Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harewood's on, we are not playing well at all at all.

Harewood looking up for it again can't question his desire!

1 nil down FFS we are playing crap, and Blackburn can defend set pieces so we don't look like scoring. If this form remains we'll be lucky to stay in top 8. Shocking shocking stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

feck

We'r so predictable, to beat Villa stop Young crossing, defend deep to stop Gabby running in behind and defend set pieces by attacking the ball and we'r done.

MON had better sign some decent players soon.

• Advertisement

Young get in 1-1

1-1 Young Free kick class, pure class now start ****ing playing in open play.

Villain wrote: »
    We'r so predictable, to beat Villa stop Young crossing, defend deep to stop Gabby running in behind and defend set pieces by attacking the ball and we'r done.

MON had better sign some decent players soon.

despite the goal this is all true, we need to sign someone to take the pressure off young and Gabby and show we hve a plan B

All over 1-1 poor poor display MON had better get some players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Rubbish performance at the weekend :mad: Villa are looking very predictable and are worryingly dropping too many points to their closest rivals. We really need to be putting distance between ourselves and the teams behind us but it's not going to happen if we continue to drop points and keeping our rivals in the chase. With trips to Everton & Portsmouth to come (along with the top two) that top four finish is looking more and more like a dream then anything else. Fingers crossed for a top 6 finish!

In transfer news it's (like always) bewilderment more then joy.

According to The Daily Mail (& a few other media sources) Bolton have upped their offer for Gary Cahill from £4m to £5m. So with MON possibly reveling that Mellberg is off to Juventus later today he could also be telling the media about Cahill's departure too? The Daily Mail also revealed that Rangers right-back Alan Hutton arrived in London last night to hold talks with Tottenham. Didn't MON reveal that he was taking 'a breather' yesterday? Good job :rolleyes:

The only player that Villa are actually linked to in the media is 23 year old USA goalkeeper Brad Guzman. Great, no right-back at the club but we potentially could have four goalkeepers :confused: What the hell is going on! This is actually worrying news. Scott Carson is still a Liverpool player and if Rafa Benitez walks then Carson would probably fancy his chances playing under a news boss at Anfield. MON must be thinking along the same lines and that is why he is looking at alternative goalkeeping options.

• Advertisement

Yes Raekwon, Aston predictable Villa will be our new name in short, its very hard to take any positives from our last two games, we got a point from both but played awful and probably deserved to lose.

The fact we don't have a RB is getting beyond stupid, Bardsley signed for Sunderland for under £2 million surely even as cover we should have got him, he wasn't the best player when he was with us but he's better than nothing.

I still have faith that MON will have a few signings in before the 31st but if he doesn't I think he may well see a Euro spot disappear which won't help in trying to get players in during the summer.

At least Mellberg is staying for the rest of the season.
    Olof Mellberg will be staying at Villa Park until the end of the season.

But the Swedish defender will join Italian giants Juventus on July 1, after signing a pre-contract agreement with the Turin side.

Weekend reports had suggested that Mellberg would be heading for Italy in the January transfer window. But the Villa Park favourite will stay in the Premier League until the end of the 2007-08 season as Martin O'Neill's men look to secure European football.

That's the right-back situation sorted out for another few months then :rolleyes: Did a right-sider player bully MON is school or something because all Villa really need is a right-back and right sided midfielder and we would be in pretty decent shape. It's not much of a puzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Far too much flack is being thrown at MON here in my opinion regarding signings, and I really don’t think that (a) this is all his doing and (b) it’s all that much of a bad thing.

Randy Lerner took over the Cleveland Browns in 2002, and the team only posted their first winning season (narrowly missing the playoffs) in 2007, after a 5-year strengthening period. Only now are analysts are waking up to their potential as a Superbowl-reaching team.

But much like what appears to be happening at Villa at the moment, the Browns acquired players over time, building them up gradually to the strength they are at now. Crennel was signed as Head Coach in 2005, aswell as Edwards and Anderson. 2006 saw McGinest, Washington and Jurevicius come on board, before Quinn, Lewis and McKinney signed in 2007.

Now you may be able to attribute this slow building process the nature of the NFL administrative frame-work prohibiting mass-purchasing of players at any given time, but Crennel, a first time head-coach, was finding his feet in the big leagues and I think Lerner supported this learning curve, while also providing a rationalised steady treacle of investment, rather than a lump-sum splash-bonanza.

This guy, you have to remember, is a very wealthy man as a result of his speciality in arbitrage. He, therefore, doesn't seem to mind building up on small returns over time, not risking anything too colossal, and not minding waiting for his return to flourish – once it’s a guarantee.

So anyone who is pissed off that Villa aren’t investing in the players that will see Villa hold onto a top 4 or top 6 spot this year needs to take a step back and realise that Lerner’s model isn’t necessarily structured to provide instant return, but appears to be a means of long-term stability and success.

This strategy also makes sure Lerner doesn’t make too many headlines for any of the wrong reasons; the more money you spend at any one time, the more you pay per player in the long run and the more decisions must be justified if players flop. Instead they appear to be hedging their bets, employing stealthy signings of hungry young home-talent, acquired over time on a gradual pathway towards (I hope) long-term success.

Now, that being said we really need a right-back and right-winger… Petrov is balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Petrov is balls.
    And you were doing so well up until this. Stan's no right winger, not his fault, but he's been playing very well lately.
    Otherwise good points about Lerner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Savman wrote: »
    And you were doing so well up until this. Stan's no right winger, not his fault, but he's been playing very well lately.
    Otherwise good points about Lerner.
    +1 You were doing so well! Happy with the amount of money received for Cahill, although sad to see him leave. Would like to get 3m for moore, but that looks unlikely - i still think if he found the confidence he'd be a "top top player" ;)

If Lukey had 10% of the attitude Harewood has, he'd be a super player. The difference is one plays below himself, the other plays above himself. Not sure about flogging Cahill but at that price we'd be mad not to sell a player who hasn't really got a look in this season.
    So that's the outbounds covered.
    Eh, what about players coming the opposite direction Martin? :eek:

One big flaw with that analogy neil one which I have stated in the past btw, it is much easier to build a team when you attract quality players however you can't attract qulaity players until you can offer them European football, so buying one or two players now may not be in the long term plan but getting a Uefa spot this year will help that plan imo, oh and Petrov isn't cut out for the PL in Midfield be it in the centre or wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Eh, what about players coming the opposite direction Martin? :eek:
    I'm available on a free, for €1k p/week. 27 yrs old, would need some physio and then a fitness regime... but then i'd be like an irish ronaldo... lol... ok maybe more of a balaban! :D

What about walcott on loan?

I'd take Walcott in a heartbeat, but it'd never happen and even if it did I can't see it ever becoming permanent so hardly worth it tbh.

Well apologies to any Petrov fans but I stand by my statement - he has been at Villa for a season and a half now and has done absolutely nothing to impress me. We are also in critical need for both a right winger and back.

Villain, I accept your point that European football attracts better calibre players obviously. My concerns though are with giving a manager too much money, in too large portions, as it creates an expectency for return on this money. Spend big in one go, it's a lot easier for the media to start pointing fingers once you don't achieve instant success, pressure mounts on the manager from stupid fans and the whole thing could spiral out of control (O.K., slight Devil's advocate there ;)). But invest slowly and systematically over time, the pressure is off to win the league overnight.

I think O'Neill should stick to his formula of signing the types of players that he is signing, and eventually we will grow from strength to strength, just like the Cleveland Browns did - hopefully with the next signings being a right-back and winger, and very very soon!

• Advertisement

I think that Villa fans are realistic and we know that MON is not going to break the bank to get in a few world class signings, that is just not his style and it will hopefully pay dividends in the long run when we have a young hungry squad who work for one another. But the fact of the matter is that if you are trying to build a team that can compete with the very best in the division then you need to have a good nucleus of a squad, where ever position has adequate cover. Villa simply don't have this and that is why some fans are questioning the logic behind some decisions that have been made, especially since we are in touching distance for a European place. It would be a shame to throw it all away and finish midtable because we were weak in certain areas but neglected to strengthen.

The bottom line is, everybody knows that Villa have a small squad (it's the worst kept secret in the Premiership!) yet we are selling off players from this small squad and not replacing them properly. Okay, Gary Cahill is going to Bolton for £5m, which is a good deal but if you compare it to Zat Knight's £4m fee it kind of puts it into perspective. Cahill is a 22 year old prospect who could be an England international someday, Knight is a 28 year old backup player who will probably go on a free transfer in a few seasons. I just don’t see how that kind of deal fits into any sort of 5 year plan.

At present all we need to do is keep hold of the players that we have a get in players that will strengthen our weak areas, most notably the whole right side of the team. Stevie Wonder could see that so why can’t MON?

Raekwon wrote: »
    Stevie Wonder could see that so why can’t MON?
    Maybe because there are only 4 teams ahead of us in the table?

I'm not saying we don't need players in, but it's obviously not as bad as people seem to be making out. Somehow, against all odds, MON has a team nobody fancied in 5th place so you have to just let him do his own thing. We are a stronger side now than before, we just jumped from relegation fodder to UEFA cup contenders. The next step is the Top 4, but it's far too soon to be spending big to try keep up with the big boys. 4th-7th is the aim, if this squad can do it, great. If not, O'Neill knows the backlash he can expect. He ain't a dum dum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Savman you were at the game werent you? Was Gabriel Agbonlahor as poor as mentioned across the media and Villa websites. The common suggestion is that he needs a rest but he just had 2 games in a week not another until February, and there is nothing on the calender but PL games and potential England appearances so a break and missing games is surely a ridiculous suggestion?

It was annoying that Villa could only get a draw but its unfair to compare with the 4-0 win at Ewood Park and expecting a similar result, that game was way tighter then the scoreline due to a dodgy penalty and sending off, it was always going to be tight, i think what Villa need is what every other team needs, a 20 goal a season striker! maybe someone like Defoe.....i dream on.........although i'd love it if we could get Roque Santa Cruz, whats he doing at Blackburn?

I know what you mean Savman but I don't want or expect MON to spend big, all he needs is a right-back and a right-midfielder and hopefully the £5m that we get from Bolton for Cahill will go towards signing these players.

At this present moment in time Villa are a couple of injuries away from an implosion, we simply need to strengthen our weak areas. I do have faith in MON and I'm sure he will have a couple of last minute signings sitting in front of the media come Friday morning when the window is closed. I just don't want to reflect back on the season in May and say: "What if"?

The problem Savman imo is our form and lack of depth to cover injuries and suspensions. We have been very poor in the last 2 games with Harewood being the only positive and thats a very small positive. The fact is we are 5th but have played more games than the others 2 more than Liverpool so if teams around us start winning games and we get 1 or 2 injuries to major players we could very well slip back to 10th and that's what people will remember in the summer when we are trying to sign players, they won't remember that we were 5th in January with the smallest squad.

I'm all for the 5 year plan and I'd much rather finish 6th or 7th than splash the cash and finish 4th only to fall back down the table next season because the players bought in don't work into MON's long term plans, however I don't think we will get 6th or 7th unless we get cover in for our big players 47% of goals from set pieces is a great thing when your winning games by scoring set pieces and winning games by 2 or 3 goals but scoring from set pieces to get a point at home against Blackburn is more desperation and luck than anything else.

However I see this is page 99 of this thread and I have to say that since I started this thread when Randy took over, Aston Villa as a club has increased greatly and I do believe we have one of the best managers in the league who will build a team to challenge the top 4 in the coming years so well done to everyone who has contributed to this thread to make it 100 pages long.

UP THE VILLA

scoring from set pieces to get a point at home against Blackburn is more desperation and luck than anything else.
    Whoah. There was nothing lucky about Ashley's free kick, feckin peach. And Scarewood hit the bar from a Young delivery too IIRC. But I concede it coulda been a whole lot worse.
    Savman you were at the game werent you?
    Negative boss, was at Reading coupla weeks ago and had tix for the Blackburn game before they rescheduled. Wanted to head over to the Arsenal game away but already sold out. :rolleyes:

I have to say I find it strange nobody's getting on Davies back considering he was primarily at fault for the Blackburn goal, similarly Laursen had a moment of madness at Anfield and Crouch scored at the death. With all due respect, when Zat Knight made some howler's against ManU people were calling for his head on a plate? Doesn't make sense.

Bar defensive errors by Laursen and Davies we could have nicked 6pts in the last 2 games (in theory). I'm not levelling undue criticisms at those players, just highlighting that I still think Knight was unfairly scapegoated for similar errors and I don't agree with the selective criticism. If we're gonna slate, might as well slate them all equally?

Young's free kick was good, but Friedel was caught flat footed and should have saved it from there really, my problem is we are relying on set pieces too much and now that people are talking about the stats from etc I'm sure every team will be practising set pieces for the week before they play Villa. I mean relying on our Centre back to score goals while hoping for a Euro spot is a bit crazy.

I watched the entire Villa game on the net and Gabby wasn't at the races looked tired tbh.

Why don't we keep all transfer related issues on ice so, until Feb 1st? ;)

despite the fact that, that may be a tongue in cheek comment it might not b a bad idea considering MON supposed reutation for last minute dealing and how he still with only 3days after today to go keeps saying how small our squad is and that it needs reinforcing.

obviously i dont mean dont talk about transfers but i would hope that Feb 1st is the next time (if at all) i hear people criticising MON for not bringing people in. We know, He knows, everyone knows we need new blood but not till the windows closed will MON have failed/succeeded in bringing it in.

• Advertisement

Motion seconded.

Motion passed?

I propose a counter motion that we keep them on ice until the end of the season because if we don't sign a few players by Saturday and end up 10th it will be a mad house here.

Young's free kick was good, but Friedel was caught flat footed and should have saved it from there really, my problem is we are relying on set pieces too much and now that people are talking about the stats from etc I'm sure every team will be practising set pieces for the week before they play Villa. I mean relying on our Centre back to score goals while hoping for a Euro spot is a bit crazy.

I watched the entire Villa game on the net and Gabby wasn't at the races looked tired tbh.
    C'mon give Ashley some credit, Friedel is a decent keeper got done by a moment of brilliance. As for relying on Laursen, is it a bad thing now that our Defenders chip in with goals? I'm not understanding you here, is that actually a criticism?!?!

Gabby, no idea what he's at lately, "tired" is not accurate, he's a young fit footballer and still our top scorer. That's not to say he could do with a rest, that could pay dividends esp with Scarewood ready to spill blood to get into the side. Gabby as an impact sub, now that's where we wanna be. Tearing tired Defenders apart with fresh legs that also contain serious pace, one day...

Oh it was good strike by Ashley but I think the Keeper made a guess and guessed wrong.

I'm not critising Laursen for scoring, I'm critising the fact we are RELYING on him to score, our strikers need to step up and score the goals and if Laursen or Davies get one thats a bonus not the other way round.

I think Gabby suffers when teams defend deep like Blackburn, he is relying on his pace too much but he's still learning the game.

MON was at the Leicester and Palace game tonight, must be signing Clinton Morrison lol :D Anyone know who he might have been looking at?

weve been linked to Stearman the leicster RB before

Umm reports sound decent right or left back, played for the England Under 21's watching him 3 days before the windows closes is a bit tight.

• Advertisement

MON was at the Leicester and Palace game tonight, must be signing Clinton Morrison lol :D
    Even joking about Aston Villa signing Clinton Morrison should be punishable by a long and extremely painful death.

Hey we signed Harewood!!! anything is possible

Hey we signed Harewood!!! anything is possible
    Touche.

I have to say I find it strange nobody's getting on Davies back considering he was primarily at fault for the Blackburn goal, similarly Laursen had a moment of madness at Anfield and Crouch scored at the death. With all due respect, when Zat Knight made some howler's against ManU people were calling for his head on a plate? Doesn't make sense.

Bar defensive errors by Laursen and Davies we could have nicked 6pts in the last 2 games (in theory). I'm not levelling undue criticisms at those players, just highlighting that I still think Knight was unfairly scapegoated for similar errors and I don't agree with the selective criticism. If we're gonna slate, might as well slate them all equally?

Okay I'll go for the bate ;)

Why should anybody get on Martin Laursen's back about his mistake against Liverpool? He miss timed his jump and the ball flew over his head and took a lucky bounce off Jamie Carrigher's shin and into Peter Crouch's path. Apart from that he has been Villa's player of the season without a shadow of a doubt. As for Davis, he had a nightmare in the League Cup defeat to Leicester but was man enough to admit that he had a stinker when ironicly it was his defensive partner who was at fault for their goal, letting DJ Campbell slip the ball between his legs to setup the strike. But in fairness Knight did admit in an interview that he has trouble concentrating for the full 90 minutes, which I'm sure that you will agree that is an admirable trait for a centre half :p

I could go on all night about Zat Knight's mistakes this season but I won't because we have had this discussion before and you know where I stand on the matter. But trying to turn the tables and blame Laursen & Davis for too shocking team preformances is pretty lame IMO.

I could go on all night about Zat Knight's mistakes this season but I won't because we have had this discussion before and you know where I stand on the matter.
    Yup, I don't disagree I just think you've been unneccesarily harsh. The way I see it, 10 "ok" games, + a few great games + a coupla bad games does not warrant a player getting kicked to the kerb. That was my only point, ever.
    But trying to turn the tables and blame Laursen & Davis for too shocking team preformances is pretty lame IMO.
    Aaaaargh! :mad:
    Are we talking about the same player?! Davis back from Fulham is he? Or Davies perhaps? Getting players names wrong is lame.

Match point.

• Advertisement

Yup, I don't disagree I just think you've been unneccesarily harsh. The way I see it, 10 "ok" games, + a few great games + a coupla bad games does not warrant a player getting kicked to the kerb. That was my only point, ever.

Knight had 1 great game (vs. Chelsea) and Laursen carried his ass through the rest of the season until his sending off against (ironicly!) Chelsea put him in his rightful positon, on the bench. (You are not his agent by any chance are you?)

Savman wrote:
    Aaaaargh! :mad:
    Are we talking about the same player?! Davis back from Fulham is he? Or Davies perhaps? Getting players names wrong is lame.

Match point.

Wow that was petty! :eek:

You are right though, I thought that it was Davis and not Davies that was playing centre half against Leicester, maybe that is why we lost??? :rolleyes:

Knight had 1 great game (vs. Chelsea) and Laursen carried his ass through the rest of the season until his sending off against (ironicly!) Chelsea put him in his rightful positon, on the bench. (You are not his agent by any chance are you?)
    Listen roysh, all I'm sayin is that the Knight who has been playing for Villa is not the same guy who was at Fulham. He never had a monster like Laursen beside him so his weaknesses were exposed. He also was never really under a manager like MON. I'd say he's probably learned more this season than ever before playing under a great and alongside a great. I'll agree with you that his place seemed destined to be on the bench but as a stop gap until Curtis got his **** together, I just cannot get on his case.

You're getting me all wrong, I'm not Knight's biggest fan and can see why people worry about him, he's not top drawer by any means. But he's only ever done his best for Villa which is all anyone can ask, a bit like Harewood in the sense that he was doomed from the start because in all reality he's a signing the fans did not want. After the first Chelsea game, he did well, when I say "well" I really mean he did "well considering he's Zat Knight". He doesn't compare to Laursen but not many do. Besides he seems like a great squad player, waiting for his chance and I'm sure he can do a job if and when the time comes. Admittedly it's ironic a harsh sending off has been the end of his first team run but his loss is Davies' gain and he's taken the chance with both hands. Still a bit of work to do but overall looking very assured.
    Wow that was petty! :eek:

You are right though, I thought that it was Davis and not Davies that was playing centre half against Leicester, maybe that is why we lost??? :rolleyes:
    Oh come one, do you not think this whole thread is a bit humour-less? I mean there's no banter at all, far too serious a discussion. I don't enjoy these discussions as much as I do other Villa dedicated sites tbh.

This is the only place I've seen MON be called a "halfwit" and still be allowed continue to post in peace. :eek:

I'll agree to disagree on the Knight issue because we'll be going round in circles on that one, it's up to Curtis now, it's his to lose.

never heard it before tonight (on a thread about MON scouting at tonights championship game) but apparently weve also been linked to palaces John Bostock the really highly rated 16yr old CM

Are you on the ol' sauce tonight Savman? ;) You seem to be alot more mellow then usual........you even (in a round about way) agreed with me that Knight is infact a second rate player that has no business pulling on the famous claret & blue shirt (unless it's for West Ham or more fittingly Burnley). I must say I'm alittle bit gobsmacked :p
    Savman wrote:
    Oh come one, do you not think this whole thread is a bit humour-less? I mean there's no banter at all, far too serious a discussion. I don't enjoy these discussions as much as I do other Villa dedicated sites tbh

This is the only place I've seen MON be called a "halfwit" and still be allowed continue to post in peace. :eek:

I think this thread is actually pretty decent compared to some of the other Villa dedicated sites, at least here you can (well most of the time) have an intelligent discussion without some 16 year old butting in using text speak slating MON and wanting us to sign the likes of Rooney & Kaka with all of our millions :rolleyes: As for the 'halfwit' comment, I remember a few people putting that person in his place, but if you think that is bad then *check out forums like the offical Villa forum, Villablog & VitalVilla you will see way worse comments (*btw I'm sure you do anyway).
    Savman wrote:
    I'll agree to disagree on the Knight issue because we'll be going round in circles on that one, it's up to Curtis now, it's his to lose.

Sounds good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tennner says we sign 1 championship player, one nobody and 1 fringe premiership player on loan on thursday night

Hmmmmm... so that's John Bostock... An unheard of Brazilian right back (who is amazing) and Jermain Defoe? Suits me!

No panic buys for Villa chief
    Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill will refuse to make any panic buys in the final 72 hours of the January transfer window.

O'Neill has still to make a signing this month even though he has the smallest squad in the Premier League.

He has been linked with a host of players, including Jermain Defoe and Henrik Larsson, as Villa look to step up their bid for a European spot by bringing in new blood.

But O'Neill will not sign anyone permanently just for the sake of increasing numbers and would rather take people on loan as a short-term remedy.

He said: "We wouldn't be the only team looking to make moves. Whether it becomes an eventful last three days or not, is really in the lap of the gods. It genuinely is.

"It is a difficult time. Premiership sides are looking to push on and want to supplement their squads. I hear Liverpool say that they want to push on and add players to their team.

"We are, in terms of numbers, a little bit short. What we want to try to do is safeguard the situation.

"If you could tell me that we could go through the whole season without injury, now that we are down to one game a week, then fine, but you could lose three players in a week.

"It is a tough old time but I am not asking for an ounce of sympathy because it is a tough old time for all the Premier sides."

O'Neill added: "Will I sign no-one at all? "Anything is possible. We are looking every single day. New names are thrust upon us every day.

"But what I don't want, generally speaking, are new names that I don't know an awful lot about - unless they are short-term affairs, players in on loan where there is really no risk.

"Loans can supplement the squad, boys who have got a wee bit of quality."

O'Neill continues to be linked with a £2.2million move for 23-year-old keeper Brad Guzan, who plays for MLS side Chivas and has been on trial at Celtic

Sounds to me like a loan or two maybe, you know we wouldn't have to talk about panic buys if he didn't leave it to 3 days before the window closes.

we can only get one more in on loan this season tho cant we?

Nwe wouldn't have to talk about panic buys if he didn't leave it to 3 days before the window closes.

sure this is his 4th transfer window and every single one of them were the same (granted he took over pretty late in august in his first season so we can disregard that in the interest of fairness)

MON is a notorious last minute shopper so I think there is still time to get in a few players in between now and midnight Thursday.

One player that it seems he won't be getting is Rangers rightback Alan Hutton who is back in London finalizing his move to Tottenham. Pity.

Btw are the rumors that Villa made a last ditch bid to hijack the Johnathon Woodgate switch to Tottenham yesterday true? A few of the papers mentioned it today but I seriously doubt MON would go for a 28 year old centreback with a bad injury record for £8m, although..........;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement