Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

JPA wrote:
    Bye Bye Ellis. Good Riddance. :D
    he is on longer in charge but he will still be around as he is now "President Emeritus for life" according to the takeover documents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

V1llianous wrote:
    he is on longer in charge but he will still be around as he is now "President Emeritus for life" according to the takeover documents.

Does this give him any power?

shoutman wrote:
    Does this give him any power?
    None whatsoever !

When he dies the title goes with him and hopefully the stand he named in his own honour will be renamed too.

Although I'm ever so glad the man has relenquished his strangle hold on the club, he has done his best and deserves a certain amount of respect for that.

He didn't turn Villa into a Leeds Utd. and for that at least we must be thankful.

He didnt turn us into Leeds but probably as that would have ruined his gravy train see this article. 30m for 100k investment.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1855979,00.html

On a positive note Barry has signed a new four year deal and Newcastle beaten 2-0 and we are up to second before we have even spent anything in the transfer market so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Petrov is set to be unveiled at Villa Park this week if rumours are to believed. Will sitting 2nd in the premier league after 3 games make Lerner think he might not need to sign as many cheques as he previously thought?, I hope not.

However we need to be careful we don't want to unsettle the squad too much by signing a wave of new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

V1llianous wrote:
    He didnt turn us into Leeds but probably as that would have ruined his gravy train see this article. 30m for 100k investment.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1855979,00.html

Did you read the article?
    Ellis returned after that, buying out the Bendalls and ending up owning 42% of the club. The price, he has never denied, was a little under £500,000.

Still though, he is a good business man. I wonder how much £500k in 1981 would be worth now?!?!?

EDIT: 500K in 1981 was worth 13million in 2005!!!

Did you read the article?

Still though, he is a good business man. I wonder how much £500k in 1981 would be worth now?!?!?

EDIT: 500K in 1981 was worth 13million in 2005!!!

maybe it was worth quite a bit then alright but with his salary of a couple of hundred grand a year and sales of shares he has made at least twice what he put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    I was referring to Necromomicon's post, where the impression was given that he thought Milner was still at Villa on loan. :)
    Ah yes, this is what happens when I don't get access to a tv for a day or two :)

Martin O' Neill mentioned that he'd be sitting down with Lerner in the next couple of days. Pitty he has so much money and so little time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Just back from the Villa game today. It's amazing how well we played. Every single player was brilliant.

Word in Birmingham is that Petrov will join Villa this week, with Gravesen taking his place at Celtic. We're supposed to be signing another midfielder aswell as Petrov before deadline day. Stephen Appiah is being mentioned.

There's also rumours of a £2.5m bid for Preston striker David Nugent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

V1llianous wrote:
    maybe it was worth quite a bit then alright but with his salary of a couple of hundred grand a year and sales of shares he has made at least twice what he put in.

Still though.. Doubling your investment over 25 years is not exactly asset stripping now is it..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The young strikers looked Great, Angel bagged a lovely team goal, Mellberg+Soernsen showed their worth while McCann and co worked doggedly in a well deserved victory. Villa have not been this good to watch for a long time, and this is before additions less Berson+Phillips. Martin O'Neil did suggest on MOTD that there would be an addition to the squad and that though it may be a rushed buy time-wise it wouldent mean any comprimise in quality of purchase etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

But Redknapp told BBC Radio Five Live: “I think you will find Petrov has gone to Aston Villa. That is the plan and we wish him all the best.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/08/28/story274215.html

Looks a cert now.

Yep looks like those rumours I posted about yesterday were true and Petrov will be unveiled at Villa Park by Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Sidney Govou of Lyon is linked with us in todays Times, and Woodgates agent says that there's 3 more clubs other than Boro and Newcastle who have been in touch regarding a season long loan - 1 Spanish and 2 English. Portsmouth are one, the other club wish to remain unamed, 'could be anyone really though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Govou is a very, very handy player!

Javier Saviola is now been linked: http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=413025&CPID=23&clid=178&lid=4161&title=Agent:+Villa+chasing+Saviola+deal

Now that would be a great signing.

Other reports suggested Villa were in for Tevez!!!

here is the Savola story
    The agent of Javier Saviola has claimed that Aston Villa have made an offer for the Barcelona hit-man.

The 24-year-old once again finds himself out of favour at Camp Nou having spent the past two seasons out on loan at Monaco and Sevilla.

With just one year left on his contract, Barca are keen to offload him permanently this summer but have been unable to agree a deal with interested suitors.

The likes of Arsenal, Hamburg, Bolton and Sevilla have all been linked with the Argentine, but it has now emerged that Villa have submitted an offer for the South American.

When asked whether a bid from the Midlanders had been submitted, Saviola's agent Alfredo Cabrera responded: "It is true.

"We have options in Spain, England and Italy, but there will not be definitive movement until Wednesday."

Villa are understood to be doing battle with the likes of Celta Vigo, Real Zaragoza and Villarreal for the diminutive forward who impressed for Argentina at the World Cup.

With a deal for Stilian Petrov edging ever closer, the capture of Saviola would represent another sizeable coup for Villa boss Martin O'Neill

I think Someone sat down with Randy and said that upon buying Villa, a team with a small squad which has since sold 2 players and bought none a sizeable investment would be needed in terms of newly purchased players and that he had until thursday to try and get anyone he would like to have at villa before January.

Odds are that we will only get Petrov but at least it shows Villa will only be targeting quality now Lerners here. Players with Marketable names.

irish1 wrote:
    Javier Saviola is now been linked: http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=413025&CPID=23&clid=178&lid=4161&title=Agent:+Villa+chasing+Saviola+deal

Now that would be a great signing.

Other reports suggested Villa were in for Tevez!!!
    O'Neill certainly rates him as he tried to get him to Celtic on loan:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0827/celtic.html

We are also linked with Defoe for 9m in today's Mirror.

• Advertisement

Umm hard to see Spurs selling Defoe tbh, but he would be a good signing. Next 48 hours are going to very exciting I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Saviola played alongside Angel at river plate didnt he??

If he cmoes to villa i will be delighted, and he will go straight into my fantasy footy team!! :D

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Petrov has signed on the dotted line for a 4 year contract:

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/HeadlinesDetail/0,,10265~890063,00.html

First signing of many qulaity players hopefully.

Anyone have any info on the non-petrov signings, from the looks of it two french brothers.

Damian and Yago Bellon from FC St Gallen.

Damian is a center midfielder he has gained 12 caps for the Swiss U17s and has scored 1 goal he was noticed by Aston Villa's Academy Director Bryan Jones, in a match against Wales U17's.

Yago is a winger and was also noticed while plaing for Swiss U17's he has gained 8 caps for the Swiss U17s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Petrov is a good acquisition for Villa. He certainly was able to do it on the pitch at Celtic and there is a likelihood that he will be effective in the english league as well, although it remains to be seen just at what level.

Villa have got off to a bright start this season and look as f they will perform better than in many seasons before, a top-half placing is on the cards and who knows, Europe may beckon.

Off-topic perhaps, but ....
    What does this move mean for Celtic? It certainly is good news for McGeady who should get more games perhaps, which is good news for Ireland international matches. But Petrov will be missed at Celtic, and is he really replaced?

I dont know if it was already discussed on this forum but Celtic seemed to be badly missing players up front. Vennegoor-of-Hesselink will help fill that gap to some extent.

By the way, anyone read Gordon Strachan's book that's just out? I read snippets of it in the paper. Before hand I had the upmost respect for Strachan as a football brain, able to decipher whats going on the pitch, whilst realising that he was a wee fiery red-haired Scot behind it. However, having read some of the things in the book, I am less mpressed be his wee fiery temper. He comes across as a right old bollox in his regular daily life, and more than I would have thought. a pity.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Still off topic on repercussions of Petrov leaving Celtic for Villa;

Celtic completed the signing of Gravesen almost straight away after selling petrov, so thats a pretty decent replacement. He's a little older, but offers lots going forward as well, as we especially saw in his last half season with Everton. Will probably be even more effective given the SPL's slightly lesser quality in the case of most of the teams. Could see him providing plenty of ammunition for the likes of Hesselink, Maloney, Zurawski and Miller. How has Jarosik doing there as well? Always thought he was a fairly quality player. Aside from defence, the celtic squad is looking pretty strong to me with a good deal of potential variation.

redspider wrote:
    Petrov is a good acquisition for Villa. He certainly was able to do it on the pitch at Celtic and there is a likelihood that he will be effective in the english league as well, although it remains to be seen just at what level.

Villa have got off to a bright start this season and look as f they will perform better than in many seasons before, a top-half placing is on the cards and who knows, Europe may beckon.

Off-topic perhaps, but ....
    What does this move mean for Celtic? It certainly is good news for McGeady who should get more games perhaps, which is good news for Ireland international matches. But Petrov will be missed at Celtic, and is he really replaced?

I dont know if it was already discussed on this forum but Celtic seemed to be badly missing players up front. Vennegoor-of-Hesselink will help fill that gap to some extent.

By the way, anyone read Gordon Strachan's book that's just out? I read snippets of it in the paper. Before hand I had the upmost respect for Strachan as a football brain, able to decipher whats going on the pitch, whilst realising that he was a wee fiery red-haired Scot behind it. However, having read some of the things in the book, I am less mpressed be his wee fiery temper. He comes across as a right old bollox in his regular daily life, and more than I would have thought. a pity.

Redspider

i am also waiting to see how good Petrov is in england, i have high hopes for him though cos hes one of O'Neil's boys.

There should prob be a Celtic thread like this where the above questions would get answerd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

redspider wrote:
    I think McGeady was already getting his place in the first 11 despite Petrov.

Anyways, great signing for Villa. I look forward to seeing what else O'Neill has up his slieve in the next 24 hours.

O'Neill has said they are still working and more could happen in the next 48 hours!

• Advertisement

Reports around Villa suggest Defoe is a Villa Park for talks.

Those reports about Defoe look to have been false, Milner on the other hand is definitely at Villa Park to close a deal. So thats 2 players s far, doubt there will be any more tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

According to teamtalk.com Saviola has turned down a move to us, what a shame

According to SSN Saviola snubbed a possible Villa move yesterday but Villa have yet to give up. Meanwhile im happy with Milners pos return after all heis still only 20 and willget even better IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Hate to burst your bubble lads but Milner is back in Newcastle and won't be joining you :p

Milner Latest: Winger Recalled
    NEWCASTLE United have recalled James Milner from talks with Aston Villa.

The winger had travelled down to the West Midlands on Thursday for discussions with the Villa Park outfit, but instead he will now return to Tyneside.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~890779,00.html

I'd say he's pretty pissed at having being jerked around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Bit crap on the young lad in fairness, he seemed to want to go to Villa even with O'Leary in charge.

Ah well there does Milner, he won't be happy with Newcastle!!

I can only assume Newcastle had a player lined up but a deal fell through. Very strange to call a player back like that. Why he was allowed speak to them in the first place is strange too as he's a very good player.

Starting to get slightly concerned that Villa will be facing a shock upton park debut for Teves and Maschereno, stillwishing that they got the twoclaret and blues mistaken andthat Randy's money had their moves believable

• Advertisement

for any beboers (bump)

http://www.bebo.com/grp/Grp.jsp?GrpTypeCd=BD&GrpId=1722396260

all villa fans posting on Villa updated regularily... the guy who runs it just got from a holiday and MSG me saying it would soon be fully up to date not stories about petrov signing although despite his absence posters have still been in discussion.

Well Sutton has signed eventually, probably forced upon MON now that Luke Moore could be for the rest of the season!

His famous shoulder injury looks to have finally forced him into an operation, it has been popping in and out since he was 17. It will be interesting to see if O'Neill changes his formation of plays Agathe of Berger on the left or perhaps bring Barry up to Lukes position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

irish1 wrote:
    It will be interesting to see if O'Neill changes his formation of plays Agathe of Berger on the left or perhaps bring Barry up to Lukes position.

I would imagine Baros is ahead of Sutton in the pecking order simply because Baros has been banging them in for the reserves and Sutton has been without a club for a few months.

I also would've thought Sutton was a potential deputy for Angel rather than Moore as that would keep consistent with the "Big Target Man + Small Nippy Forward" partnership up front. So with Agbonlahor its 4 options up front which cant be a bad thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Losing Moore is a huge blow to Villa, he was justifiably the first choice for them up front. Juan Pablo has just looked slow and lazy anytime he's played and Baros was typical Baros. I think Sutton could play himself into the first team if O'Neill can work his magic again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Losing Moore is a huge blow to Villa, he was justifiably the first choice for them up front. Juan Pablo has just looked slow and lazy anytime he's played and Baros was typical Baros. I think Sutton could play himself into the first team if O'Neill can work his magic again.
    From what I've seen of Villa this season (not much admittedly) I thought Angel has looked pretty bright. If O' Neill can recapture his form from two seasons ago, then Villa could do wonders this season.

• Advertisement

Sutton is evens to score at least 4 goals in the premiership this season. :)

On Agathe. He's a right back and shouldn't be thought of as anything other than that. In fact, he's an absolutely fantastic right back who has kept the likes of Ronaldinho quiet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

From what I've seen of Villa this season (not much admittedly) I thought Angel has looked pretty bright. If O' Neill can recapture his form from two seasons ago, then Villa could do wonders this season.

If he could be paired with Saviola then you have the original River Duo whacking em in.

That said Dont believe strikers should be of concern right now.

So I'm glad to see that the whole Stan Collymore deal has fizzled out!
    I would of been shocked to say the least if he was to don a villa shirt again.

Anyway I've been hearing rumbles that O'Neill is refusing to sign a new contract as he wants to remain available for champions league outfit clubs come the end of the season.

Do people really think he would play it that way?

On a side note I'm going over to Villa park to see them play spurs, I have been over there a few times most recently last christmas to see them against united. Does anyone know of anything good to do in Birmingham as I will be over there for the whole weekend.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shoutman wrote:
    Anyway I've been hearing rumbles that O'Neill is refusing to sign a new contract as he wants to remain available for champions league outfit clubs come the end of the season.

Do people really think he would play it that way?
    Not a chance.

Does anyone know of anything good to do in Birmingham as I will be over there for the whole weekend.
    I've been over a few times this year. Book yer cinema tickets now cos theres feck all else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Petrov quits international football!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6045930.stm

If I was a Bulgarian fan I wouldn't be too impressed with his reasoning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement