Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

shoutman wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online or live that I can watch this match?

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/
    usually something there near kick-off time

From the Express & Star

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/03/villa-are-planning-summer-...
    Villa are planning summer overhaul

Villa will embark on their biggest ever spending spree this summer in an attempt to keep Gareth Barry.

Chairman Randy Lerner and boss Martin O’Neill are determined not to be pushed around by Liverpool in the battle to keep their captain.

O’Neill and Lerner spoke yesterday afternoon and both are seething at Liverpool’s offer for Barry.

The pair are angry at the timing and nature of the bid, which doesn’t even stipulate which players are included.

“I am disappointed and that’s an understatement,” said O’Neill. “I have spoken to the chairman and Randy Lerner is equally disappointed - and that’s an understatement.

“It’s a deliberate unsettling tactic and particularly disruptive the day before a game. It’s not how I want to conduct business.

“I will be returning the call and maybe speak to Rafa Benitez and I will make the point to Liverpool.”

The Villa top brass will spell out their determination to keep the midfielder by offering him the biggest pay deal in the club’s history to stay in a new, long term contract.

The club will also assure him of their ambitions by telling him which players they are targeting in what is expected to be a whirlwind of transfer activity this summer. Barry is already among the top two earners at Villa on £42,000 a week, but it’s understood O’Neill has been given permission to break the club’s pay structure to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

TBH lads, ya all need to chill out a little about Liverpool going about this the wrong way, i admit it wasnt an ideal way, BUT at the end of the day, Liverpool have confirmed nothing in relation to interest in Barry. This is Rafa on the prospect only yesterday...

Q:Gareth Barry is a player you have been linked with, is there anything in that at all?

A:I read about a lot of names and different players in the press. I also read about my own players, but we do not have any comment. We continue working and that is it.

Who actually confirmed this story was actually MON on Villas official site.

Before that, it was just a story that appeared in a local paper, albeit by a respected journalist, but he has gotten stories wrong in the past, and will again in the future.

It was only speculation from a regional newspaper and hadnt really been picked up by Sky etc until MON confirmed it.

Just pointing that out to you.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    TBH lads, ya all need to chill out a little about Liverpool going about this the wrong way, i admit it wasnt an ideal way, BUT....

honestly i think its partially a way of saying to Liverpool Fup off and leave our captain alone without actually saying it, as if Barry says he wants to go we wont stand in his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Go on the MON:
    The offer was a mixture of cash and nameless players and O’Neill simply planned to dismiss it.

He added: “There was no £10m, just talk about cash and players. How can you offer nameless players?

“Someone asked whether it meant Torres and Gerrard — but I’m not sure they want to leave Liverpool at the moment!”

I'm feeling a lot easier today, when yesterday morning that deal looked all but sealed. I think MON showed his class by making a such a pragmatic statement, to iron out any niggles that Liverpool's bid may have caused in the camp.

Roll on Wigan, I hope we stuff them! I know I'd be picturing red jersey's on the opposition if I was lining out for AV today :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Straight from the horses mouth (so to speak) Link

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

It doesn't matter how much any club offers for Barry - it shouldn't be about money, because Villa don't need it. Villa will not miss an odd £10m or £20m. Time to start thinking bigger - acording to Forbes we're the 24th richest club in the world right now.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Straight from the horses mouth (so to speak) Link

i like o'neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Wtf are Liverpool doing offering such a crappy deal anyway? in the 21st century they are offering cash and crappy players for Barry? what a joke. For a so called bigger club offering such a nonsensical deal makes no sense. Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal wouldnt be offering such a deal, just cash.

Like it has been mentioned already Carrick & Hargreaves are both 16 million pound players, seeing as Barry plays more regular international football then they do, if he goes then it will have to be for at minimum £20 Million.

Re: Mr Alan, Liverpool may have done nothing officially wrong, but this whole affair stinks to high heaven and reflects badly on Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

TBH lads, ya all need to chill out a little about Liverpool going about this the wrong way, i admit it wasnt an ideal way, BUT at the end of the day, Liverpool have confirmed nothing in relation to interest in Barry. This is Rafa on the prospect only yesterday...

Q:Gareth Barry is a player you have been linked with, is there anything in that at all?

A:I read about a lot of names and different players in the press. I also read about my own players, but we do not have any comment. We continue working and that is it.

Before that, it was just a story that appeared in a local paper, albeit by a respected journalist, but he has gotten stories wrong in the past, and will again in the future.

It was only speculation from a regional newspaper and hadnt really been picked up by Sky etc until MON confirmed it.

Just pointing that out to you.

ah jaysus alan are you for real?

every man and his dog knows that liverpool feed the echo anything they want leaked in the media, always have, always will

liverpool leaked the story, we responded

I think Villa should appoint Boris Johnson in a honorary role, at least he would deal with Liverpool in a less gentlemanly but more forthright way then MON, Randy or the General can do. Lets ask Celebrity fan David Cameron to make this happen!

Helix wrote: »
    every man and his dog knows that liverpool feed the echo anything they want leaked in the media, always have, always will

liverpool leaked the story, we responded

Well, Liverpool have fed the Echo stories in the past BUT not all stories they print in relation to Liverpool are fed to em by the club. SO not all the stories they print are accurate.

So this was just another story until MON spoke of the bid and slated Liverpool.

come to think of it,the story in the echo was for a 10 million cash bid-this hasnt happened. strange they'd get it wrong.

imo its O'Neill who has brought this into a public arena, perhaps in an effort to scare Liverpool off.

Savman wrote: »
    Go MON!I'm beginning to think this could be a mini-blessing in disguise, replacing Barry is a £10m+ exercise, so whether he stays or goes MON's hand has been forced. If Barry stays, MON has to bring in some quality, if Barry leaves MON has to bring in serious quality. Every cloud has a silver lining?

+1, i quite like Barry and want him to stay, but out of Agbonlahor, Young or Barry, if we had to lose one then Barry would be the one. have NRC as a new captain playing next to a midfielder who can score a few more goals and convert penalties. Even if Barry stays i think MON needs to find a more offensive style CM. Swap Barry for Alonso anyone?

actually the story in the echo was for a 10 million cash bid-this hasnt happened.

so its O'Neill who has brought this into a public arena, perhaps in an effort to scare Liverpool off.

the story run by the echo was a £10m bid

an itk who knows someone in the echo says they were told it was £7m plus carson, but they were to run with the £10m bid story. they print what theyre told in exchange for exclusives

if it suits liverpool to put out half-truths or false rumours to suit them, the echo will do it so theres obviously a reason they wanted the £10m story put out

to be perfectly honest, o'neill should turn around and refuse to sell him to liverpool at any price for this, but if barry wants to leave make him available to any other club in the world

1-0 wigan

this is worse than aids

• Advertisement

god, you really dislike Liverpool dont you?

god, you really dislike Liverpool dont you?

yup

ive no problem with barry leaving if he wants to go, its no surprise to us like at this stage

i just think liverpool have handled it pathetically so we should point blank refuse to deal with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Alonso for Barry, no thanks. He's not player consistently well for a while now.

We really need to beat Wigan now, we need to show the spirit from last week now.

well i cant see Chelsea and Utd being interested in him.

Arsenal, maybe, but i'd be suprised.

So if he wants out, which he seems to, you may not have any choice. beggars cant be chosers and all that.

again, just to reiterate, the echo is not Liverpools paper, in fact relations between the club and paper havent been great since Hicks and Gillette have arrived, the 2 yanks havent been particularly impressed with some of the cover they've recieved :) Liverpool have yet to confirm any bid/or even interest, in gareth barry.

The only clu to comment on the situation is you own.

but dont let that stop you wit your hatred (which was in place long before this incident)

God damn Wigan

• Advertisement

again, just to reiterate, the echo is not Liverpools paper, in fact relations between the club and paper havent been great since Hicks and Gillette have arrived

bloke i know is tight with an echo writer, youre full of bull

the paper gets everything liverpool want put into the public domain and run it

2-0 to Wigan :(

i'm just stating wat i've been informed by people from Liverpool (some of whom have been going to games with TB for years)

So if he wants out, which he seems to, you may not have any choice. beggars cant be chosers and all that.

Example of Liverpool arrogance #394934

he has 2 years on his contract

Villa have plenty of money & dont need to sell

MON doesnt take ****

If Liverpool are the only option then it will be for full cash value, and if i were going to buy an England Midfield regular i wouldnt be expecting much change out of 20-25 Million, Can Liverpool afford that? (thats cash not Crouch, Pennant and the rest of your deadwood)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

As usual, we bottle it every time it looks like we might have a chance of going somewhere. Gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I hope Rafa is happy now

Esse85 wrote: »
    I hope Rafa is happy now

are you Neil Warnock?

If Liverpool are the only option then it will be for full cash value

yup thats the fact of the matter, if liverpool want gareth barry theyll pay what we value him at, and not a penny less

we dont need to sell, so if our valuation isnt met, we dont sell

simple as that

i'm just stating wat i've been informed by people from Liverpool (some of whom have been going to games with TB for years)

really?

i couldve sworn you were putting something across as first hand fact there the way you said it

fairly quickly backtracked on your "factual statement" to turn it into a "well thats just what i heard" statement

Example of Liverpool arrogance #394934

he has 2 years on his contract

Villa have plenty of money & dont need to sell

There is nothing arrogant about wat i said.

there is not a club in the world, Real-Utd-Liverpool-Milan, who can realistically keep onto a player if they want to leave.

Stating that is not arrogant. If he wants to leave for a CL club, Villa may well be forced to deal with Liverpool.

I am not talking about valuations, this was simply in response to Helix saying that MON should refuse to deal with Liverpool.

• Advertisement

really?

i couldve sworn you were putting something across as first hand fact there the way you said it

fairly quickly backtracked on your "factual statement" to turn it into a "well thats just what i heard" statement

I'll rephrase it then, thats wat i heard of people who know what they are talking about, people who know the institutions and people involved, therefore people i trust a hell of a lot more than you.

I'll rephrase it then, thats wat i heard of people who know what they are talking about, people who know the institutions and people involved, therefore people i trust a hell of a lot more than you.

as opposed to a bloke who actually works for the echo? lol

Arguing over which of you knows someone more reliable is fairly silly.

this was simply in response to Helix saying that MON should refuse to deal with Liverpool.

we should

simple as that

a complete and utter refusal to deal with liverpool football club this close season

very true DSB.

Helix; you always strike me as being very angry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Stating that is not arrogant. If he wants to leave for a CL club, Villa may well be forced to deal with Liverpool.

Given the state of your club at the moment and the momentum ours has gathered, (16th to 6th in two seasons) I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you lot will be forced to deal with Villa when Liverpool players want to play for a CL club in a couple of seasons.

On a more current note, this scoreline surely ends our hopes of UEFA Cup football this year. And with this sort of result at home against a team like Wigan, I can't say we've deserved much better. Its all well and good hammering teams 6-0 but if this is our level of consistency then I'm absolutely disgusted. If we'd lost it in the game against West Ham that'd be bearable, but this result is an absolute joke.

DSB wrote: »
    this scoreline surely ends our hopes of UEFA Cup football this year

probably but not definitely

we need everton to lose to arsenal and draw to newcastle while we beat west ham

thatll get us 5th

probably but not definitely

we need everton to lose to arsenal and draw to newcastle while we beat west ham

thatll get us 5th
    No it won't.

• Advertisement

Also Blackburn could beat us to the Intertoto Cup spot which would be a total disaster!

DSB wrote: »
    No it won't.

oh shizzle youre right, it wont

they need to lose both dont they

bugger

If this is the way we react, when we're in desperate need of a win then we really don't deserve to be in Europe anyway. Sick feeling in my stomach right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

That's us gone for 5th tbh.

However, not all is lost. Birmingham look like they've lost to Fulham. Score.

Blackburn will beat Derby which puts them a point behind us. They'll be playing Brum next week so could drop points, but anyway all we have to do is beat West Ham for Intertoto, since Portsmouth look like losing today as well.

Still, 2-0 is a shocking result.

Yeah but Man City are on 55 points with a game in hand so if Villa lose to West Ham & Blackburn fail to win then City get the Intertoto Cup place if the can win their last two games.

This probably puts an end to the Barry saga also, too. Can't see him wanting to stay now.

• Advertisement

Antithetic wrote: »
    Given the state of your club at the moment and the momentum ours has gathered, (16th to 6th in two seasons) I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you lot will be forced to deal with Villa when Liverpool players want to play for a CL club in a couple of seasons.

haha

i aint gonna lose sleep over it

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Ken-Wardius/Silhouette-of-Man-Fishing-Vilas-City-WI-Photographic-Print-C12711448.jpeg

unless everton lose both their remaining games they should come fifth. Meanwhile Villa now arent sure of Intertoto having to at minimum do better or equal to Blackburn in the final gae of the season to make it certain.

its still in our own hands anyway

if we dont get the intertoto we have nobody to blame but ourselves

There is nothing arrogant about wat i said.

Are you sure about that? using the phrase "beggars cant be choosers" about Villa and Barry sounds to me like a very arrogant turn of phrase as if the club will be forced to sell Barry to Liverpool.

They dont have to sell him. Simple. Only serious money will change that. money i doubt Liverpool have.

As for todays result, disaster!

unless everton lose both their remaining games they should come fifth. Meanwhile Villa now arent sure of Intertoto having to at minimum do better or equal to Blackburn in the final gae of the season to make it certain.

Don't forget about Man City (see my post above).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement