Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ibid wrote: »
    Why isn't Shaun Maloney starting on one of the wings with Ashley Young on the other?

he prob should be but he doesent usually, not when Carew is fit anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

he prob should be but he doesent usually, not when Carew is fit anyway.

I know he doesn't, that's the problem! I think Maloney is a good bit better than Gardner. Maloney and Young on the wings, Carew (when fit) and Gabby up front. That's a lot stronger than Gardner and Young on the wings, Moore and Gabby up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Gardner on the wing?
    I know Gabby wants to play upfront but his pace is Lethal out wide and I think its great to have a wideman who can easily come in field and knock in a few goals. Maloney is a very impressive player alright and I would like to see him get a run in the team, but I think when Carew is fit and well himself and Moore upfront with Gabby and Young as the wide man would be my preferred team.

Also I would love to see Riise and Young operating on the left, as said already, it would be lethal when villa are attacking.
    Also Villa are looking at some french lad Sebastien Bassong
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14102007/1/prem-trio-chase-metz-ace.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I think the Maloney issue has something to do with his lack of interest and/or ability in tracking back. Probably didnt have to do much of that in the SPL but if you put him on the same side as someone like Ronaldo, Joe Cole etc. then you'd be in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I agree and that's probably why we're starting to see Gardner on the right wing. He's quite good defensively and Mellberg isn't that strong in the RB position.

If anyone is able to sort Maloney out it should be MON.

Also I disagree with playing Gabby on the right wing. He's never that effective out there and is often lost for long periods of the game. I know he has lethal pace but he puts this to far better use up front.

Going back to transfers, and having watched (bits of) the Ireland game on Sat I reckon it might be worth checking out Andy Reid. He's got bags of skill and he's the type of player that would be very good for our squad. Also I see he's now captain of Charlton, so he's probably matured a bit over the last few years, even if he did have a poor spell at Spurs (mainly cos Jol didn't give him a chance).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Savman wrote:
    I think the Maloney issue has something to do with his lack of interest and/or ability in tracking back. Probably didnt have to do much of that in the SPL but if you put him on the same side as someone like Ronaldo, Joe Cole etc. then you'd be in serious trouble.

I think it would also have something to do with the big question mark hanging over Maloney's Villa career. He nearly rejoined Celtic near the end of the transfer window and I think because he could be on his way back to Celtic in January (hopefully not thought!!!), MON would prefer to give games to players that are more committed to the Villa cause (ie: Garner).

But that said, I rate Maloney very highly and hopefully he will become more adjusted to life south of the boarder and dedicate himself to Villa, because he would be a huge loss if he moved on.

Raekwon wrote: »
    he would be a huge loss if he moved on.
    See I've been thinking the same thing all along, but in reality what has Maloney contributed in his time at Villa? In January, which isn't too far away, he'll be approximately 1 year with us and other than flashes of brilliance I'm not so sure why we're all so keen to hold onto a player who quite obviously doesn't want to stick around.

He is a super player, but other than some Carling Cup cameos and impact sub appearances, he has yet to prove himself in the Premiership. If he was to leave, and unfortunately it looks like he will, no manager worth his salt would ever risk bringing him to England again. He would be a proven flop, just like the many others who have failed to live up to expectations over the years.

I'm not disputing Maloney's talent, I think he's a class act but I really struggle to see where he fits into the team. Obviously Ashley Young's superb form is keeping him out of the side and although we have no solid Right Winger, I don't think MON sees Maloney as the person for that role for reasons stated above. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm beginning to think of Shaun as a luxury player that needs to be accommodated rather than someone who can just slot in wherever needed. We've seen Young play up front and on either wing, likewise with Gabby. We also have Mellberg doing a job at RB, Bouma can play CB or LB, Gardner seems to slot in anywhere and Barry is also emergency LB cover. If Maloney can only play in one position and that position is in a formation you cant play against Man U, Arsenal etc then he's really between a rock and a hard place.

I also dont appreciate the consistent stories linking him with a move back to Celtic. If he's gonna keep making statements about being homesick, let 'im go I say.

Savman wrote: »
    See I've been thinking the same thing all along, but in reality what has Maloney contributed in his time at Villa? In January, which isn't too far away, he'll be approximately 1 year with us and other than flashes of brilliance I'm not so sure why we're all so keen to hold onto a player who quite obviously doesn't want to stick around.

I think that's what would be most disappointing, that he has the potential to be brilliant, if only he's grow a pair. If he got a run in the team and settled a bit he could be brilliant. But your right, so far he's contributed nothing of note.

So aims for the side come January?
    Carson

Hoyte---Mellberg---Laursen---Riise

Maloney---Reo-Coker---Barry---Young

Carew---Defoe

Subs: Taylor, Bouma, Gardner, Berger, Agbonlahor.
    Pushing for places: Davies, Knight, Petrov, Osbourne, Moore, Harewood.

Looks good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Would ye all be happy to see Riise come in and take the place of Bouma? have to admit, i've been impressed with Bouma the few times i've seen him, bit rough around the edges but definately has something

• Advertisement

So aims for the side come January?
    Carson

Hoyte---Mellberg---Laursen---Riise

Maloney---Reo-Coker---Barry---Young

Carew---Defoe

Subs: Taylor, Bouma, Gardner, Berger, Agbonlahor.
    Pushing for places: Davies, Knight, Petrov, Osbourne, Moore, Harewood.

Looks good to me.

curious if you dont see him making the bench come January do you still expect Villato pay 8+mil for davies next Summer

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Would ye all be happy to see Riise come in and take the place of Bouma? have to admit, i've been impressed with Bouma the few times i've seen him, bit rough around the edges but definately has something

he could also play LM and have Young switch to RM. the team i expect come January is...

Carson

Hoyte/Boswinga---Mellberg/Davies---Laursen---Bouma

Young
    Reo-Coker
    Barry
    Riise

Gabby---Carew

subs: Taylor, Knight, Gardner, Maloney, Moore
    backup: Henderson, Petrov, Berger, Osbourne & Harewood

although i too think Defoe would be a good signing the above is what i see happening this season. I also think Mellberg and Sorenson may be having their final year at VP this year and the latter may even leave in January if given an out.

Freddy hasn't put a foot wrong at LB, so no I wouldn't be quick to drop him. In fact he's been a fairly solid and consistent performer since MON's arrival and has pretty much made that slot his own.

Sure a bit of competition would be nice, but I don't see how we can keep 2 international LB's unless the rumour of Riise means he'd be played on Left Wing, effectively pushing Young to Right Wing.

curious if you dont see him making the bench come January do you still expect Villato pay 8+mil for davies next Summer

That was my Villa side come January. It really looks like Olof is on his way out come June.

He is a super player, but other than some Carling Cup cameos and impact sub appearances, he has yet to prove himself in the Premiership. If he was to leave, and unfortunately it looks like he will, no manager worth his salt would ever risk bringing him to England again. He would be a proven flop, just like the many others who have failed to live up to expectations over the years.

I think MON brought in Maloney to replace Berger (when he was loaned out to Stoke and his Villa career looked over) because he is a similar type of player, but you are right, he hasn't exactly set the world alight during his short Villa career. He does have bags of potential though, but he really needs to get his head straight. I can seriously see him moving back to Glasgow in January (to warm the bench up there most likely) and that would be a shame because he is a player who can create something out of nothing and Villa really need this sort of player in the squad, even if it is just for last 20 minute cameos.

About transfers, Ideally MON should be looking to bring in a quality striker, a creative midfield player and of course a rightback. It's not going to be cheap but a fresh injection of new blood in an already talented side is just what we need to create competition for places and hopefully we can be up there at the end of the season challenging for a UEFA Cup spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

to warm the bench up there most likely
    No chance. He'd be back to being the star player he is. :)

it seems Villa's last minute signing Moustapha Salifou is finally going to arrive at VP, dont like the nickname he has though, gives a lot to live up to , although....

Arsenal hotshot Emmanuel Adebayor believes compatriot Moustapha Salifou will be a big hit in the Barclays Premier League.

Salifou, who has been dubbed the 'Togolese Zidane' in his homeland, should link up with Villa later this week - six weeks after joining from Swiss outfit FC Wil.

The Togo international midfielder has endured a frustrating wait for work-permit problems to be resolved since Martin O'Neill made a surprise deadline day swoop for his services.

But Premier League top scorer Adebayor is convinced his international team mate will make up for lost time when he finally does link-up with Villa.

He said: "He's a very good player with a lot of quality ­ I can see the Zidane comparison because he can keep the ball, he can dribble, he can do anything he wants with the ball. He's not that fast but he's an amazing footballer

"When I heard he'd signed for Aston Villa I was very happy for him and I hope he'll play soon and show the English public what good players Africa, and Togo particularly, can produce.

"I can't wait to see him playing in England and I don't think it'll be long ­ he should be around the team soon and I wish him all the best."

eirebhoy wrote: »
    No chance. He'd be back to being the star player he is. :)
    Star Player who flopped in the Premiership. I'm not dissing the SPL, but I find it crazy that Maloney would want to go back. People would suggest, quite rightly, that he simply wasnt good enough and nobody could really argue.
    So he has to defend a bit more, the pace is faster and he's against better opposition. The real star players rise to the challenge, not run home at the first opportunity.

I'm sure Celtic would be happy to have him back, we all know Maloney would like the move, so as far as I'm concerned he can leave unless he shows us all where his heart lies. I don't want any player in a Villa shirt who is thinking about playing somewhere else, no matter how good or talented he may be.

OTOH, should he settle in and declare his intent and commitment to the cause I would love to see him stay at VP because I realise what a talent he is.

Star Player who flopped in the Premiership.
    Would you really call him a flop? Whenever he has been given the chance he has impressed. He scores a goal and finds himself on the bench for the next game. He scores 2 goals and it's the same. He just can't do enough. He could maybe lie and tell everyone he's settled in Birmingham.

I'd have really loved for him to show England what he was about but O'Neill has denied him the opportunity. All Maloney can do is produce the goods on the pitch.

I would not call Maloney a flop and yes after some of his Cameos he prob deserved to get given a start in the next game, especially since Carews injury has seen Gabby regularily go upfront. However there are certain people who simply arent able to move from home, whether they should be or not and it seems Maloney is one of them hense the constant homesick comments and links to Celtic. hopefully come January and a year at VP he will be settled, but if not we should atleast make a profit on him. He was a steal at 1million cos of his contrat running low in scotland

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Would you really call him a flop? Whenever he has been given the chance he has impressed. He scores a goal and finds himself on the bench for the next game. He scores 2 goals and it's the same. He just can't do enough. He could maybe lie and tell everyone he's settled in Birmingham.
    No not a flop at all, but only because his chances have been limited as you say and because there's still bags and bags of untapped potential there. In fact all Villa fans are calling for him to start a few games.
    All I was suggesting is that if he does feck off, he would be a Premiership flop because it would be obvious he just couldnt stick it.

Now I'm not doubting his ability, what I really want is for him to pick himself up and take the premiership by storm because he has the fans excited every time he gets the ball. Heck, I'd even start him against Man U on Saturday, it'd give them something to worry about and give us a whole other dimension. For the record, I think Maloney is just sublime and I'm routing for him to sort his off field problems out and show what he can do. He's like our secret weapon. :D
    I'd have really loved for him to show England what he was about but O'Neill has denied him the opportunity.
    That's not true, it's actually been Ashley Young who has denied Maloney the opportunity. Young has been on top form so far. I'd probably play Agbonlahor and Moore up front with Maloney and Young in the wings. But I would wonder how Maloney would cope with the defensive side of things from there. :confused:

He spent his time under Strachan playing left wing and Strachan certainly won't let a player in that position away with their defensive duties. He'll help off the ball but obviously he's not great in that department. He nearly got himself sent off against Benfica for rash challenges.

If it was me I'd let him away with the defensive side of things. Carlo Ancelloti reckons you need 7 players in a team to do the defending. Let him stay a bit far up the pitch and catch teams on the break.

I see Fat Frank is still on the bench and Gareth 'The Legend' Barry has kept his place. Delighted for him!!

I see Fat Frank is still on the bench and Gareth 'The Legend' Barry has kept his place. Delighted for him!!

He fully deserves it, and all the praise he has been recieving lately. hopefully his continued presence in the England side will help raise Villa's profile outside of England.

elsewhere im not sure of the source but saw this on another forum

"*******kos and Aston Villa are leading the chase for Steaua's Romanian midfielder Nicolae Dica who could be leaving Romania in January.

Reports in Greek media claim that *******kos launched a €5m bid for the 27-year old Romanian international midfielder who has been of the most outstanding players at Steaua since joining Romania's most famous club in 2004. *******kos sporting director Ilija Ivic reportedly offered Dica a four-year deal worth 800.000 euros per season, but might face late competition in Premiership outfit Aston Villa who already tried to sign Dica during the summer. Villa coach Martin O'Neill is keen on Dica and might be making a move in the January transfer window."

plus

"Aston Villa have signed New Zealand U17 midfielder Lance Heslop.
    The youngster will play for Villa's Academy this season and said: "My aim is to play at the highest level and this is the first step."

from all reports ive seen Dica is very highly rated and could be a pre-emptive replacement for either Maloney or Petrov.

Edit: Why was the greek club Olymp... bleeped out?!? is that a swear now

Mellberg has suffered a back injury while on international duty with Sweden. MON doesn't know the full extent of the injury yet but said that the player will definatly miss the Sweden vs. Northern Ireland game tonight and he is rated as doubtful for Saturdays match vs Man Utd. Hopefully it will be something very minor and he recovers quickly, but it does underline yet again the frailties of the current squad when our make-shift RB gets injured we are going to have to throw in a rookie like Gardner to try and contain the likes of Ronaldo (especially when he has only been declared fit again after a groin injury).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bounty Hunter; venue on dame street

Venue on Dame Street owned by a company currently engaged in legal proceedings against this site. Thus the reason it's banned.

Venue on Dame Street owned by a company currently engaged in legal proceedings against this site. Thus the reason it's banned.

right, now it makes sense. thanks...

Mellberg has suffered a back injury while on international duty with Sweden. MON doesn't know the full extent of the injury yet but said that the player will definatly miss the Sweden vs. Northern Ireland game tonight and he is rated as doubtful for Saturdays match vs Man Utd. Hopefully it will be something very minor and he recovers quickly, but it does underline yet again the frailties of the current squad when our make-shift RB gets injured we are going to have to throw in a rookie like Gardner to try and contain the likes of Ronaldo (especially when he has only been declared fit again after a groin injury).

Mellberg just scored for sweden against NI not bad for an injured player

• Advertisement

Mellberg just scored for sweden against NI not bad for an injured player

LOL :D

Linky

Mark Lawrenson seems to love Villa this season almost every week he predicts a Villa win inc this one against Man Utd... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7043013.stm

Mark Lawrenson seems to love Villa this season almost every week he predicts a Villa win inc this one against Man Utd... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7043013.stm
    Oh great. That's all we need. Expectation.
    We have a young enough squad but I'm quietly confident about this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Haha don't worry a Lawrenson prediction won't be considered as too much expectation.

Looking into going over for the Derby match because I'll be on mid-term. Might be my first Villa game :D.

Anyway it says here that the best way to get to Villa Park from the airport is by train via the city. Is this correct? (Remember, I'm a student so rather not get taxis etc.) Thinking of getting a ticket in the Ellis Lower, this a good place?

Looking into going over for the Derby match because I'll be on mid-term. Might be my first Villa game :D.

Anyway it says here that the best way to get to Villa Park from the airport is by train via the city. Is this correct? (Remember, I'm a student so rather not get taxis etc.) Thinking of getting a ticket in the Ellis Lower, this a good place?

I was planning on going to the Arsenal game in early December. Anyway, I usually get the train from the airport and then change at New Street for Witton. It's a really short walk from there.

Btw I though it would be virtually impossible to get tickets for the 'Second City' derby??? I'd say the atmosphere would be electric for that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yup

train to new street from the airport, then train from new street to witton, 5-7 min walk from there

Cheers lads.
    Btw I though it would be virtually impossible to get tickets for the 'Second City' derby??? I'd say the atmosphere would be electric for that! :D

Nah by Derby match I mean Derby County - on November 3rd.

good news id hate to see Villa leave VP

Aston Villa will not be relocating like so many other English clubs have done, as Randy Lerner sets out his vision for the current stadium.

The Villa owner stated very frankly that no discussion or interest had cropped up regarding any move away and that they were actively looking at ways to improve the current stadium. Since purchasing the club 12 months ago, £13million has gone towards the impressive new training ground at Bodymoor and the refurbishment of the Holte Hotel. Following the completion of both projects, Lerner’s attention will now switch to the ground, and how the infrastructure can be improved though would not be drawn into specifics.

Speaking to avfc.co.uk Lerner remarked: 'We're considering it. I'd say we're focused internally on how we can upgrade Villa Park. It's premature to target any sort of area of the stadium at this point.

'We have begun to research with some firms of architects and businesses who come in and think about what you have, and how you may be able to upgrade or expand.

He added: “We're starting to get focused on how Villa and Villa Park stacks up in that light and starting to think about what we can do about it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mon to england, jose to villa?

:lol:

Ibid wrote:

Opps, my bad :o I'm not having the best of weeks :p

• Advertisement

Cheers lads.

Seriously bud do yourself a favour and get a ticket for the Holte End. It really has to be experienced and is where the most passionate fans sit.
    Although if you're easily offended....away to the North Upper with ye :D

1-0 to the Villa! come on boys. what an atmosphere too

Gabby 12'

Love you Gabby.

we cant afford to sit back and defend the lead they have too much attacking quality on the field.

wish our fans werent siging swing low... o well almost 2 there

feck "Wayne Rooney embarassing Zat Knight" to quote the comentater

OMG its all fallen apart 3-1 now

Any chance we've kept the receipt on Zat Knight and can send him back to Fulham?:D

can def see Davies getting a few starts after this. hopefully this will be a repeat of the spurs game, incredible comeback please

All 3 of these seem to have been his fault in some shape or form.

I haven't seen much of Villa this season but is Mellberg not the best organiser you have by far? Strange that he's playing right back.

Its what happens when your manager decides not to sign any rightback at all, even on a short term basis. Ridiculous stuff here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement