Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't know about routledge going straight in, more of an impact sub for a while, hard to see him starting with Maloney on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nah he'll go in and play on the right, petrov will be benched and maloney will be wondering why he bothered

I really think you might be overstating routledge's ability at the moment plus he has very little premiership experience, he might be one for the future but not a major player this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Villain wrote: »
    I really think you might be overstating routledge's ability at the moment plus he has very little premiership experience, he might be one for the future but not a major player this season.

in fairness he does have nearly one hundred PL games for Palace, Spurs and Fulham, i think his problem is more he hasnt played much this season, understandable seeing as he was up against Aaron Lennon.

From what ive seen of him he is lightning fast but his final ball leaves a bit to be desired, but thats what MON is for to knock that out of him!a good signing if not the Superstar-for-£25 million that a lot of the Villa fans on the web seem to be hoping for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

It's on the official site now. We paid £1.25m but he only signed a one & a half year contract which I find strangely short for a 23 year old.

im sure theres an option there

the kids won 4-0 in the youth cup btw

Results have went well for Villa tonight with everyone around us playing:

Derby County 1-1 Man City
    Everton 0-0 Spurs
    West Ham Utd 1-0 Liverpool
    Man Utd 2-0 Portsmouth

if only we had beaten Blackburn at the weekend!

Roll on Fulham, has to be 3 points if Villa want to stay in the chase.

Sure did, we are lucky teams around us are dropping points

Routledge to score screamer of a winner when he comes off the bench on saturday against his former club!

Also look at the other fixtures:

Man City V Arsenal
    Portsmouth V Chelsea
    Blackburn Rovers V Everton
    Liverpool V Sunderland
    Fulham V Villa

Barring Liverpool, theres a lot of dropped points to be had amongst Villas rivals, come Sunday 6pm things could be looking good......

• Advertisement

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1765_3095343,00.html Cahill done deal, good money at 5 million but sad to see him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

We better sign someone for more than that tomorrow now

big signing coming tomorrow apparently

I'll belive it when I see it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

good luck to Gary. good price, good prospect now fingers crossed we bring in another signing or two tommorow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Source about the big new signing?

back a page

its tentative at best lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Helix wrote: »
    back a page

its tentative at best lol

Sorry, but I`ve read far too many `my sister`s dog`s uncle is a cleaner at villa park and he says` stories to believe anything like that. Interesting read, but probably complete BS.

Anyhoo, good results in the midweek games, how we hung on to fifth I don`t know! We have to beat Fulham.

And I don`t think Routledge is a bad signing. Good squad player, which I assume is what MON intented. Will do a job in the short term.

id have agreed if he hadnt nailed the pompey signing of the argie, coz that wasnt in the media anywhere

that was definite inside information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is it just me or do Villa have too many of the same type of player now?

Routledge, Young, Moore, Agbonlahor. Can they all get in the same team or is Moore on his way out?

wouldnt be surprised to see moore off to rangers today now that theyve got the few bob from the hutton deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Xavi6 wrote: »

Routledge, Young, Moore, Agbonlahor. Can they all get in the same team or is Moore on his way out?
    Not really a problem, Moore will be gone to the highest bidder by the Summer.
    Routledge gives us balance on the right side where we've lack any proper winger. Young is both footed and usually plays left side. Agbonlahor is an out and out striker these days, only deployed right wing when O'Neill sees fit.

So this Routledge signing makes a lot of sense tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Xavi6 wrote: »

Routledge, Young, Moore, Agbonlahor....

There's just too easy a racial insinuation to be interpreted from that :p

But I think 1.25m for Routledge is a steal. Decent potential, handy squad player, will loosen up the double coverage on Young when he plays and for 250k less than Eric Djemba-djemba!

Newcastle had a bid for Barnes refused and said they won't up it, but speculation they may, Villa had better not let him go somewhere else without at least trying to sign him

Villain wrote: »
    Newcastle had a bid for Barnes refused and said they won't up it, but speculation they may, Villa had better not let him go somewhere else without at least trying to sign him
    Even if O'Neill doesn't want him? We should just sign him to stop him moving elsewhere? Hmmm...

• Advertisement

Well I think he has the ability to a top player and I wouldn't link to see any of our rivals sign him without us trying, but obviously if MON doesn't rate him good enough to splash the cash then it won't happen no matter how much I want it to happen, just giving my opinion.

Routledge to score screamer of a winner when he comes off the bench on saturday against his former club!

Also look at the other fixtures:

Man City V Arsenal
    Portsmouth V Chelsea
    Blackburn Rovers V Everton
    Liverpool V Sunderland
    Fulham V Villa

Barring Liverpool, theres a lot of dropped points to be had amongst Villas rivals, come Sunday 6pm things could be looking good......

i have a feeling sunderland might well nick a point v pool

According to SSN Man City have made a move for Benjani Mwaruwari and the rumors are that Harry Redknapp has lined up Jermain Defoe to be his replacement. Sounds like media b.s. but if Defoe would be willing to move then surely Villa would have a great chance of signing him ahead of Pompy?

I dunno I've a feeling Defoe would rather Dirty 'Arry fussing over him than MON's no nonsense approach. As much as I'd love him at the Villa, seems to be less and less likely as time goes on.

Your probably spot on there. Btw the Defoe to Pompy move looks the most likely especially now that Setanta Sports & Eurosport have reviled that Benjani is having a medical at Tottenham and not Man City. Could be a straight swap.

• Advertisement

Benjani to Spuds? Didn't see that coming at all. Although WHL to Fratton is not exactly ambitious from Defoe...

Well SSN are now insisting that Benjami is infact at the Man City training ground for a medical, it's getting confusing, at this rate he could well wind up at Villa Park :D

As for Defoe, I don't think the lad has any real ambition. As long as he keeps getting his big fat pay cheque each week and lives in close proximity to his favorite London nite spots then he will be a happy camper.

Looks like Gabby made the full England squad which is some going. I should be happy, but they're feckers for scapegoating someone if the team doesn't perform. Carson hasn't fully regained confidence since that blunder.
    I hope Gabby gets a cameo for 20mins no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Savman wrote: »
    Looks like Gabby made the full England squad which is some going. I should be happy, but they're feckers for scapegoating someone if the team doesn't perform. Carson hasn't fully regained confidence since that blunder.
    I hope Gabby gets a cameo for 20mins no more.

Source please ? According to the Beeb the squad won't be announced till 3.30 p.m.

V1llianous wrote: »
    Source please ? According to the Beeb the squad won't be announced till 3.30 p.m.
    Neither him nor Young were included in the U21 squad just announced on SSN. Considering even Luke Moore & Craig Gardner got called up to the U21, I think it's safe to assume Gabby's in the full squad ;)

Villa have failed to get a work perit for Guzan (US Goalie) according to Sky Sports.

have to assume Gabby and Ashley are in the full england squad

Curtis Davies named in the english preliminary squad

5 Villa players named in full England Squad, alongside Davies there's Carson, Gabby, Young and Barry.

Take note, Jermaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Future looks good for you lot, heart of the team being English and all (except maybe Davies?) deserving of a call up.

now if you can just get in a few players to make up the numbers. oh, i reckon routledge os a very decent buy at the price you paid, he'll be a handy squad player (possibly first team at the moment).

Davies a decent player, this call up will do wonders for his confidence. He's had to wait a long time for his chance as reserve to one Zat Knight.

• Advertisement

i have a feeling sunderland might well nick a point v pool

I thought that too, then read Sunderland havent got a single point on the road in the PL this season, stranger things have happened!

As for Defoe his move to Portsmouth is strange? im guessing Harry and lots of cash have much to do with it as already said, maybe MON did talk to him but realised with his stupid haircut and his celeb lifestyle that he was just more hassle then its worth? (hasnt Defoes otherhalf being with Teddy Sheringham and Darren Bent? what a Spurs Slut!:p)

No Brad Guzan either because of work permit issues.

Fairplay to Davies, hope Capello was looking the otherway when he let Roque Santa Cruz push him away lightly to score last Saturday!

looks like theres a chance of chimbonda on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Villa in talks to take Chimbonda on loan with view to permanent deal in the summer according to cousin in Birmingham - very reliable source.

and according to the dude in the know on SSN. thought we were only allowed two domestic loans though, or is Davies now an official Villan and not on loan till he signs in the Summer?

wynters wrote: »
    Villa in talks to take Chimbonda on loan with view to permanent deal in the summer according to cousin in Birmingham - very reliable source.

Is your cousin Sky Sports News?:D

Defoe is a fool for going to Pompey IMHO. Just smacks of a real lazy move to get first team footy at a lesser club, good luck to him as far as I'm concerned. Yes I'm a little bitter about the whole thing, stoopid footballers.

Oh btw our old boy Steve Davis gone to Rangers on loan for the season, so I think we can lay off any criticising MON for getting rid of the deadwood eh? Don't think anyone of them went onto better things, in fact most seem to have vanished into obscurity...or should that be mediocrity...

Savman wrote: »
    Defoe is a fool for going to Pompey IMHO

i dont think so

he just wants to play under harry again

i dont think so

he just wants to play under harry again
    If we're speculating then I reckon he just wants first team football or guarantees of it at least. Ah pfft to the whole affair. I hate transfer deadline day.:(

sure theres still 71 minutes left

i bet mon hasnt even started making enquiries yet

plenty of time

• Advertisement

Unless he has a rabbit up his sleeve....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement