Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A strop from Petrov.

Ironic for Stoitchkov as for years to was urging Petrov to leave Celtic and go to the EPL to enhance his international prospects lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kinaldo wrote:
    Petrov quits international football!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6045930.stm

If I was a Bulgarian fan I wouldn't be too impressed with his reasoning.
    What is his reasoning? That quote in the BBC link is very vague. He probably had a row with Stoichkov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

eirebhoy wrote:
    What is his reasoning? That quote in the BBC link is very vague. He probably had a row with Stoichkov.
    Sorry that should be lack of reasoning. Basically he's put it down to irreconcilable differences, whatever they are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Anyone know the status of Wilfred Bouma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I like the look of Simplicio, bit of Brazilian skill would be nice.

Yeah. He's shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

G wrote:
    Yeah. He's shíte.

Roffle! :D

If McClaren wants to be seen to shake things up after the Croatia game i would not be surprised if Gareth Barry didnt get a call up to the England squad soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I totally agree Bounty Hunter, was at the match yesterday and what an amazing goal!!!

Also saw Didi Agathe and Stan Petrov eating sushi today so got some photos and a signed jersey.
    I am well chuffed!

Bobo Balde on his way to villa park?

I've been reading a bit online about M O'N possibly putting in a £2mil bid for the Celtic defender, I have never rated Bobo to be honest, and I think with Laurson Mellberg, Ridgewell and even Cahill we are fixed up for the present with our central defenders.

Also on a sidenote does anyone have a contact number for the Irish Villains supporter club? If someone could pm me with it that ould be great.

regards
    Luke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

he was on the bench today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1937093,00.html
    Aston Villa's chairman, Randy Lerner, has come up with a novel way to solve the problem of falling attendances in the Premiership by paying for 6,000 supporters to travel to Stamford Bridge next week. The US billionaire was so impressed with Villa's support at Leicester last week that he has pledged to cover the cost of the coach fare to west London for all the fans with tickets for the fourth-round Carling Cup tie against Chelsea on Wednesday.

Article continues
    Lerner's gesture is born out of goodwill as opposed to any fear that fans are disenchanted with Villa but elsewhere there are concerns that supporters are beginning to lose interest in Premiership football. While Villa's attendances at home have improved this season, the picture is much bleaker at several other top-flight clubs. Blackburn and Wigan are among those to have cut the cost of ticket prices recently in an effort to improve crowds.

"What we don't want to do is jump to conclusions," said a Premier League spokesman, Dan Johnson. "Attendances rise as the season goes on and when we finished last season we were at the same point as the year before. Clearly there are a number of local issues at the moment with some clubs and their average attendance, but they should not be criticised as they are looking at the issues."

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

Hi Folks,

Would love to head over to watch Villa and Just wondering where do you get your tickets for the Villa games. Also could somebody recommend hotels in Birmingham....

TDAVFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Britannia Hotel Birmingham cheap and good location. Tickets always available from official site ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

Cheers Savman I will check it out, and thanks for the Rapid response...:D

No worries. http://www.britanniahotels.com/hotel_home.asp?page=73

What game u heading over for?

RANDY LERNER has enlisted an ex-US Marines chief to help Aston Villa conquer Europe.

The American billionaire spelled out his vision to right-hand man General Charles Krulak, who will be Lerner’s public voice at Villa.

And Krulak — who likes to be known simply as The General — launched his first battle to win over fans by signing up to three internet forums.

The Vietnam veteran revealed Lerner wants to turn Villa Park into the best ground in the country after completing his £62million takeover.

He said: “We want to have the best facility in the Premiership.

“Randy’s vision is for Aston Villa to raise the European Cup over their heads.

“We have a superb manager, a hard-working, talented team and the best fans in the League. It doesn’t get much better than that.”

anyone know more than he's a viet-nam vet? (cool)

any speculation on the forums

The General has been posting on the Vital Villa forums, talking to board users etc. Quite amazing really.
    http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5112&start=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Savman wrote:
    The General has been posting on the Vital Villa forums, talking to board users etc. Quite amazing really.
    http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5112&start=1
    Heh, that's pretty cool :)

Savman wrote:
    Wow, everything seems to be very hunky dory at Villa Park these days. Quite a turnaround alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

shoutman wrote:
    Anyway I've been hearing rumbles that O'Neill is refusing to sign a new contract as he wants to remain available for champions league outfit clubs come the end of the season.

Do people really think he would play it that way?

If Liverpool don't rescue this League season and win no cups expect to loose your manager - Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd won't be parting with thier gaffers - we might!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    If Liverpool don't rescue this League season and win no cups expect to loose your manager - Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd won't be parting with thier gaffers - we might!

Mike.
    I doubt it. Liverpool aren't known for sacking managers and Benitez bought himself a good few years by winning the European Cup before it comes to that. I can't see him quitting either. If Randy Lerner wasn't a billionaire I'd say Newcastle could still be quite tempting, but maybe if we get new owners in...

Dream on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭observer

martin o neill is an honest guy and in his words contracts are so easy to get out of! i think he'll stay. villa will be in champions league in 3 years!

where do people see the villa finishing. sitting pretty in 4th at the mo. only beaten once. i know we haven't won many games but if we're hard to beat with that team imagine in 2 seasons when villa are an attractive club in terms of transferring to!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

observer wrote:
    where do people see the villa finishing

I think Villa will finish 6th and hopefully qualify for the UEFA Cup (would 6th be enough to qualify for next season's competition?).

Martin O'Neill's aim is to bring European football to Villa Park again and he even mentioned that he would consider entering Villa into the InterToto Cup if needs be, even though he is not a fan of that tournament (who is!).

What a terrible result! :mad: I though that this game would be a banker for 3 points, especially considering that City haven't won away since last April (coincidently against Villa). Well at least Darius Vassell is having fun! (5 goals in a many games against his former club).

I find it slightly worrying that Villa have only won 2 games out of their last 10 in the league, a win last night would have put them in third place but the recent results only highlight their lack of ability to convert chances to goals. They are in desperate need of some fresh faces come January.

I think if O'Neill can get James Milner (finally) and can add another couple of players (Shaun Wright-Phillips & Darren Bent would be nice) then Villa can hopefully secure a top 6 finish. But on the evidence of recent weeks they badly need a goal scorer especially with Luke Moore injured and with Milan Baros having a nightmare season (so far).

What do other Villa fans think?

• Advertisement

M O'N was as honest as always today saying that the result proved how much of a squad bolster villa need. I would love to see Milner back at Villa park and it would be great if we had a real attacking midfielder capable of scoring goals from distance.

I wouldnt like to be paying near what chelski paid for Wright-Phillips and with them after Micha Richards it looks like man city might be getting him back in an exchange plus cash deal anyway.

Petrov still settling in, reckon he could be that attacking midfielder when he clicks.

Striker has to be on the January shopping list!

Yeah a striker is badly needed. I've seen some games where Villa had a host of good chances and only come away with one point because of the lack of finishing (the West Ham game springs to mind). I said in my last post that Darren Bent would be excellent to have at Villa Park, he won't be cheap though, I think he could cost around the £8m/£10m bracket, but he is a proven goalscorer. Henrik Larsson would have be another good addition, but he seems to have secured a loan to Man Utd for 3 months :confused:

Speaking of strikers, what has happened to Baros? He did well last season (12 goals) but this season he couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards for Villa, even though he has bagged a few for the Czech Rep in recent games.

Taken from yahoo sports
    Defoe is a �12million target for Aston Villa in the transfer window.

The Tottenham striker is still struggling to cement a regular starting place at White Hart Lane despite regularly finding the net and is attracting the interest of several clubs.

However Villa have money to spend thanks to new owner Randy Lerner and The People expect them to lead the race.

If Defoe does leave, Spurs are being strongly linked with a move for Blackburn star Morten Gamst Pedersen. He is seen as the man to solve their problem down their left flank

What does everyone think?

To be honest as much as we could do with a good striker id quite like to see a top quality holding midfielder, mccann is good and all but there is an awful lot better.

Villa to sign an in form England International striker from a team playing european football?

Can't see it.

• Advertisement

Just got a text message saying Chris Sutton is out for six weeks with blurred vision and concussion following the match against utd on the 23rd. Lets hope he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

and luke moore to be back this month

and luke moore to be back this month
    Thank god, he's been badly missed. Would like to see Hendrie getting a run in the team too ;)

Agathe & Wittingham gone. Hope we have reinforcements lined up :eek:

Djemba Djemba gone on loan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

When are we actually going to get someone decent? Come on, Randy.

Plus Baros has been linked to nearly ever team under the sun lately............looks more then likely that he will be on his way too :(

This is depressing...........we are nearly half way through the transfer window and more players have left then joined! :eek: I hope MON has a few tricks up his sleeve for the coming weeks or we will find it very tough for the last 15 games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Ashley Young has turned down West Ham so maybe he is on the way to us :D

Source: The BEEB

Spurs were linked to him in a £4m deal with Davenport and Routledge going to Watford but they don't want to go and I don't think they have £8m lying around for a cash deal.

Is it true that Villa are on one of the worst runs in the club's top flight history? I think I heard Ken Urley mention something to that effect on Newstalk's Off the Ball tonight. I thought they were pretty abysmal at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Raekwon wrote:
    Plus Baros has been linked to nearly ever team under the sun lately............looks more then likely that he will be on his way too :( .

Well out of the people that have left, i won't miss any of them. If we can 10m for Baros I'd be delighted - he's a dreadful player, head down, chaaaaarge!
    Raekwon wrote:
    or we will find it very tough for the last 15 games of the season.

I think this will be a tough season, but neccessary. We need to start building some kind of unit and cohesion. Ollie shouldnt be playing full back, Hendrie should be given 1 final chance, then off loaded if he is anything but brilliant (which i think he could still be).

Bright parts of the season:

Gabby - great pace, needs to learn how/when to use it

Stilian - great player, will improve with better players around him.

kinaldo wrote:
    Is it true that Villa are on one of the worst runs in the club's top flight history?

Well it is the worst run of results that Villa have experienced since 1987............the year that we were relegated from the top flight.

Magic Pips wrote:
    Well out of the people that have left, i won't miss any of them. If we can 10m for Baros I'd be delighted - he's a dreadful player, head down, chaaaaarge!

I think we have some decent players, but not enough strength in depth which is evident with our over-reliance on the younger players in the squad. I think any Villa fan would be happy with £10million for Baros, he has had a poor season so far and obviously wants to be somewhere else. It would be excellent if Chelsea took him in exchange for Wright-Philips :p

I agree with you that Mellberg should not be playing leftback, he should be played in his more natural centre role along-side either Cahill or fit again Laursen. I also think pairing the two young centre halves together (Ridgewell & Cahill) backfired alittle on MON. Okay we got a clean sheet against Chelsea (which was more luck then anything else) but in most of the other games since November they have looked out of their depth and they really need an experienced head at centre half playing along side one of them.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/15012007/4/villa-pole-position-striker.html

Radoslaw Matusiak, anyone know anything about this guy?

Not a damn thing but at this stage we're all gettin twitchy just waiting for any new faces. There's a different rumour on the villa boards every hour, doing me head in because everyone knows we're in the market and have financial backing. I'd say that has hampered us more than anything with clubs overpricing their players.

£10m for Ashley Young is crazy, O' Neill is right to walk away with prices like that being thrown around the place. If we have to go into the unknown for a bargain I think most would have faith in MON's targets.

I'm just not really a big fan of these big money moves, in most cases the player is under so much pressure he doesn't perform. £10m for Wright Phillips...might be worth the few quid though!

I agree savman, I'd far prefere to have villa stuggling this year and signing some good quality players in the summer for the right price rather then M'ON going off and paying over the odds for players or buying players he doesnt want just for the sake of it..

In MO'N we trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

speak for yourself

o'neill still has to prove himself in my eyes

Helix wrote:
    speak for yourself

o'neill still has to prove himself in my eyes
    To who? He never claimed to be any kind of miracle worker, however whatever he did to get our shower of also-rans playing like they were at the start of the season is nothing short of magic. Our many average players suddenly looked half decent. For a while, Europe beckoned.

Most fans know he'll do it eventually, anything he "proves" will be what most of us already knew he could do.

Bid for Ashley Young accepted :D
    Over the odds but feck it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

West Ham had a bit accepted as well...:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

10million sterling?

Someone needs to pick bothroyd up of the floor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement