Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

That injury is going to seriously hurt our European hopes, Zat Knight isn't upto it. Although, my choice would be to put Mellberg into the centre with Laursen and Gardner in right-back. But I don't think O'Neill will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm gonna have to sit on the fence on the chanting issue, still not sure what to make of it. If it did take place, then all it does is raises the question "how soon is too soon?"
    I read the chant that was supposedly sung, and found it hard not to laugh, for shame for shame :o

Anyway, I am sick about the Davies injury. But alas, no 5 page spreads about that in the papers today methinks.

Is Routledge injured or did we sign a player we've no intentions on even putting on the bench?

DSB wrote: »
    Is Routledge injured or did we sign a player we've no intentions on even putting on the bench?
    Jaysis, you're a hard man to please. The guy couldn't be anywhere near match fit.

Savman wrote: »
    Jaysis, you're a hard man to please. The guy couldn't be anywhere near match fit.

Yeah but we're not exactly packed to the brim with a huge squad, I'd have thought he'd be at least ok for the subs bench after a month at the club.

Yeah but we're not exactly packed to the brim with a huge squad, I'd have thought he'd be at least ok for the subs bench after a month at the club.
    So in your book, Spurs Reserves to Villa Reserves to a debut against the league leaders? He'd be murdered.

Clearly that isn't what I'm implying at all though. But I'd have thought after a month, he'd be at least ok to fill a bench slot considering we've very little on there. Has he been on the bench yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

That injury is going to seriously hurt our European hopes, Zat Knight isn't upto it. Although, my choice would be to put Mellberg into the centre with Laursen and Gardner in right-back. But I don't think O'Neill will do that.

I'd like to see Mellberg partner Laursen in the centre too, but I think MON will stick Zat Knight in there for the moment.

Davies' injury is definitely a huge blow, especially after selling Cahill in January, but I'm quietly confident we can still make Europe this season. MON was quoted saying that we need more players (for the 100th time :rolleyes:) and this was before Davies' injury so hopefully the penny will finally dropped & he will make sure that he has enough cover for every position in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Yeah i was wondering where the hell Routledge has gone, the only way he's gonna get match fit is by getting 1st team minutes under his belt.

Did NRC just pick up a knock, will he be ok for the next game?

• Advertisement

Clearly that isn't what I'm implying at all though. But I'd have thought after a month, he'd be at least ok to fill a bench slot considering we've very little on there. Has he been on the bench yet?
    After a whole month?! Davies was benched for many a month, IIRC it was Christmas (Stephen's day to be exact) before he got his proper chance when Knight got sent off at Chelsea. There is no time to groom Routledge into the side, far too many important fixtures and a crucial time of the season.

Don't be surprised if we don't see Wayne at all this season. Think I could live with that.

I think you're missing my point. There'd be no problem if he was being benched like Davies. Its just worrying that hes not even being benched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't know if Routledge's omission is purely fitness based, I'd imagine a club as big as Spurs wouldn't have such an inferior reserves system that it takes a player over a month to make the step up to first team substitute appearances.

MON just refers having Salifou & Osbourne on the bench instead. Ozzy actually did quite well when he came on yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villain wrote: »
    Every club has a few thugs who do things like that, Villa I'm sure are no different.

a bloke i know was at the game and said the villa end was a disgrace, caused a lot of hassle for the stewards, as well as their chanting about eduardo

bad form that

Raekwon wrote: »
    MON just refers having Salifou & Osbourne on the bench instead. Ozzy actually did quite well when he came on yesterday.

Why didn't he buy someone he values in January instead then?

• Advertisement

Why didn't he buy someone he values in January instead then?

Why didn't he buy Defoe? Why did he sell Cahill? Asking questions about MON's tranfer policy is like spitting into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Helix wrote: »
    a bloke i know was at the game and said the villa end was a disgrace, caused a lot of hassle for the stewards, as well as their chanting about eduardo

bad form that

apparently a few(small minority) were causing hassle after the match also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

OPENROAD wrote: »
    apparently a few(small minority) were causing hassle after the match also.
    That'll happen after virtually every game played in England, or any other country, over a given weekend, not worth mentioning! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That'll happen after virtually every game played in England, or any other country, over a given weekend, not worth mentioning! ;)

not normally around the Emirates from my experience over recent years,after the Villa match it was a bit more hostile then you would expect around Arsenal, but as I said it was still a very small monority from what I was told and agree not worth mentioning I suppose

just coz it happens a lot doesnt mean it should be acceptable from villa fans

• Advertisement

I think you're missing my point. There'd be no problem if he was being benched like Davies. Its just worrying that hes not even being benched.
    Worrying? Why is it worrying? I think that it's safe to say that regardless of MON's transfer market endeavours, we have to accept he knows exactly what he's at with regard to the management of the team. If Wayne isn't making the bench, you can bet your ass there's a very good reason why. Maybe he's fit but just off the pace. There is no pressing issue when you have Young and Maloney at your disposal, failing that I'd say Petrov would still get the nod ahead of Routledge simply because I think it's a case of better the devil you know. Petrov won't be world class, but he won't be total s*** either, he seems to hover somewhere around mediocrity.

I'm sure Routledge will get his chance, he just may have to wait for it. I have to say, I would be very uncomfortable with the idea of throwing him in the deep end. Salifou is a perfect example of how you can look good in the reserves and still not be up to Premiership pace, I was at VP when in his 60 second debut he lost his man for Reading to score a consolation goal.

Also, I just don't see what Routledge could offer us now that we don't already have, seeing as Shaun is getting a run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_bromwich_albion/7275052.stm
    Davies deal is still on - Mowbray

Davies will not play again this season (Getty)
    West Brom boss Tony Mowbray insists the permanent transfer of Curtis Davies to Aston Villa will still go ahead despite the player's Achilles injury.
    The defender will not play again this season after rupturing the tendon in Villa's draw at Arsenal but Mowbray told BBC WM the deal stays unaffected.

"Curtis becomes an Aston Villa player at the end of his loan and I'm sure an injury isn't going to curtail the deal.

"Villa see him as a big part of their future and I don't see any problems."

If anyone has the personality and character to overcome a bad injury, it's Curtis

West Brom boss Tony Mowbray
    After an uncertain start to his career at Villa Park, the 22-year-old centre-back has become an important part of Villa's defence.

Mowbray knows his absence will leave a significant gap but is sure Davies will be back stronger than ever.

"Unfortunately injuries are part-and-parcel of football but if anyone has the personality and character to overcome a bad injury, it's Curtis.

"He's a very focussed and driven individual and we wish him well.

"Hopefully Albion will be in the same division next season and we'll be competing against him."
    Davies deal is still on - Mowbray

Davies will not play again this season (Getty)
    West Brom boss Tony Mowbray insists the permanent transfer of Curtis Davies to Aston Villa will still go ahead despite the player's Achilles injury.
    The defender will not play again this season after rupturing the tendon in Villa's draw at Arsenal but Mowbray told BBC WM the deal stays unaffected.

"Curtis becomes an Aston Villa player at the end of his loan and I'm sure an injury isn't going to curtail the deal.

"Villa see him as a big part of their future and I don't see any problems."

If anyone has the personality and character to overcome a bad injury, it's Curtis

West Brom boss Tony Mowbray
    After an uncertain start to his career at Villa Park, the 22-year-old centre-back has become an important part of Villa's defence.

Mowbray knows his absence will leave a significant gap but is sure Davies will be back stronger than ever.

"Unfortunately injuries are part-and-parcel of football but if anyone has the personality and character to overcome a bad injury, it's Curtis.

"He's a very focussed and driven individual and we wish him well.

"Hopefully Albion will be in the same division next season and we'll be competing against him."

Curtis Davies in a straight swap with Luke Moore? :p;)

But seriously, do you think Moore could be involved in the deal knocking Davies fee down to around £5m or even less now that he is out until around October? (Davies rated at £9m, Moore rated at £3.5).

I was just reading Knight talking about how he wants to "seize the chance of a first-team recall".....

Surely MON is going to put Mellberg in at centre half and keep Gardner at RB?

As much as that screams out as the obvious choice, I think Knight will be put in.

As much as that screams out as the obvious choice, I think Knight will be put in.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Yeah I agree also. Would like to see Mellberg and Laursen as a partnership. Gardner has been quite steady a RB and the more games he plays the more confident he will become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yea I think it would be the preferred choice for most supporters to see a Mellberg/Laursen partnership at the back.
    My only concern, and it may be a non runner, is that if Mellberg has been training at right back for the season would it be a possibility that he would have lost his positional sense that is so importand for a centre back. I know this is most probably not a problem but just a consideration.

As with everyone, I would definately love to see a proper right back (maybe two) a decent centre back, a quality attacking midfield, a quality right winger and a decent striker coming to villa park in the summer. (This is not going to happen).

What's everyones predictons for Villa now that we are nearing the business end of the season.
    For me I don't think we will get above our present position of sixth. I would be delighted with a sixth place finish, I'd be very much looking forward to a trip into europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think Mellberg & Laursen for the short term would make some sense but I don't think imo its the best option. 2 Reasons:

1 If Gardender gets injured then Mellberg will be back at right back anyway or even if we were missing two center midfield players Gardender would end up in there and Mellberg would end up back at right back.

2. Main reason is the longer term affect, Mellberg is leaving at the end of the season whereas Knight will probably be around as cover for while to come so playing alongside the Great Dane will help him progress and get him more expierence as part of a the Villa defence if Davies or Laursen were to get injured next season.

shoutman wrote: »
    As with everyone, I would definately love to see a proper right back (maybe two) a decent centre back, a quality attacking midfield, a quality right winger and a decent striker coming to villa park in the summer. (This is not going to happen).

I think if we get into Europe then MON will have no other choice but to buy at least half a dozen players if not more. I think we are really missing a creative midfielder that can link our attacks together and take some pressure off Ashley Young on the left. I heard that we have been linked to Rafael van der Vaart who would fit the bill nicely, but he has a reputation of being abit of a muppet so I doubt that MON would want to work with him.
    shoutman wrote:
    What's everyones predictons for Villa now that we are nearing the business end of the season.
    For me I don't think we will get above our present position of sixth. I would be delighted with a sixth place finish, I'd be very much looking forward to a trip into europe.

I would be very happy with a sixth place finish. I don't think Villa can catch Everton or Liverpool who are both in good form so we need to keep picking up points to keep the likes of City, Pomey & Blackburn off our back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Villain wrote: »
    I think Mellberg & Laursen for the short term would make some sense but I don't think imo its the best option. 2 Reasons:

1 If Gardender gets injured then Mellberg will be back at right back anyway or even if we were missing two center midfield players Gardender would end up in there and Mellberg would end up back at right back.

2. Main reason is the longer term affect, Mellberg is leaving at the end of the season whereas Knight will probably be around as cover for while to come so playing alongside the Great Dane will help him progress and get him more expierence as part of a the Villa defence if Davies or Laursen were to get injured next season.

In fairness Villain we have 10 games left in the season. We have a chance of European football for the first time in years and still in with an outside chance of Champions League.
    I think MON should be picking his strongest team every week and I think most of us here think that involves a Laursen/ Mellberg partnership. Its fine thinking about the future when you have nothing to play for but for a chnage with 10 games to go we do have.
    Juv aint signing Mellberg to play RB. He is great in the air, reads the game well and is a little bit too ackward on the ball to play RB eventhough he has done a good job for us.

If we finish Top6 and don't get into Europe I think I may have to take my own life. That'd be just our luck alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United or Chelsea will win the FA Cup. It's possible that somebody might win the UEFA Cup, but to be honest, it's hard to look past Bayern, and I think the only English team who could do it, Spurs, already have their European spot.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    In fairness Villain we have 10 games left in the season. We have a chance of European football for the first time in years and still in with an outside chance of Champions League.
    I think MON should be picking his strongest team every week and I think most of us here think that involves a Laursen/ Mellberg partnership. Its fine thinking about the future when you have nothing to play for but for a chnage with 10 games to go we do have.
    Juv aint signing Mellberg to play RB. He is great in the air, reads the game well and is a little bit too ackward on the ball to play RB eventhough he has done a good job for us.

You have a strong point, but you also have to remember that with each game Mellberg is closer to been a Juve player, his commitment has been great up to now but I don't know if he will have the same hunger and bravery as Knight trying to stake his place for a position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Hope this doesn't put the big man off his game.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article880266.ece
    STRICTLY Come Dancing star ALESHA DIXON has scored with soccer giant JOHN CAREW.

They have been on a string of dates since the 6ft 5in Norwegian caught the dancing queen’s eye.

Former MIS-TEEQ singer Alesha, 29, was wed to SO SOLID CREW star MC HARVEY, but they split in 2006 after he cheated on her with pop pal JAVINE HYLTON.

Now she has found happiness with Aston Villa striker Carew.

They have been spotted together at top London restaurants in recent weeks.

A friend revealed: “She deserves to be with someone nice after what she’s been through.

“She’s so lovely and lights up every room she walks into. It’s great she’s found someone who makes her smile.
    “He’s a gentle giant. He’s a massive bloke, but a really nice guy.”

Alesha won BBC1’s Strictly last year and said: “Now I’m happy. Strictly gave me a zest for life.”

Things are also looking up on the field for Carew, 28, with his team flying high in the Premier League.

The religious star is a scary figure on the pitch but a nice guy off it.

He is known for his charity work and contributes to organisations like Soccer Against Crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fair fcks to him, she's savage!

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/03/05/lerner_gives_the_foreign_owner.html

interesting article about lerner from the other day

Looks like Reading & Fulham have done us a favour by beating Man City & nicking a point at Blackburn respectively. Now all we have to do is beat Middlesbrough on Wednesday to give ourselves a 5 point cushion and gain some ground on Everton & Liverpool :)

Savman wrote: »
    If we finish Top6 and don't get into Europe I think I may have to take my own life. That'd be just our luck alright.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

What a disasterous day of FA Cup football for us. Man Yoo and Chelski both knocked out. Lets hope one of the english teams win a European competition.

• Advertisement

6th place wont get us europe now anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Terrible results. I swear to god if Barnsley are the cause of us not getting into Europe I will personally bomb the place.

I don't think we'll catch Liverpool, so will have to hope Everton go on a bad run. Cmon Sunderland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hope this doesn't put the big man off his game.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article880266.ece

Haha, every time I click on a Sun link Firefox closes on me, its like it senses the bullsh1t...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

pretty disastrous FA cup results for Villa, however this means now we can give Liverpool & Everton a run for their money as the underdogs as there is nothing to lose, that Everton - Villa game towards the end of the season could be set up to be more important then any stinky FA/League cup final!

I really expect atm for Villa to be in the intertoto cup at the start of next season. That is what sixth will get you unless Portsmouth manage to get sixth and win the Uefa cup in which case 7th gets you intertoto as Villa, City, Popey, Blackburn and West Ham (i think) have applied to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I really expect atm for Villa to be in the intertoto cup at the start of next season. That is what sixth will get you unless Portsmouth manage to get sixth and win the Uefa cup in which case 7th gets you intertoto as Villa, City, Popey, Blackburn and West Ham (i think) have applied to it.

lets have a look at the fixtures:

Aston Villa v Middlesbrough
    Portsmouth v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Sunderland
    Man Utd v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Bolton
    Derby v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Birmingham
    Everton v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Wigan
    West Ham v Aston Villa

Boro, Sunderland, Bolton, Blues & Wigan should be banker Villa wins*

we can write off Man Utd.

leaving Portsmouth, Everton & West Ham, all away, the Hammers will be playing for nothing at the end of the season so 3 points should be within reach

Portsmouth away is a tricky one with their firepower, Defoe might come back to haunt us! but, like Villa, Pompey are better away then at home (Boro, Spurs, Blackburn, West Ham, Everton & Man City all came away with something from Fratton park this season)

This leaves Everton, a very tricky game, i feel that how well we do here will decide who gets the UEFA/ Intertoto spots

*famous last words, all these teams are will be in the relegation mire so they will scrap and at least one team will scrape a win against Villa

if we get 60 points this season we will have done amazing whether we get any Euro spot or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Villa at Old Trafford would be very tough.
    But I think they can beat West Ham on the last day of the season if it matters.
    They can beat Portsmouth, especially since Portsmouth will be resting everybody for the rest of the season :)

I think you're right in saying Everton will be the decider.
    I think however, to get 4th place, they will need to win at least 7 of their remaining games. I think Liverpool are coming into form (although they have the toughest run in of the 3 there) and Everton seem to be rising to the challenge. Villa will have to match it.

In some respects I'm glad the tougher of our remaining opponents are away. We seem to have the whole counter-attack-and-shnake-a-cheeky-goal-from-a-corner tactics down to a fine art this season!

Routledge is in the squad for tommorrow.

If Boro play like they did in the FA cup Routledge would beat them on his own.

Here's hoping....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement