Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This is absolutely awful so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

1-1. Very poor performance and I feel we were lucky to even get a point from this game. Bolton had a few shouts for a penalty and Villa's goal was pretty lucky, even though it was a good bit of opportunism.

Gabby and Young were both very lively again but nobody else really pulled their weight which is surprising after the poor performance last weekend.

Overall it's not good enough. Bolton are bottom of the table and we should be getting 3 points against opposition like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

what do people think of the rumours about barry of interest from chelsea? I would like to believe that he will stay...15mil isnt exactly a lot of money when you have a chairman like lerner, so they wont be inclined to sell him.

Yesterday's result was indeed poor. I'd say Barry would leave us but I reckon it'd have to be for far more than 15 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Gareth Barry today dismissed speculation linking him with a move to Chelsea, insisting: "I'd like to reassure fans that I am not looking to leave."

The Villa skipper's early season form has been enough to earn an England recall and he is now rightly regarded as one of the top midfielders in the Barclays Premier League.

Predictably that has prompted speculation linking the 26-year-old to one of the big-four and newspaper reports yesterday claimed Chelsea are showing an interest.

Barry responded: "I saw the story but it was the first I'd heard of it. Of course I am happy at Villa. I guess it is just a reflection of how I am doing at club and international level.

"How true it is I don't know. I certainly won't be worrying about it or thinking about it. I'd like to reassure fans that I am not looking to leave.

"The manager, Chairman - we are all going in the right direction. These things come up suddenly from time to time, and I don't know how true they are. "

doesnt look like hes interested in goin anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Barry will be at Villa for life, and you can quote me on that.

wouldnt go saying that now, thats another 7-8 years down the line

I stand by it, cant really put it into words why (i will find a way if i have to) but i dont see Barry ever leaving Villa Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Cant see Barry going anywhere at present. Hardly surprising he is being linked to a bigger team though.

Only saw the highlights of yesterday and it looked very unimpressive. Knight and Laursen both got lucky after two dodgy passbacks.

I stand by it, cant really put it into words why (i will find a way if i have to) but i dont see Barry ever leaving Villa Park

in the current climate yes, doesnt look like he'll be going anywhere

18 months ago tho, he was a few days away from joining pompey

circumstances change

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Cant see Barry going anywhere at present. Hardly surprising he is being linked to a bigger team though.

Only saw the highlights of yesterday and it looked very unimpressive. Knight and Laursen both got lucky after two dodgy passbacks.

Davies has to be given a chance.

Shocking how people only realise how good Barry is when England play him, its not like he has consistantly produced quality for Villa for years now.
    in the current climate yes, doesnt look like he'll be going anywhere

18 months ago tho, he was a few days away from joining pompey

circumstances change.

exactley in the current climate with Randy behind us we have no need to sell players, especially our best players. Barry is our captain and loved by the fans, who he recently cited his love for and said they were a major reason he didnt retire from international football especially mentioning how they chanted "Barry for England" for years when he wasnt being given a look in at that level. He himself as stated above is not looking to leave. Martin O'Neil also came out responding to that article simply stating he is not for sale.

We are looking to add quality players to our squad and build around Barry, Young etc and i fully expect Barry to be at Villa for all of the MON years, after which time i would expect Barry to be in his 30s and not likely to want to leave as the only way would not be up.

He has finally established himself in one position CM, and honestly do any of the big four need a CM. Liverpool argueably have too many to accomodate another and the same could be said of the tea hes been linked to Chelsea who are suppose to be looking for more flair players anyway. Fabergas is the man at Arsenal and with him will be a DM which Arsenal truely have a converbelt of at the club Flamini, Gilberto(for exp), Denilson, Diaby ect. Infact the only one that would have made sense to me would have been Man utd if they had not signed Carrick i.e in his place, but man utd have a packed midfield when there all fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I thought Barry had a very poor game against Bolton, and he has been poor for the last few games. He was anonomous for most of the game and when he did get on the ball he seemed to either get caught in possession of make poor passes. I thought Petrov was far more effective.

Jaysus wouldn't agree with that at all. Petrov was much better than he has been before but I thought Barry was great. Went after everything and won us a good few balls that he never should have been entitled to.

Well I just thought Barry was quite poor, by his usual high standards. There was a number of occasions when he could have given a simple pass but for some reason he didn't and he just got caught in possession.

i think gb could do with a rest on saturday tbh

I thought Barry had a very poor game against Bolton, and he has been poor for the last few games. He was anonomous for most of the game and when he did get on the ball he seemed to either get caught in possession of make poor passes. I thought Petrov was far more effective.

ive heard a few people say this but he was no worse than the others in midfield and Aston villa as a whole have not been good since the international break.

Well Barry is normally our best players by some distance. It's on this standard that I'm making that comparison. And anyway I felt Petrov and Young were better than him (ie more influential, made better use of possession etc.).

Just saw this on Football365:

MELLBERG IN JUVE LINK

Posted 30/10/07 13:59EmailPrintSave

Olof Mellberg has admitted he does not know whether he will still be at Aston Villa next season, amid reports linking him with a move to Juventus.

Mellberg has been a key part of Villa's side since coming to England from Racing Santander in 2001.

But his contract expires at the end of the season and Italian sources suggest Juve are planning a summer swoop.

Mellberg is staying focused on Villa's Premier League campaign and believes it could be a successful season for the club.

Villa are currently tenth in the table but Mellberg wants to push on and qualify for the Uefa Cup before thinking about his future.

"I feel it would be an achievement if we could establish ourselves in the top of the standings and earn a place in Europe," Mellberg told Expressen.

"That would be great. Then we will see if I will be a part of the future, next season."

Uh oh.

Just saw this on Football365:

MELLBERG IN JUVE LINK

Another link (but in Swedish :p).

This is slightingly worrying news especially since Olaf was suppose to sit down with MON after last January's transfer window had closed to discuss a new contract. Nearly a year later and with only 8 months left to run on his current deal, MON would want to sit the lad down and see where his head (& heart) is at or face losing him on a Bosman.

To be honest, he has just turned 30 so I wouldn't really blame him for leaving Villa for a massive club like Juventus, but I would prefer to see him stay and partner Martin Laursen in the heart of our defence (after we sort out our right back situation).

tbh i have never expected Mellberg to be at Villa next season and think that Davies was brought in to replace him long term. Olaf is a good player and has been great for Villa inc this season where he has been desperatley needed to fill the RB void, but i would not begrudge him a last big money move to a club like Juve. Laursen is now the No.1 man at CB for Villa and next season will be partnered by a younger speedier CB wether that is Davies, Cahill or Knight.

• Advertisement

So what are your predictions for the Derby County game this weekend? (Btw Ibid are you heading over for this game?)

I'd say 3-1 to Villa with Gabby, Barry (peno) & Young getting on the score sheet. I might even throw a few quid on that score ;)

In other news the new official site will be launched on Monday, 5th of November. It is about time really because IMO the old site was in dire need of abit of a revamp.

Check out the preview of it here. (Nice touch with the old style badges).

Agreed I really dislike the current site,

Hopefully a few goals at the weekend but I will take any win.

Cant see anything but a win especially when you consider Villa's home form versus derbys form period. Infact i dont think a single person has predicted anything but that in this weekends premiership thread. id say 2-0 to Villa from Young and Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Is Luke Moore going to start in the abscence of John Carew?

would think so after scoring against Bolton and it seems it will be the next game that big John may feature in.

2-0 happy days. Moore and Laursen the scorers.

i thought Ashley young and Laursen got the goals. was worried for a while 0-0 in the second half but our quality/their lack of shone through and it ended alost exactley likei predicted.

Perhaps Young did score, I get updates on my phone and it said Moore got the second.

According to eurosport it is young who got the second goal.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was Young that scored Villa's second goal.

Nice 3 points.

Btw did anybody notice that Teletex, the Sky Sports website and the official Villa site all have the attendance for today's game at 47,938? Villa Park must have expanded over night! Looks like they won't have to fill in the corners or the ground after all ;)

So what do you lot think of the new official website?

It seems to me like the same site with a different background but I do like the new video news & match count down features. It's just a pity that they don't show match highlights and fans will still have to fork out £40 (€58) for an annual pass to AVTV.

Btw Villa have also launched an official Chinese Villa site too.

Not much traffic on here this week, I'm kind of surprised, especially with the Birmingham game coming up in a few days.

Any predications? My heart says 2-0 win for Villa but my brain says 0-0 draw, which considering it is away wouldn't be the worst result in the world. I really hope we stuff them though!!!

Btw Villa are launching a 3rd kit. Check out the pic of it below. I think it's quite nice actually :)

id be far more confident about this game if our away record was better but i can see Villa winning this one although it wont be as one sided as id like. 2-1 to the Villa id say with goals from Gabby and Reo-Coker whom despite this being his return from suspension I think could come very close to getting sent off.

because its a big derby game i dont think Davies will take Knights place just yet, even though its something id like to see, even if its for 1 or 2 games to see how he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Saw Curtis Davies at the end of the Derby game. From those few minutes, he's still not ready for Premiership football.

the beeb are suggesting Carew will be back for the derby - id much perfer to have him starting alongside Gabby with Moore coming on near the end to give big John a rest.

• Advertisement

Don't suppose anyone's up for a Villa thread meet to watch this game and go on an early afternoons session in Dublin somewhere?

I think Villa will win this 3-2 in a action packed goal fest! Ridgewell and Reo-coker to get sent off in the 80th minute.
    I'm not sure about throwing big John straight back into a starting place, although there is no doubt we are a better side when he is there and playing well, I'm not sure if he will be up to the pace from the off, maybe its better for him to come into the game later on when both teams wont be going at 130mph. Also a pacey Ridgewell wont be able to handle Gabby or Moore.

Raekwon wrote: »
    So what are your predictions for the Derby County game this weekend? (Btw Ibid are you heading over for this game?)
    Only saw this now. Yep, I went over. Had a good time but left my jacket on the train :(.
    Don't suppose anyone's up for a Villa thread meet to watch this game and go on an early afternoons session in Dublin somewhere?

I wouldn't be completely against that idea, but probably can't make it on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

With all due respect, that doesnt sound too appealing at all. It'd be the same complaints from the same people. I'd hate to have to sit thru 90mins of someone berating MON, Petrov, Knight etc.
    Ibid wrote:
    Only saw this now. Yep, I went over. Had a good time but left my jacket on the train
    Which stand did you sit in? I've sat everywhere except the North Stand. I love sitting in the Holte but also love looking at it so catch 22 really.

shoutman wrote:

Not at bad idea, but I've been invited over to my mates flat to watch the game and be the subject of their ridicule (which I hope won't happen when we play the bluenoses off the park!).
    Ibid wrote:
    Only saw this now. Yep, I went over. Had a good time but left my jacket on the train :(.

You picked a good game to go over for, a guaranteed win in front of a packed home crowd (40k+). I got tickets for the Arsenal game on Seat Exchange but because of the late kick off (5:15pm) I can only get a Ryanair flight that departs Dublin at 10am and returns home after 11pm and will cost around €140. Not the best times or price.
    Savman wrote:
    With all due respect, that doesnt sound too appealing at all. It'd be the same complaints from the same people. I'd hate to have to sit thru 90mins of someone berating MON, Petrov, Knight etc.

:rolleyes:

I would prob be up for it but like the rest this game wouldent suit me although obviously the derby is a good choice. id suggest it again a good bit in advance of some future game (maybe against/in conjuction with supporters from another thread) you know will be on TV, and honestly the people on this thread are not nearly as bad as some from other villa boards for there slating of some men in claret and blue and id imagine for the most part would contain themselves while we actually play.

• Advertisement

If it wasn't for Petrov, we'd all have met up already.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I wanted to go over to the Villa Arsenal Game with me dad but theres no 2 seats available now :/

I was gonna call the game on Sunday but I remember that when i did that with the Utd game We got hammered so gonna keep it to myself :D

Scott Carson is heading for a British record £10million transfer after Rafa Benitez revealed that Aston Villa had agreed an option to buy him.

The Liverpool manager was initially reluctant to sanction Carson's loan move to Villa Park but admitted yesterday that he had cleared the way for the England keeper to join Martin O'Neill's side on a permanent basis.

Villa have already paid £1.75m to cover his temporary stay and have been told they can keep him by parting with a further £8.25m.

Impressed with his contribution so far, O'Neill is expected to meet Carson, who has given up on trying to dislodge Pepe Reina at Anfield, in the next few weeks to discuss a long-term contract.

The Villa manager may have to move swiftly, though, after it emerged that other clubs are also monitoring the 22-year old's availability.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is known to be an admirer, but Benitez confirmed Villa were in pole position by saying: 'They have first option to buy him.'

The fee would eclipse the British record £9m Sunderland paid Hearts for Scotland's Craig Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Carson is good but £10m :O! Very steep if you ask me.

10mil is steep but he is very young and a future england keeper, I can see him being at Villa park for a very long time and if he was to move on we would recoup that fee.

last years england U-21 goalkeeper who will argueably be next years england number 1. He's only 22 and will hopefully be at Villa for a long long time. Liverpool might be making a huge profit on him (having only paid 1m for him) but we have the money and im happy were spending it, especially when you consider how crazy transfer fees are at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

future england keeper

Oh well done , you just put the mockers on him, hes doomed to a life of injuries now.

great keeper and easily worth 10 million.

kdjac

Lol kdjac.

Just got horrible news though, I've been called up to play a match tommorrow and i'll miss the feckin match!

hard luck shoutman

Carew starts as does Petrov

Petrov does very well and sets up a Ridgewell OG... hillarious

Forsell on at half time and gets a bullet header for the equaliser

but for the second time in a row ive predicted the right score:D as Gabby Agbonlahor once again puts the ball in the net... what a legend

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement