Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

There's the final whistle for a 1-2 win :D

Finally got a win in December, should leap frog Pompey now. If Arsenal do us a favour and beat the Toffees tonight we will be in 7th only behind 6th on goal difference.

Not sure if I am looking forward to Spurs on Tuesday after they have won 6 - 4 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Make no mistake, Spurs are very beatable. Very good going forward but leaking goals all over the place. I doubt they'll come to VP and play for a draw, they dont have the players for that IMHO, so should be a good open game which will suit both sides.

If Carew is missing it'll obviously be a big blow but I've a feeling Marlon owes us a goal after his fiasco at WHL....

I predict/expect a score draw, maybe 2-2.

ps - Curtis you beaut :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

What a header from Curtis Davies!

Nervous about Spurs, but confident we can beat them.

We've a tough run of games coming up next month. Spurs, Man Utd (cup), Liverpool, Reading and Blackburn. Only out of the European places on goal difference after half the season, hopefully a bit of new blood in January will help us sustain that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think we can do spurs, but another 4-4 wouldnt surprise me with the first and 4th highest scoring teams in the league who both have leaky defences coming up against each other

1 - 0 to Villa at half-time. Mellberg scored from a Young free-kick.

Villa slightly on top.

Bumper post of transfer rumours -

Aston Villa will look to sign theese players in the January transfer market:

karim benzeama (lyon) attacking midfielder £13 million
    roman bednar (West Bromwich) forward £6.5 million
    Ricardo Quaresma (Porto) attacking midfielder £18 million
    Jermain Defoe (Tottenham) forward £7.5 million will have compettition signing Defoe because Sunderland, Bolton, the Hammers and Blackburn are suspected to be the culprits trying to sign the goal robber.

Villa to sign Wes Brown for £6 million.

Liverpool outs -> Carson–Aston Villa (7 million), Riise–Aston Villa (4 million)

IN: Carson, Gudjohnsen, Bosingwa, Barnes, Hoyte, Defoe.
    OUT: Sorensen, Moore, Harewood, Osbourne (loan), Mellberg (in Summer)

Villa to complete the transfer of Alan hutton for £7 million pounds. the deal was nearly completed in the Summer, but Alan pulled the plug at the last minute due to Rangers success in champ league, Smith already had brought a replacement in Whittaker. Giles Barnes will complete his move before the end ( likely with MON) of the transfer window. Expect a few Foreigners to come in due to the fact that he already has a core of English players

i never thought id say this, but harewood needs to come on for moore asap

Helix wrote: »
    i never thought id say this, but harewood needs to come on for moore asap

or maybe gardner to solidify the midfield :D

nope

lol

• Advertisement

Get In!

Spurs to equalise with a dodgy penalty in injury-time, anyone?!

Come on lads!

brilliant!

my hex of 2007 is broken! villa won a game i watched! yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssss

Well, it is 2008 :).

Martin Laursen's now got 5 goals in the league for us this season.

aye i was kinda afraid to watch the game tho, coz we didnt win a single match i saw in 2007, horrible stuff

risked it tho and it paid off!

booya

lets hope it continues at the weekend against united in the cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Not a great performance, amazing result though. Great performance from Ashley Young. Absolutely stunning. Has a knack of winning corners and free kicks when it looks like he is trapped. We probably wouldn't have gotten away with todays result if we were facing a team who had other means of defending a corner than dragging out of the players that are generally good at heading the ball. Both Villa goals could have been avoided if the defenders had spent more time jumping for the cross, and less impeding Mellberg and Laursen. Felt much more comfortable with Davies in the defence than Knight. Didn't think Tottenham really threatend all that much, despite being more fluent at passing than Villa. 3 points though, and roll on United which I think we've a chance of winning, and Wigan which we've no excuses not to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Moore needs a goal badly, lacking cofidence in a big way. We need some quality in January.

we're not playing wigan again til may

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Villain wrote: »
    Moore needs a goal badly, lacking cofidence in a big way. We need some quality in January.

indeed.

some of his play and movement/positioning wasn't bad at all, just nothing is going right for him. Could easily have had 2 today with the turn and shot, and the low cross he had to guide into goal.

Back of the net! Or in Luke's case, maybe not :mad:
    I'd say he's off anyway...

Helix wrote: »
    we're not playing wigan again til may

lol

Haha Reading, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Oh man!
    In fairness I do have a few pints on me, but that was flippin brilliant!!! Best entertainment I've had in a long time! Great win. All I can say is Martin Laursen is an absolute legend!! Not only for the goal, but in defense he was immense. Gabby was great, Nigel was great, Davies looked pretty solid, I reckon he'll be a regular from now on. In sixth place now. Bring on Utd next week!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I didnt think Young was brilliant today tbh, did well in the first half but seemed to drop off the pace in the second when it seemed like he had the chance to tear into spurs with them having taken off lennon.
    Could be the festive season catching up on him.
    All in all a good win but still seem to be lacking the killer instinct. Would be fantastic if we were to sign a midfielder who could score goals.

Every team have been doubling up on Ashley Young, including Spurs today. Says it all really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well considering i predicted Villa finishing around 7th at the start of the season im quite happy with our progression. Its the start of January and time to strenghten and we are joint 5th/6th and 7th

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I was very disappointed in Moore, he didn't seem interested at all. Anyone else notice how friendly Defoe was with our boys?

He did alright - I also noticed it was more than half way into his celebration that he kissed the badge ;)

I was very disappointed in Moore, he didn't seem interested at all. Anyone else notice how friendly Defoe was with our boys?

I think weve all been quite a bit dissapointed with Moore he just hasnt developed as many expected especially after his youth/pre-season preformances especially if compared to his Villa + U-21 strikepartner Gabby ,who seems to get better every week. Saw Defoe laughing and Joking with Knight alright even though he only came up to Zat's shoulder. wouldent be surprised to see him move to Villa esp after the amount of times hes been linked with us but still dont expect anything.

:D

I'd say he knows Knight & NRC from the whole London scene. All the more easy for him to settle in ;)

Was a great finish from Defoe in the match too but he did miss a good chance. As stated before Moore was playing like he couldnt hit a bulls arse with a banjo....

In other news I just ordered my two away tickets for the liverpool match. I had gotten a christmas presents of two tickets for the match, the downside were they were for the kop. :eek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I see Laursen and Mellberg are both available on a bosman in the summer. Mellberg would be the ideal player Celtic are looking for but chances of getting him are probably non existent.

• Advertisement

Laursen is to begin talks after the Match on Saturday and Mellberg wants to go to Juve, but unless we sign two right backs he might well get himself a good contract extension.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I see Laursen and Mellberg are both available on a bosman in the summer. Mellberg would be the ideal player Celtic are looking for but chances of getting him are probably non existent.

No chance of him going to Celtic. Juventus is the rumour, so he'd hardly settle for Celtic. I reckon Laursen will stay.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Nah can't see that move happening tbh. He still has some good years left in him, great servant and solid performer. If he doesn't get one more Villa contract (which would be madness) he's defo Juventus bouund.

If Laursen is allowed to leave, I think there will be mass suicide. He's now being talked about as the best defender @ VP since McGrath aka God. That's a helluva comparison, but Laursen is a helluva defender.

In other news, I think Maloney has come out saying he's a happy camper so that move back north is off for the moment anyway. He scored 2 against Chelski, got taken off at HT and is back on the bench. One cannot help but wonder if he got an extended run in the team he could quite viably end up our top scorer.

Good news about Maloney. Would like to see him play tomorrow against Utd, think he could do some damage against Brown.

I can't see Laursen leaving, I'll be devastated if he does. He wants to stay, and I'd imagine MON and everyone else at Villa want him to stay. He is literally a legend, and even more so after that win against Spurs. It's fair enough that he's being spoken about in the same vein as McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i hate being pedantic but villain villa were euro champions in 1982 not 1981! liverpool won it in 81.

with regards tomorrow, across the media the reaction appears very much to be that this is a banana skin game for man utd and that villa could do a number on them, i think we'll definitely be in with a shout but it will rest i think on fergusons team selection,apparently hargreaves and nani will be starting and with tevez out and rooney only coming back after a long layoff may not be 100% match fit and maybe a rest for ronaldo fergie?

anyway a packed VP evening game under lights against them should be an excellent atmosphere (although there'll be a lot of brummie reds there as always seems to be in this fixture)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It could be a banana skin game for United, but this is Aston Villa, so it won't be.
    I think Laursen owes it to us to stay seeing as we stuck by him all through his injurys.

Villa havent won in 20 games the last time Villa beat Man Utd was when we won the cup in 1957. Thank you BBC sport :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I reckon Villa will do it tomorrow. Then i reckon Utd fans will say, " oh i dont care its only the FA cup" etc etc.

Seriously though, i think ye'll win tomorrow. fingers crossed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I reckon Villa will do it tomorrow.

I do too . :(
    Performances the last three games tell me we will struggle.

Then i reckon Utd fans will say, " oh i dont care its only the FA cup" etc etc.

It's a major honour and will always be.It ain't no worthless cup imo.It has a decent history and only fools devalue it's importance to the 4 teams who can win it at this time.Let me timetravel a bit for the dr who fans here.Nobody bar the big 4 will win it in the next 5 years imo.It's prestige will never devalue, only the importance to clubs on what their seasons ambitions are will only ever make it a 2nd/3rd priority.3rd priority only for the big 4 , that only leaves the other 900 clubs who entered or who's priorities outweight performing in it.

shoutman wrote: »
    Villa havent won in 20 games the last time Villa beat Man Utd was when we won the cup in 1957. Thank you BBC sport :)

I assume that is just in the FA cup cos otherwise its completly false.

also Villa are apparently leading the charge for a wantaway Obafemi Martins from Newcastle.
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premier-league/article3310047.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

great article bigging up villa and detailing the progress that villa have made since randy lerner came in in todays guardian

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2235700,00.html

the jist of it is pretty much what a great future villa have to look forward to

I assume that is just in the FA cup cos otherwise its completly false.

also Villa are apparently leading the charge for a wantaway Obafemi Martins from Newcastle.
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premier-league/article3310047.ece

Holy crap I would love that. And yeah Lerner has been so good for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I reckon Villa will do it tomorrow. Then i reckon Utd fans will say, " oh i dont care its only the FA cup" etc etc.

Why do you think you know United fans so well?

I for one will be gutted if we lose today, and as Villa are a great team with a great manager in good form at home its gonna be a tough game.

The FA cup is an important trophy.

Randy Lerner was the best thing to happen to Villa in the last 2 decades. I would say this, but I truly believe he's a notch above most of the other investors who seem to be either bankrupting their clubs or just publicity whores.

I fancy us 2-1 today. There I said it.

How's that for a non biased, non delusional post :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think the fact that Randy Lerner seems to actually like his football club would put him a notch above the rest.

Villa must be doing something right suddenly there are non Villa fans frequenting this thread... actually its probably just cos we play united today.

Martins would be very interesting at VP, our pace would then be unelievable. Has his age been fully confirmed as 23 though? or is he still considerd 23ish i.e could be a few years older.

Randy is Great

I'd have Martins in a hearbeat, don't understand some of the negative things being said he's clearly got serious talent. Not sure what happened him this year, word on the grapevine is he don't like Big Sam. Shock horror....

I have to be honest, I'm not convinced Doyle would be a solution for us. I'd personally love Defoe but have a feeling its never gonna happen esp now it seems Berbatov and maybe even Bent are heading for the Spurs exit.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Villa are a great team with a great manager in good form at home

where on earth is the idea that were in good form at home coming from?

VDS, BROWN, RIO, VIDIC, EVRA, PARK, ANDERSON, CARRICK, GIGGS, RONALDO, SAHA

Bench HEATON, ROONEY, NANI, O SHEA,, HARGREAVES

is the united team for today (taken from the man utd thread).

still very strong but considering that Villa very rarely change the side and if we do rotate its only going to be people like Maloney, or Gardner not weakening the side coming in a United without Tevez, Rooney, Neville or Hargreaves starting is apleasent sight IMO. Ronaldo will be the obvious main threat

edit: just read Villa are starting the same side that played Wigan but with Carew back for Moore so Villa are full strenght today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement