Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

irish1 wrote: »
    you can't say you want a manager gone and say you don't want him sacked in the same breath without been laughed at. Seriously read what has been said!

of course you can, ive pointed out how you can

whether or not your grasp on the language enables you understand that is perhaps the crux of the issue at hand, and seeing as how i dont know you, i cant speak for your understanding of the written word, but im fairly sure ive explained how it works and DSB has confirmed that it is in fact the case

so stop being so petty and arguing about phrasing of something youve admitted yourself you dont understand for the love of god

irish1 wrote: »
    Helix has called me a git

read it again, i made very sure i did no such thing

you really should read things more carefully, its proving your downfall in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hahaha I'm so shocked at the mood in this thread after a lovely 4-0 away win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

lads its a quote from three months ago... tonight we beat Blackburn away 4-0 now sit back and enjoy the highlights (starting right now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Helix wrote: »
    of course you can, ive pointed out how you can

whether or not your grasp on the language enables you understand that is perhaps the crux of the issue at hand, and seeing as how i dont know you, i cant speak for your understanding of the written word, but im fairly sure ive explained how it works and DSB has confirmed that it is in fact the case

so stop being so petty and arguing about phrasing of something youve admitted yourself you dont understand for the love of god

ROFL My intellectual level is so superior to anyone that can say they want a manager gone and say they don't want him sacked it really is laughable. I even know the difference between life and live ;)

Anyway back to tonight, it seems the ref helped us for a change the peno and red card was very harsh by all accounts, makes a nice change.

• Advertisement

oh noes, hes moved onto sniping typos now

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Helix wrote: »
    oh noes, hes moved onto sniping typos now

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

lol well its just when you say
    i cant speak for your understanding of the written word
    its funny considering what was written!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd hate to see what would of happened if Blackburn won ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bickerin like a bunch of aul wans, we won 4-0 ffs.

I don't care what anyone thinks of MON, that's a superb result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

So help me, I'll lock this thread......

• Advertisement

christ that was a harsh red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I was at the match tonight, given that i now live near enough to Blackburn.

Villa got off lucky at the start, Blackburn had a few decent efforts at the start. First half was pretty dire to be honest, and from where i was i think Carew's header could have been dealt with.
    Second half was a marked improvement from both teams, it was actually entertaining at times, shock horror! Villa were well worth the win by the end though, made easier by the referee. Blackburn had a good shout turned down, and villa should have had another.

Word of condolences to anyone who has to go to Ewood Park regularly, it's a dump, and i've never seen such a lifeless boring load of fans. And yes, i've been to longford. Villas travelling support were alright, but you'd expect the away fans to be.

psi wrote: »
    So help me, I'll lock this thread......
    You wouldn't dare.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Jesus Villa have 27 points. I thought they were having a bad season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Great win tonight. A few good purchases in January and we should become annual eurospot contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

ill stick my neck on the line and predict a home win for villa-arsenal preferably in as thrilling game as the 3-2 against them many moons ago (98/99 was it?) which was also before just before xmas and was the last time villa have beaten them in the league?

wild optimism or based in reality?hard to tell,especially as the result tonite was flattering to villa but were scoring goals and getting that *luck* that winning teams seem to have

I dont really like predicting if I dont feel like (though we could) Villa will win but this is in reallity a positive prediction. Villa 1 Arsenal 1, Arsenal to score early but a dogged Villa to grab a late deserved equaliser as Gabby makes it 7 for the season. last two times ive predicted on here only the goalscores weren't right (and i got atleast one of them each time) so hopefully that trend will continue though i wont mind it stopping if another 3 points go Villas way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

id feel a lot more positive if zak knight werent playing, arsenal forward line v him? yikes!

but equally villa are on form,we beat chelsea at home(hammered by man u i know) if agbonlahor(who scored last season at the emirates against them)young,barry,carew wana play in the CL then theyre gona have to play well against CL quality sides like arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Did Agbonlahor get injured near the end? BBC said he was subbed for Harewood because of injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Yeah, he has a cut ankle. Dodgy for Arsenal.

Can't see us getting anything off Arsenal. 2-1 to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Ibid wrote: »
    Couple of quotes from about three months ago lads ;)

The words 'carried' and 'away' spring to mind. We were fifth at one stage last season (in fact I think we were third overnight at one stage?!). Anyway then the injuries kicked in.

Don't get this was a great win and we are playing fantastic football at the minute and long may it continue. I just trying to not get too excited just yet (it is proving pretty difficult!) as there's is a long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Great result last night. I honestly thought it would have been a much closer game although I was optimistic that we could pick-up all 3 points.

I'm heading over to the Arsenal game on Saturday so hopefully we can continue our impressive form and end the Gunners unbeaten league record.

UP THE VILLA!

Raekwon wrote: »
    I'm heading over to the Arsenal game on Saturday so hopefully we can continue our impressive form and end the Gunners unbeaten league record.

UP THE VILLA!

Bucky Lastard!!

I still haven't seen the highlights from last night. Anyone have a link or know where I might find them? (I've treid youtube)

O'Neil speaking about Wenger and a possible direction for our transfer dealings ahead of the Arsenal game:

"People say having few English players at Arsenal does not help England - but that is not Arsene Wenger's job.

"His job is not to make the England national side better. His job is to win football games for Arsenal. He has done that consistently and brilliantly for 10 years.

"My own view is that if you are good enough, you will come through. It might take a bit longer but you will come through.

"The point I make is if you have some English players playing in those great sides, as Arsenal did with the whole back four at one stage, then, with playing alongside great foreign players, they can only improve.

"We have gone down a certain route at the moment with having quite a few English players. Whether it is fruitful in the long term, who knows? It is a route I am kind of following now.

"But our next couple of signings might be really decent foreign players. My job is also to try to win enough football games for Villa for me to try to keep this process going.
    ----

Villa 1 Arsenal 0 Gardner 13'min

Gabby passed fit and started (as were Clichy and Hleb for the gunners)

not comfortable here at all with 1-0

we need a second, then we need to focus on ball retention or arsenal will still get something from the game

dang 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

gay :(

Feck. 1-1.

• Advertisement

good news in petrov going off tho all the same

we're gonna be absolutely hammered

better performance second half anyway

but an apalling dive from young, marty should give him a clip around the ear at the very least for that

no place for that at the villa

Well Villa played well for the 2nd half and probably deserved a draw but Arsenal hung on for the 3 points. Our squad is weak once you go past our first choice 11 I mean Maloney might be home sick or perhaps he just isn't good enough to play at thise level but he was lost out there today, I know he's better on the wing but he just didn't get into at all Carew was winning the first header but Maloney was a yard short every time for the second ball.

We'r progressing and a few more good signings and we could challenge for top 6 but a few more injuries and we could end up in mid table again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I agree Maloney was off the pace but thats to be expected with the few games he's played.
    Once Agbonlahor went out wide, he was very in-effective, he should of stayed up top with Carew.
    I taught Carew, Young and Laursen were our best performers.

Any idea on how long Petrov will be out for? He's been playing well the last 5/6 games, at least NRC will be back for the next match.

I think a lot can be taken from that performance except unfortunatley for any points. Looking at Villa this season, we only lose the games were not expected to win i.e against the big four, we beat the teams were expected to beat like the relegation battlers and have done well against our competitors for Europe thus far i.e Eveton and Blackburn. I also dont think Villa's morale will be affected by that defeat at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Esse85 wrote: »
    I agree Maloney was off the pace but thats to be expected with the few games he's played.
    Once Agbonlahor went out wide, he was very in-effective, he should of stayed up top with Carew.
    I taught Carew, Young and Laursen were our best performers.

Any idea on how long Petrov will be out for? He's been playing well the last 5/6 games, at least NRC will be back for the next match.

I agree completely - even though we bossed the 2nd half Gabby didn't feature much.

Looks like a hamstring injury for Petrov so usually about 4 - 6 weeks out.

Bit disappointed with the loss but I think any of us would have taken 2 points out of the matches with Blackburn and Arsenal when we actually took 3.

I think a lot can be taken from that performance except unfortunatley for any points. Looking at Villa this season, we only lose the games were not expected to win i.e against the big four, we beat the teams were expected to beat like the relegation battlers and have done well against our competitors for Europe thus far i.e Eveton and Blackburn. I also dont think Villa's morale will be affected by that defeat at all

This is true, but that okay. We've played all the big four at home now and got 1 win. If we can get 1 or 2 draws (or a win!) away from home in the second half of the season that'd be okay. We've Portsmouth next and they're another euro contender so a win at home is need there, tho it'll be tough.

As others are saying I'd certainly be heartened by todays performance. We deserved a draw based on the second half, but that's the way it goes. We played well, and once we play well we'll get the results. Completely agree about Gabby being ineffective on the right. I think Maloney needs more time on the pitch, he looked a bit rough. Also good to see Patrick back I thought he did quite well.

2nd half we were really good. First half was close to the worst I've seen us this season. Zat Knight is well out of his depth.

Yeah Zat was kind of at fault for the second goal, he probably could have got his head on it. A right-back in January could move Olof to CB and we could have a very strong defence again.

Really don't think Curtis Davies is gonna have any interest in signing for us at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Really don't think Curtis Davies is gonna have any interest in signing for us at the end of the season.
    meh

would he be any great loss tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Page 45 News of the World today - Ashley Young the new Collymore.

Why do we always need a perv up front?

: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

There's still a long way to go till May, at the minute i dont think Zat Knight has made enough mistakes to warrent being dropped, im not a fan of him and i do think he's prone to making silly mistakes but since at Villa, his performances are better than at Fulham.
    I think Davies expected to walk straight in when fit after he joined, but now its up to him when he gets his chance to take it and earn a permanent move to Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well there's not going to be a line of clubs willing to pay what we are based on what he's done so far. I hope he will get his his chance and turn out to be the composed CB we need. Questions were asked with the Ashley Young signing and the money paid but look how he turned out.
    It's very hard to give him a chance at the moment. He'll have to wait for an injury to Zat or Laursen I would say but even then it's a risk to start him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Aston Villa vs Manchester Untied just like last season.

Obviously not the best draw but at least we are at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Raekwon wrote: »
    Aston Villa vs Manchester Untied just like last season.

Obviously not the best draw but at least we are at home.

4th time in 7 seasons. Unbelievable. Doesn't matter we're at home. They always beat us. There was about 60 other teams that would have been better for us. :mad:

I'd have loved a cup run, but even if we do lose it means we can focus on the league.

We do have a small enough squad to be fair.

FFS :rolleyes:

Anyone know anything about draw been investigated as we the video of the draw seems to show we were drawn against team 25 which is Boro not ManU???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement