Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barry just did some little magic there, Villa look up for this, but so do Brum, especially McFadden

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone have a link for live commentary?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link for live commentary?

the link in my last post is a live stream with english commentary its running smoothly for me too

Oh lovely, i presumed it was foreign commentary

• Advertisement

Ashley Young you Legend 1-0

2-0 Carew, Villa are playing great.

another great assist from Young

Surely one of the top 4 are looking at Young, he really is something else this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Back of the net! Young is a class act. Great performance so far but they've had their sneaky chances too. Couple more goals should do it :pac::pac::pac:

btw http://www1.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=10573&part=sports for the live stream

PHB wrote: »
    Surely one of the top 4 are looking at Young, he really is something else this season.

that £9.75 million fee Villa paid really seems like a bargain now, think he would cost twice that if someone wanted to buy him now. The f=guy should be an englnd regular IMO

• Advertisement

Next goal is vital.

3-0 Barry sets up Carews second

great stuff

...with a little help from Agent Ridgewell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's all to easy. :D:D:pac:

Wow wow wow. 4-0 :eek: :D

god i love Ashley young 4-0

edit 4-1

pity woulda liked another clean sheet

I think the debate of whether Ashley Young is Player Of The Year is now over ;)

Darn no clean sheet today, but ah well.

TIME TO UNLEASH THE HARE!!

Amazing stuff from Villa, MON really is putting together something special. The biggest challenge now is to keep the team together.

p.s. after what Birmingham did to Bruce, them getting relegated couldn't happen to a nicer team.

Damn, clean sheet bonus gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

5 - 1 Gabby

• Advertisement

V1llianous wrote: »
    5 - 1 Gabby

Unbelievable. We're so good and they're so sh1t.

This really is the most enjoyable match ive seen in ages

Gabby you fookin beaut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Here comes the Hare - on for Olof Mellberg !

Nice gesture by MON - Standing Ovation for Olly !:D

Really lovely game :) Bravo MON.

Villa's goal difference is now better than Evertons

Mellberg off... The Hare set loose

Amazing stuff. Couldn't have wished for any better.

10/10 all round. Just fantastic day at the office, and the added bonus when you consider the opposition :pac:

That was a great gesture by MON for Olof and boy did he milk it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

WHAT AN AMAZING WIN!!!!! :D I'm absolutely chuffed to bits! :pac::pac::pac:

15 goals in 3 games is nothing to be sniffed at (even if it was against relegation fodder), I really do think Villa are on the cusp of greatness (yes Helix, I said it again ;)) and we can only go from strength to strength under MON (with alittle help from Mr. Lerner of course).

UP THE VILLA!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

3 games 15 goals scored 1 goal conceded !

yes they were against 3 of the worst teams in the Premiership but god-damn Villa are on form going into the everton game. Hope City help us out now and get atleast a draw against Pompey

I also feel Villa are cusping the relative threshold of what could potentially one day be viewed as a perspective "greatness".:pac:

Dont matter that they were all relegation fodder, we're in some vein of form atm and you can only beat what's in front of you. The ability to kill off teams is the sign of a good side (dare I say great side?). Whether we catch Everton or not, I'm gonna enjoy this day with a great big one of these > :D on my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Raekwon wrote: »
    I really do think Villa are on the cusp of greatness (yes Helix, I said it again )

so you think we're on the verge of being comparable with manchester united?

Savman wrote: »
    Whether we catch Everton or not, I'm gonna enjoy this day with a great big one of these > :D on my face

we can

if we dont lose at goodison on sunday, we're gonna get 5th :D

Laursen recommends Villa stay
    Denmark ace insists England stars are better off at Villa Park

Aston Villa defender Martin Laursen has told his team-mates to resist the lure of the 'Big Four' - and believes the likes of Peter Crouch should be looking to move to Villa Park.

Villa captain Gareth Barry has been heavily linked with a move to Liverpool recently, while the performances of young players like Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young have led to speculation about their futures.

But as the likes of Peter Crouch have shown, international players can find themselves out of the first-team at the big clubs and Laursen believes they would all have most success at Villa.

"I can see how it can be a problem if one of the 'Big Four' teams comes in with £20m for one of our players," he told the Mail on Sunday.

"It would be difficult for a club like Villa to ignore that, but the final decision will still come down to the player.

"I think there is a good argument to say they are better off here, playing and developing every week, rather than not contributing at another club.

"This is a club who are going places. We have a lot of good young players here, so an England striker like Peter Crouch should be interested in coming to Aston Villa.

"It's why I signed a new contract here - because I believe in the future. I can't see myself playing for another English team."

Helix wrote: »
    Not by what they would consider "greatness" which is really a subjective thing. Greatness for AVFC is UEFA qualification, eventually CL qualification, and quite simply a trophy in the cabinet. That would be great for us, maybe not necessarily so for Man Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Brilliant :)

I punched the ceiling in Frazer's so often my knuckles are killing me :D

Savman wrote: »
    Not by what they would consider "greatness" which is really a subjective thing. Greatness for AVFC is UEFA qualification, eventually CL qualification, and quite simply a trophy in the cabinet. That would be great for us, maybe not necessarily so for Man Utd.

greatness for villa again would be early JG-esque league performances imo

if mon doesnt mess up again in the transfer window, i see no reason why we cant push liverpool for 4th next season. if he does mess up in the transfer window again, i dont think we'll break the top 8 next season

if he does mess up in the transfer window again, i dont think we'll break the top 8 next season
    He hasn't messed anything up, only rejuvenated a dead club. Man you're such a killjoy.

I shpose the offset of being a successful club is that even when things are going well your fans will find something to have a moan about:p

just coz im realistic and dont get carried away with 3 good results, no more than i got carried away with the 3 bad ones before it doesnt mean im looking for something to moan about

itll be great if we get 5th, and i think we will, but its a case of finishing a bit above our station this season if we do. going into july we'll have even less of a pool of players than we have now, so its up to the manager to bring in players of sufficient calibre to enable us to improve on this seasons finish, be that 5th or 7th

the hare, routledge, salifou et al are not players a team with realistic ambitions of champions league football sign. they were signings that served the purpose needed when they were bought to some extent, but the summer is where the manager shows whether he can take us any further

i dont see how this is looked upon as being negative, its a simple fact of life

i think some people need to realise that you can enjoy super performances from your team and still acknowledge problems. just coz you follow a team doesnt mean you have to pretend everything is perfect all the time, the biggest part of being a fan is WANTING it to be perfect all the time imo

so if you think im being negative for wanting things to be done right, so be it

Some great pictures:

• Advertisement

Helix wrote:

The current Manchester Untied? Now that is just straight up comical right there :D If you want to compare the current Villa team to the Man Utd team of the late 80's then I think that would be a fairer comparison. Obviously I don't expect Villa to start winning trophies year in year out and dominating the league for years like Utd eventlly did, I am a realist and I'm not getting carried away. But if Villa can mount a serious challenge for 4th place and put a few decent cup runs together (at home and in Europe) then that to me sums up 'greatness', from a Villa fan's perspective anyway.
    Savman wrote:

..........and also what Savman has said ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

moores definitely a 20 goal a season man, ive zero doubt about that
    Villain wrote: »
    Not very good at the minute if we can make 2 or 3 big signings with another 2 or 3 squad players we might push for top 6 but at the minute I can't see us getting above 8th or 9th.
    id be happy with 9th/10th

if we didnt have a single injury or suspension, we could manage 7th, but its not gonna happen with the squad we have
    That article seems pretty bang on about O' Neill. As a man manager and motivator, it doesn't seem like there are many better than him out there. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's any good at judging a players potential. His signings have been awful.

• Young: Lots of hard graft and the occasional bit of trickery, an average player, certainly not worth the £10 million that he cost
    • Carew: I didn't think that Villa could get a player that was worse than Baros, but it looks like they found him.
    • Reo-Coker: Like Ashley Young, there's a lot of hard work and graft put in but there's no class there at all. Poor passer, doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball in the forward positions. Gavin McCann did what he does and he cost nothing
    Anyhoo I totally agree that the squad is totally undersized and I'd be surprised if we finish in the top half.

Just some quotes to remind us how good a season it's been all in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What'd be great for Villa?

If we beat Everton next week.

One game at a time lads ;)

Ibid has just thrown a verbal molotov cocktail into the debate :D You forgot a few 'choice' quotes from DSB too............something along the lines of 'MON' & 'Out' ;)

Ibid wrote: »
    Just some quotes to remind us how good a season it's been all in all.

no denying its been a good season, regardless of where we finish. my aim for us was 10 points more than we got last season, which we're 2 points away from doing. i didnt think we'd quite get there, though i did think we'd manage 5-7 more

its been a strange season of both overachievement and missed opportunities, which i dont think happens many clubs too often lol

i dont think our current batch of players can physically do any better tho

i see we're second top scorers in the league, only 5 behind united

thats insane when you consider our top scorer only has 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Absolutely brilliant result today. I just hope MON said that the Everton game will be nothing like the last three, and that we'll have to be patient if we dont go ahead in the game and cut them up at will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

F*cking awesome result. I was on site all day so haven't seen anything looing forward to highlights.

Up the Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

A brilliant result. I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights. It's a pity not seeing any of the last 3 games live. It certainly makes the finish to the season much more enticing than usual.

On a side note I'm off to the states tomorrow, does anyone know if any of the US sports channels would be likely to show the Everton match?

EDIT. Excellent it's on fox soccer channel. Happy days.

does anyone know if home grounds sell away tickets at their ticket desks?

wanna head over to the west ham game, but tickets are only on sale to season ticket holders and i never bothered getting an ST this season. i know a girl who lives in london who might be able to pick me up one if they were available from west ham direct

had been planning on hitting the wigan game but i left flights too late and theyre over 200 quid now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement