Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

How did Maloney do, i didnt see the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

He was alright, had a pretty decent game. Nothing amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

15 games since a clean sheet

21 games since we failed to score

bloody hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Did anybody see west brom yesterday. Moore came on near the end and looked really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Did anybody see west brom yesterday. Moore came on near the end and looked really good.
    Pfft. He does that, then goes missing for long periods, sometimes months. If he gets rid of the attitude he'd be a roaring success, there's definitely goals in the lad he just never realised his full potential at Villa. MON did give him a fair crack at the whip, he was in the team for a while and I swear you'd count on one hand the number of times he even touched the ball.

The mind boggles, so this one could go either way tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Re lack of clean sheets, do you think Carson will be bought by MON? The man himself certainly wants his future sorting as he won't play for Liverpool again its fair to say.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not at the money Liverpool want anyway, thats for sure. Martin O'Neill has stated his desire to go after the American Goalkeeper again in the summer so its far from certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Well MON bid £2.2m for USA keeper Brad Guzan in January but the deal collapsed after a work Permit was rejected so I'm not sure what his plans for Carson are. I actually think that Carson's price tag could be a stumbling block. Villa have already paid £2m for a one year loan deal and if Liverpool want another 6 to 8 million then MON will probably look else where.

mike65 wrote: »
    Re lack of clean sheets, do you think Carson will be bought by MON?
    You want us to guess MON's next move? Feck. Who knows. Keeps his cards close to his chest that man, but best guess is that I don't see MON paying what Liverpool are supposed to be asking.
    I also suspect he's keeping Carson on an "earn your permanent deal" kinda thing as he did with Laursen and one or 2 others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Welcome back Sav :)

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Welcome back Sav :)
    Oh, hullo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

We can do better then Carson. Would MON chance his arm and get Given. Harper seems to cover him well so the Magpies might leave him fly.
    We also need two decent fullbacks and a creative midfielder that will contribute goals then just Another striker and we would be well sorted.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    We can do better then Carson. Would MON chance his arm and get Given. Harper seems to cover him well so the Magpies might leave him fly.
    We also need two decent fullbacks and a creative midfielder that will contribute goals then just Another striker and we would be well sorted.
    If you want to expect 5 new players in the summer the go ahead but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. The Carson debate holds no water for me. I do not believe we can do better and if the price is right with Liverpool (which it probably isnt) then I could live with Carson moving to VP permanently. You have to remember his age compared to Given, James, Jussi etc, Carson is a mere pup by GK standards. He has shown enough promise imo.

We don't really need 2 new fullbacks either, obviously a RB would be nice but I personally think Gardner is being groomed for that role and Bouma has been rock solid at LB this season.

I'll agree that a creative player would be nice, either up front or in the middle, but hard to see where MON will be looking to strengthen and who will fit into our style of play.

Anyway, Arsenal away tomorro, I'd take a point.

I think Carson would be a good signing for Villa if Liverpool would drop their ridiculous transfer fee. Failing that MON will probably go after U.S. keeper Brad Guzan again in the summer.

Tomorrow's game at the Emirates has away defeat written all over it but I think if Villa can up their game and put pressure on Arsenal (like we did in the second half against them at VP) then we could earn a point.

I'll go for 1-1. Adebayor to open the scoring and Harewood to equalize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Raekwon wrote: »
    I'll go for 1-1. Adebayor to open the scoring and Harewood to equalize.

Lawro also has this one pegged at 1-1 on the beeb and I'd be inclined to agree with the two of you. It's the right time to be playing Arsenal IMO with recent injuries, dips in form and on-field spats/sit-down protests.

But I reckon a first-half lead for Villa through a set-piece, then Arsenal to equalise in the middle of the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll agree that a creative player would be nice, either up front or in the middle, but hard to see where MON will be looking to strengthen and who will fit into our style of play.

I think the areas that need strengthening are
    RB
    RW
    CM
    in order to develop a top class first 11.
    After that, I think squad areas that need improvement are
    CB
    CM
    Winger
    Striker

RB - agree
    RW - agree
    CM - agree
    in order to develop a top class first 11.

CB - eventually
    CM - disagree
    Winger - disagree
    Striker - agree

1 - 0 Villa :D

Senderos OG 27'

Shaping up nicely for another 4-4 London draw :D

Realistically, Barry is good, and Reo-Coker is solid, but there needs to be much more creativity in Villa if they want to beat the **** teams on a very regular basis.

This applies to the wings even more. Still, 3 top quality 10-15 million players in those positions would really go a long way to making Villa some team.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Realistically, Barry is good, and Reo-Coker is solid, but there needs to be much more creativity in Villa if they want to beat the **** teams on a very regular basis.

Bar a recent slip-up at Fulham, we do beat the **** teams on a regular basis. We just have trouble beating Man Utd, Liverpool and dare I say it Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Watching the Arsenal game live here (the first decent game selected by the canadian sports channel since October)
    Very impressed with Villa, they deserve the lead

Reo-Coker just went off and Zat Knight came on. Injury or (:rolleyes:) tactical? The stream I am watching is buffering like crazy and I missed what happened.

Reo-Coker just went off and Zat Knight came on. Injury or (:rolleyes:) tactical? The stream I am watching is buffering like crazy and I missed what happened.

it was curtis davies off and isiah osbourne on according to sky, with davies injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Reo-Coker was injured. Knight went in centre back.

Davies stretchered off too.

Helix wrote: »
    it was curtis davies off and isiah osbourne on according to sky, with davies injured

That was in the 40th minute, but on 32' Reo-Coker was replaced by Knight. Only Harewood or Salifou left on the bench now.

O'Neill will take some slating for selling Cahill now... unless we get a result this afternoon...

they reckon davies has snapped his achillies

1 year + out

Oh jesus, harshness :( Let's hope its something else

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    they reckon davies has snapped his achillies

1 year + out

That is terrible news! Plus we only have Knight (& Mellberg) to fill that position now.

Oh dear :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is he still on loan or was the deal finalised? If it hasn't been I wonder would they still go ahead with it...

2 points thrown away!

Chelsea away, Spurs away and now Arsenal away. Shoulda won all three.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is he still on loan or was the deal finalised? If it hasn't been I wonder would they still go ahead with it...

He is on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent move worth £9m. Villa actually wanted to sign him permanently but West Brom insited on a loan deal for tax reasons. There is a question mark over the deal now, but I still think Villa should sign him, he is an excellent defender (but maybe for a few quid less).

That is typical! :mad:

Good result but yet again it feels that we were robbed of 3 points.

• Advertisement

That is typical! :mad:

Good result but yet again it feels that we were robbed of 3 points.
    Testimony to how far we've come under MON when we're gutted with a point at the Emirates, dontcha think?

Savman wrote: »
    Chelsea away, Spurs away and now Arsenal away. Shoulda won all three.

Villa are notoriously rubbish at getting results in London and have been for years. When was the last time that they won in the capital?

Davies is unlikely to get that move now to be honest.

To be honest, I think Villa get tired towards the ends of games, largely because of the size of their squad. I think a simple increase in squad size will fix this problem for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

As a Man United Fan, just wanna express my thanks for Villa today and previous games against out rivals.

Cheers

Testimony to how far we've come under MON when we're gutted with a point at the Emirates, dontcha think?

Very true. I'm just dissappointed. I had a text ready to send to my Arsenal supporting mate..........but got one the other way instead. Damn, so close!

• Advertisement

Very true. I'm just dissappointed. I had a text ready to send to my Arsenal supporting mate..........but got one the other way instead. Damn, so close!

I think we've discovered why Karma made Arsenal draw!

I think we've discovered why Karma made Arsenal draw!

Yeah, I think I jinxed Villa yet again. When we play at Old Trafford I am going to bury my head in the sand somewhere until after the game is over.

Speaking of Karma, according to a text into 606 on the beeb, the Villa fans were chanting about Eduardo's injury minutes before Davies went off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I dont think anybody is surprised that yet again we concede a goal in the last seconds.
    Whats that, 16 games without a clean sheet now.

Re the Davies injury, there's no point in speculating about how long he may be out for until we actually get official confirmation.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Speaking of Karma, according to a text into 606 on the beeb, the Villa fans were chanting about Eduardo's injury minutes before Davies went off...
    Yeah and we were making fun of the 9/11 attacks too :rolleyes:
    Believe it when I hear it.

Davies is unlikely to get that move now to be honest.

To be honest, I think Villa get tired towards the ends of games, largely because of the size of their squad. I think a simple increase in squad size will fix this problem for next season.
    I think it goes the other way too, conceding late goals at Stamford Bridge, Anfield and now Emirates against 3 very successful teams who know the importance of late goals and how to get them. The only other time I can recall is against Fulham which was a free kick so could hardly be attributed to fatigue.

A point at Emirates is more than respectable when most people had written us off. That's the second time we matched up to Arsenal this season btw.

That's a terrible blow. He'll most likely be out for the rest of the season I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Yeah and we were making fun of the 9/11 attacks too :rolleyes:
    Believe it when I hear it.

It is true they were singing about Eduardo's injury, speaking to a friend at the match, he told me. Suppose the same Villa fans will be feeling a bit sick now with Davies out for the season.

Every club has a few thugs who do things like that, Villa I'm sure are no different.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement