weakness. Possibly his only weakness as a manager.
    Judge him by our results not his transfer dealings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With West Ham going a bit nutso with signings and having about 25 defenders, i could see yee raiding them for CB cover maybe, not sure if any of the fullbacks they might be willing to sell would be good enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Helix wrote:
    nonsense, what was wrong with the last 14 weeks? when the deals SHOULDVE been done to let players settle in?

it has been a crazy summer with the transfer market,look lets be realistic its not just villa in the mid table clubs who are spending,newcastle,spurs,west ham,blackburn,man city are all spending,their is more money being spent on ever more average players

Helix wrote:
    what? you mean a decent right back with england caps? again thats nonsense, we shouldve been in for him. and you forget that we were in for gordon, but he chose sunderland over us without even speaking to us, which youd have to imagine was because of the fact that zero ambition is being shown. how many more times will that happen in these magical 3 weeks youre expecting??

i think young is average at best thats my opinion,he was anonymous at spurs and he did play in a relegated team,the fact he is english is his saving grace,he has england caps coz their aint exactly a whole host of top class english rightbacks,englands results under mclaren havent set the world alight have they?

and gordon i admit we could have done coz sorenson is crap,but just reading the guardian website it said that villa were trying to hijack the move so it probably came too late

Helix wrote:
    no, you replace and improve. we have done neither. 2 words

marlon harewood?

we have improved,carew,young,agbonlahor,reo coker since start of last season,harewood aint great but as i remind people neither is heskey but guess who made him look good?

Helix wrote:
    its only common sense to buy before you sell when you have a squad as small as villas. wait til november when we're naming 16 year olds from the academy on the bench to make up numbers?

with our set up id rather see academy kids come through rather then your average overpaid deadwood clogging up the team (hughes,samuel,hendrie)

Helix wrote:
    which is why hes sold 11 and brought in 1 first teamer and 1 bench warmer, for what was already the smallest squad in the premiership?

look we obviously dont agree,you want MON gone i dont,i just think we should go past the POV that a manager spending silly money on so so players as a policy is pointless,MON is building a team i would much rather if MON bought one class player between now and end of the window rather then buying 3/4/5 average players like the very many weve had for the past few years,i read an interview with gareth barry in one of the season previews and he said CL qualification wasnt achievable for another 4yrs in his reckoning but that he sees the club able to achieve it now whereas under ellis!remember the size of the task involved villa have been in the doldrums its gona take time!.give the man a chance!

Helix wrote:

Extreemly harsh to be honest.
    O'Neill has had 2 foarys into the transfer market. How do you think he did in January when he signed Carew, Young and Maloney? Everyone thought they were great pieces of business. Just cos this summer hasn't gone to plan doesn't mean he should be fired. O'Neill and Randy have said publicly that their plan for success at Villa isn't an immediate one, it's a 4 or 5 year plan. O'Neill isn't signing crap over-priced players just for the sake of it, like Spend-Goran Erickson. I see this summer as getting rid of the deadwood (done) and making a start at rebuilding the team. Obviously he hasn't set th world alight with his signings, but thats okay (assuming he signs 1/2 more defenders!).

If you think O'Neill should go, who do you propose should replace him? Neil Warnock?

• Advertisement

i dont think o'neill should be fired, that comment was tongue in cheek

i do however feel that o'neill is the wrong man for villa

i said it when there was speculation about him, i said it when he took the job, and im saying it now. hes done nothing to change my opinion of him, instead i think hes managed to make a complete mess of this summer

ive no idea why so many people think we'll be challenging for europe, we would if we had about 7 more players at the club, but as it stands, despite having a damn fine starting 11 and a couple of solid subs, theres nothing to the team. a couple of injuries and we're in the relegation battle, thats the harsh truth of the matter

I still have full faith in O'Neill granted i'm as dissappointed as the next villain that villa havent been more active in the transfer window but tbh I'd far prefere what MON is doing (providing a few or more deadline day deals are done) then what Ericsson is doing,, although I have complete faith in Lerner it isnt unheard of investors pulling out of football clubs and without that singaporians cash Man City are fcuked imo, especially with him facing fraud charges or whatever it is.

Football is a results based business as was already said, it is not about how active you are during the transfer windows. I think MON has proved himself when it comes to getting the most out of players and I for one am willing to give him time when it comes to getting ther right players together to build the right squad for Villa.
    Rome wasnt built in a day, and to be honest if Villa end up in mid table obscurity again this season I would still be wanting MON there the following season.

shoutman wrote:
    Football is a results based business as was already said, it is not about how active you are during the transfer windows.

they ARE related tho lets be honest. you dont achieve anything with a squad as small as hours, simple as that. and that rests solely at the managers door. mon fcuked up badly this summer, and whats worse is the fact that at least once a fortnight since may hes been telling us that there will be loads of players coming in, and that we'll have a bigger squad than last year. seems to me that he doesnt have an any way decent grip on proceedings in the transfer market, simple as that
    shoutman wrote:
    I think MON has proved himself when it comes to getting the most out of players and I for one am willing to give him time when it comes to getting ther right players together to build the right squad for Villa.
    Rome wasnt built in a day, and to be honest if Villa end up in mid table obscurity again this season I would still be wanting MON there the following season.

we'll see i suppose

i just dont think mon will ever achieve anything with us. as it stands now hes in a no lose situation anyway, as he was last year. hes a media darling, so itll be a case of everything being pushed in a "plucky villa can only do so much with the small squad they have" kind of way. thats not good enough, we have resources, talent to build on, strong home support, and a good history

we need a manager with ambition

I have no doubt we have ambition MON is just a manager who will not buy players who he doesnt want, he will not buy for the sake of it. I agree that our deadwood should of been offloaded after we had an adaquete squad but at the same time every player he has brought in (even Harewood) he has a plan for, that includes the two youngsters and the lads from last year.

you could say that about any manager ever tho

doesnt mean that things will work out, ive been starting to have a very very bad feeling about this coming season in the last few days

Is the glass half empty or half full? The fact of the matter is we have a better starting XI then we did when we were playing at our best last season, and bar some bad luck ie injuries to 4 key players at the same time we should have a better season then last year.

You just seem like a habitual pessimist to me.

Anyone know of anywhere in Dublin showing the Villa match tommorrow?

• Advertisement

its on setanta, so ill be watching it at home

and im not a habitual pessimist, im a realist

i was at villa park on saturday and we were great, BUT its worrying to look at the bench

obviously we need more in terms of numbers in our squad but people are going overboard a bit when constantly refering to the number of players out, how many of them actually got game time last year. Hendrie, Samuel, Djemba Djemba etc

ive also heard (although not here) many people getting v annoyed at a "lack of ambition shown" because "Gordon chose Sunderland over Villa", this is not the case Gordon only spoke to Keane and never to MON as Villa never agreed a price with Hearts. Many here and elsewhere agreed that 9m was too much for Gordon and apparently Villa agreed, however enquiries were made so the story was picked up by the Media. I dont know if Gordon was Villa first choie as it seems they tried to ambush the deal a la they did with Harewood's moe to Wigan. I would think Carson was first choice but as a Permanent switch.

Personally i expect another two in before the season starts 1 starter and 1 v.good backup (most likely both defenders), Villa to go injury free for a while and the fact that their players dont need to gel as much as others with less ins and outs to benefit and have a good first half of the season. The squad might start to struggle because of its size around the Christmass period and just like last season i imagine maybe 2 decent signings in January, maybe players that we cant get now with no european football to offer but whose clubs may be knocked out of europe by the New Year.

im going to predict a 7th place finish and Uefa cup football next season. Roll on tomorow and Gerrard, Torres and Co.

villa had agreed a price with hearts and were given permission to talk to gordon, but he declined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not quite sure what the story was Helix but it was also reported that Villa withdrew their offer, tbh 9 million on a keeper with potential is a lot to pay.

I want MON to make signings as much as any fan but I think Carson is a beter deal I know its not permanent deal but I'm sure we could strike a deal at the end of the season if we want.

My main concern is Gardener at right back it really is very very hard to understand how a manager of MON's experience with Randy's money could allow his team to go into the first game without a natural right back.

As for Danny Mills speculation I don't want that * at Villa park, he's not a bady player but I just don't like him.

Managers in any profession are supposed to be organized and prepared for their work.
    Is MON organized for tomorrow, regardless of the result i dont think so. He's had 3 months to prepare, he left the gk situation to the last minute and the defense is running thin.
    Is a person did this in any other job, they'd face severe consequences.

• Advertisement

Fairly poor display so far imo, Ashley Young is the only impressive player imo, Barry has had his moments but other then that its very mediocre. Bouma is looking really inept, some sloppy passes and crosses where a better player would of created a good attacking chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

After that game I think a new central defender, 2 wingbacks (or leave barry in the position) and a play maker.

Lets hope that through divine intervention Real dont sign sneijder and Villa do :D

shoutman wrote:
    Fairly poor display so far imo, Ashley Young is the only impressive player imo, Barry has had his moments but other then that its very mediocre. Bouma is looking really inept, some sloppy passes and crosses where a better player would of created a good attacking chance.
    nrc was solid as fcuk again

bouma annoys me, last week he was knocking 50 yard passes around for fun, today he couldnt manage a 2 yard pass without mi****ting it

but yeh all in all a poor performance

looked a bit better in the last half hour, but you cant expect to win games only playing for 1/3 of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Villa were very poor in the first half, but decent in the second. Thought that decision for the free for their winner was disgraceful, never a free, just watch the ball:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

MON will need to splash that cash of Lerner's we need a whole new back 4, Laursen is great but just can't seem to last Mellberg is good but not top class anymore, Bouma can defend but he can't use the ball and we need full backs that can attack as well as defend. Gardener is not a right back but he did very well and he really has a bit of fight in him which is great to see in a young player. If we can get the back 4 sorted and add one midfielder whoch is top class then maybe we can push for Europe.

apparently mon said therell be 5 new faces in by the close of the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

fullstop wrote:
    Villa were very poor in the first half, but decent in the second. Thought that decision for the free for their winner was disgraceful, never a free, just watch the ball:mad:

The ball was past him, the free was given for impeding the progress of the player.

The ball was past him, the free was given for impeding the progress of the player.
    Yeah so you say, did you see the match?:rolleyes:

yeh but obstruction is an indirect freekick by the rulebook

Helix wrote:
    yeh but obstruction is an indirect freekick by the rulebook
    Correct;) Even if it was a free, which it wasn't, it had to be indirect

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement