Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I think we can get a Rightback in then Mellberg will know if he has a place in the team going forward at centre back, if he does I think a new deal will be reached, however if MON feels he's behind Knight and Davies for that position I think he will be let go sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

What about Bouma? I havent heard anything about him regarding contract talks. I know he isnt he best left back in the league, but he would be above average back up, also cant he switch to centre back too/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

shoutman wrote: »
    What about Bouma? I havent heard anything about him regarding contract talks. I know he isnt he best left back in the league, but he would be above average back up, also cant he switch to centre back too/?

Christ! I totally forgot that Bouma was in the last year of his current deal! :eek:

I think he is a very decent leftback (you are right, he can play at centre back too) and I feel Villa would be foolish not to offer him a new deal, especially since, apart from Barry, we only have rookie Stephen O'Halloran as cover in the position (who is currently on loan at Wycombe btw).

Hopefully MON can tie-up all of the loose ends in regards current player contracts and then sign a few decent players (rightback & playmaker please!!!!!) in the January window.

Bouma is ok but I'd rather have move quality going forward in the wide positions

Agree with Villain however I think if we had two very attack minded full backs we would be very susceptible to counter attacks as our wide men at present arent exactly the best at tracking back.

Right back and a good attacking midfielder is something that I have always said is needed.

Well thats a risk but Young does track back and Gabby when he plays wide also does. IMO if we want to challenge for top 7 we need a RB, LB and a Right Winger.

I don't think a LB is essential unless Bouma is looking for a Bosman next summer. I would prefer to see Villa sign a top quality RB (Bosingwa?) and then some cover for that RB (Hoyte?). I think with Mellberg having one foot out the door it has become even more of a priority then ever to sign at least one RB in the next window.

Other then that I'd like to see us sign an attacking midfield player. Benfica's Freddy Adu has been mentioned in the tabloids, but I think it has more to do with the American connection at the club then anything else. It could be worth a cheeky bid though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Villain wrote: »
    Well thats a risk but Young does track back and Gabby when he plays wide also does. IMO if we want to challenge for top 7 we need a RB, LB and a Right Winger.
    Actually we already are challenging for the "Top 7" - we are currently joint 7th with Everton and a whole 3pts behind Liverpool in 4th place.

I won't pretend to know what it is we need in January, I just know whoever it is they have to have real quality about them whatever the position. Nobody knew where Ashley Young would play when he came along and he can play both wings as well as up front or behind the Frontman.

A recognised RB would be nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

And a playmaking midfielder and top class striker who can bang in 20 a season.

V1llianous wrote: »
    And a playmaking midfielder and top class striker who can bang in 20 a season.

You can have an inform pele for your team but if you dont have the surrounding players he isn't going to score 20 a season.

• Advertisement

You can have an inform pele for your team but if you dont have the surrounding players he isn't going to score 20 a season.

Very true.

I think we have a potential 20 goal a season striker in Agbonlahor, we just need another couple of players to provide him with better service. If Gabby played for a team like Man Utd or Arsenal then IMO he would be banging in 20+ goals a season no sweat.

So it looks like next year will be his last year at the club, I hope he improves and stays cause I always thought he was decent, but that said he did seem like a bit of a me feiner.
    eurosport wrote:
    Moore Shuns Villa Deal

Thu 13 Dec, 03:09 PM

Luke Moore is looking to leave Aston Villa after rejecting a new contract at the club.

However, the club have took up a one-year option they had on the 21-year-old meaning he now has 18 months left on his current contract - which was due to expire at the end of the season.

Moore has seen his chances limited and has not been involved in Villa's last three matches.

Moore's representative Steve Kutner admitted the player feels it is time to seek a new challenge.

"He rejected the contract because he feels he needs to move on," he told skysports.com.

"He needs to be playing first-team football at this stage of his career.

"He is 21 now and has been very unlucky that he hurt his shoulder last season when he did.

"Luke has already proved he can do it in the Premier League."

Kutner confirmed that Villa had taken up their option on his client.

"They have got him for another season," he said.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill confirmed the club's stance over Moore.

"The decision to extend Luke's contract was our decision. There was talk about a new contract and negotiations went to and fro, but Luke has decided not to take the offer on board," he explained.

"There's no point saying the length of the contract (offered). But we have extended the contract to 2009."

Also cahill has stated that he is waiting on a contract offer from villa.

I hope Luke Moore stays too, but I see can why he feels hard done-by. He was on fire in pre-season but he still never really got to have a decent run in the team. He has now found himself behind Marlon Harewood in the pecking order.........that would rattle anybody’s confidence! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

MON clearing out what he considers to be the second round of deadwood?

So it sounds like these are going:
    Sorenson (currently behind Taylor in the pecking order),
    Laursen (no contract yet)
    Mellberg (off to Juve)
    Cahill (no contract, loaned off)
    Davies (don't see MON paying €8m for a guy who's been brought on as a sub twice)
    Berger (don't see that contract getting renewed)
    Maloney (off to Celtic)

Have we any players left? I reckon I might get myself a trial next season.

If MON got in replacements who were better then that lot in January we'd have a great squad for the rest of they year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

If MON got in replacements who were better then that lot in January we'd have a great squad for the rest of they year.

chances of that happening based on his last 3 transfer windows?

pretty much non existant

Helix wrote: »
    chances of that happening based on his last 3 transfer windows?

pretty much non existant
    Carew, Young, Maloney, Petrov, Reo Coker, Carson, Davies. All technically MON transfer window signings and decent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Anyone got any idea when someone is planning to inform O'Neill that Knight actually has no footballing ability? Looking so vulnerable every time the ball comes near our area.

Savman wrote: »
    Carew, Young, Maloney, Petrov, Reo Coker, Carson, Davies. All technically MON transfer window signings and decent quality.

yeah but we havent replaced all the players we've had leave

• Advertisement

Not happy with that result whatsoever even though in the end we were clinging onto it. Sunderland, Wigan and Derby really were the 3 teams we needed to take 18 points from. Sunderland were crap but unfortunately we weren't much better. Constant booting of the ball into the air just shouldn't be the way to play when we've got players like Young and Agbonlahor who can take on players at will. Gardner seems to be the main culprit and while he definitely has saving graces and looks a good player, O'Neill needs to sit him down and let him know that putting the ball along the ground is an option too. Fair play Maloney, always looked a threat when he came on. Both Agbonlahor and Carew were well below-par. Zat Knight........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Such a terrible performance today. We had so much possession and still created hardly any chances. We desperately need another outlet on the right to back Young up. He just gets doubled teamed everythime he gets the ball. Also for some reason he seems to feel the need tobeat at least one player before crossing the ball in. If he got a bit more quick ball in I think he'd be a lot more effective. Bouma was terrible coming forward. Barry was awful. Knight was his usual sh!t self. Gardner wasn't great, but he's not really a right winger, so it's not his fault. Carew and Gabby were below par.

I thought Laursen was good and Reo-Coker was very good, one of the best games I've seen him play for Villa. And fair play to Maloney, he created and scored the goal, hope that settles him another bit.

The most worrying thing at the minute is that we're not creating many chances. We've a good bit of possession, but it generally comes to nothing. Very frustrating game to watch.

Anyone have a clue about how to get away tickets for the Liverpool match on the 19th of January? Through the site they are available to season ticket holders only. I am not a season ticket holder. My parents want to send me to this match and are gonna get tickets for the kop off one of their friends, I would prefere not to be in the kop for this match....

theyll go on general sale if/when theyre not all snapped up by season ticket holders wholl have preference id imagine

Would I be right to assume that they will be snapped up by the season ticket holders, Villa only have an allocation of 3k.

With the transfer window around the corner it is no surprise that the rumour-mill is starting to gather some pace.

The Daily Star have today linked Villa with a £10m double swoop for Eidur Gudjohnsen & Justin Hoyte. We have also been linked with Jose Bosingwa again and Setanta Sport have reported that Villa have made an approach for Valencia’s right back Miguel.

Looking positive enough so far but I am taking all transfer speculation with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

Well we were linked with Eidur Gudjohnsen in the summer but he said he wanted to stay at Barca, MON won't pay big money so I think while we may be linked with a lot of players we'll be lucky to get 2 in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well we were linked with Eidur Gudjohnsen in the summer but he said he wanted to stay at Barca, MON won't pay big money so I think while we may be linked with a lot of players we'll be lucky to get 2 in.

Won't pay big money? Young? NRC? Petrov?
    I can't see Eidur leaving this January. Barca will need him.

Well I meant he won't buy 2 or 3 players at 10 or 12 million each which the kind of money you have to pay for the class we need. I'd suspect 2 or 3 players with a total spend of 12 or 13 million.

Well I meant he won't buy 2 or 3 players at 10 or 12 million each which the kind of money you have to pay for the class we need. I'd suspect 2 or 3 players with a total spend of 12 or 13 million.
    Ashley Young alone was just shy of £10m. I've no doubts O Neill would pay over £15m if he thought a player was worth it. Not many are worth it though, and the few that are wouldn't come to a club not playing in Europe, simple as.

Anyway that's a different issue, my point is that it's totally untrue to say "MON wont pay big money"
    Hell, he's been accused of paying over the odds on numerous occasions.

Oh I agree he will big money in that context he paid it for Davies, I was referring to an overall figure, I can't see him spedning 20-30 million in January.

• Advertisement

He got a bit of a bollicking for not signing enough players during the Summer and has recently admitted the side needs "more quality" from the transfer window. I'd just like to see a RB brought in and the dropping of Knight to the bench.

How do you think the Man City game will turn out? I think we'll win it 2-1.

I'd also like to see a bit of a change in midfield. I want Maloney on the wing and I'm thinking maybe trying Petrov in the middle with Barry.

Also, lol at Mark Lawrenson only predicting one result right last week.

Petrov ahead of ReoCoker? Wow.

Why not give it a try? If not against Man City, try it against a lesser team. Petrov has been playing better than NRC lately, but he's not much of a winger.

I think ReoCoker has done a very good job with keeping stability in the team. We don't concede all that many goals for a team with someone as dodgy as Knight in centre back. Good tackler, works hard and can pass the ball well.

DSB wrote: »
    I think ReoCoker has done a very good job with keeping stability in the team.
    Agreed. I think our problem is not stability but a bit of flair.
    We don't concede all that many goals for a team with someone as dodgy as Knight in centre back.
    Agreed. I'm not suggesting Petrov is a better defensive midfielder than NRC; I think he deserves a chance at being a better attacking midfielder though.
    Good tackler, works hard and can pass the ball well.
    Petrov does all of these three, too.

I know I've documented it alot but I still don't think Petrov is any use. And by taking ReoCoker out for him we'd be taking out a great deal of that stability that we've had. Which we didn't really have last year because McCann was useless. What we need in my opinion is another winger for flair. Or to stick Moore up front with Carew and put Agbonlahor on the other wing.

Or to stick Moore up front with Carew and put Agbonlahor on the other wing.
    The same Agbonlahor who's our top scorer?:eek:

I think Moore could be gone in January if a decent bid comes in which will be sad imo himself and his brother Stefan were the bright future from that 2002 FA Youth Cup winning side, Stefan was captain and was seen as the one with better potential and he now struggles to get a game at QPR.

Savman wrote: »
    The same Agbonlahor who's our top scorer?:eek:

The very same one. He could be just as effective on the wing if we were able to bring a striker in of equal to his ability. Alternatively we could just sign a good winger which is obviously the better option.

We have what may well be a very good winger. A 24 year old with international experience, former Players' Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year and his old club's Fans' Player of the Year.

• Advertisement

Maloney? I defo think we need someone better than him but he is a good player to have in the squad alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Maloney's as good a player as you can expect at Villa atm. Bloody class act.

eirebhoy wrote: »

ahah

delusional or what

IOr to stick Moore up front with Carew and put Agbonlahor on the other wing.

if gudjohnsen comes in in january as is being mooted, itll be jc and gabby up top with gudjohnsen in the hole behind them id say

quaresma from porto linked today

cant see it happening but itd be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

No. Agbonlahor, Young, Barry, Reo-Coker are better players, they are more of a "class act" then Maloney.they are the kind of players that you can and should expect at Aston Villa, being a "class act" at his previous club means maloney has turned on the style against scottish spl sides, he has not shined in the year he has been at villa bar odd performance(wrexham in the league cup i think?) he doesnt cut the mustard at Premiership level. let him return back on the M6 the same path to his former club as did barry ferguson. a premier league failure.

ahah

delusional or what
    Delusional in that Villa can attract top class players? Maybe they can but you shouldn't expect it until you're qualifying for Europe.

Maloney's a class act. Absolute class act. What's he, a bit down in the dumps at Villa and has still scored 5 goals with just a few starts.

You haven't seen anything near his best and he has still impressed at Villa. Talk about McGeady recently, he's nowhere near Maloney's level imo.

Also, Maloney was a flop as a striker for Celtic too. His position is left midfield and O'Neill doesn't seem to give him much chance there. If you have a left midfielder already change your team because Maloney's more effective. ;)

eirebhoy, I admire the love you have Maloney and he was a class act in the SPL, but my granny in her hay day could have been a class act in the SPL, well ok thats stretching it a bit but Maloney is a professional soccer player, that profession nowadays require's players to be able to move from club to club and often league to league.

Maloney has been homesick now for far too long, if he was a class act he would have proved his worth by now and got himself into a team which is only midtable(ish) in the PL. I think MON wanted to give Maloney his chance to prove his worth but instead of being a professional and taking that chance and repaying MON he has sulked like a little spoilt child.

His performances have proved he is not a "class" PL player, so eirebhoy I hope he goes back to Celtic and your love affair can live on because tbh its getting a little sad that every time he is mentioned in this thread you jump to proclaim Maloney is class when he obviously isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Delusional in that Villa can attract top class players? Maybe they can but you shouldn't expect it until you're qualifying for Europe.

Maloney's a class act. Absolute class act. What's he, a bit down in the dumps at Villa and has still scored 5 goals with just a few starts.

You haven't seen anything near his best and he has still impressed at Villa. Talk about McGeady recently, he's nowhere near Maloney's level imo.

he has shown nothing at villa. he is working with the manager who was in charge when he played well at celtic.he has had a year.we hear about homesickness, he's not in spain for FFS! dreary birmingham isnt that far from dreary glasgow! (5hr drive).

i agree he played well in scotland, but lets face it its not that hard, villa are in the PL, playing well against motherwell,kilmarnock et al is grand but playing against PL standard requires more, he hasnt shown yet so why should we still believe what a "class act" he is, patrick kluivert was once a class act as well but last i heard sheffield wednesday were offering him a trial.

my point is is we can all recall when he has played well but they tend to be when they were in hoops, but that has been a while hes had his chances yet he has not impressed, i dont think there is a villa fan alive who would consider him better then agbonlahor,young,barry....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement