Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

To be fair Knight was the one at fault twice, at least he can drop Knight now start Davies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

True enough that we need a proper out and out right back.

But Zat Knight FFS what are you doing? I feel bad for the lad but he really is having a shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

It was him who missed the header for the third aswell yeah?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of Villa this season but is Mellberg not the best organiser you have by far? Strange that he's playing right back.
    he is also the only RB at the club although he would perfer to be in the centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

he should have put up more of a fight on it yeah, but not directly responsible.

Well its a centre backs job to not give the player they're marking a free header ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

he is also the only RB at the club although he would perfer to be in the centre
    Aye but full back isn't exactly the most important position on the pitch. Mellberg would get the best out of Davies. One of your reserves could fill in at full back. It'd mean that Laursen gets dropped though, he seems to be doing well.

You cant drop Laursen the man has been a phenom so far this year.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Aye but full back isn't exactly the most important position on the pitch. Mellberg would get the best out of Davies. One of your reserves could fill in at full back. It'd mean that Laursen gets dropped though, he seems to be doing well.

why the hell would you drop Laursen and not Knight

• Advertisement

why the hell would you drop Laursen and not Knight
    Bouma---Mellberg---Davies---Other

Either that or Laursen instead of Davies. Mellberg has to play centre half though imo.

Hope O'Neill gets the England or Ireland job if they become available to be honest.

until we sign the other you mention he wont when we do Mellberg will be alongside Laursen in CB and then replaced by Davies

yes here comes Maloney

I don't know I think it'd make a huge difference to have Mellberg at centre half. It'd be like playing Kenny Cunningham at right back while Andy O'Brien covers at centre half.

Course it would. We don't have a right back though because O'Neill is a halfwit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DSB wrote: »
    O'Neill is a halfwit.
    rofl

O'Neill is a halfwit.
    dont want to get into an arguement O'Neil screwed up not getting a RB in the sumer but he is the best manager a club like Villa could have.

Reo-Cokers off and the game is gone.

this would be a great game to watch for any non-villa fan.

Normally it makes sense to have players for all 11 positions in your team ya know? 1 of the fundamentals of football like.

Thats was harsh.

The sending off? A little, but he has been at those all game.

• Advertisement

Credit to Agbonlahor, he has looked dangerous throughout.

Penalty, down to 9men now OMFG were screwed

edit: great save though and knight is gone

wtf is going on in that game?

Has the ref lost it or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

****ing hell. Ref is very unmerciful :/

FFS that ref is blind, he was going away from goal and there was a defender behind him, bloody disgrace, 2 match ban for that.

Who is the ref?

Rob Styles.

Credit to Agbonlahor, he has looked dangerous throughout.

very true.

another great save by Taylor from Tevez, cant wait to see the post game interview from the mild mannerd MON, has to be livid (nearly got sent off himself earlier)

edit: Ronaldo's warming up thats all we need. and now its 4-1 and another OG how much worse can this get.

fair play to the fans though they keep singing despite what they are viewing

This is appalling. Styles is incompetent.

"4-1 and still we sing, 4-1 and still we sing" gotta love em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Styles is a joke, lets hope he gets another banning.

Or even better get demoted to a lower league, he always gives the big decisions to the big team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Not exactly sure what you're moaning about :confused: I thought he got every decision right although its arguable another ref might have not sent off Carson but to the letter of the law he was correct.

Reo-Coker prob should have just been given a talking too, his second foul wasnt that bad and the card killed the game meanwhile Carson as Irish1 said now has a 2game ban for taking down a player going away from goal even though he had a defender behind him. The ref may get the blame but united were the better team simple as, hopefully we can bounce back and get a good result in our next game like we did after other dissapointing results this season such as the Spurs or Leicster games.

with the suspensions id like to see Gardner move into the centre to replace reo-Coker and Maloney play RW. Taylor i think deserves to start in goal while carson is out too esp after how well he did when he came on, although obviously some may call for Sorenson to deputise for Carson.

hopefully we can bounce back and get a good result in our next game like we did after other dissapointing results this season such as the Spurs or Leicster games.

Spurs was after Leicester.

i meant man city not leicster (ive already started drinking...drown my sorrows) after both those games we played much better and won the following games

Ah yeah. Heres to hoping that O'Neill finds 1 of those jobs where he has 1000 right backs to choose from though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

reo coker was sent for two bookable offeses, no arguements really, and carson lunged at tevez feet first and missed the ball, its a sending off, where is the arguement? did you see the keeper argue the decision? no he just walked, he knew what he had done. the game was over at half time, not when reo-coker was dismissed

United fan yeah?

DSB I am really getting sick and tired of you. I am all for free speech etc. But your unmercifull bashing of Martin O'Neill just defy's belief!
    The man has turned a poor mid table team into a team contending for europe. Yes he has not had the best summmer when it comes to signings, yes we are missing an out and out right back and yes Petrov has played poorly for Villa.
    But why do you lambast MON anytime something in the world goes wrong. Is it his fault that Zat Knight had a nightmare today? Yes he signed him, he had done his job to an ok standard before this game and he had a bit of a shocker, **** happens get over it. It's not the managers fault!

If MON were to be offered, and accept, the English job it would be an absolute travisty for Aston Villa. He demands the upmost respect from his players and is given exactly that, as is shown by Laursen's recent comments in the media. The man is going to be a legend at Villa Park and after reading post after post of your MON bashing I still do not have the least bit of understanding of why you feel the way you do.

We all know what his pitfalls are, he hasn't gotten all the players he was aftter, fair enough, he is still the best manager Villa have had in over a decade HANDS DOWN!

So please, DSB, I urge you to stop with your MON bashing as at this stage it is getting really old and stale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shoutman wrote: »
    DSB I am really getting sick and tired of you. I am all for free speech etc. But your unmercifull bashing of Martin O'Neill just defy's belief!
    You and I both. DSB has been talking out of his arse for weeks now and the truth is on the MON issue he's very much on his own.

I didn't see the game today, sounded like a bizarre affair.

I don't see the problem. You think he is a good manager for the club, I think he is a decent enough manager, but probably not the right one for the club, big deal like.

I don't see the problem. You think he is a good manager for the club, I think he is a decent enough manager, but probably not the right one for the club, big deal like.
    Not a big deal, just gets tiresome when all your posts are like duplicate of previous ones.
    DSB wrote:
    O'Neill is a halfwit.
    DSB wrote:
    Hope O'Neill gets the England or Ireland job if they become available to be honest.
    DSB wrote:
    Its what happens when your manager decides not to sign any rightback at all, even on a short term basis. Ridiculous stuff here.
    DSB wrote:
    The only thing Petrov will be scoring will be Graeme Le Saux if he is doing pundit on the game.
    DSB wrote:
    Clearly the fact that he only has a record with weak teams isn't the only reason I amn't a fan of O'Neill.
    DSB wrote:
    But surely we should be looking for managers with proven records with good teams?
    DSB wrote:
    Martin O'Neill showing his incompetencies once more.
    DSB wrote:
    Martin O' Neill doesn't seem to take this competition seriously.
    DSB wrote:
    Come to Villa Jose.
    DSB wrote:
    Martin O' Neill is a joke.

I'll give you one thing, you're consistent.:rolleyes:

thats the perfect example of what the multi-quote is there for. yes Savman yesterdays game was a bit bizzare, but as much as it saddens me to say it we shouldent really expect anything against united even at home. They are the standard that we want to progress to long term. thankfully are next four games are all winable so heres hoping we bounce back quickly.

Fair enough on the repetitiveness, but I feel I've a right to be annoyed. I genuinely believe if we'd gotten a right-back and a different striker to Harewood, we'd have been able to give an effective push for 5th place. We've been seeing the effects of not having these on a regular basis, so its not too ridiculous for me to be regularly annoyed. I mean the right-back thing is the worst, surely the fundamentals of management involve having a player for every position in the team. We've conceded 12 goals in 9, despite having 3 really good defenders in the other positions, and a really good goalkeeper. Even a short-term measure would have sufficed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

kryogen wrote:
    reo coker was sent for two bookable offeses, no arguements really, and carson lunged at tevez feet first and missed the ball, its a sending off, where is the arguement?

Firstly both of the Reo-Coker fouls were both very harsh bookings. If Rob Styles had any sort of cop-on he would have just given two free kicks and one booking at the very most. Secondly Carson's tackle on Tevez was a sure fire penalty but not a sending off. Tevez was running away from goal and there was a defender on the line, if Carson had come running out of his area and taken Tevez out then fair enough but that wasn't the case. Anyway if Van der saar had brought down Abonglahor in the box even though Pique was covering behind him should he have seen a straight red? Penalty, yes! Straight red, no.

Anyway yesterday was a bad day at the office, we were shown a different level of football from a very good side with some excellent players. Hopefully MON can get us back on track and keep these sort of performances to a minimum. Also Curtis Davis needs to replace Zat Knight because he is playing consistently bad and is turning into abit of a liability at the centre of defence.

• Advertisement

DSB are you suggesting that we would not have conceded all those goals with a recognised Right Back in the team? There may be a good argument for that in the Spurs game in particular but otherwise it's just hypothetical. Mellberg has been doing a decent job at RB.

MON has already acknowledged the RB issue and has indicated he was prepared to wait for the right one. There's no point re-hashing that debate every game it just gets mundane.

Mellberg has been doing a good job in Right Back, but he'd be doing a better 1 in Centre Back where he can orchestrate everything that happens in the Villa defence. Yesterday evening I felt we lacked that in particular.

And acknowledging the problem isn't much help really. But you're probably right in the sense that me moaning won't change a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

We all know it was only a matter of time before Knight played like that. He's useless, in the same both as Harewood yet why we wasted 8million on these ape's beggers belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Savman wrote: »
    Mellberg has been doing a decent job at RB.
    QUOTE]

This is true, but he is sorely missed in the centre, as we saw yesterday. To be honest I'd prefer to see Gardner at RB and see Ollie move into the middle with Laursen. Either way, Knight has to be dropped for a while. Can't understand why MON let Cahill go out on loan and Ridgewell sold to Birmingham then we get this chump instead. I don't think either would have made the same number of mistakes as Twat Knight.

Can't understand why MON let Cahill go out on loan and Ridgewell sold to Birmingham then we get this chump instead. I don't think either would have made the same number of mistakes as Twat Knight.
    That's harsh. A bad display against a team like Man U will always provoke knee jerk reactions. Knight has been decent and fairly consistent since the end of August. It's highly likely Davies will get his run now, so its up to him to grab his chance.

All I'm saying is he'll soon realise those lapses in concentration will get him benched, I've no argument there, but let's not start giving the guy stick. He could bounce back and bail us out when needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if MON doesn't drop him next week and gives him the chance to redeem himself and prove his worth.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement