Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Great win. Any away win is a good one in my opinion. A point against B'Burn and Arsenal would be a very good weeks work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Funny. You look at how much Liverpool have spent on big names yet we're only 3pts behind them with same number of games played. Sure we need reinforcements in January but you have to admire O'Neill's understated style for creeping up the table.
    And this is without a recognised RB which some doomsday forecasters said would cost us dearly. In fact Mellberg got some goal yesterday and playing like that he'll be hard to drop no matter who comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'm so happy with how we've done this season so far. But its unfair to criticise people who were extremely worried with the size of our squad at the start of the season. What people (myself included) were worried about was how we'd cope with an injury crisis. We've been lucky enough to avoid this happening so far and heres to hoping this continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I blame it on MON and Petrov, if it werent for them we'd be the top of the league by now...

DSB wrote: »
    I'm so happy with how we've done this season so far. But its unfair to criticise people who were extremely worried with the size of our squad at the start of the season. What people (myself included) were worried about was how we'd cope with an injury crisis. We've been lucky enough to avoid this happening so far and heres to hoping this continues.
    Lucky maybe, but we were without Carew for a good while there and he's only back from injury. There's a bit more strength to the squad now and I cant think of any position where we don't have 2 or 3 options for cover, except maybe LB.

Its a bit more the quality of the cover thats worrying.

In fairness, look thru the names who cant get into the team regularly, Davies, Gardner, Maloney, Moore, Sorensen, Osbourne, Berger...wont mention deadhead. There's even Cahill to come back off loan, if MON still wants him.

Be an interesting January...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if we win our next 2 games we'll be 3 points off the top

Helix wrote: »
    if we win our next 2 games we'll be 3 points off the top

I'd be happy with 2 draws in those 2 games, but we can always dream!

I was saying at the start of the week that it could be a tough week, 2 away games and then Arsenal at home. I was thinking if could get 1 win and 1 draw out of those 3 games that wouldn't be too bad. We've got a good start so far with the win....

with 3 away wins in a row behind us we should be looking for nothing less than the win at blackburn

that should be the intention anyway, and if we got it, who knows what could happen against arsenal, tho we'd be crazy not to be happy with a point from that

can you imagine we took maximum points tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Remember the game at Arsenal last season? Sure we took the lead but we never looked like holding it. Be delighted with a point there.

Would be great to pick up all three at Blackburn. We have the beating of them.

Does anyone is the Villa Blackburn game on the box?
    Stupid Champions League, who cares about that!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

doubt it cos like youve mentioned the champions league is on, though it may mean that Villa/Blackburn could be included in Sky's highlights of the nights football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Is the Villa match on the telly tonight?

Glad to hear that MON is hoping to sign up Laursen and Mellberg for at least another season. Good news.

Not on da box I dont think. Bit wrecked about that as I reckon it'll be a cracker!! Can we win again and make it 100% for November? Come the VILLA!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I just checked Setanta & Sky and neither of them are showing the game tonight.

It should be an interesting game, Villa are on a 3 game winning streak and are full of confidence while Blackburn haven't won in 3 games and I'm sure they will be under pressure to try and get a result tonight.

As far as the result goes, we did the double over them last season with a slightly weaker side, so I think we can pick up the 3 points tonight.

I'll go for 2-1 Villa with Agbonlahor and *Petrov bagging the goals.

*Controversial choice maybe but he is due a goal and tonight would be as good a game as any to score in.

score draw for me

2-2 i think

the paper i had earlier said Villa vs Blackburn 10.00-11.30 Sky Sports 1 which i guess would mean its the main higlights on a wednesday soccer roundup

aye they just said on sky there that they have the full highlights

• Advertisement

Big John makes it 2in2 Villa 1 Blackburn 0 wooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Why isnt Luke on the bench?

irish1 wrote: »
    Why isnt Luke on the bench?

cos harewood is, tbh Marlon has pretty much not been in any recent squad not that I think he should be but i guess he should have some involvement at Villa before he is moved on again as it seems MON has realised his signing was a mistake

Penalty! Nielson sent off

Barry Scores 2-0 Villa (53min)

starting to look like four straight wins for Villa including 3 straight away from home leaving us in joint 5th leading into Arsenal on the Weekend

Great scoreline and with 10 men we should be capable of taking 3 points as long as we don't bring harewood on remember Spurs game anyone?

Having Harewood on the bench instead of Luke is crazy, if Luke is fit he should be on the bench end of story.

Up the Villa! If it stays 2-0 we'll be in a European spot on merit and a point behind Chelsea with the same number of games played.
    Anyhoo I totally agree that the squad is totally undersized and I'd be surprised if we finish in the top half.
    DSB wrote: »
    As every day gos by I just want O Neill gone more and more.

Couple of quotes from about three months ago lads ;)

• Advertisement

I don't know Ibid I think we have been very lucky so far with injuries if we can get through xmas we will fight for a Euro spot but remember the start we had last year and how that went down the drains!

I love having Martin O'Neill as manager but I think he has made some bad mistakes this season, not signing a right back been one and signing Harewood been another, he lost us 2 points at Spurs and having him on the bench ahead of Luke Moore tonight is plain stupid if Moore is fit.

Ibid wrote: »
    Couple of quotes from about three months ago lads ;)

i mustve missed the rule change where they wrap things up after 14 league games

Actually looking at how our bench Curtis Davies is the only PL quality player on the bench.

0-3 Young scores

0-3 Young scores

cant wait for the highlights, 4wins on the spin

Up The Villa

• Advertisement

Actually looking at how our bench Curtis Davies is the only PL quality player on the bench.

and lets be honest, thats being generous to davies

signing Harewood been another, he lost us 2 points at Spurs and having him on the bench ahead of Luke Moore tonight is plain stupid if Moore is fit.

4-0 Harewood scores:D

4-0 villa

you know youve been humiliated when marlon harewood scores against you

4-0 Harewood scores:D
    lol typical He's still muck imo.

Great result against a team fighting us for Euro spot

I don't know Ibid I think we have been very lucky so far with injuries if we can get through xmas we will fight for a Euro spot but remember the start we had last year and how that went down the drains!
    Not saying we'll definitely qualify for Europe, in fact I'd say we'll probably just miss out. But I would not be "surprised if we finish in the top half" and I'm delighted to have MON at the helm.
    I love having Martin O'Neill as manager but I think he has made some bad mistakes this season
    Agreed.
    not signing a right back been one
    Agreed
    signing Harewood been another, he lost us 2 points at Spurs and having him on the bench ahead of Luke Moore tonight is plain stupid if Moore is fit.
    Agreed.
    i mustve missed the rule change where they wrap things up after 14 league games
    No, you didn't. Doesn't mean the evidence from the first third of the season suggests we should sack MON or that we'll end up in the lower-half. Look at Fulham who are 12th with 13 points. We've played the same number of games and have 27 points.
    Taylor and Gardner.

Harewood 4-0.

lol typical He's still muck imo.

Great result against a team fighting us for Euro spot
    lol might have known, Harewood scored from a rebound.

No, you didn't. Doesn't mean the evidence from the first third of the season suggests we should sack MON or that we'll end up in the lower-half. Look at Fulham who are 12th with 13 points. We've played the same number of games and have 27 points.

i dont think anyone has ever said o'neill should be sacked. ive never seen it anyway. i have however said time and again that i dont think hes the right manager for us, and ill take a look at my opinion of that at the end of the season when hes had a realistic bash at building himself a team, and i stand by that

we've played 14 games and have 27 points btw

a win on saturday will leave us 3 points off the top lol

i dont think anyone has ever said o'neill should be sacked.

Did you read my post that you initially replied to? "As every day gos by I just want O Neill gone more and more." I think that means he wants him sacked tbh.

Did you read my post that you initially replied to? "As every day gos by I just want O Neill gone more and more." I think that means he wants him sacked tbh.

no, it means he wants him gone

it doesnt mean he thinks o'neill should be sacked

theres a massive difference there, if you cant see the difference theres no explaining it to you

Helix knows the score. Although if he seems to have us playing nicer football than we were at the start of the season, which probably uncoincidentally is making us more effective. I'm definitely starting to warm towards MON, but I wouldn't be silly enough to let a class run completely skew my view of him.

• Advertisement

no, it means he wants him gone

it doesnt mean he thinks o'neill should be sacked

theres a massive difference there, if you cant see the difference theres no explaining it to you

Ah, the good old claim-something-is-obvious-and-cover-your-ears tactic :rolleyes:

Ah, the good old claim-something-is-obvious-and-cover-your-ears tactic :rolleyes:

can you honestly not understand that someone can want to see someone gone but not think they deserve to be sacked?

I'll explain it if you want. What I was saying back then, was that I personally didn't want him as manager of the club, people will be saying the same about Venables probably if he gets the Ireland job. These same people obviously won't think that Venables should be sacked because that would be ridiculous. I think sackings midway through a season are stupid anyway.

I'm lost I don't see how someone could want MON gone and not be accused of wanting him sacked?? Were they just hoping he would resign?

I'm lost I don't see how someone could want MON gone and not be accused of wanting him sacked?? Were they just hoping he would resign?

oh for the love of god

what it means is that he doesnt want o'neill as the villa manager. he doesnt think hes the right man for the job, but he is not for one minute saying, or even suggesting that o'neills performance warrants sacking

wanting rid of someone, and saying they deserve the sack are NOT the same thing, theyre nowhere bloody near the same thing

do we want marlon harewood at the club? no

does he deserve the sack? well no, he doesnt really

would we be happy if he left asap? bloody right

Lol thats the most funny way of not admitting to be wrong I have ever read on here and if you cant see why its funny theres no point explaining it to you :D

Lol thats the most funny way of not admitting to be wrong I have ever read on here and if you cant see why its funny theres no point explaining it to you :D

you do realise thats perhaps the most pathetic post the footie forums have ever seen yeah?

an "i know you are but what am i" wouldve been less childish :rolleyes:

are you just being a pathetic little git or can you honestly not fathom what im saying? it must be a strange live you lead where you think either everyones brilliant or they should be sacked

very strange

Live or Life? lol

Helix grow up will you, you can't say you want a manager gone and say you don't want him sacked in the same breath without been laughed at. Seriously read what has been said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Helix & Irish1, be very careful how you progress in this debate.

• Advertisement

My god the mods do actually read the posts in this forum, don't worry PSI I have made my point, and while Helix has called me a git I don't want him banned underneath it all he is still a Villa fan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement