Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

shoutman wrote: »
    I'd be happy with that trio also One Cold Hand. Just got my tickets for the Liverpool match. I'm right behind the goal in row two seat 100 :)

Bring comfortable shoes, you'll be standing for the entire game, I was there 2 season ago on the last day of the season, we lost but the biggest roar of the day came in the away end when news that Small Heath had been relegated came through :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

although nothing has happened yet I am much preferring the current crop of Villa rumours than I have for a while, and now to add to the defoe one

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/goss/view/26219/Dani-s-2M-love-shack/

Defoe's(and Sheringham & Bents ex) missus admits to be househunting for a love shack in the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

That's positive news about Defoe. At least some of these rumours are half believable, not like the Wesley Sneijder, Jose Bosingwa, etc. rumours of last summer ;)

According to the Birmingham Mail Isaiah Osbourne and Gary Cahill could be loaned out for the rest of the season along with Stephan O'Halloran.

Oh, btw Tom Hanks apparently supports Villa :rolleyes:

I think Tom Hanks had a very valid point in that interview I saw with him, i.e. we have a great name :D

Villain wrote: »
    we have a great name :D

Yeah, we sure do :D Of course if it was purely down a name then I think most blue noses would support this team ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

They've just gone and rescheduled the ****ing Blackburn game.:mad:

Yea saw that in the headlines Savman any reason why?

Were you going over for the Blackburn game Savman?

I'm headin over for the Newcastle game on the 9th of February (12:45pm kick-off). I like those early morning games.

Savman, I'd take Mysteryman up on his offer on VillaTalk

• Advertisement

Fair dues to MM, but it doesn't bail the club out of what's a very shallow decision. I lose Ryanair flight money, not that much tbh, but it's the principle of the whole matter. I booked friggin tickets on the OS ffs.

Going to the Reading game this Sat too, if it doesn't get changed for TVAsia that is :rolleyes:

Yea saw that in the headlines Savman any reason why?
    Oh sorry, yes, the reason is "because both teams are out of the FA Cup and are free to play the afternoon of Sat 26th"

In other words, "we can make more money"

Urge to kill rising...rising...

Ian Holloway of Leicster FC talking about Isiah "Ozzy" Osbourne

'I thought he was going to be here this week to train with us but unfortunately he had a slight dead leg. He was supposed to be here now and I thought that was done but it should be either Monday or Tuesday of next week. At this precise moment I don't think we will do anything with him before the weekend.'

wonder if its on loan or permanent ? Ozzy really doesent look like he will be anywhere near Villas first team this year anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I havent looked at our fixture list but is it not more so that players get more rest between matchs? It sucks on the flights tickets etc though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Ian Holloway of Leicster FC talking about Isiah "Ozzy" Osbourne

'I thought he was going to be here this week to train with us but unfortunately he had a slight dead leg. He was supposed to be here now and I thought that was done but it should be either Monday or Tuesday of next week. At this precise moment I don't think we will do anything with him before the weekend.'

wonder if its on loan or permanent ? Ozzy really doesent look like he will be anywhere near Villas first team this year anyway

It's a loan - primarily a month at moment

I havent looked at our fixture list but is it not more so that players get more rest between matchs? It sucks on the flights tickets etc though.
    Yep, the official word is that it's to give the players maximum rest and I'm all for that.
    Probably just a pleasant coincidence the club will make a whole lot more cash too. I'm sure that was never an issue though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Just posted this in the transfer section:

Villa poised to sign Henrik Larsson on loan
    Jan 11 2008

By Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

SWEDISH international striker Henrik Larsson is poised to sign for Villa on loan until the end of the season. The 36-year-old Helsingborgs star was due back in Sweden yesterday for the start of their preparations for next month's UEFA Cup tie against PSV Eindhoven.

But he was seen in England earlier this week and it has now been reported he has agreed to a shock link-up with Martin O'Neill after their successful partnership at Celtic.

Larsson is best known for helping the Glasgow club win four titles in seven years.

He subsequently had a two-year spell at Barcelona, where he won two titles and the Champions League.

He joined Manchester United on a brief loan spell between January and March 2007 – and scored against Villa in a third-round FA Cup tie.

Bizarre to say the least

Very strange one. Although Larsson is way better then Harewood, he is 36 years old and I'm not sure where this fits in with MON's 5 year plan. I think that I'll take this rumour with a pinch of salt.

As long as it doesn't stop us signing Defoe or any other top class striker, I'm happy

As long as it doesn't stop us signing Defoe or any other top class striker, I'm happy

Exactly. Even though he is 36 he did do very well for Utd. And if nothing else I'd say he would be great to have around for training etc. Gabby, Moore and co. could learn a lot from him with regards to movement and positioning.

Rumours going around that Laursen has signed a new 2 year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

As shoutman said, i think its a great signing for Villa if its true. The experience he would give to the likes of Agbonlahor, Young and Moore would be such a help to their games.

Rumours going around that Laursen has signed a new 2 year deal.

2 year deal with us or with his present club?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

2 year deal with us or with his present club?

Villa is his current club or have i missed something :confused:

Laursen is meant to have signed a 2 year deal with his current club Villa.

Lol sorry I was reading laursen but thinking larsson. :) Great news regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Exactly. Even though he is 36 he did do very well for Utd. And if nothing else I'd say he would be great to have around for training etc. Gabby, Moore and co. could learn a lot from him with regards to movement and positioning.

so we should be signing him in a coaching role, not in a playing capacity

its a bloody nonsensical signing as a player

I doubt he would want to come as a coach first of all. Secondly I'm of the opinion that he still might be able to produce good football at his age, he always was the consumate professional. Thirdly if he is ****e now but wouldnt come as a coach i'd be delighted for him to come train with the team etc.

After all my moaning...the club comp'd me some tickets...and then some. Villans to Heroes :D:D

Class.

I doubt he would want to come as a coach first of all. Secondly I'm of the opinion that he still might be able to produce good football at his age, he always was the consumate professional. Thirdly if he is ****e now but wouldnt come as a coach i'd be delighted for him to come train with the team etc.

do you not think we should be focusing on bringing in players who are going to be at the club for more than 2 months tho?

Savman wrote: »
    After all my moaning...the club comp'd me some tickets...and then some. Villans to Heroes :D:D

Class.
    What did they do for you? Was it through the General?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Raekwon wrote: »
    I'd be pretty happy with them too.

As regards Milner, although he is a left-sided midfielder MON could play him on the right wing so he could cut inside and cross/shoot with his left foot (similar to the job right-sided Ashley Young does on the left wing). I think it would work a treat and would definitely give us more attacking options & balance to the side. They could also switch wings when required plus Milner could play in the middle too. *Perfect!

*Well it would be if it ever happened.

Milner is right-footed

Helix wrote: »
    do you not think we should be focusing on bringing in players who are going to be at the club for more than 2 months tho?

I don't think it's a problem doing it on a once off, and as someone else said, once it doesn't hinder getting a permanent deal, like Defoe.

Looks like those rumours about Laursen could be true: http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1212951,00.html

Great stuff, now he better not get injured!

As One cold hand said, getting Larsson on loan isnt going to stop us from signing others. I'd say it was as easy as a phone call for MON to get Larsson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

so we should be signing him in a coaching role, not in a playing capacity

its a bloody nonsensical signing as a player

I can't agree with that. He would be the perfect signing to bolster your squad for the rest of the season in the strikers department. Forget about his age - it would obviously be a loan as it was with Utd last season and I thought that worked out perfectly...I'd actually love him back on a similiar deal at Utd this month also. The man oozes class.

He's still on top of his game - supremely fit - and tops the goalscoring charts with 6 goals in this seasons UEFA Cup.

Larsson contract with Helsingborgs ended last month and they are in their close season at the moment. He returned from a holiday in S. Africa yesterday and hasn't decided whether to sign on again and spearhead their UEFA Cup challenge or move elsewhere for the rest of the season.

Savman wrote: »

Class.

Thats quality.

fullstop wrote:
    Milner is right-footed

I was waiting for somebody to mention that ;)

He can actually play with both feet as he mentions in this interview from 2004, plus he has played on the leftside of midfield for most of career.

My point still stands though, he could do a great job on the right (or left) for Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Looks like those rumours about Laursen could be true: http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1212951,00.html

Great stuff, now he better not get injured!

Hopefully Mellberg might sign too but I doubt it.
    Be sad to see him go.

Nunu wrote: »
    He would be the perfect signing to bolster your squad for the rest of the season

yeah, except he'll be going back to sweden in march again

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Hopefully Mellberg might sign too but I doubt it.
    Be sad to see him go.

Unfortunately it seems that he is as good as gone.

Link

yeah, except he'll be going back to sweden in march again

I think this story is complete BS but anyway his contract is up so it wouldn't be a loan.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems that he is as good as gone.

Link

He could still turn them down. It's not a foregone conclusion. I hope. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

anywhere to see a live feed of the match.
    preferably for free

No Mellberg in the team today!
    I wonder is this an injury or is it transfer related.

No Mellberg in the team today!
    I wonder is this an injury or is it transfer related.

Was named but was taken ill close to KO.

• Advertisement

Get In!!!

All this talk of new striker seems to have spurred Big John into action!

1-0 half time.

and the Togolese zidane:D primed to make an impact from the bench for the 1st time methinks. go on Salifou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

how are yee watching the match?

2-0

God II scored.

im not but 2-0 Laursen wooo

his 6th of the season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement