Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

3-1. Great result, hell of a change from last season when they beat us 2-0.

Sitting pretty in 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Or you could say tied 4th!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

4 Liverpool 21 21 39

5 Everton 22 16 39
    6 Aston Villa 22 12 39

7 Man City 22 6 39

Looks good BH!

Good win today. I know reading weren't great today but the have some useful players. Good to see big john on the scoresheet a couple of times...

Looks good BH!

and considering we have Liverpool next it could be even better for us especially with Liverpool having to play Luton again while Villa rest. hopefully though only the players will be resting and during the week MON gets our goal scoring superstar hero (ahh good auld Sensible Soccer) Matin Laursen to sign on for a few more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

a bread and butter win for any top six side really.....oh wait villa seem to be a top six side now happy days! gone are the days where a game like this could easily have been a draw

speaking of which Doug was meant to be at the game today sitting in the holte no less! fair ****s to him, i know we all have our opinions on him but maybe...just maybe... we should cut him some slack now randys around....

<ducks for cover>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ellis goes to all the home games, hes honorary president of the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

my surprise was at ellis sitting in the holte end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I've no problems with Ellis at all. He gave the club to a great team, I admit he took his time in handing over, but at the end of the day his heart was always in the right place and he always had Villa in a great financial position. Anyone would take him over Peter Risdale any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Nunu wrote: »
    I can't agree with that. He would be the perfect signing to bolster your squad for the rest of the season in the strikers department. Forget about his age - it would obviously be a loan as it was with Utd last season and I thought that worked out perfectly...I'd actually love him back on a similiar deal at Utd this month also. The man oozes class.

He's still on top of his game - supremely fit - and tops the goalscoring charts with 6 goals in this seasons UEFA Cup.

Larsson contract with Helsingborgs ended last month and they are in their close season at the moment. He returned from a holiday in S. Africa yesterday and hasn't decided whether to sign on again and spearhead their UEFA Cup challenge or move elsewhere for the rest of the season.

Larsson has signed up again for Helsingborg:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_3042806,00.html

• Advertisement

eurosport wrote:
    Larsson Rumours Are News To O'Neill

Sun 13 Jan, 04:09 PM

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has again played down speculation that he is set to sign Helsingborgs striker Henrik Larsson on loan.

The pair were key figures making Celtic a force in European football, and recent reports have claimed Larsson could soon be working for his old Parkhead boss once again.

But after Saturday's 3-1 win over Reading O'Neill said: "It is news to me. That doesn't mean Henrik Larsson isn't a great footballer, absolutely terrific - but I have not spoken to anybody."

Larsson of course spent three months on loan at Manchester United last season.

Yes nunu MON had denied any knowledge of a possible deal for him.

MON talking about the great Dane Martin Laursen:

'We want to do it and Martin has been pretty receptive. I cannot say for certain about anything until people actually sign a deal.

'But the fact is there would be a lot of fans at Villa, as well as myself, who would be disappointed if we didn't do it.

'What is the chance of it happening? I couldn't say. We want to do it and we've been in contact.'

O'Neill has however dismissed those reports that put the lengthy delays down to the club wanting Laursen to prove his fitness.

'This has got nothing to do with Martin Laursen proving his fitness. He has done that now. He has played consecutive games when I would have had serious doubts about it this time last year.

'He has proved himself worthy and I want to do it. I've got a lot of regard for a lot of our players in the dressing room and Laursen is up there with any of them.'

Martin also commented on Laursen's bravery and stubborness to not let his knee injury get the better of him, especially in light of how he has come bouncing back both as a rock in our defence, but also at the other end of the pitch showing our strikers what to do.

'Martin is a competitor. He doesn't think there are lost causes. He has been terrific. You would have got long odds on this 18 months ago and it is great credit to him and I genuinely mean that.

'He was desperately trying to get fit. He had been out a long time. Lesser people than him might have thought 'this might not be for me'.

'As for his goals, Martin is on a good run. He could go the next 25 games and not score a goal but he gets chances every game.

'This is not a case of where he is going up the pitch for show. He is not going 60-70 yards, expending energy, without wanting to do something. He is capable and wants to get in there.'

Nunu wrote: »
    Larsson has signed up again for Helsingborg:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_3042806,00.html

thank christ for that

anyone have any idea who this guy is.... ive never heard of him
    http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/01/13/Premier-League-Calve-on-future/

just noticed this on another site

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EJNrBMwakJI
    Stan Collymore gives us a tour around the all new Bodymoor Heath

Looks good regarding Laursen signing a new contract, Sky sports news are reporting that he is looking to stay at the club "if his reasonable demands are met" and that his agent is meeting with the club during the week to sort it out.

How reasonable do you think Laursen is? 30k a week?

shoutman wrote: »
    How reasonable do you think Laursen is? 30k a week?

I'd give him whatever the hell he wants. If he asks for cocaine and hookers then give them to him!!

I'd give him whatever the hell he wants. If he asks for cocaine and hookers then give them to him!!

what a contract that would be! all the news coming out of VP be it from Laursen, MON or the fans seems to indicate that he will sign up this week.

Sky news were reporting yesterday that Gary Cahill is the subject of a 4million pound bid and interest from birmingham and bolton I think it was.

• Advertisement

dont think we should let him go. Not everyone is agreed on the potential the guy has but I think he should only be let go back out on loan till the end of the season to continue to gain first team experience. we will need him next season if Ollie goes to Juventus, as any club needs more than 1 backup CB (Knight in our case).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

4 million is a good bid for him but with Mellberg going and Laursen most likely to only last another season or 2 at most, we need cover for Knight and Davies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I think it would be a bad decision to let Cahill go. As I said in my last post he could possible forge a good defensive partnership with for Davis in a few years time, plus he is a much better defender then Knight (yet he is being mooted at around the same £4m mark also).

I'm actually quite surprised that we are halfway through the transfer window and most of the rumours are about players leaving :rolleyes: Will it be another minute spending spree or is MON happy enough with his current squad?

I think O'Neill is very sure of the players he wants and will try his best to get them him, I don't think he will splash the cash on players just because he couldn't get the ones he wants.

He's in a hard situation because we are joint 4th and if we were to pull off a win on Monday people would start to say we should get a champions league spot. So does he splash the cash and get some seasoned quality to push for the 4th spot and obviously being in the Champions League will help in signing top players in the summer.

Or does he try and get the players he wants and concentrate on his 5 year plan and not buy simply to push for Europe now and then fall back next year because the big rushed buys don't work out.

Obviously I want 4th spot but I don't want MON buying players that will be a big risk and want out in the summer if we don't get 4th.

I really think 4th spot is beyond Villa's limits at the moment to be honest.

No doubt if Villa qualify for europe at all we will need to bring in at least another 5 players just to add to the squad. MON has said himself how it is a blessing in disguise that we are not in europe this year as our players can stay fitter for longer then the other teams who have had long cup runs who are playing in europe.

The squad is too small and it would be haphazard for MON to allow players to leave, Cahill imo is a decent prospect, although 4million is a good bid, I don't think it should be accepted except in the case where villa have a replacement certain to sign. Imo Cahill is not worth 4mil but in the current state of affairs I would prefere for the club to hold onto him.

just saw this on VitalVilla

General Krulak here:

1. Laursen is with us!

good news everone our player of the season thus far is seemingly signed up according to General Krulak.

• Advertisement

I don't think Villa will finish 4th, even if we do beat Liverpool at Anfield (which I don't think we will) we still have to go to Old Trafford, The Empires, Fratton Park & Goodison Park and we would be lucky to pick up 3 points in total from those games. Even though we have a few tough games ahead of us I still think that we can finish in the UEFA Cup places.

Realistically MON should totally forget the idea of letting any players go (loans aside) and focus on bringing a few players in instead. I'm sure he knows what players that he wants and I have no doubt that he will do his best to get them but we are at the halfway point in the window and there is still a gaping hole at rightback. With plan a: Jose Bosingwa & plan B: Justin Hoyte now seeming gone hopefully MON has a plan c up his sleeve? (Miguel from Valencia perhaps?)

Shoutman I thought until a few weeks ago that 7th was beyond us yet IF, and its a huge huge if, we beat Liverpool Monday we could really challenge for 4th, I mean if you look at the Home games we have left below we really should be able to finish strongly as long as we don't get hit with some serious injuries, I'm not saying I expect us to get 4th or I think we will, but its a possibility now.

Aston Villa v Blackburn
    Aston Villa v Newcastle
    Aston Villa v Middlesbrough
    Aston Villa v Sunderland
    Aston Villa v Bolton
    Aston Villa v Birmingham
    Aston Villa v Wigan

Great news on Laursen

A couple of sources have linked Villa with Romanian international centre half Nicolae Dorin Goian as a possible replacement for Olof Mellberg. He is 27 and stands at a towering 6'5 but I would question his £5m price tag considering he has only played in the Romanian league so far in his 10 year career.

Btw do you think will be playing in goal on Monday night versus Liverpool? Carson would be eligible so I'd say Taylor will get the nod ahead of Sorensen (who will probably leave in the next few weeks anyway).

Raekwon wrote: »
    A couple of sources have linked Villa with Romanian international centre half Nicolae Dorin Goian as a possible replacement for Olof Mellberg. He is 27 and stands at a towering 6'5 but I would question his £5m price tag considering he has only played in the Romanian league so far in his 10 year career.

sounds a real mon defender anyway. big, strong, and gets goals

Yea am 99% certain it will be Taylor.
    Anyone got any further news on the Carson situation? Will he be at VP next season?

• Advertisement

id imagine we'll announce carson has signed permanantly after the pool game and before the end of the month

Btw do you think will be playing in goal on Monday night versus Liverpool? Carson would be eligible so I'd say Taylor will get the nod ahead of Sorensen (who will probably leave in the next few weeks anyway).

Not really so sure about this. There's talk of selling Cahill for about 4mil. Don't see the point in doing this and then bringing in an older player who has only played in a poorer standard league and unproven. It seems the exact same as getting rid of Ridgewell and bringing Knight. I don't see the point.

And i would reckon Taylor will play.

Also Raekwon you pointed out our tough away games. This true, but I think more critically we have an very manageable run in at home, as Villain pointed out. It is possible to win all of these (although I realise we probably won't). But pick up a couple away from home and you'd never know!!

Not really so sure about this. There's talk of selling Cahill for about 4mil. Don't see the point in doing this and then bringing in an older player who has only played in a poorer standard league and unproven. It seems the exact same as getting rid of Ridgewell and bringing Knight. I don't see the point.

And i would reckon Taylor will play.

Also Raekwon you pointed out our tough away games. This true, but I think more critically we have an very manageable run in at home, as Villain pointed out. It is possible to win all of these (although I realise we probably won't). But pick up a couple away from home and you'd never know!!

I totally agree with your points regarding selling Cahill and getting an older replacement in for more money, I was also thinking of the Ridgewell/Knight situation because it seems very similar. It would make more sense to keep hold of Cahill (loan him out for the rest of the season even) and get a rightback in as soon as possible instead of looking at centre-halves when we have 5 currently at the club.

I know what you mean about our remaining home fixtures, I am looking at them now and to be honest there would be no reason for us not to win the vast majority of them. My main worry is with our away fixtures against teams that are ahead of us and directly competing with us for a UEFA Cup place (5 away games with 15 points up for grabs between us and our closest rivals). But in saying that Villa have a decent away record this season so I am optimistic we can nick a few away draws so the likes of Everton & Pompey don't pull away from us.

Just because we are playing away doesn't mean that we are going to lose to our rivals. I think in big games like this the players will be so focused that it shouldn't matter too much.
    Plus our away form is good and the travelling fans do an excellent job. We should definately be looking for at least one win over our european spot rivals.

I totally agree with your points regarding selling Cahill and getting an older replacement in for more money, I was also thinking of the Ridgewell/Knight situation because it seems very similar. It would make more sense to keep hold of Cahill (loan him out for the rest of the season even) and get a rightback in as soon as possible instead of looking at centre-halves when we have 5 currently at the club.

I know what you mean about our remaining home fixtures, I am looking at them now and to be honest there would be no reason for us not to win the vast majority of them. My main worry is with our away fixtures against teams that are ahead of us and directly competing with us for a UEFA Cup place (5 away games with 15 points up for grabs between us and our closest rivals). But in saying that Villa have a decent away record this season so I am optimistic we can nick a few away draws so the likes of Everton & Pompey don't pull away from us.

You make good points!
    I'm just thrilled to be having discussions about qualification for CL or Europe. Last year we were saying 'If we don't win a game soon we're gonna be in a relegation scrap soon.' Now we're saying 'If we get something against Liverpool we're in with a shout of 4th'. Happy day in my books!!

You make good points!
    I'm just thrilled to be having discussions about qualification for CL or Europe. Last year we were saying 'If we don't win a game soon we're gonna be in a relegation scrap soon.' Now we're saying 'If we get something against Liverpool we're in with a shout of 4th'. Happy day in my books!!

Yep, it's brilliant to be having such discussions :) MON & Mr. Lerner have certainly turned the club around after years of midtable mediocrecy. As you say, happy days! :)

gaz baz injured, possibly out for pool

its a hip injury and he isnt confirmed out yet, thankfully the game isnt on till monday

also o'halloran is off to southampton on loan

meaning if barry is out we're gonna struggle to fill the bench against pool

Never fear 'Togolese Zidane' will be available

• Advertisement

yeah, on the pitch for 40 seconds and cost us a goal on saturday lol

If Barry isnt fit Maloney starts on the right and Petrov moves into his prefered CM position. and the black zizou keeps his place on the bench

all joking aside, i have a feeling salifou is going to do something really special on monday, and i have nothing to base that on

lol ah now don't go slating our Zidane! He hadn't a great game for the Reserves last week either but apparently has shown some good spells in the Reserves. Doubt if pool is the game to give him some match time.

Gabby, Petrov, NRC, Young will be our midfield if Barry is out with Carew up front and Maloney playing off him in an AMC role or play Gabby up top and Stick Gardener in the middle with Petrov out wide.

Helix wrote: »
    gaz baz injured, possibly out for pool

Uh oh.
    I assume Olof is okay now? so Gardner can push onto the right wing, with NRC and Petrov in the middle?

Not too worried about the bench, I'm sure MON will have signed Defoe, Chimbonda, Fred, Giles Barnes, Henrik Larsson, Goian, Riise and Diarra by then.

I reckon Gardner will play in midfield. A bit more defensive for a tough away game...could be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Aston Villa are an example for Newcastle to follow. Glad for ye to be up challenging again. Really like Martin O'Neill as a bloke and manager too.

Still hope ye get stuffed on Monday mind! ;)

Well our record is pretty dismal but then again so is Liverpool football club at the minute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and yet, still in 4th with a game in hand ;)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and yet, still in 4th with a game in hand ;)

and if we beat yis will you be crowing about being 7th with a game in hand?

:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement