Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

especially when you consider it will be 7 on the subs bench next season. if that was the case now it would be almost our entire squad needed each match day.

I only found out about that when I read your other thread on the subject. If this rule gets enforced then MON would seriously need to get the finger out. Maybe Mr. Lerner would introduce a little game based on 'Super Market Sweep' where MON has 3 months to get as many quality players as possible and he could win a prize if he meets his target (maybe the prize could be a payrise and a contract extension?). He is the only bloke I know who feels guilty about spending other peoples money :D

MON on James Milner from the official site:
    "We were very disappointed to miss out on him on transfer deadline day in August 2006. When I came to Villa I watched a lot of DVDs from the previous season when he was on loan. I thought he did exceptionally well when he was here and he was on our doorstep ready to sign. It would have been great but Freddy Shepherd called him back again. He's gone on to prove his worth for Newcastle. He's one of a number of players who you would admire in the Newcastle squad."

Yet no bid for him in January 07, Summer 07 or January 08. I know he is only mentioning it because we play Newcastle tomorrow but I don't understand why MON insists on flapping his gums after the transfer window has closed about potential signings when during the window he is totally silent and extremely inactive. The man is a complete mystery :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't know, just because it didn't hit the press doesn't mean we didn't bid for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Read that article earlier on the OS, quite strange but methinks it's clear Milner is quite possibly a long-term target of MON for that right side.

Villain wrote: »
    I don't know, just because it didn't hit the press doesn't mean we didn't bid for him.
    True, he did say the players he went after were "unavailable".:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Truth is chaps Milner aint good enough for Villa anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Tomthepost wrote: »

dunno about that

hes a class act

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Can't say I agree, in fairness he's still shone in a rubbish Newcastle side and before that he shone in a brutal Villa side. I'd say Keegan's reign will be a bit more friendly to players like Milner. He's a bit of a Gareth Barry in the sense that he's not particularly amazing at any one thing, but scores a solid 7/10 right across the board. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'd say you stick him in a decent team and you'll see the best of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Id also be more than happy if Milner became a Villa player. As Savman says he has always shone at Newcastle and its not as if Newcastle havent had decent attacking players or even midfielders however they have had a terrible defence (and hopefully will on Saturday). I think you will need to see Milner at a club other than Newcastle to see just how good he is afterall IMO he always looks the most dangerous player on the pitch during England U-21 games even though he isnt the most talked about one due to Gabby or Theo usually. because of this U-21 experience and he previous happy spell at VP he would fit in well and he is something we could use a goalscoring midfielder.

so +1 on Milner from me. its just a pitty that such a move wont happen until atleast Summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Newcastle predictions anyone? im hoping for MON to have given them a doing this week after the Fulham game, Newcastle managed a goal last weekend and are there for the taking with their piss poor defence

Villa Team News:

Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor (hamstring) is a major doubt along with Stiliyan Petrov (bruised toe).

Winger Ashley Young is available after suspension and central defender Curtis Davies is expected to have recovered from a knee injury.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7223963.stm

3-1 Villa!

there were a good few predictions already on the last page.

strange that Petrov is a doubt cos of a bruised toe considering a concussion caused him to pull out of the Bulgarian match mid-week. Still though the two combined would prob mean he wouldnt have trained before the game so Maloney or Routledge to start on the righthand side which most people would prefer dare i say.

3-1 Villa!
    Without Agbonlahor? Medic!

Savman wrote: »
    Without Agbonlahor? Medic!

If Villa cant put a few past this Newcastle team at VP then ill get the medic myself even goalshy Boro scored against them, of course no Villa player scored against Fulham *sigh*

actually correcting myself about Petrov he has trained...

Speaking on the official site MON said:

'Curtis and Stiliyan trained today. Curtis is recovering well which is good news for us while Stiliyan is feeling no ill effects now.'

O'Neill added that Gabby was making good progress and should not be out for too long, but that Newcastle just comes to quick for him:

'Gabby won't play but he is making good progress.

'We don't have a game next week so we hope he'll be available as quickly as possible after this match.'

Let's say for a minute you're manager of Newcastle and you want to nullify Villa's attacking threat, so you double up on Ashley Young.

Restricting Villa so the main threat would be.....er, who exactly?

Despite his purple patch, Gabby gives us a huge outlet with his speed, can't see how we replace that tomorro but here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Restricting Villa so the main threat would be.....er, who exactly?

set pieces as usual

Ah yes of course, just lump those free kicks and corners into Laursen and we'll be grand.

its scary to think where we might be in the league if we had a plan b isnt it

If Villa can put 4 past Chelsea, Spurs & Blackburn, all away, then we can definitely get 3 at home against Newcastle with or without Agbonlahor, my prediction is more based on how bad NUFC are though rather then Villas recent hotstreak!:p,forgive my optimism!

Go on Maloney and Petrov if he plays, shock us all and have stormers! Tear that Newcastle defence apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I have been waiting to watch this match all week. I can only hope it's goal fest for the Villa. You never know:)

• Advertisement

Go on Maloney and Petrov if he plays, shock us all and have stormers! Tear that Newcastle defence apart.

both Maloney and Petrov play, apart from Young back, Maloney replacing Gabby is the only change.

c'mon lads

edit: feckin hell Villa Newcastle 1-0 Owen'/Barry OG

great cross by Milner

Really looked like handball on the 15'min in the penalty area by Barton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Was defo a handball. Villa look the much better team, can't see Newcastle not concedding. Barton there was trying to injure Young, typical stuff from him, can't stand him.

he's a thug pure and simple, i never understood swapping him for Scotty Parker although I think both were a bit over rated last season.

If only Villa had a RW, Petrov isnt one and has not started well (no Routlegde on the bench)

edit: HT changes- Gardner and Harewood on Mellberg and Petrov off

the right side is now Gardner(RB) & Maloney(RM) with Harewood upfront. prehaps with Maloney and Young switching wings

Bouma!!!

1-1

never expected him to score go on Freddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

he's a thug pure and simple, i never understood swapping him for Scotty Parker

Agreed! that one made absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.

YES BOUMA!!

2-1 Carew!!!

3-1 Carew... our new top scorer

4-1 Carew hattrick from the spot

goooooooooooooooooooooooooal!

4-1

pen for the villa

big jc to take it for the hat trick

hmmm how did the second post appear before the first lol

either way

wooooo!

• Advertisement

Villa Fans "Theres only one Kevin Kegan" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Does Young look ok?

yup, he came off in the last minute but he was over hugging jc at full time, so it just looks precautionary

delighted for the big jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Yes its great that he was able to step up to the mark and show that the goals dont just come from Gabby.

hooray! guess i was completely wrong in my prediction alright:p!

but of course it was crappy Newcastle, Cacapa? Carr? LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Great result. I was impressed with Harewood especially when I think of how Petrov performed.

Great perforance obviously especially good in the second half after MON got rid of Petrov and brought on big Marlon who gives huge effort and plays full-heartidly ever time hes on the pitch.

Newcastle were dire again today only Owen and Milner looked anyway dangerous.

really pleased for big JC as you could see all the pllayers were too, he does a hell of a lot of work in every game but doesent always get the credit he deserves because of his goal tally. Hopefully that will now change as he is our top scorer.

Gabby should be back for the next game also. Although I would kind of like to see Harewood given a start he seems to work very well as an impact sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Harewood was great today, he really has impressed. Delighted for JC, he really seems like a top club man, hugging the fans when he scores and giving his jersey away at the end, class act.

Seeing Milner today makes me wish he had completed that deadline day move last season, he would of been fantastic in a Villa jersey.

maybe he has a relegation release clause in his contract with newcastle :p

• Advertisement

Missed the game but will watch it later, great result but sounds like we were poor again.

Up the Villa

Missed the game but will watch it later, great result but sounds like we were poor again.

Up the Villa

we will look great on the highlights as Newcastle werent really up to uch at all today so ost of the highlights should be villa ones

I had to leave when we were 1-0 down, so very surprised to see the final result at 4-1. Just goes to show nobody, even us, knows what to expect from this O'Neill Villa side. Every season there's a surprise package and this year I think we're it.

Still, great result.

Hmm Everton won, that puts them 3 clear of Villa and 4 of Liverpool, if only we were in 2011 and we could play Everton in our 39th game and erase the deficit!

lol, we've still to play them anyway

Great result and I'm delighted for Big John Carew.

To be honest we were awful in the first half, Milner was very dangerous and we were very sloppy with the ball and couldn't create any decent chances. In saying that we should have had two penos with Barry's volley clearly hitting Barton’s arm and then Young's legs were taken from under him by Beye in the box but the ref was having none of it.

Second half we were much improved but Newcastle were absolutely rubbish! Their defence has more holes in it then a tea bag! Steve Harper kept them in the game with two great saves from Gardner but they were soundly beaten in end.

Hopefully we can keep these kind of results up because Everton, Portsmouth and Tottenham all won today so we would need some consistency if we are to challenge for Europe.

• Advertisement

Will MON finally give up on Petrov on the right now?

Remaining fixtures:

Sunday, 24 February 2008
    Reading v Aston Villa, 12:30

Saturday, 01 March 2008
    Arsenal v Aston Villa, 15:00

Saturday, 08 March 2008
    Aston Villa v Middlesbrough, 15:00

Saturday, 15 March 2008
    Portsmouth v Aston Villa, 15:00

Saturday, 22 March 2008
    Aston Villa v Sunderland, 15:00

Sunday, 30 March 2008
    Man Utd v Aston Villa, 13:30

Saturday, 05 April 2008
    Aston Villa v Bolton, 15:00

Saturday, 12 April 2008
    Derby v Aston Villa, 15:00

Sunday, 20 April 2008
    Aston Villa v Birmingham, 12:00

Saturday, 26 April 2008
    Everton v Aston Villa, 15:00

Saturday, 03 May 2008
    Aston Villa v Wigan, 15:00

Sunday, 11 May 2008
    West Ham v Aston Villa, 15:00

im guessing the 20th and 26th of April shall be the defining games of Villas season, send the Brum down and then kill off our only rivals (at that stage) chance of a CL spot? oh we can dream.....wildly!...

ive said it before, Petrovs a waste of space, he's had a season and a half, showed nothing (one good game versus West Ham i think it was?),hopefully MON will get rid of him in the summer

Will MON finally give up on Petrov on the right now?

hopefully. Petrov as backup CM and Maloney/Routledge as RM

hopefully. Petrov as backup CM and Maloney/Routledge as RM

I think at this stage Craig Gardner is ahead of Petrov in the pecking order. He had a very good second half and was unlucky not to score.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement