Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

****ing right! have you never read any of my posts on these boards?! i'm the eternal optimist! pleased to meet you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have two die hard Pool fan brothers and honestly if I had a Euro for everytime they mentioned "Game/s in hand" I could retire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I can not wait till monday night now. It's going to be spectacular seeing Togolese Zizou coming off the bench to score a hat-trick....

(Yes this was a very thinly veiled brag to remind everyone that I am going to the match ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Aston Villa are an example for Newcastle to follow. Glad for ye to be up challenging again. Really like Martin O'Neill as a bloke and manager too.

Still hope ye get stuffed on Monday mind! ;)

Great post, digital five for that one!! Hope ye get stuffed aswell!!

Are Liverpool a popular team in Japan? I'll be in Japan by Monday so would love to get the game in amongst some crazy japanese people!!

shoutman wrote: »
    I can not wait till monday night now. It's going to be spectacular seeing Togolese Zizou coming off the bench to score a hat-trick....

You will see the lads playing? Are you going to the game or something??!!

Thats what I would read into your subtle post!!

• Advertisement

not sure if we're popular in Japan, although we did play a pre-season tournament in the far east during the summer and the place was full to the rafters of Liverpool jerseys on the locals, so i'd imagine we may be!

Also met a fella in the Albert pub (beside Anfield) before who had actually flown all the way from Japan on his own to watch the game, it was a CL group game (Betis maybe?cant remember). We had actually already qualified so it was totally meaningless, but none the less he was still there, and couldnt speak a word of English, not that it would have been any use to him in that neck of the woods anyway! ;)

Apparently Spurs have realised that 5 top class strikers is a bit too many one club. So Defoe has been spotted in Birmingham having a chat with MON. Linky.

Also on a very funny note, Quoted from F365:

'Bolton boss Gary Megson is bidding to sign Aston Villa's Olof Mellberg for £1.5million'

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahah!!!!! Good luck with Megson you intolerable twat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Apparently Spurs have realised that 5 top class strikers is a bit too many one club. So Defoe has been spotted in Birmingham having a chat with MON. Linky.

As soon as Tottenham signed Fred I knew Defoe would finally see that his future is away from WHL. As long as he doesn't come out with more deluded drivel such as: "I want to stay and fight (a losing battle) for my place" then Villa will more then likely sign him. Sounds good to me :)
    'Bolton boss Gary Megson is bidding to sign Aston Villa's Olof Mellberg for £1.5million'!

Haha this one is brilliant :D The only reason Mellberg is leaving Villa is to join a huge European club so he can play in the CL etc. I seriously doubt that Olly will be even remotely tempted to hook up with Smiler McCann and JL Samuel ever again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Defoe will be going to Villa, I have a couple of sources on that.

Will he be there by monday?

• Advertisement

Will he be there by monday?

I really don't know.

He definitely was in Brum yesterday for talks, and I'm told he's in the area today looking at properties to buy.

I'd be surprised if he starts for Spurs vs Sunderland on Saturday, but Berbatov is suffering from flu and Ramos might decide to delay a move until the middle of next week (at least until after the Carling Cup semi)

Yea the whole buying property deal was released by his missus in hello or one of these magazines. Would be great to see him in the squad for monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Been saying it for ages, but Defoe would be an absolutely huge signing for Villa on so many levels. Finally we'd have someone who could help us break down those stubborn Top 4 defences, that's the difference between Top 10 and Top 6 IMHO.

And, er, Mellberg would be a huge signing for Bolton....hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Laursen and Defoe in the one week!! Now that would be a great week!

Great news about Laursen!

I also think Defoe would be an amazing signing for us, he could be the 20 goal a season striker that we have been looking for. IMO he is the sort of player that Villa have lacked over the years, we got a few good seasons from Yorke & Angel but never on a consistent basis. It will be interesting to see what MON does with Gabby if Defoe does sign. I think he is very similar to Defoe and MON likes his 'big & little man' pairing up front it seems so he could possibly push Gabby out to the right and let Defoe partner Carew up top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

He definitely was in Brum yesterday for talks

he definitely wasnt

mon wasnt at bodymoore yesterday, all reports say defoe met o'neill there which has been piddled on

also rumours that hes been looking at a house next to ashley young in strat-on-avon have been called as bull too, coz young lives in stourbridge

Brilliant! That's made my week!

Helix wrote: »
    he definitely wasnt

mon wasnt at bodymoore yesterday, all reports say defoe met o'neill there which has been piddled on

also rumours that hes been looking at a house next to ashley young in strat-on-avon have been called as bull too, coz young lives in stourbridge

Yeah I'm still quite sceptical about the Defoe deal. A lot of rumours flying around. When there's an official statement from the club I'll believe it!!

he definitely wasnt

The account I heard never mentioned MON. He was in Brum.

I'm not relying on paper accounts btw.

• Advertisement

he had no talks with us yesterday tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The club are neither confirming nor denying, Helix. I'd think he was in Birmingham alright..

he had no talks with us yesterday tho

Based on what, the denial he's in talks because MON wasn't at Bodymoor yesterday?

Like I said, what I heard was he was in Brum for talks, just not with your manager.

Based on what, the denial he's in talks because MON wasn't at Bodymoor yesterday?

Like I said, what I heard was he was in Brum for talks, just not with your manager.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/01/17/villa-rubbish-defoe-talk/

Yes, I've seen that.
    Reports that Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe was at Bodymoor for talks with Villa boss Martin O’Neill yesterday are untrue.

O’Neill is a long-time admirer of the Spurs forward, but the manager was away from Bodymoor yesterday.

The bold bit is most important I believe.

For the third and last time, the version I heard never involved Martin O'Neill.

Bye.

so who exactly was he in talks with then?

the tea lady?

In talks with whom then?

Fcuking hell, why do I bother?

He was with his agent, in Brum, for talks with Villa officials. Not Martin O'Neill.

Thats what I was told, by a very good friend this morning, who has very good contacts at Spurs.

Believe me, don't believe me, I couldn't care less.

That quote in the linked article is not a denial he's had talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

lads, a lot of times players will meet with chairmen without managers, its not that unusual

perhaps he met the chairman to sort out money first and will meet o neill at a later date

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

a lot of the stories mentioned MON but the quotes did not.

A source told the Birmingham Post: "Jermain has been to talk to Villa. The problem now is negotiating a fee and that may prove to be the sticking point."

this was followed by
    From the Express and star :

Aston Villa were today edging closer to signing £10m-rated Jermain Defoe.

Sources in London say Defoe met Villa representatives for talks yesterday and today amid rumours from supporters the England international has bought a house in Lichfield.

Also MON was at the Spurs vs Reading cup game and left after Defoe was subbed
    ---
    O’Neill has also scotched talk of Wilfred Bouma leaving after the full-back was linked with a return to PSV.

“We have an option for another year and I’ll speak to Wilfred about that,” said O’Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Oh. You're not very friendly.

According to Sky Sports Juventus want Mellberg this month instead of in the summer like everybody is led to believe. This coupled with the news that Gary Cahill has been given permission to talk to Birmingham City has set alarm bells ringing in my head.

Hopefully it is just gossip, MON wouldn't be silly enough to let players leave without adequate cover would he? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Bloose have been given permission to talk to Gary Cahill - unsure if it is a loan or permanent deal. :mad:

I have no problem selling Cahill for 4million, providing that we get a replacement in. Also Mellberg wont be sold if a right back hasnt come in by then.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Hopefully it is just gossip, MON wouldn't be silly enough to let players leave without adequate cover would he? ;)

Never!!
    **ahem*cough*Arron*Hughes*ahem*cough**!!

• Advertisement

Selling Cahill only makes sense if a player of simalar or better quality is going to be signed, although I think myself a RB will be signed and Mellberg won't go until the summer so then we will Have a new RB and so have 4 CB's fighting for 2 places in Laursen, Davies, Mellberg and Knight, now if a RB isn't bought then you only have 1 decent CB for cover unless you play Gardener RB and then Mellberg can cover.

4 Million is a good offer but I thought we have moved on from the Ellis era of selling to buy, I mean MON can't keep talking about a small squad and then allow players like Cahill to leave unless he has other players signed up to come in, its going to be interested to see what happens.

I have no problem selling Cahill for 4million, providing that we get a replacement in.

Even if the replacement was a few years older and cost more money like when Ridgewell was replaced by Knight? (Btw if media sources are right then we have a 27 year old lined up who will cost £5m).
    Also Mellberg wont be sold if a right back hasnt come in by then.

I would certainly hope so but then I read this little gem and it got me even more worried.

Agree 100% Villain.

Brede Hangeland, a potential Cahill/Mellberg replacement is set to join Fulham for £3.5m. The 6'5 Norwegian International was strongly linked with a move to Villa in the summer but is now in the capital for a medical with The Cottagers.

Oh well.

ive pretty much given up hope of signing anyone this window now at this stage

all i can hope for now is that we somehow manage to go through the rest of the season without a single injury/suspension

• Advertisement

Oh ye of little faith.
    Allthough heard this morning that Defoe and SWP said they want to play under Keegan at newcastle. Sounds like nonsense if you ask me. If SWP was moving away from Chelski he would be an unbelievable signing for us imo.
    So agger is out for liverpool game. Mellberg will be back, Taylor will start in goal and Barry is still a doubt.

He was with his agent, in Brum, for talks with Villa officials. Not Martin O'Neill.

Thats what I was told, by a very good friend this morning, who has very good contacts at Spurs.

Believe me, don't believe me, I couldn't care less.

That quote in the linked article is not a denial he's had talks.

yeah sorry my apology youre dead right

someone better tell martin o'neill tho, coz he made a show of himself when he said this today:
    Martin O'Neill has dismissed claims that he is on the brink of signing Tottenham's Jermain Defoe.
    Reports claimed that Defoe has even been in Birmingham to look around Villa's training ground and discuss personal terms
    However, O'Neill has denied having any contact with Defoe or Tottenham.
    "It is simply untrue, absolutely and utterly untrue - it couldn't be any fairer than that," O'Neill told Sky Sports News.
    "I think that sort of statement, if you're talking about a player at a football club - where the two haven't talked to each other, is grossly unfair."

obviously he hasnt been talking to you to get the inside track in the last 24 hours tho

yeah sorry my apology youre dead right

someone better tell martin o'neill tho, coz he made a show of himself when he said this today:

obviously he hasnt been talking to you to get the inside track in the last 24 hours tho

My internet crayon is broken, so I'll write this nice and big for your benefit:

I say again, believe me, don't believe me, I couldn't care less.

and tell me, how does this contract extension that defoe is meant to have signed today fit into all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LOL tbh, lads forget it, just agree to disagree and move on? time will tell dont you agree? in more important matters, come on villa!!!! love to see ye get a result against the pool and its not exactly far from the imagination to see it happening....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

It is fairly irritating when someone comes in talking about their amazing anonymous source that they've heard, and expect people to just take it at face value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

really just sounds like paper talk but Villa were today linked with Julio "The Beast" Baptista.
    ---
    Manchester City and Aston Villa are interested in Real Madrid forward Julio Baptista, the Brazilian who played on loan at Arsenal. (News of the World)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sunday times reporting yesterday that Mick Wallace said that talks between Kevin Doyle and Villa are progressing???

Anyone hear anything about this?

Doyle has been linked but its all rumours and gossip nothing concrete

No more news about possible arrives, only more news about possible departures.

Harry Redknapp is apparently lining up a move for Villa's injury hit midfielder Patrik Berger (he is also chasing Villa old boy Milan Baros).

Also Liam Ridgewell has told Sky Sports that he would love if Gary Cahill would join him in the Championship next season ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement