Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

maybe 50k basic then a 10k appearance fee or something like that

youre keeping your weekly structure intact, and if the blokes playing well and keeping his place in the team hes making a few quid more

didnt mon say last summer he was in favour of having the majority of a players wages being based around appearances and performances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Except that all those players from Chelsea will expect to be in the top bracket, which will mess things up a bit.

yeh, especially since theyre not really deserving of being on anything close to the wages theyre on

sidwell on 60k like

thats insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well it would be crazy to give a manager 50 million to buy 3 or 4 10m+ players and not provide a wage structure to match.

£50m SHOULD do us for 6-8 players imo

Well depends on what quality we go after my point was there is no point in giving money for transfers without giving the money for wages that will entice the players to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

PHB wrote: »
    Except that all those players from Chelsea will expect to be in the top bracket, which will mess things up a bit.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. Would the likes of SWP or Wayne Bridge be willing to take a pay cut to join Villa even if it practically guaranteed them first team football and strengthened their England chances? Money seems to be the driving force behind alot of players decisions these days and some players are on astronomical wages. Would you believe that a fringe player like Darren Bent pulls in close to £100k (£94,669 to be exact) a week at Tottenham?

It's actually quite frightening when you think about it and teams like Villa would really need to stick to there £50k per week wage caps if they are to steer clear of future debt stemming from ridiculous player wage demands.

that spreadsheet was dismissed as being massively innacurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The club have the money to attract big names. But MON has stated publicly several times that he is leaning towards an incentive-based wage structure, so while SWP-type players might not want a pay cut, they would be handsomely rewarded for loyalty, appearances, goals etc etc etc.

It's a good system if you ask me and rules out the danger of signing someone who just wants a paycheck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

From who has been suggested / linked in the original piece I posted and recently mentioned via the media I would like to see the following, all of which would IMO fit in with the current Villa wage structure at VP.

GK
    Jussi (Free)
    Guzan (2.5m-ish)... goes off on loan to a top chapionship team to get used to England
    RB
    Nelson (6m?)
    RM (AM/LM)
    James Milner (7m?)
    AM
    Mario Santana (5m?)
    AM/ST
    Riccardo Montolivo (7.5m?)

some of those prices were just guesses but as they are mostly non uk based the prices wouldent be as inflated as usual and I would definatley be happy to see all those players arrive at VP with the following leaving

Patrik Berger (Contract not renewed)
    Carson (post-loan option not taken)
    Moore (West Brom transfer made permenant)
    Osbourne (to go on Loan)

add to that a few of the Villa youngsters coming through (Delfounso etc) and we would have a very very good mostly young squad for the 08/09 season. Now one more day of Transfer talk and then its Derby time for the Villa part of my brain.

edit: although they may be more my guesses at transfer prices still its only 28mil for those 6 players and despite the fact that most prople think Villa might have huge money to spend
    £50m SHOULD do us for 6-8 players imo
    honestly I cant imgine Villa and MON spending that kind of money in one transfer window, but 28m is believable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Wow you would swear from this thread that there was'nt a big game on this weekend?:D

Its too early for predictions i guess, but is anyone heading over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

RM (AM/LM)
    James Milner (7m?)

Y'is already had your chance to sign Jambo, can't see KK selling such a good player. I'll happily give you Duff or N'Zogbia for 7 million though :pac::D

Bluebirds' Euro bid backed
    Cardiff's bid for a place in Europe if they win the FA Cup has been boosted after they received the backing of the professional game board.

Should the Bluebirds defeat Portsmouth at Wembley, they would not be allowed into the UEFA Cup under current FA rules.

However, the professional game board, which is made up of Premier League and Football League chairman, agreed Cardiff should be allowed to enter the UEFA Cup as a representative of England.

They will hand that recommendation to the FA board in a meeting next week, where the decision is expected to be confirmed.

Professional game board spokesman Dan Johnson told the Western Mail: "Members of the professional game board debated the Cardiff matter and decided the fair thing to do is for them to be permitted to go into Europe.

"They deemed it is only right and proper that if a side is invited to enter a competition and they win it, they should reap any subsequent rewards of that. This is our official position and it will be put forward as a recommendation to next week's meeting."

Looks like what I read was correct after all, or am I still reading this wrongm i.e. if Cardiff win the FA Cup they will take one of English Uefa Spots?

It would be farcical for the FA Cup winners not to be allowed enter the UEFA Cup at least. It would probably be the final nail in the coffin for the FA Cup, which used to be a prestigious competition.

Yea but Uefa have already stated they might get a wild card so I don't know why the FA want to give them one of the English FA's spots in Europe?

EDIT

Jesus just noticed that was my 8,000th post on Boards, jesus thats mad I remember making a 1000 and thinking that was a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Spurs rumored to be having a clear out as well this summer.

I'd take any of Huddlestone, Lennon or Bent. Or all 3!

I can't see Bent leaving, especially with Berbatov probably on his way out.

Lennon has huge raw potential, but really hasn't fullfilled it. I think MON could get the best out of him.
    Can't imagine Huddlestone will be sold.

I can't see Bent leaving, especially with Berbatov probably on his way out.

Lennon has huge raw potential, but really hasn't fullfilled it. I think MON could get the best out of him.
    Can't imagine Huddlestone will be sold.

Well I'm just going on rumours and if they are up for sale I'd hope we'd be in the mix.

Good result tonight. Everton are very catchable now.

• Advertisement

yeh im still fairly sure that even if we draw with them we can finish above them

JPA wrote: »
    Good result tonight. Everton are very catchable now.

fingers crossed Arsenal beat the next.

fingers crossed Arsenal beat the next.

erm

considering we play them before arsenal do, i think you mean fingers crossed we beat them next lol

Helix wrote: »
    erm

considering we play them before arsenal do, i think you mean fingers crossed we beat them next lol

good point :o kept thinking Everton were playing this weekend despite having the game tonight and with Villa playing (winning) in the Brum Derby i had mistakingly assumed Everton v Arsenal was next.

anyway first prediction for said Derby:

Villa 2 Birmingham 1
    Laursen with the first (a header of course) before Zarate makes it 5 in 5 for him (wouldent mind stealing him in the Summer when the blues cant afford his fee) before Ridgewell gives away a penalty and Barry slots it home for the win.

then the following week we beat Eveton by 1goal and go level fifth with them on goal difference and all.

I have to say I can't feel confident about next two fixtures hard to see now beating Brum but its a derby so anything could happen. Going to Everton is going to be tough really tough. Only good thing Wigan may be safe by the time we play them so if we can win the next 2 I'd fancy us to make it 3 in a row.

Up the Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Oh yeh Cudicini would be a fantastic buy aswell. He could possibly still be the 2nd best goalie in the PL after Cech, which is just nuts.

Aren't you a Man U fan? How can you say this in light of the pivotal role VDS has played since ariving at Old Trafford. Or are you merely speaking in the context of players worth purchasing? (Seeing as VDS probably has what... one season left?)

• Advertisement

3 - 1 to Villa.

I'd say Young & Carew to put Villa into a comfortable lead only for McFadden to pull one back setting up Harewood to finish off the filth in the magically 85th minute ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think Ridgewell will score an O.G. before they pull one back through a Knight cock up then Balou Harewood will come on and rescue the day.

I think 1-1 vs Everton.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Aren't you a Man U fan? How can you say this in light of the pivotal role VDS has played since ariving at Old Trafford. Or are you merely speaking in the context of players worth purchasing? (Seeing as VDS probably has what... one season left?)

Cause like, being a United fan doesn't mean I've to think every player is fantastic.

VDS in the last 2 seasons has solid. Nothing amazing. Solid. He made like 2 mistakes a year. That was great. This season he has taken it to a whole new level. He still is gona make those 2 mistakes a year, but also makes amazing saves quite reguarly now. If he can maintain his concentration until the end of the season, he will have been amazing.

That said, Cudicini was the best keeper in the league before Cech joined. It was absurd to think that Chelsea had to two best keepers, absurd. While Cudicini really isn't anywhere near his old levels, I think if he started playing regularly again, he would be the 2nd best keeper in the league. Right now, he's pretty evenly tied with most of the good keepers though.

Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry insists any claims about his future are just speculation after reports suggested he was set for a summer move to either Liverpool or Chelsea.

The 27-year-old versatile midfielder has been instrumental in Villa's charge towards a Uefa Cup qualification spot, and Barry has also claimed a regular place in the England squad after a string of impressive recent displays.

Despite reports that UEFA Champions League semi-finalists Liverpool and Chelsea are vying for his services, Barry insists his focus remains solely on the success of Aston Villa.

"At this moment in time it's just speculation," Barry told Sky Sports News.

"It's something I've dealt with before and I will approach it exactly the same way as I have done in the past, until the manager says something different, or I hear something different.

European lure

"My job is on (playing) Birmingham City and helping Aston Villa finish this season. I don't see why else I should be sidetracked at this moment."

The lure of Champions League football could be enough to persuade Barry away from his 10-year stint in the Midlands, however the England international revealed he will wait until the end of the current campaign before making any decisions on his future.

"I'll be lying if I sit here today and say I don't think about my own future," he said.

"But as I've always done I'll take it one year at a time and assess things at the end of the season.

"There's so much to play for, for Aston Villa, and that will be my job until we play West Ham away at the end of the season."

sounds like barry might be imagining himself elsewhere to me

Not the most confidence building interview from GB. Hopefully a 5th place finish and the guarantee of European football will alleviate any thoughts of moving from his mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Liverpool has been mentioned by the Times Newspaper {online} I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Will the team be using the same home jersey next season or is there plans to bring out a new one?

theres a new one, coz we have a new sponsor

Who's the new sponser?

not announced yet, looks like itll be acorns childrens hospice in brum, free of charge as a goodwill gesture from the club tho i believe

shoutman wrote:
    Not the most confidence building interview from GB. Hopefully a 5th place finish and the guarantee of European football will alleviate any thoughts of moving from his mind.

Amazing how some "convenient" editing can twist things to look or sound a certain way.
    He added: "I think this has been my best season, certainly in terms of my own game and where the club's heading now. From two years ago to where we are today, we've made exactly the strides the manager told me we would do.
    "He said we'd be competing for European football again, which we are. He told me my own individual game would come on and I'd be playing for England again - which has also happened. It's been a great season for myself and hopefully the club can finish with a good season too.
    "I don't think I have to move to learn more. The ideal situation for me is to be competing at the top level of football for this club.
    "When people talk about me leaving they don't talk about the fact that I've got so much to lose here as well. I'm the captain here and I've got a great relationship with the fans.
    "Ten years at one club, it would be a wrench to even think about leaving. I don't have to leave to achieve, I've always said I want to be doing it here."
    ;)

Storm in a teacup, maybe its just agent talk trying to get a potential England captains contract out of Randy Lerner, if so give it to him.

Barry knows Villa are on the cusp of greatness so he will defo stick around IMO

I just checked the TV listings and Villa vs Birmingham don't seem to be on the box this weekend :eek: Newcastle Utd v Sunderland are on at 13:30 then it's Manchester City v Portsmouth @ 16:00 and Setanta Sports are only showing SPL & EL. This must be the first time in Premier League history that the Birmingham derby hasn't been televised. F**k them anyway :mad:

Edit: If this has been mentioned in the thread earlier then apologises, I'm slightly pissed :p

Raekwon wrote: »
    Villa are on the cusp of greatness

ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Barry knows Villa are on the cusp of greatness so he will defo stick around IMO

I just checked the TV listings and Villa vs Birmingham don't seem to be on the box this weekend :eek: Newcastle Utd v Sunderland are on at 13:30 then it's Manchester City v Portsmouth @ 16:00 and Setanta Sports are only showing SPL & EL. This must be the first time in Premier League history that the Birmingham derby hasn't been televised. F**k them anyway :mad:

Edit: If this has been mentioned in the thread earlier then apologises, I'm slightly pissed :p

Yep it's not on the box. The nothing derby between Sunderland and Newcastle matters more to Sky.

• Advertisement

ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha
    :confused::rolleyes:
    Raekwon wrote:
    I just checked the TV listings and Villa vs Birmingham don't seem to be on the box this weekend
    Fookin scandalous. I mean it's not like they could possibly be worried about ticket sales ffs. Don't understand that one whatsoever.

Savman wrote: »
    :confused::rolleyes:

villa are a billion miles away from greatness

in contemporary football united have attained greatness

you could debate whether arsenal have or not, theres valid points for and against

to suggest we are even within a decade of being close to that is beyond ridiculous

we may well be on the cusp of goodness, but for the love of god, lets not get carried away with ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I just checked the TV listings and Villa vs Birmingham don't seem to be on the box this weekend :eek:
    JPA wrote: »
    Yep it's not on the box.
    Savman wrote: »
    Fookin scandalous. I mean it's not like they could possibly be worried about ticket sales ffs. Don't understand that one whatsoever.
    I realised this a few days ago. Fortunately it's going to be shown in The Living Room just off O'Connell Street. As well as this a fanclub are meeting up there to watch the match. I watched the Fulham match with them, they're all sound lads and were very welcoming. I'll be there and I'd recommend that anyone looking to see the match should go too.

Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry will seek assurances from manager Martin O'Neill regarding his summer transfer plans before deciding on his future.

Barry is desperate to win trophies after a decade at Villa and believes the current squad needs considerably strengthening if he is to have a realistic chance of achieving that goal.

The England midfielder is being linked with a move to Liverpool and knows he is approaching the peak of his career.

O'Neill wants Barry, who has two years left of his current contract, to sign a new deal but assuring the player he intends to splash out in the transfer market will be a crucial element.

Barry, who will lead the side in Sunday's derby clash with visiting Birmingham, said: "Does the squad need massive additions? I think it probably does especially if you look at the players who are probably going to be leaving.

"The squad is pretty low in numbers at the moment - and you see the likes of Olof Mellberg, a great international player, leaving the club.

"There are a couple more out of contract (Thomas Sorensen and Patrik Berger) that are going to be moving on. That is going to leave us even thinner in terms of numbers.

"I would have thought the manager was looking at a lot of numbers coming in and not just any old numbers but quality numbers to add to the ones we've already got here."

"Is that what I want to talk to Martin O'Neill about? Yes, it would be. I assume it would have been discussed anyway.

"I would have been talking to him anyway as captain, to see where the club is heading and what we've achieved this year and what we want to achieve next year. Things like that will be spoken about."

Barry added: "I have to look at myself now and be selfish in what I want to do. I'm 27, and the next two or three years will be the peak of my career.

"I think I can still improve on my game. It's going to be a selfish situation and those questions (to O'Neill) need to be asked.

"You can never guarantee winning medals. If you move to a top four club or stay here, nothing can be guaranteed.

"But what you want is to hear that the club are doing the right things to try and achieve that."

Barry is adamant ambition and not financial gain would be the paramount reason if he decided to end a 10-year association with Villa.

He said: "If I moved, it's got to be about ambition. I can't sit here and say I haven't been paid well over the last 10 years. Anything I do now would have to be the right thing for my career."
    Sporitng Life / Eurosport

Intersting alright, could be a good thing as it will mean that O'Neill might try strengthen the squad at the start of summer rather then the end of it.

shoutman wrote: »
    Intersting alright, could be a good thing as it will mean that O'Neill might try strengthen the squad at the start of summer rather then the end of it.

And he isnt wrong either, Barry is the living embodiment of what we as fans want, MONs response hopefully be positive. maybe we should start threatening to support Liverpool;).

These are new times but old news, a reasonably successful season, in the Ellis era we would get a disappointing summer, lets see if Randy & MON are different.

shoutman wrote: »

I don't think MON will be pressurised into doing anything like that, if we sign people early it won't be because of Barry. the fans or anyone else.

In saying that, I do hope to see some early signings to avoid the nightmare that is Villa fans in transfer windows. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Ibid wrote: »
    I realised this a few days ago. Fortunately it's going to be shown in The Living Room just off O'Connell Street. As well as this a fanclub are meeting up there to watch the match. I watched the Fulham match with them, they're all sound lads and were very welcoming. I'll be there and I'd recommend that anyone looking to see the match should go too.

Interesting. Is it the same location every week? Is there a website/mailing list?

One last comment on the Barry thing, while MON won't be held to ransom by any player, I'm sure the man is well aware he would have to show true ambition to hold onto all his good players. The man seems intelligent enough to know exactly what the score is there.

Anyway kick that to the kerb. I hope we feckin stuff this shower today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

krinpit wrote: »
    Interesting. Is it the same location every week? Is there a website/mailing list?

Usual meeting point is in The Duke off Grafton Street. The message board is http://avie.aceboard.com.

Turn up in a Villa shirt and yer all more than welcome.

Edit: post 3000 on thread. Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Anyone got an online feed for the match?

Edit - Never mind, 22260

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement