Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

What a dramatic late win!!!

This game was a potential banana skin for us but we did very well to take all three points (with a little help from Villa old boy Liam Ridgewell :p) for our first away win of the season.

Agbonlahor and Young were a both excellent again today and Gabby especially had an amazing last 5 minutes, clearing Ridgewell's header off the line then glancing in the winner on 87, excellent stuff!

Reo-Coker really should have buried that volley that dropped for him just outside the 6 yard box but it didn't matter in the end.

UP THE VILLA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

What a game. To say I love Gabriel Agbonlahor would be such an understatement haha. Young was amazing too. As was Bouma. 1 of our real unsung heroes. Credit where its due to Petrov too who had an impressive game today. Zat Knight however shows no signs of improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Well 3 points is the main thing. Didn't see the match but looks like the Bluenoses deserved something out of it.

The facts are impressive though. We're 8th in the table, one point off a UEFA cup spot. After 1/3rd of the season, having played four of the five top teams (so no "easy" third through), we're on course for either a UEFA place or to fall just short of it, which is fairly acceptable as this is only MON's second year.

We've spent some wad of cash though on players.
    Carson £10m
    Davies £8m (assumed)
    Petrov £6m
    Reo-Coker £8.5
    Young £9m
    Knight £3.5m
    Homer £4m
    Maloney £1m

= £50m

Not a bad investment in a little over a year. Thanks Randy! Keep 'em coming. A right back in January would be nice :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

DSB wrote: »
    Credit where its due to Petrov too who had an impressive game today.
    Yep, he's a man on a mission.
    Zat Knight however shows no signs of improving.
    I hold him at fault for their goal, did you see where he was? Miles out of position struggling to get back, by the time he did the ball was in the back of the net. I'm not sure that Davies is the man to come in and replace Knight but I do think he needs to be rested. Won't happen though, because in MON's eyes we're still doing fairly well with him in the team. Go figure.

Laursen was equally at fault for the goal to be fair. Dunno what he was thinking actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Savman wrote: »
    Yep, he's a man on a mission.

I hold him at fault for their goal, did you see where he was? Miles out of position struggling to get back, by the time he did the ball was in the back of the net. I'm not sure that Davies is the man to come in and replace Knight but I do think he needs to be rested. Won't happen though, because in MON's eyes we're still doing fairly well with him in the team. Go figure.

Yes he was completely out of position but he wasn't at fault. The man he was picking up didn't score. As DSB said it was Laursen who let Forrsell have a free header. However Laursen was phenominal for the rest of the game. Connanded the defence and won header after header after header.

Great win and did in a moral boosting fashion too. Good performances by Young, Gabby, Petrov. Good to see Carew back. Not so sure about Reo-Coker on the right wing tho!?

Overall siting nicely in the table, considering we've played a good few of the top teams. Next week 2 tough away matches, Boro and Blackburn. Would be nice to get one win.

UP THE VILLA!!!

I think Boro are there for the taking to be honest. Blackburn will be much more difficult, but I reckon we can get at least a draw out of it. This is the best 11 players we've had in so long. Lets just hope we can get lucky with injuries.

ReoCoker looking a bit all over the gaff lately and...someone has to say it....what a miss :eek::eek::eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

did anyone else think birmingham attempted to play the better football throughout the match?

I'm starting to despise watching villa play, 2 passes then a long ball - no wonder petrov can't settle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Good game, couldn't sit still all game.

Carson made a great save - signn him up permanently now.

Laursen, another good game pity about being nowhere for their goal.

Mellberg, commanding clearence when needed - stick him back in the middle Martin.

Barry, nice tackle to cause a bit of a niggle in the game :D - looked anonymous to me quite a lot.

Young, couldn't cope with being closed down by 2 defenders and kept running into trouble but great cross for the goal.

Petrov, really seemed up for it. A beautiful pass through a crowded defense to Moore in second half. Stayed back as well to help out the defence.

Carew, made a good effort considering it was his first outing since injury. Held ball well to relieve the early pressure.

Reo-Coker, couldn't fit in. Shocking miss and didn't get a chance to settle in midfield let alone boss it.

Bouma, threw himself into everything.

Knight, wishy washy still looks like a 5 year old chasing a bubble too much. :rolleyes: I seriously think we should put him or Davies out to the right and leave the commanding Scandinavians in the middle.

Moore, showed good commitment to keep a ball from going out but apart from that had no influence.

Gabby, my MOM. Great sliding tackle on the post to keep out a B-Lose goal and what a glancing header (surprised Taylor couldn't keep it out though) !

Magic Pips wrote: »
    did anyone else think birmingham attempted to play the better football throughout the match?

I'm starting to despise watching villa play, 2 passes then a long ball - no wonder petrov can't settle!
    I don't think I could really disagree there, all I'll say is MON is playing to Villa's strengths. Some good ball players in Young, Gabby & Barry but otherwise there's not much we can do about the system really. That said, it worked ok for Mourinho...

Just thinking there, we've got some amazing own goals this season!

Zat Knight for Fulham just before he moves to Villa!
    and now
    Liam Ridgewell, a couple of months after moving across the city! Good man Liam, still a Villa man at heart!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

supposidly there were 20 injured policemen and 17 arrests after clashes between Villa and Birmingham fans in Brum

supposidly there were 20 injured policemen and 17 arrests after clashes between Villa and Birmingham fans in Brum
    We all know where that came from. Villa fans don't go around starting fights after winning a game.:rolleyes:

Just saw this on another site....

"Knight anger at De Ridder
    'Cheat' accusations in Second City derby
    Aston Villa defender Zat Knight has accused Birmingham's Daniel De Ridder of attempting to 'cheat the referee' in Sunday's Second City derby.

Villa won the St Andrews encounter 2-1, but they survived a penalty scare when De Ridder went down in the 18-yard area under the challenge of Martin Laursen.

De Ridder was booked for diving by referee Steve Bennett as a result of the incident.

And Knight believes the Birmingham midfielder made the most of the penalty claim.

No Sympathy

"There was a minimal touch and he made the most of it," Knight told Sky Sports News.

"Obviously he has tried to cheat the referee. He is a big lad and he should have stayed on his feet."

Knight also insists that Liam Ridgewell - who left Villa for Birmingham in August - will receive no compassion from his former team-mates after gving them the lead with a 11th minute own goal.

"No, not here," added Knight when asked if he sympathised with Ridgewell.

"Obviously he gets a bit of stick being an ex-Villa player. We got the three points and that's what we are happy about."

He's damn right aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Latest news from VP today is that MON is adament on keeping Davies on for the long haul.
    Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill claims defender Curtis Davies is pushing hard for a first-team recall after recovering from his poor debut.Davies has yet to start a Premier League game for Villa since moving from West Brom in an initial loan deal which could eventually be worth around £10million to the Baggies.

The England Under-21 centre-back claimed he played like "a pub player" in the shock Carling Cup reversal at the hands of Leicester in late September - his first game for six months after recovering from a broken metatarsal.

Since then, he has had to watch from the sidelines, with O'Neill preferring the Martin Laursen and Zat Knight combination, but the Villa boss is adamant Davies has a big part to play in the club's future.

O'Neill said: "Curtis Davies has come here and he has said himself this is the longest spell he has been out of the first team anywhere in his career.

"But I haven't signed him for four or five games, I've signed him for the next x number of years and I want him to be a really big player for Aston Villa which I am sure he can be.

"This current spell - although he may not see it like this - will give him some sort of incentive so when he gets into the team, as he will inevitably, that he is in there to stay.

"He is pushing for a place. His reserve performances have been excellent and he is improving.

"He wasn't best pleased with his performance against Leicester in the Carling Cup but that is not to be held against him forever and a day."

I think Davies has loads of potential but ten million is a bit steep.

im really not sure why Davies hasnt been given his chance yet especially with MON talking so adamently about him being for the long haul not just the season. I thought the agreed fee was 8+million though not 10 (which carson is supposed to be inc the loan fee). Still cant see why Knight was signed either as i personally think Cahill is just as good and more of a prospect for the future, althouth if Mellberg leaves Knight would be a good no.3/4 centre back IMO. dont like the stories circulating about Cahill's loan perhaps becomming permanent at Sheff utd either though Villa's opinion on the matter isnt mentioned as far as i can see, they just refer to Robson wanting him and their board being willing to back such a move with 1.5m

dont like the stories circulating about Cahill's loan perhaps becomming permanent at Sheff utd either though Villa's opinion on the matter isnt mentioned as far as i can see, they just refer to Robson wanting him and their board being willing to back such a move with 1.5m
    Someone made a good point that if Cahill really was as good as Villans seem to think he is, why are no major clubs sniffing around him? Maybe £1.5m is all he's really worth and we overrate his actual ability. Have to admit I dont see all the fuss, but that bicycle kick against the noses was top class :D

On-loan defender Gary Cahill says he will not move permanently from Aston Villa to Sheffield United. (Daily Mail)

Good news about Cahill, and we may need him. Just saw this on F365:

"LAURSEN UNSURE OF VILLA FUTURE
    Posted 17/11/07 15:03EmailPrintSave

Aston Villa defender Martin Laursen has admitted he is unsure over his future at Villa Park with the club still to offer him a new contract.

The Denmark defender's current contract expires at the end of the season, meaning he is free to negotiate with other clubs in January.

Laursen, who moved to Villa Park from AC Milan, endured an injury-hit start to his career in the Midlands but has become a key member of Martin O'Neill's defence this term.

But with no offer on the table from the club, the centre-back could be forced to look elsewhere.

He told the Daily Mail: "I don't want to ask the manager about anything. He or the club can come to me if they are interested in offering me something to try to make me stay.

"I'm quite happy with the way things are going at Villa, but if they choose not to bother, I'll look somewhere else.

"For some reason, there has been no mention of what happens at the end of the season.

"January is not far off now and though I will be as focused as ever in games, my agent is looking at the situation.

"It is getting late and we have to make plans in case Villa don't come up with something."

Jesus Christ MON, sort it out.

• Advertisement

Yeah we definitely need at least 1 more season out of Laursen.

Hold on a sec, is this the same Martin Laursen who picked up 2 years of wages sitting on our treatment table? The club have stood by him and since his comeback he has vowed to repay the faith shown to him by AVFC.

Don't get me wrong he's an absolute revelation and I'm a huge fan of his, but I'm a bigger fan of the club.

The truth is, and we all know it, he's one injury away from early retirement with those well dodgey knees. Everytime he gets a knock I get that lump in back the throat feeling.

Maybe he's just weighing up his options for a last big payday next season in MLS or wherever but I'm on MON's side here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

shame on laursen,now we all know theres no such thing as player loyalty in the murdoch age,but seeing as villa stuck by laursen the past few seasons when he has been out injured all the time,surely he can understand that villa are waiting to see if he can complete a season without serious injury(something he hasnt done in 4yrs) before offering another million pound contract.of course if he decides to leave im sure another half decent club round europe will pick him up or he'll pension himself off back to one of the danish clubs.

also oh yes, i am a fan of MON but the wisdom in firstly signing,then playing regularly,zat knight beggars belief,maybe hes a stop gap signing of some sort,id rather he and not laursen to leave VP next summer

Savman wrote:
    Hold on a sec, is this the same Martin Laursen who picked up 2 years of wages sitting on our treatment table? The club have stood by him and since his comeback he has vowed to repay the faith shown to him by AVFC.

I was about to post something similar to this ^^^. It would be shocking if Laursen turned his back on Villa after the club standing by him for so long. But then again, he is in the twlight of his career so I am not surprised that he wants his future (or what could be left of it) sort out as soon as possible.

Raekwon wrote: »
    I was about to post something similar to this ^^^. It would be shocking if Laursen turned his back on Villa after the club standing by him for so long. But then again, he is in the twlight of his career so I am not surprised that he wants his future (or what could be left of it) sort out as soon as possible.

I don't think he wants to leave the club. He seems a bit miffed that the club haven't offered him a new contract. I see what people are saying about his injury and the club waiting to see what happens in that regard, but I think he's a brilliant defender and I think it would be worth the risk just to make sure he stays.

I don't think he wants to leave the club. He seems a bit miffed that the club haven't offered him a new contract. I see what people are saying about his injury and the club waiting to see what happens in that regard, but I think he's a brilliant defender and I think it would be worth the risk just to make sure he stays.

I don't think he wants to leave Villa either, but he definitely wants his future sorted out one way or another. He has been recently linked to Tottenham & FC Copenhagan (I can't find a link to that rumour) but I think if Villa offered him an extended deal he would take it. Olaf Mellberg is in a very similar situation with his contract up at the end of the season. Hopefully MON will sit these players down and sort out all it out :)

i have a feeling Laursen will sign up Melly will not. our 4 centre halves next year will be 1.Laursen 2.Davies 3.knight 4.Cahill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Laursen has been Villa's best player this season, I think the Opta stats will support that claim. He is a professional footballer getting near the end of his career so why wouldn't he push for a contract when he is playing well. You have to remember this is his career and he'll be retiring in a few years.

irish1 wrote: »
    Laursen has been Villa's best player this season, I think the Opta stats will support that claim. He is a professional footballer getting near the end of his career so why wouldn't he push for a contract when he is playing well. You have to remember this is his career and he'll be retiring in a few years.
    I just have a feeling this season is his swansong, he's defending like his life depended on it and I think that'll be one of the sole reasons we make Europe this year. Someone so injury prone can't expect long contract extensions tbh.

I'd love if we got another season or 3 out of him but I really don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Carson now the England number 1. Barry also retains his place.

• Advertisement

Ibid wrote: »
    Carson now the England number 1. Barry also retains his place.

Glad for them, but I really hope there's no injuries.

anyone see birmingham tried to get lippi to replace bruce... what are they smoking!

anyone see birmingham tried to get lippi to replace bruce... what are they smoking!
    :D

OH poor Carson!! perhaps he might be a bit cheaper after that, poor lad very bad mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

at least he didnt do it in a villa game

Helix wrote: »
    at least he didnt do it in a villa game

my sentements exactley, hopefully he will have a point to prove when he returns to VP after that. have to admit i felt bad for laughing initially at hi when it happened

edit: Darijo Srna for Villa anyone RM/RWB playing for Croatia now and at Shaktar Donetsk

Well there goes Liverpool's 10/12 million valuation of Carson out the window!!! Hopefully we can snap him up for a 'normal' price now or just swap him for Sorensen ;)

Btw: Barry was taken off at halftime and replaced by Beckham. The final nail in McClaren's coffin as England coach.......maybe the bluenose's can sign him up? :p

Raekwon wrote: »
    Well there goes Liverpool's 10/12 million valuation of Carson out the window!!! Hopefully we can snap him up for a 'normal' price now or just swap him for Sorensen ;)

Btw: Barry was taken off at halftime and replaced by Beckham. The final nail in McClaren's coffin as England coach.......maybe the bluenose's can sign him up? :p

well, that post seems a bit silly now lol

Helix wrote:
    well, that post seems a bit silly now lol

Why?

• Advertisement

coz carson made a couple of blinding saves and beckham set up the equaliser with a ball nobody else in the england squad could have played

Helix wrote:
    coz carson made a couple of blinding saves and beckham set up the equaliser with a ball nobody else in the england squad could have played

He did pull off a couple of great saves tonight and proved his class. I really hope he signs for Villa on a permanent basis, around 5 or 6 million should be enough (10 or 12 million would be nuts though!). In fairness I think he was just unlucky tonight and even unluckier that it was such a high profile game (Btw, I still think Robinson's 'air kick' vs. Croatia will be hard to beat).

As for silliness, I think England being given a lifeline by Russia and Croatia at the weekend and not being able to take advantage of it is very silly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Carson is gonna be 10 million. Tonights result will have zero bearing on that price, and so it shouldnt. One mistake halving a goalies price? now THAT is silly

I'm now a bit worried about McClaren leaving as I'm wondering will O'Neill be offered the job. I'm not really think he would take it, even though Randy has said that he wouldn't stand in his way if he was offered it.

My sentiments exactly one cold hand, I think MON is perfectly suited to international management as he constantly gets teams to overpreform.

Hopefully he will want to continue with Villa as he is young and there will be plenty of more opportunities for him to get into international management.

Mon looks like he is staying
    Martin O'Neill has emerged as favourite to succeed Steve McClaren as England coach - but is insisting he is "committed" to Aston Villa.

More StoriesWho next for the hotseat?
    O'Neill has been made 7/4 favourite by bookmakers Ladbrokes to take over after McClaren was shown the exit door after just 16 months in charge following a Football Association board meeting on Thursday morning.

But O'Neill took time out only hours before England's exit from Euro 2008 was confirmed by the home defeat by Croatia to claim reports linking him to the national post were "absolute nonsense."

The Northern Irishman, who was a candidate after Sven-Goran Eriksson's departure in the summer of 2006, was upset that he was supposedly "keeping his door open" in case the FA approached him.

O'Neill said: "It is absolute nonsense. I do not even remember saying it, to be perfectly honest.

"It is utterly pointless to talk about it. I am committed to Aston Villa. I cannot end speculation. I have had it for years and years and years, no matter what you say.

"I have a big commitment to Aston Villa. It is as simple as that."

O'Neill also rubbished suggestions that his trip to America to see club owner Randy Lerner last week was to finalise his departure from Villa should the England job become vacant.

He said: "I went to America to see Randy Lerner on Aston Villa business and Aston Villa business alone. It's absolute nonsense for someone to suggest otherwise."

• Advertisement

i have a feeling Laursen will sign up Melly will not. our 4 centre halves next year will be 1.Laursen 2.Davies 3.knight 4.Cahill
    ----
    Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has lined up talks with Martin Laursen's agent in a bid to sort out the future of the Denmark defender whose current deal expires next summer.

But O'Neill has put on hold further discussions with makeshift right-back Olof Mellberg - also out of contract in June - after the two sides could not agree financial terms.

Laursen has been in sparkling form for Villa this season and, while on duty with Denmark last week, expressed concern over a lack of talks about a new deal.

The former AC Milan player has been linked with a move to Tottenham after putting a three-year injury nightmare behind him during the current campaign.

O'Neill said: "We have arranged a meeting with Martin's agent - but it was set up before these quotes came out while away with his country.
    ----

Melly, Carew and Gabby. Villa 3 Boro 0 today

harewood once again doesent even make the bench again. Mon knows he made a mistake. 2 away wins in a row and a clean sheet for Carson. good, good

Another brilliant win for Villa and away from home too (when was the last time that Villa had back to back away wins?)

We are now upto 7th in the table and are 9 points behind leaders Arsenal. It's looking very good for a place in Europe this season.

Happy days for Villa fans!!! :D

only 6 points behind united with a match in hand

thats insane

Excellent win but we always beat Boro at the riverside, its the one away fixture for the last 5 or 6 years where you know we'll get 3 points with the very odd exception.

My worry is the xmas period we have a lot of games coming up including the leaders and any injurys will hit hard, lets just pray the squad stays fit and we can be in the same position after xmas when Randy's money gets splashed again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement