Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

no i cant see us actually getting as far as the group stages myself, but itll help attract a higher quality of player in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Lads, seriously, Champions League? We'd be shown up for the limited footballing side we are. Too many players still in their development (pass, Gabby, ****ing pass!) and we'd be way out of our depth.

Great if it happens, but our involvement in the competition would be short lived whereas with the UEFA we would definitely have a moderate chance at success, bearing in mind O'Neill got Celtic to the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

thankfully Gabby can rest while all the other teams are playing cup games etc. we do need re-inforcements tho and everyone knows it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DSB wrote: »
    I think we'd do very well in the Champions League. 2nd round maybe quarters depending on the draw. Can't see us qualifying for it though. UEFA cup will do lovely. Never know though. We'd need a few signings i think.

ha ha ha, opened this thread and this is the first post i see! ^^^^^

cool your jets lads, we are having a dire time for over a month and still are on course for our 4th place finish.

deflection tonight and two mental minutes got you a point. wouldnt go booking the trips to Barcalona,Milan etc just yet :p

Fair play on the point. wouldnt call it deserved, but i dont mind Villa so **** it.

Savman wrote: »

whereas with the UEFA we would definitely have a moderate chance at success, bearing in mind O'Neill got Celtic to the final.

and that McClaren got Boro to the final. I dont think that we will make the CL either, i think right now thats a dream (though sometimes dreams do come through) but if we got into Europe and got rid of our "smallest squad in the Prem" tag we would have a very good chance in the uefa cup.

and that McClaren got Boro to the final.
    :confused: Relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha ha, opened this thread and this is the first post i see! ^^^^^

cool your jets lads, we are having a dire time for over a month and still are on course for our 4th place finish.

deflection tonight and two mental minutes got you a point. wouldnt go booking the trips to Barcalona,Milan etc just yet :p

Fair play on the point. wouldnt call it deserved, but i dont mind Villa so **** it.

Em read my post. I said I don't think we'll qualify for the Champions League.

:confused: Relevance?

Boro are shi.te and werent much better the year they got to the final. IMO Villa right now are better than they were and surely we would have strenghtened before the start of next season.

Boro are shi.te and werent much better the year they got to the final. IMO Villa right now are better than they were and surely we would have strenghtened before the start of next season.
    I'm still stumped as to how that relates to anything? The only point I was making was that we'd get booted out of the CL in no time unlike the UEFA Cup where MON has experience and reached the final. It's a competition we could very possibly do well in, I've no doubt about that.

I really don't see what McClown has to do with anything, hell it was probably that which got him the Ingerland job. Jaysis, if Villaboro can do it, the real Villa can ;)

I actually agree with you and it was actually the last line of your post that I was suggesting.
    if Villaboro can do it, the real Villa can ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Just back from Liverpool.
    It was great being at an away match for once.

I was row two immediately behind the goal so was pretty cool.

First half was brutal, couldn't string more then a few passes together, at times it looked like league of Ireland stuff.
    The ref was a bit iffy with some of the decisions he made, I haven't seen the replay of Liverpool's first goal but a lot of people beside me thought that there might of been a foul in the run up to the goal.

I thought our back four played quite well, it certainly looks a lot safer with Davies in the team before Knight.
    We really did miss Barry, our passing was all over the place in the first half and I thought NRC slowed up the ball too often in the first half where there was some good counter attacking chances.
    Gardner also seemed to play very narrow which didn't help us going forward.

When Harewood came on in the second half he was seriously fired up for it. As soon as he came on he started jumping around the place and shouting at everyone, it was great to see.

Carew looked like his heart was in it a lot more in the second half. Midway through the first half when the away section started with the "Carew Carew he's on fire chant" he looked over and clapped then shook his head, so he realised that he wasnt having the best of games.
    I was incredibly disappointed with Gabby and definately think he could do with a break. He was very much lacklustre, he wasn;t chasing down the ball and there was plenty of times where he could of moved into good positions but just didn't.

Was Moore on the bench?

Anyway before the match I'd gladly take a 2-2 draw and thought we would of been undeserving of a win. We are in a great position to challenge for europe now, so touch wood we stay clear of injury's to key players, Mellberg,Barry,Young etc.

For me Laursen was great again last night, I never realised how quick he is. NRC did well, playing doggedly in midfield but I think he needs Barry beside him so he can pass him the ball and let Barry spray it around the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Randy was there last night too while Gillet and Hicks weren't, I just hope Randy sees what we can do when we play badly without our best midfielder and gives MON a blank cheque book to sign a right winger and a right back and a creative midfielder.

if randy gave mon a blank cheque, itd probably end up gathering dust under a big pile of press releases about how we have the smallest club in the league and are only a few injuries away from falling away

True but surely MON saw last night then if we want to stay in the top 7 we need to buy players. I mean if NRC or Petrov was also out last night what would we have been left with.

We were awful last night and the only thing that saved us was MON's ability to make us get something from set-pieces because from open play we had no ideas other than hit the ball high to Carew's head.

Villain wrote: »
    from open play we had no ideas other than hit the ball high to Carew's head.

that sums us up against decent teams tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

9 days left until the transfer window slams shut and it seems all quiet on the transfer front where potential signings are concerned. There are a few rumours of players leaving though:

Villa have rejected a bid from Birmingham for Gary Cahill, but the promising central defender is still available if any club can match Villa's £4m valuation of the player.

Also Rangers have been linked with Villa striker Luke Moore, who is thought to be rated at around the £3m bracket.

Angry Villa boss Martin O’Neill today threatened to bring in the Press Complaints Commission over reports he met Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe at the club’s Bodymoor Heath training ground.

Defoe had been heavily linked with a move to Villa before announcing he was staying at Spurs yesterday.

Reports last week said the England international had met O’Neill at Villa’s £13m training complex.

“This idea that Jermain Defoe was seen at the training ground – I’m sorry, sometimes people are going to have to believe me occasionally,” said O’Neill.

“That one is a Press Complaints issue and I’m very serious about that.

“I said he wasn’t at the training ground and when I said through (Villa’s head of media) Phil Mepham he wasn’t at the training ground, I thought that would be it.”

"my das friends cousins sisters postmans dogs last owners uncles mother in law said defoe is definitely signing" has been p1ssed on even further

Jermaine Defoe has been spotted in a hotel in Brum. Again. I'm sure of it.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has placed a £3.5million price tag on striker Luke Moore.

Rangers have been linked with a move for the 21-year-old, although a firm bid has not yet been forthcoming for the England Under 21 international.

Gers boss Walter Smith has spoken to O'Neill about the youngster, but his interest has cooled somewhat after being quoted a price by the Villa boss.

"Rangers haven't come in for Luke in terms of a bid, but Walter Smith asked me about him and that's as far as it's gone," he told the Birmingham Mail.

"Is there a £3.5million price tag? Well, yes, obviously because Luke is a Premier League player and that's what he would cost in this day and age. I spoke to Walter maybe about a week ago and he hasn't been in touch with me since."

*sigh*

• Advertisement

Let him go imo he's not going to be the quality we need at the this level, sad to say I know but I'd actually prefer he went somewhere and got a chance to play.

im more worried about being able to fill a bench

We're worryingly low, but the truth is Luke has just been making up the numbers this season. Cannot remember the last time he really had any impact on a game he played in. Pretty disappointing considering he was in during Carew's fairly lengthy absence a while back.

Yea I agree, he doesn't have a future at the club as he just isn't up to standard. It's unfortunate but that's life.

In the match programme yesterday we had a listed squad of 23 players including Barry and O'Halloran.....

Goalkeeper:
    * 1 Thomas Sorensen
    * 13 Stuart Taylor
    * 22 Scott Carson

Defender:
    * 15 Curtis Davies
    * 16 Zat Knight
    * 21 Gary Cahill
    * 29 Stephen O'Halloran
    * 3 Wilfred Bouma
    * 4 Olof Mellberg
    * 5 Martin Laursen

Midfielder:
    * 19 Stiliyan Petrov
    * 20 Nigel Reo-Coker
    * 23 Patrik Berger
    * 25 Zoltan Stieber (out on loan)
    * 26 Craig Gardner
    * 27 Isaiah Osbourne
    * 28 Shaun Maloney
    * 6 Gareth Barry
    * - Moustapha Salifou

Striker:
    * 10 John Carew
    * 11 Gabriel Agbonlahor
    * 7 Ashley Young
    * 8 Luke Moore
    * 9 Marlon Harewood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

could MON not send him on loan again somewhere? at the very least he might find his goalscoring boots and come good, maybe Boro might take him:p! and if he does go on loan it puts him in the shop window and other clubs will probably pay for him if they see he's got regular games and not the odd unimpressive runout and sub appearance with Villa.

what we dont want to happen is him is to become the new Andrew "Andy" Johnson, look how much the Brum would love to have him now!

• Advertisement

Just delaying the inevitable tbh. Harewood has scored 2 goals off the bench and can't get a sniff of a run in the team. Moore got a run of games and did nothing. Normally you can cut your misfiring frontman a bit of slack if his all round game is important to the side, a la Carew. But Moore doesn't even offer link up play and anytime I've watched him he's a total ghost. Obviously isn't happy @ VP so absolutely no point to keep him once we get a decent offer.

He has a loooooong way to go to realise his potential. 1 goal this season ffs!

True, true, its such a shame though because like i think every other Villa fan i had such high hopes for him and Stefan, and their various cameo performances against Boro and Charlton seasons ago, c'est la vie i guess......

I think Villa should try to keep hold of Gary Cahill but let Luke Moore go. With Mellberg leaving in the summer we have the perfect backup player for Davis & Laursen in Cahill, it would be foolish to let him leave. As for Moore, he has seriously lacked hunger this season and has come across as a sulker which is the last thing a team pushing for Europe need in the dressing room.

This is pure speculation, but Villa have been linked with 21 year old Colombian International striker Radamel Falcao García Zárate. He plays for River Plate in Argentina and sources from a South America newspaper called Olé, (its in Spanish!) have reported a £5m bid for the player from Villa. Sounds interesting, he could be the new Saviola or Angel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He's getting as much out of Rangers as he can. ;)

And so he should, Villa have been buying over priced players and selling off bargin priced players for way too long now. Anyway, the Luke Moore deal is hinged on Daniel Cousin moving from Rangers to Fulham for £3m (which according to Sky Sports is going ahead today). So if Rangers can accept £3m for a 30 year old then they can certainly pay £3.5m for a 21 year old, I don't even know why the fee is even an issue, Moore will definitely score goals in the SPL. Maybe Rangers are just tight bastards? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

hi all. fellow villans. chack out avie.aceboard.ie for the irishvillans forum. were a supporters club who meet in the duke pub jsut off grafton street when the villa are on tv. we were formed in 1993 and are still going strong after numerous changes in chairpersons and committie members. hope to see you all at the next match in the duke. all villa fans welcome.

villains 77

should have beaten the scousers fair play to crouch he took it well. if we beat blackburn on sat we go 4th as its the only prem match on its an fa cup weekend

Ok I have to admit, when SSN reports there's only 7 days left in the transfer window, I get bloody anxious. All leads seem to have dried up :confused:

Villa are reported to be keen on Rangers right back Alan Hutton (yes.....an actual right back!). Tottenham are also interested in the £9m rated Scotland International but Villa could tempt Rangers with Luke Moore in a player + cash deal.

Also QPR are showing interest in Villa's want away keep Thomas Sorensen. Talk about falling from grace.

Expect MON to make half a dozen bids a few hours before midnight on January 31st ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Raekwon wrote: »
    Villa are reported to be keen on Rangers right back Alan Hutton (yes.....an actual right back!). Tottenham are also interested in the £9m rated Scotland International but Villa could tempt Rangers with Luke Moore in a player + cash deal.

Rangers accepted a bid from Spurs already but Hutton turned us down twice.

Theories are that he's either hoping for a move to ManYoo who were rumoured to be interested after comments from SAF, or that there is some family problem that requires him to stay near Glasgow. I;ve seen both mentioned on other boards.

Newcastle are also believed to be interested.

Rangers are willing to sell.

[edit]thought I was on the transfer movers and shakers thread! equally valid here[/edit]

Tottenham have had a £8m bid (that would rise to £9m) practically accepted by Rangers but Hutton turned the move down because he is reluctant to move from Glasgow as his wife is expecting a baby in a few weeks.

The twist is that Walter Smith has been enquiring about Luke Moore and with Rangers selling one of their strikers yesterday he could be back on the phone to Martin O'Neill any day now and the rumours are that MON will offer Luke Moore + £5m for Hutton.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Tottenham have had a £8m bid (that would rise to £9m) practically accepted by Rangers

No practically about it, Walter Smith admitted they'd accepted the bid.

They are definitely willing to sell though, wasn't aware Smith wanted Moore.

Is this Hutton lad any good? is he an attacking FB or solid or what?, i think Olof is doing a Decent job at RB and as much as we need more players maybe MON is better off waiting until the summer to get a really good RB, besides if Man. Utd. are in for him he's not going to come to Villa to play under an ex Celtic manager!

Is this Hutton lad any good? is he an attacking FB or solid or what?, i think Olof is doing a Decent job at RB and as much as we need more players maybe MON is better off waiting until the summer to get a really good RB, besides if Man. Utd. are in for him he's not going to come to Villa to play under an ex Celtic manager!

I've watched very little Scottish football, but what I've seen has been positive. Likes to get forward, but he can put a tackle in as well.

villa v blackburn is on live on some foreign channel there be a few in the living room pub on cathal brugha street on sat if any villains are free. if you want to watch another villa win and have a few pints with fellow villa fans.

do setanta not have it?

• Advertisement

Nope next games on Setanta are 2nd Feb Spurs vs Man Utd 2nd Feb Liverpool vs Sunderland

check out the www.avie.aceboard.com website and go under the heading villa v blackburn and there is a post with all the foreign channnels that are showing the villa match. we got a text form the manager of gleesons in irishtown that they were showing the match but last time we got there they switched matchs so we wont be going there again. frazers or the living room also the cat and cage or oneills near tolka park shoud have it. there should be a few villains in the living room behind frazers. for bout 2,.30 onwards. hope the villains be going to top 4 for the week anyway.

check this out for live villa games in the coming months. there is delayed action on sky sports at 10 pm i aint waiting for that. when i cnan watch it in town at 3. hope it comes in usefull for the matchs ahead.

http://liveonsat.com/foot_english_all.php?start_dd=24&start_mm=01&start_yyyy=2008&end_dd=08&end_mm=03&end_yyyy=2008

supposidly we turned down another bid for Cahill of around 4million, from Bolton this time

Can't understand why Cahill is so eager to leave Villa, esp to join the likes of Bolton or them from St Andrew's. He hasn't been getting his game, fair enough, but he's at a decent club with great ambition and under a great manager who quite obviously goes for young, British players which is exactly what Cahill is.
    It looks certain Mellberg is off, so that leaves Laursen/Davies/Knight. If Cahill really thinks he cannot make the Top 2 of that list well then he must have no ambition and I'd have no bother about letting him leave. For all his fans though, I don't see any of the Top 4 sniffing around so he could be another of our own that we overrate because of one spectacular bicycle kick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I shudder to think what we'll do for the rest of the season if Olof Mellberg "isn't in the right frame of mind" to play right back, verry worrying. Though this could just be a tactic by MON to get Mellberg to p*** or get off the pot regarding his future.

Can't understand why Cahill is so eager to leave Villa, esp to join the likes of Bolton or them from St Andrew's. He hasn't been getting his game, fair enough, but he's at a decent club with great ambition and under a great manager who quite obviously goes for young, British players which is exactly what Cahill is.
    It looks certain Mellberg is off, so that leaves Laursen/Davies/Knight. If Cahill really thinks he cannot make the Top 2 of that list well then he must have no ambition and I'd have no bother about letting him leave. For all his fans though, I don't see any of the Top 4 sniffing around so he could be another of our own that we overrate because of one spectacular bicycle kick...

Dunno if Cahill is eager to leave but he does have many people interested in taking him away. He has impressed on loan and isnt in Villas first team plans for this year it seems. Meanwhile Villa have signed two CB's this year and extended anothers contract this has lead to people thinking they might be able to get him fro us. However Bolton and Birmingham have already failed with a £4m bid and i think people will continue to fail will similar bids unless Cahill actually asks to leave a la Davis.

Supposedly MON today has confirmed that Juventus have made an offer to take Mellberg during the January transfer window.

I can only imagine that if it is accepted then a RB is immediately on his way.

I just read about that Juventus bid too, apparently they offered us £500K to take Mellberg before the transfer window closes. I would tell them where to shove it because he will be going there in the summer regardless! Anyway if Villa are to finish in the top 6 (with an outside chance of finishing 4th) then we will need to have all of our key players available. If our stand-in rightback leaves and we are forced to play Craig Gardner then we could find ourselves in some trouble, unless of course we sign a rightback, but then again how long have we been waiting for that to happen :rolleyes:

Btw what was all this talk about keeping our 'wee' squad together at the start of the transfer window? A few weeks later and more players seem to be on their way out then one their way in. The mind truly boggles!

• Advertisement

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/sat26.1/Villa_Blackburn.html

last 40mins now for anyone who wants to catch it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement