Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Savman wrote:
    Hendrie, Angel, Hughes, Delaney, Laursen, Samuel, Sutton, Berger

I would agree with most on this list (I would also add Djemba-Djemba to it), but I feel that Berger could well offer us something as a squad player next season if he decides to stay. His attitude since he come back from Stoke has been great and he looked lively in the few sub appearances that he has made since.

I'm not sure about the Laursen situation, he seemed like a great player from the handful of games he played in but his injuries have become constant and he has only playing 19 games in nearly 3 seasons. His wages & treatment must be costing the club a small fortune and at this stage, I'm sorry to say, he has become baggage.

Anyway, Gavin McCann is set to miss the next two games because of suspension (good news!). Who do you think will partner Petrov in central midfield? I think MON will opt for a fit again Craig Gardner ahead of Steven Davis, although I would personally like to see Davis been given a run in the team (even when McCann is available!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The Central Midfield thing is a problem for us I think, we could do with a workhorse in there. I would be hoping for Barry & Petrov Centre Mid with Maloney & Gabby on the wings. I like Davis too though...

Maloney looked lively when he came on, not afraid to take people on too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think Barry is an interesting case as he does have the ability to deliver that killer pass but if he was playing on the wing he can also take on and beat players, petrov still hasnt settled in the premiership the difference in quality and pace of the english game is giving him trouble I dare say. Hopefully he can adapt to it and will prove himself to be the quality player that many people think he is capable of. I know he disputed the claims in the media saying that he wanted to return to scotland but there is no smoke without fire and I just hope that his loss of self confidence will not see him give up on himself and villa.

Wright Philips has no future at Chelski and its clear for everyone to see, he would be a great addition at Villa park as would Bellamy. Give Young a season or two and hopefully he will fill the shoes that his pricetag has given him...
    As Savman said Villa could do with a playmaker, if Barry were to play on the left Petrov needs a partner in the midfield, the likes of Tim Cahill or Arteta would do wonders. An attacking minded central midfielder with the flair and skill to create something out of nothing, the ability to hold up the ball find that crucial through pass or even score the long range piledriver alla Steven Gerard, wishfull thinking perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

Savman wrote:
    He was never moving to Chelsea :confused:
    Not a bad first season for him though, scoring at Stamford Bridge, Anfield and Old Trafford. Think he's looking worn out though.

Sorry I thought this was a David Villa thread.

Passport wrote:
    Sorry I thought this was a David Villa thread.
    We'll have him too :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ive heard us linked to wesley sneijder recently. promising if there is any truth to it.

Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about Villa's results over the weekend. The away win at Blackburn was amazing, only the second away win all season, but the draw against a ten-man Wigan was awful. But I guess if the results were reversed and we drew with Blackburn and beat Wigan then I would be fairly happy. So not too bad overall.

Berger was the highlight of the two match, with 1 goal and 2 assists. Like I said before, I think he has done enough to warrant a one year extended contract. It was also good to see Martin Laursen play two full games.

Next game will be tricky enough, away to Middlesbrough. Hopefully we can nick a point off them but they have been one of our (many) bogey teams over the years so it will be tough. Hopefully Carew will be back and it would be nice to see Steven Davis start in central midfield in place of Craig Gardener.

Taken from Yahoo sports, http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/13042007/1/villa-target-raid-keeper-boruc.html
    Villa target raid for keeper Boruc
    Fri 13 Apr, 11:15 AM

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is reportedly lining up a £4million summer move for highly-rated Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc.O'Neill has already raided his former club to sign Stiliyan Petrov and Shaun Maloney and now the Daily Record believes he is after the impressive Polish shot stopper.

It has been reported that Boruc has received an invitation from agent Tony McGill, who set up the Petrov and Maloney deals, to visit Villa Park and watch the team play.

Boruc is under contract at Parkhead until 2009 and could cost Villa £4million while there could also be competition from Bayern Munich, who have also been linked with Arsenal's Jens Lehmann.

Villa's current number one Thomas Sorensen has 14 months left on his contract and is yet to be offered a new deal.

So it looks like MON is going after another one of his former players.
    Is this guy any use? Do we need a new keeper?

shoutman wrote:
    Do we need a new keeper?

After another Sorensen howler on Saturday, maybe we do need a new man between the sticks :confused:

Other transfer possibilities that have been mention in the media are:
    West Brom's Paul McShane & Jason Koumas, Preston's David Nugent & Spartak Moscow's Vladimir Bystrov.

Yea that was a poor goal to concede yesterday... but most of the time I think he has been fairly consistent and has the ability to pull off big saves, I think he is slightly Fabian Barthezesque, prone to concede a few poor goals but all round a good keeper.

As for the players you mentioned I'm not too sure about any of them to be honest, anybody think we should be aiming for a higher class of players? That said McShane has been performing very well, i'm not too up on the other players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tommy needs some competition and the Celtic keeper is fairly good. It's amazing how two away wins can push up the league although a lot of teams below us have a game in hand of us.

I agree with Shoutman we should be looking at higher class players those mentioned, while McShane is good I think we need to get proven top class players we have enough players from our youth side and Young who have the potential to be top class but we need proven quality now imo.

I 100% agree that the players that have been mentioned in the media lately have been well below the standard of player that Villa should be looking for. I even think that McShane, even though he is a promising talent, is no better then Cahill or Ridgewell.

But I have faith in MON and he will have the funds to bring in some world class players during the summer, hopefully starting with Wright-Phillips.

As for Sorensen, he is a decent keeper but he doesn't really command his area well or inspire confidence in the defence in front of him. I think some healthy competition would keep him on his toes and make him work harder for the number 1 jersey.

Reports in the media are saying that Angel is off to the states in the summer, it said that the american team will take over his 40k a week contract but it doesnt say if any other money will be exchanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

What's happed to Steven Davis? What a season he had last season and there was talk a switch to Liverpool and Manutd. I like MON myself, but im not to sure if everyone has jumped on a bandwagon here. I know he did a good job with leicester and Celtic, but the SPL is poor standard of football, they play each other 4times a season.

Steven Davis is one player who I think quite a lot of people reckon has been unfairly left out in the cold by MON, he got player of the year last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Yup, its confirmed that Angel is no longer a Villa player. :( i remember when they bought him. Tis a pitty, him and Saviola would of made a great partnership up front (in the unlikely event of us getting Saviola that is)

I think MON should invest in a proven playmaker and start working those strikers since there more than enough competition for places.

I'm sad to see the back of Angel :( Even though he had a rollercoaster 6 seasons at Villa, I think its fair to say that he is a cult figure with the fans. I'm actually surprised that he didn't move to Spain or Italy because he has been linked to the likes of Real Betis, Valencia & Parma, to name a few, in the past. Even so, I hope he does well in the MLS and I will follow his progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

My name is redundant. :(

No one probably noticed anyway. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

A passenger in the villa team for at least the last 2 years if not more!
    could just about score a penalty!the man was a huge waste of money.
    Villa should have sold him to one of the forementioned spanish clubs for a good price!
    john

• Advertisement

A passenger in the villa team for at least the last 2 years if not more!
    could just about score a penalty!the man was a huge waste of money.
    Villa should have sold him to one of the forementioned spanish clubs for a good price!
    john

He was more a cult figure than anything else. A superbly talented player who was playing with players who were not on his wavelength most of the time.
    Could have been massive in a technically gifted team.
    I almost feel he wasted his career at Villa.

He was brilliant for river when he played there. Different kind of game though. He has contributed to Villa considerably and showed great loyalty to all the managers he worked under since Gregory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

never followed the situation fairly closely, but i always felt that Villa never used him to his full potential, that they should have built the team up around him rather than expect him to slot into their style. kinda similar to Sheva, Riquelme, whatnot, some players need the team built up around them to achieve thier full potential, and i always felt he was one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Played 34, won 9 :(. Sheffield United and Wigan have won as many games as us. Only Fulham and the bottom three have won less than us with both Charlton and West Ham only a single win behind us on 8.

Results-wise, it was quite a disappointing first new season for Team Lerner and O'Neill. I still have quite a lot of hope for the future though. A good centre back and central midfielder and we could be European potential next season.

Hopefully Randy won't get bored.

Ibid wrote:
    Played 34, won 9 :(. Sheffield United and Wigan have won as many games as us. Only Fulham and the bottom three have won less than us with both Charlton and West Ham only a single win behind us on 8.

Results-wise, it was quite a disappointing first new season for Team Lerner and O'Neill. I still have quite a lot of hope for the future though. A good centre back and central midfielder and we could be European potential next season.

Hopefully Randy won't get bored.

hopefully he's of the opinion he's only getting started, we were European champions once to quote randys right hand man General Krulak "We can be again, under Randy Lerner"

So who do you think MON should be purchasing over the summer?
    It had been suggested that he's looking for a goalscorer but with Carew, Young, Moore, Ablanghor and the rest of the youth squad do we not already have potential up there?

Also, had an arguement with someone that Shaun Wright-Phillips wont be leaving Chelsea, what other midfielders can be acquired?
    Remebering that we dont have any european cup football next year I think bringing in proven talent is gonna be very hard.

• Advertisement

Well I think Duff could do with a move hasn't got back to his best or anywhere near with Newcastle and I think MON might get the best out of him, thats if we can't get SWP.

We need a proven CB not sure who though, also need a left back like Wayne Bridge and a new CM oh and Saviola would be nice :D

Saviola is a no go, without European football he wont move.
    SWP would be a great asset, but given his performance against westham he will not be as easy gotten as when MON was offloading Baros.
    I think Samuel is a half decent LB, I think we were lucky with Upson, have never really considered him to be great. I'd say Munich are the best team to buy off after their fairly poor season, but unfortunately I have a feeling that MON will stick to less proven players and try to get the most out of them.
    Celtic reserves anyone?

I still think Wright Philips is a realistic target for MON. Chelsea will no doubt chop and change a few members of their squad and with Abramovich hinting that he is going to be tightening the purse strings, Mourinho will need to sell some of his fringe players to reinforce his spending power. Also, Joaquín from Valencia has been linked with Chelsea and he plays in SWP's position.

Anyway, even if we don't get SWP, we badly need a creative midfield player. One player who I would love to see at Villa Park next season is French international Florent Malouda. He has recently stated that he wants to move away from Lyon and he would be a perfect midfield attacking option for Villa. Trouble is that the likes of Roma and Real Madrid also seem keen on securing his services so I guess that's the end of that :(

Also, I read somewhere that Villa are top of the England's UEFA Fair Play league table and if it stays that way until the end of the season then we could be in the draw for a spot in next seasons UEFA Cup. (Okay it is an extreme long shot, but I live in hope :p)

Samuel has confirmed he will be leaving Villa in the summer!

another recent qute from Herr General

General Krulak here:

1. Tevez...I am sure that MON and scouts are out looking. I cannot confirm anything re. Tevez as that would be insanity.

if Teves was willing to go to West ham why not Villa, at least we will still be in the Premiership and with a quality manager / billionaire owner. Could even be relativley cheap Masch was apparently around the 5mil mark (plus wham would get nothing, he must have a relegation clause).... we can wish.

• Advertisement

Another game and yet another draw :( That is 16 draws this season and quite frankly that is not good enough. I watched the game against Portsmouth on tv and I cannot believe Villa did not collect all 3 points. Chance after chance went begging for us and Pompey didn't even have a shot on target in the whole game!

The one thing that Villa desperately need is a player (or players) that can help turn these draws into wins. Villa should really be up where Everton and Bolton are in the table and competing in Europe but we need to be much more clinical in front of goal.

Also I read online that MON could be willing to let some of our young fringe players leave Villa Park. Hopefully he can hang onto the likes of Steven Davis, he was amazing last season and I'm sure his confidence and form will return if he is given a chance.

Martin O'Neill is poised to stun Aston Villa fans by letting go some of the home-grown kids who thought they would be the backbone of the club's future. That will open the door for the clutch of clubs chasing Northern Ireland international midfielder Steven Davis and England Under-21 defender Liam Ridgewell. O'Neill will have a £20million transfer kitty from American billionaire owner Randy Lerner this summer and he's admitted it means he might not be able to keep the likes of Davis and Ridgewell happy - though he'd prefer them to stay. The Villa boss said: "You don't want to let young players go, but there's going to be a stage where some of them who have tasted it a bit are not playing regularly. "It was always going to be a five- or six-year plan and we will look to kick forward now. We are looking for players who can turn draws into wins. Eventually quality players will make the difference."

Source: Sunday Mirror (not the best)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i wouldnt be too worried about ridgewell leaving tbh, i cant stand him

davis less so, but he just hasnt done it at all this year, so if we can get someone in who WILL do it, id be happy enough to see him go too

Here

I'm not so sure about it, I much prefer the crest that we just had. This one is abit of an old school design. Ah, I'm sure it will grow on me :)

I'm hopeful...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what are teh thoughts on Bardsley? Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Bardsley is OK but looks certain to return to Utd at end of season. He is very erratic, sometimes great attacking movement followed by really bad defensive decisions.

Looks like MON is looking at Paul McShane from West Brom.
    http://www.wba.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/PlayersDetail/0,,10366~30544,00.html

Bardsley not really up to much, most villa fans happy to see him off back to United. Was grand for a stop-gap though and suppose he's still learning. Will be easily forgotten though :D

Don't like that crest but might grow on me in time, where's the star that Lerner spoke about??

I actually liked Bardsley he's not top class but he gives everything and looks better than Hughes, I wouldn't want him going unless we have someone new to come in for him.

The more I look at the crest the more I don't like it. Our new Nike kit will be revealed in the match programme at the Sheffield Utd game on Saturday (& on the website on Sunday). It will be interesting to see the new crest on the actually jersey. Btw, irish1, the star is above the lions paw on the crest. I attached a bigger pic below. Doesn't look the best :(

About Bardsley, he is an average player, nothing spectacular. He is decent enough going forward but he lacks good defence skills, which kind of defeats the purpose ;) I think a fit again Mark Delaney would be much better.

The crest is kinda weird. Hard to believe that the majority voted for that.
    I think we'll get used to it and I think on a jersey is where it will look best.

• Advertisement

MON just won Manager of the Month for April, fair play!
    http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/HeadlinesDetail/0,,10265~1021129,00.html

While the rest of the boardsies bicker over ManU and Liverpool, the Villa will creep up on the outside :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just looked at the results. 3 away wins, 3 home draws. What's up with that? :confused:

Dunno. Don't care either :D

BTW for those interested Villa celebrating 25 years since winning European Cup this weekend, I believe the '82 squad are being paraded on the pitch before the game this weekend v Sheff Utd and the game is a sell-out. Should be worth watching even if it is PremPlus :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Heading over for my first visit to Villa park, hopefully both teams will turn up. I'm expectign lots fo goals. :)

Stekelly wrote:
    Heading over for my first visit to Villa park, hopefully both teams will turn up. I'm expectign lots fo goals. :)

You'll get a free scarf tomorrow! And I think it's a sell out. Should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Raekwon wrote:
    Here

I'm not so sure about it, I much prefer the crest that we just had. This one is abit of an old school design. Ah, I'm sure it will grow on me :)
    Oh dear...

That's a shame really. As with Arsenal, I really liked the old crest, and am completely indifferent to the new one.

Well the bloody fans voted for what they wanted and this is the result. The new board did everything they could do appease the fans with this and went with the majority vote on everything, including whether to say "Aston Villa" or just "AVFC" like it says now. "AVFC" got the vote.

Bloody democracy :mad::mad::o

Savman wrote:
    Well the bloody fans voted for what they wanted and this is the result. The new board did everything they could do appease the fans with this and went with the majority vote on everything, including whether to say "Aston Villa" or just "AVFC" like it says now. "AVFC" got the vote.

Bloody democracy :mad::mad::o

It's weird just looking at it on a page but on a jersey I think it will have a cool retro look. And it'll soon be forgotten when we spend a qazillion pounds in the summer!

3-0 up and strolling at the moment nice to win again at Villa Park and what an end to the season 4wins and 3draws in the last 7, pity bout mid-season when playing Man utd/Chelsea 4times in 5 games killed any momentum the side had

• Advertisement

Fantastic win yesterday. Real feel good factor for Villa fans now.

New training ground was opened today. Here's a video.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kmvbwq

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement