Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i see liverpool put in a bid for barrys right foot earlier today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Liverpool have tabled a 10million bid for Barry according to Tony Barrett in the Liverpool Echo, who is about as reliable as they come.

Is this the same Liverpool that rate Scott Carson at £10m+? I think they would seriously need to raise there bid if they want to be taken seriously and even if they did I really hope that Barry will stay with Villa.

based on their valuation of carson, barry is worth £35-40m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just heard on Today FM sports news that O'Neill has hit out at Liverpool for making the deal public, that it wasn't a cash offer but a player swap deal? They couldn't possibly have been cheeky enough to offer Carson as a direct swap for Barry, could they?

Oh dear....

"Peter Crouch set to return to Aston Villa in £14m Gareth Barry deal"

:(

Whatever about the deal, this is absolutely disgraceful form on behalf of a Liverpool. Just because their season is over, Villa still have serious business to attend to in the league, and this could really damage the mood in the camp. I know it's p1ssing me off no end...

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote:
    Oh dear....

"Peter Crouch set to return to Aston Villa in £14m Gareth Barry deal"

Oh dear is right! Villa sold Crouch for £2m and I personally don't rate him as highly as John Carew so on that basis alone I think that deal would be a disaster. You are right though, these next two games are really important for Villa and now Liverpool have thrown a spanner in the works by being selfish bastards :mad: Why couldn't they wait until the season ended to start bidding for other teams players?

mon on the bid:

"Liverpool haven't made a straight cash offer. They've made an offer involving a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Liverpool acting horribly here.

wtf are they at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The fact this has gone public is poor show from Liverpool. That said, Crouch + cash would be excellent business for MON.

However if Barry leaves, MON's gona have trouble convincing Young et al to stay.

PHB wrote: »
    However if Barry leaves, MON's gona have trouble convincing Young et al to stay.

dunno about that to be honest

• Advertisement

Helix, where'd you get that quote from MON, have you a link to his full statement? Wouldn't mind reading it, cheers.

I think MON will do everything he can to hold onto his top players as he was quoted saying: "We're trying to build a side here and we're not a feeder club".

Full article from [url]www.avfc.co.uk:[/url]
    "Gareth Barry still has two years of his contract left to run and from my two years experience of working with him; he's not one who would ne wanting to break contracts lightly.

"Liverpool haven't made a straight cash offer. They've made an offer involving a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges.

"I'm particularly disappointed to hear that business is being conducted in public and I just want to be clear on this: We're trying to build a side here and we're not a feeder club.

"We want to be trying to challenge. At some stage we want to get to the position that this football club once held. That will demand an awful lot of effort. It will take a supreme effort and it will take very, very good players.

"I don't want to be in a position of letting really good players go. Gareth Barry is a really good player who still has two years left on his contract.

"I haven't discussed these things with him yet. At some stage obviously I will do. But the day before probably our most important game of the season is not the time to be discussing it."

"A couple of weeks ago Gareth said he would prefer to wait until the end of the season before we start discussing things and I think that would be the right thing to do.

"It's particularly disappointing to find out that Liverpool have carried the story in their local paper. It's certainly not the way that the Liverpool of old conducted business. I prefer to do things with a bit or privacy and a bit of confidentiality.

"So that's particularly disappointing, especially at this time, we've got two important games coming up. Liverpool's season might effectively be over as they've qualified for the Champions League and their interest in this season's Champions League ended a couple of nights ago.

"I'd rather be waiting until the end of the season before I discussed things."

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Helix, where'd you get that quote from MON, have you a link to his full statement? Wouldn't mind reading it, cheers.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1304231,00.html
    Martin O'Neill today angrily hit out at reports on Merseyside that Liverpool have lodged a £10million bid for captain Gareth Barry.

And, though he confirmed contact had been made, the Villa boss stressed his determination to keep Barry, insisting: "We're trying to build a side here and we're not a feeder club."

Following weeks of speculation, reports surfaced at lunchtime claiming Liverpool made a £10million bid for England international Barry.

O'Neill told [url]www.avfc.co.uk:[/url] "Gareth Barry still has two years of his contract left to run and from my two years experience of working with him; he's not one who would ne wanting to break contracts lightly.

"Liverpool haven't made a straight cash offer. They've made an offer involving a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges.

"I'm particularly disappointed to hear that business is being conducted in public and I just want to be clear on this: We're trying to build a side here and we're not a feeder club.

"We want to be trying to challenge. At some stage we want to get to the position that this football club once held. That will demand an awful lot of effort. It will take a supreme effort and it will take very, very good players.

"I don't want to be in a position of letting really good players go. Gareth Barry is a really good player who still has two years left on his contract.

"I haven't discussed these things with him yet. At some stage obviously I will do. But the day before probably our most important game of the season is not the time to be discussing it."

The Villa boss continued: "A couple of weeks ago Gareth said he would prefer to wait until the end of the season before we start discussing things and I think that would be the right thing to do.

"It's particularly disappointing to find out that Liverpool have carried the story in their local paper. It's certainly not the way that the Liverpool of old conducted business. I prefer to do things with a bit or privacy and a bit of confidentiality.

"So that's particularly disappointing, especially at this time, we've got two important games coming up. Liverpool's season might effectively be over as they've qualified for the Champions League and their interest in this season's Champions League ended a couple of nights ago.

"I'd rather be waiting until the end of the season before I discussed things."

Thanks for the quotes lads.

This has to be B.S. There's no way he'd leave this up in the air going into that dressing room tomorrow, it could spark anarchy. There has been a decision (unfortunately IMO that Barry will leave, to where I don't know) but in saying they haven't discussed it yet keeps the media from hounding him for the final decision.

This is going to ruin Mellberg Day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Liverpool acting like w*nkers, the bulls1t around the owners is obviously behind this but its bad form and while Liverpool is a huge club I don't think Gareth Barry would be doing himself any favours joining them while Hicks and Gillett are in charge, lerner should try his best to keep Barry, if MON and Lerner could show the kind of players they want to buy it might help.

if pool were to offer crouch plus finnan plus £5m, i think we should take it

Don't want crouch tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If Barry want's to leave, good business would be cash in + Crouch, and buy Sidwell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dont want crouch back at VP. good player infact far better than Villa ever got to see in his former spell at VP but IMO Carew is better. Personally think MON should tell Liverpool to fup right off unless the bid is seriously upped and Barry actually asks to leave. the "mish-mash of nameless player exchanges" part of it however makes me interested... who? Finnan, Carson, Crouch, Riise, Pennant? apart from prehaps Finnan id rather just go player shopping elsewhere personally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'd definitely take Carson and Pennant in a straight swap.

DSB wrote: »

jesus christ

I'd value Barry at about 12 million. I'd value Carson and Pennant at more than that. Pennant on the other side of Young would be immense. Unless we can get Lennon or Wright-Phillips. Which I don't see happening.

im happy your not MON then. I wouldent sell Barry for 15m or less while im sure Liverpool would jump at the chance to get such money for those two. Villa dont need to sell so unless Barry asks to leave for Liverpool really really bend our arm with a stupid money offer the we should start next season with Gaz Baz as our captain.

im happy your not MON then. I wouldent sell Barry for 15m or less while im sure Liverpool would jup at the chance to get such money for those two. Villa dont need to sell so unless Barry asks to leave our Livrpool really really bend our arm with a stupid money offer the we should start next season with Gaz Baz as our captain.

To me it seems like he wants to leave. The whole 'i may have to be selfish' thing definitely gave off the impression that its something that he has been considering. And he was hardly going to come out and say 'yes i want to leave' coming into the 2 biggest games of our season.

To me it seems like he wants to leave. The whole 'i may have to be selfish' thing definitely gave off the impression that its something that he has been considering. And he was hardly going to come out and say 'yes i want to leave' coming into the 2 biggest games of our season.

well with MON saying
    "I want to be clear, I want to build a club here, we are not a feeder club - we want to try to challenge, at some stage, we want to get to the position that this club once held [European champions] and this demands an awful lot of effort, a supreme effort, and that will take very good players and I don't want to be in the position of letting players, really good players go and Gareth Barry is a really good player who still has two years left on his contract."

it seems MON hasnt been told by barry that he wants to move and like i said until thats the case we should either not sell or really screw any prospective bidder over the price IMO. 10mil/Pennant and Carson = fup right off Liverpool IMO

we're forgetting that even if he wants to leave, it doesnt necessarily mean he wants to go to liverpool

chelsea and arsenal have both been linked in the past

The whole 'i may have to be selfish' thing definitely gave off the impression that its something that he has been considering

of course he has to consider it, hes a professional footballer

he owes it to himself to take a look at anything that comes in

Helix wrote: »
    of course he has to consider it, hes a professional footballer

he owes it to himself to take a look at anything that comes in

Yeah I agree, but its not normally something they'll come out and say.

• Advertisement

ah hes always been a straight talker

Maybe, I reckon he'll go though. If he was close to joining Portsmouth and Tottenham recently enough, the clubs interested now are a big step up from that.

no i defo reckon he'll go too

i just wouldnt bet on it being liverpool, especially when it would appear they cant actually afford to pay cash for him

off topic of Barry:

get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=81

could this be Villa's Jersey for next year?

no, coz it was done by a bloke on villa talk about 8 weeks ago lol

:(
    Helix wrote: »
    no, coz it was done by a bloke on villa talk about 8 weeks ago lol

pity it looks nice, although i wouldent imagine the actual design to be too far off that

• Advertisement

nah itll be pretty similar id imagine

the pics of the new arsenal jersey leaked from the nike factory have the new villa one to the left of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The things that constantly strike me about Gareth Barry are his intelligence and professionalism/commitment to the club. After his brilliant performances against Israel and Russia he knew his place and refused to go beyond "I'm happy to give the manager an extra option." I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the fans were the real reason he said "Match my ambition." That really puts the pressure on Randy and MON to invest properly next season and see Villa finally move up that gear we've all been waiting for.

That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he moved to Liverpool for £12m either. Schweinsteiger, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Liverpool are fcuking scum for leaking that story.

I think Barry will go and if he does ill be sad to see him leave but ill wish him well.

If Hargreaves went for 18m and Carrick for 16m then i think Barry should command a similiar fee.

Id rather straight cash than getting other players involved. I dont want Crouch, we bought him for 5m and sold him for 2m, he'd an unhappy time here and id rather Carew ahead of him. Carson when he joined had the potential to be possibly worth 10m, however his stock has really gone down hill since due to a string of bad performances and he's worth nowhere near this now.

If Barry asks to leave, MON will let him go and i feel he'll join Liverpool ahead of Arsenal or Chelsea.

I used to think Benitez had class, integrity and intelligence, the comments he made about Drogba during the week quickly changed my mind, and today's leak shows he's making enemies quickly.

Esse85 wrote: »
    If Hargreaves went for 18m and Carrick for 16m then i think Barry should command a similiar fee.

Thats an excellent point actually.

Laursen to step up to captain if/when Barry goes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What players should cost and what they actually end up costing tend to be two very different things. And often, the latter is a product of factors that are entirely unrelated to the actual ability of the player at hand.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What players should cost and what they actually end up costing tend to be two very different things. And often, the latter is a product of factors that are entirely unrelated to the actual ability of the player at hand.

O'Neill should be using those as his basis for why Liverpool need to pay more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I agree, i think Hargreaves and Carrick should of cost less than what they actually cost, however the fact that Barry is being picked ahead of these 2 expensive players for his country suggests that he is worth what was paid for either of those players.

If thats the going rate for that type of player, then Liverpool better pay up or look somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I really hope Barry does stay. He is one of the key reasons why Villa are in the position they are in this season. He is irreplacable in my opinion, if he was to leave no matter who we bring in they will not have the same longing to do well for the club initially as that man does every time he plays.

I think by saying he will be allowed to go if he wants those behind the scenes at villa par have made a mistake. I think unless teams get into a bidding war for him they no that they don't have to pay top dollar as the management have said if he wants to go he's for sale. Now i'm not saying that they will allow him to leave for peanuts but I can't see him leaving for 15mil+ although in my mind he is invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I agree, i think Hargreaves and Carrick should of cost less than what they actually cost, however the fact that Barry is being picked ahead of these 2 expensive players for his country suggests that he is worth what was paid for either of those players.

That's a rookie mistake. Never ever judge anything based on what the English national team does. They tried to accomodate Lampard and Gerrard by playing Scholes on the left wing.

Barry imo at those levels imo, he's a good player, but not what I'd consider 1st choice quality. IMO a fair price for him in the current market would be about 12-14 million. That said, a fair price for Crouch in the current market would be upwards of 10 million at least. As such, I could see a minor exchange of cash plus Crouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Liverpools treachery in all this is obscene. is the Premier League going to do anything about this? If Barrys head has been turned by whatever means and wants out then he should be sold to anyone but Liverpool, how dare a club use such public tactics to try and unsettle a player. if this happened to Liverpool you can imagine we would be hearing about the injustice of this from their fans:rolleyes:.

Just because Liverpool is run in such a poisonous manner it doesnt mean they should use these kind of business practices when dealing with other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpools treachery in all this is obscene. is the Premier League going to do anything about this? If Barrys head has been turned by whatever means and wants out then he should be sold to anyone but Liverpool, how dare a club use such public tactics to try and unsettle a player. if this happened to Liverpool you can imagine we would be hearing about the injustice of this from their fans:rolleyes:.

Just because Liverpool is run in such a poisonous manner it doesnt mean they should use these kind of business practices when dealing with other clubs.

It's just the reality of modern business. Liverpool stopped being a special club in terms of ethics and good practice the day it was sold to Hicks and Gillet. Who really cares? Real do it every month of the year. The feelings of the supporters of small clubs is kinda irrelevant. No rules have been broken. Therefore no action will be taken.

The more I think about this the more it annoys me, the transfer window isn't even open yet, we are pushing for a Uefa spot by getting 5th place and all the talk is about Liverpool's bid for Barry because the shower of clowns went and made the bid public.

Lets concentrate on getting 3 points in our next game and pushing for Europe, and if Barry decides he wants to leave we'll have to accept that when it happens but I'd find it hard to believe he would go to pool in their current state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Is there anywhere online or live that I can watch this match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Go MON!

I think Liverpool have proven themselves to be a club all over the place, and to be honest -knowing Barry's integrity- he'd be insane to join a club like that in the current climate. He could find himself cast aside if/when a new manager comes in, what does he do then? Moving to a Top 4 club is not always a step upwards, and there are as many players whose career go backwards as go forwards. SWP, Sidwell, there's been a few.

Incidentally, Barry supposedly wants to move to a club for a chance of silverware, can someone please tell me what silverware Liverpool are in with a shout for this year? Or is it just the chance to play in the CL? Because with Rafa in charge, he may not even get a sniff when the games come round. If MON can't convince Barry to stay, nobody can and he's better off leaving even if we'll have our work cut out replacing him.

I'm beginning to think this could be a mini-blessing in disguise, replacing Barry is a £10m+ exercise, so whether he stays or goes MON's hand has been forced. If Barry stays, MON has to bring in some quality, if Barry leaves MON has to bring in serious quality. Every cloud has a silver lining?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement