Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hoyte is an average at absolute best player, but imo he's poor.

Sidwell, SWP, Ben Haim, Huntelaar would all be great signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I know this was a bit of an off topic discussion, but regarding this concept of a "top 4" - this is not static. If/when Fergie retires, if Wenger leaves, if Roman pulls the plug and or if Liverpool's shambolic owners move the club to Houston, the dynamics of the league will be thrown wide open. So to say Villa might break into the top 4, I'd be more inclined to be referring to league positions, rather than a little clique of specific clubs whose followers seem to believe their teams have an eternal god-given right to CL football.

Today's result was depressing to say the least, but I'd go along with a lot of the sentiments being expressed here, that perhaps it is too early for Eurpoe for Villa (although that does pose the question as to why MON bothered entering the intertoto if he shares this view).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I agree that we're not ready for Europe but at the same time Europe would attract a better calibre of player. So...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

In Yesterday's match their keeper totally outshun Carson. Admitadly I havent watched as much of Villa this season as I would of liked mainly due to having to play matchs on saturdays. But when was the last time Carson pulled off a save that essentially gained us some points? He's a decent keeper but I think he'd be on line with Taylor to be honest, nothing special from what I've seen.

Obviously yesterday was extremely dissappointing, we just bottled it really, Gaby had two great chances but unfortunately it looks like he has the left foot of a right footed sunday leaguer. Things just didnt really work for us yesterday, we had no width and everytime Young got the ball he was getting taken out of it, it took him out of the game and he had no impact.
    Obviously mon doesnt believe that Routledge is ready yet otherwise I see no reason why we dont play our widest right wing player in situations where a bit of width is required.

Anyone think yesterday could of been a situation where Harewood was brought on for Petrov sticking Gaby wide right and Young Wide left, with Reo-coker and Barry in the middle?

I'd be greatly disappointed if we didn't finished sixth at this stage, that said I think its a 50/50 chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=20405060%26siteID=93463-name_page.html
    Christian Poulsen anyone? newest player to be linked to the Villa

Also the U18s just beat Man City U18s 2-0 at VP to win the Academy League Final.

• Advertisement

Good news as Everton lost today, I know its an outside shot but we still could end up in fifth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JPA wrote: »
    I think we'll sign a much higher calibre of player than most of them.

i think youre going to be very very disappointed so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

What are the odds of Villa beating West Ham and Newcastle beating Everton next weekend? Very slim I would imagine, but Villa could just nick it on goal difference..........but after yesterdays lifeless performance I'm not really optimistic (fingers crossed though!)

if we win and they lose we're guarenteed it on goal difference coz we're both on +20 at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yes that is true, however for that to happen 2 things must materialize:
    1. Villa have to beat West Ham away. Hmmm...tricky one.
    2. Everton have to lose at home to Newcastle. No so sure there either.

At this stage even a point would do Everton so I can't see it happening tbh but if it did it would be quite a late smash and grab show.

So we're facing a very respectable 6th, with some big questions to be asked in the Summer. Itsssssssssssssssssssssss Groundhog day!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Quote from F365:

BARRY TOLD TO LEAVE FOR POOL BY VILLA TEAM-MATE
    Martin O'Neill is going to love this. After accusing Liverpool of "destabilising" Villa by bidding £10m for Gareth Barry, the Ulsterman is now having to contend with one of his players telling Barry to leave for Anfield!

Patrik Berger, who played for Liverpool between 1996 and 2003, has urged Barry to accept "the chance of a lifetime" and move north.

"If I was in Gareth's position I would go tomorrow," Berger continued in an interview with the Daily Mail. "It is the opportunity of a lifetime. He is the heart of our team and it would be a massive challenge for him."

Cheers Patrick. You twat. That really doesn't help.

Wow talk about the easiest way to become the most hated man in half of birmingham....

In contrast...
    John Carew believes Gareth Barry will snub the lure of Champions League football at Liverpool to lead Villa's continued revival.
    The Norwegian international striker is convinced skipper Barry will stay this summer because 'Villa is in his heart.'
    Martin O'Neill reacted furiously on Friday as news of Liverpool's bid for England international Barry was made public just 24 hours before the vital home game with Wigan.
    Now Carew shares his manager's determination to keep Barry at the club. He said: "I think Gareth will stay here, hopefully. I haven't given it that much thought, but Villa is in his heart.
    "I haven't spoken to him. But I feel he will stay and hopefully we can offer him the platform. I just hope he stays."
    Thumbs up to the Hulk, Patrik can feck off.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Patrick Berger is some muppet, his most notable contribution to the Villa this season has been telling Barry to leave Villa:mad:. MON should never have given that crock another contract.

Im beginning to really warm to Carew in recent times.

I can see why some posters are saying Barry would be an ideal Arsenal signing given that Flamini is now seemingly set for Milan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/05/05/ufnflamini205.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We're reported to be interested in him as well.

Neither of us will get him.

AS reported he'll be at Barcelona next year. I'm inclined to agree.
    I can see why some posters are saying Barry would be an ideal Arsenal signing given that Flamini is now seemingly set for Milan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/05/05/ufnflamini205.xml

I really really really can't see Wenger paying anything near your valuation for a 27 year-old English midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I really really really can't see Wenger paying anything near your valuation for a 27 year-old English midfielder.

Helix can give Wenger and MON a ring and broker the deal, so as to avoid doing business with Liverpool ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We're reported to be interested in him as well.

Neither of us will get him.

AS reported he'll be at Barcelona next year. I'm inclined to agree.

Haha, should have checked the thread started by my man in Madrid (on Spurs site) before posting that.

POulsen now denying contact with Barca, Barca reported to be in for Alves and Maresca from Sevilla but not Poulsen.

Think Poulsen rumour is based on Michael Laudrup being #2 choice to replace Rijkaard at Barca after the Special One, and assuming he'd want his fellow countryman.

Still don't see Poulsen moving to England unless it's at a CL side.

Meh another lazy bank holiday weekend rumour, still waiting for Zidane at QPR. There is still one game left and something to play for no matter how unlikely. So anything now is mere speculation.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/03/19/aston-villa-are-lining-up-a-5m-move-for-valencia-s-miguel-89520-20355910/

only the Mirror but another link to another Portugese RB, this time and not for the first time tis Miguel. Seems everyone's trying to raid Valencia atm with them lanquishing in 15th in La Liga

According to F365 today:

"'POOL WINNING BATTLE FOR BARRY'
    According to The Independent, 'Liverpool are winning the battle to sign Gareth Barry with the player himself having made the decision to sign for Rafael Benitez's club this summer rather than agree a new contract at Aston Villa.'

While the deal itself is said to be 'complicated' with the clubs unable yet to agree a fee, the newspaper reckons that 'Barry's wishes will, in all likelihood, force Villa into doing a deal eventually.'

Barry is said to regard a move to Anfield as being 'in his best interests even though he is likely to be asked by Benitez to fulfil a role on the left side of midfield and defence rather than in the centre - where he has established himself for England.'

Pool offered a 'mish-mash' of players in exchange for Barry, but it is not thought that Peter Crouch, the one player on the Anfield who Villa really value, was included on the list."

Things aren't looking good. Think I'll blame Patrick Berger for this one. This will be a massive blow for the club if it happens, and will leave O'Neill with another hole to fill in the summer.

I wonder what 'mish-mash' of Liverpool players have been offered. I suppose whether MON wants Carson or not is the key. Personally wouldn't take him. I think Pennant is the only player that would really improve our team. Finnan maybe, but I think we can get younger and better elsewhere. Would take Crouch I suppose, assuming he's happy to sit on the bench, and the same with Carson!

Arrgghh! Can't belive we're gonna lose Barry! I think we will now need 2 CM, a RM, a RB (well 2 RBs but lets be realistic),a CD, a striker or two, and GK or two.

• Advertisement

Wow that sucks. To be honest I doubt GB would of made his mind up because of what Berger said, I think he was always leaving no matter what happened on the transfer front in the summer.
    As someone said before it may be a sliver lined cloud as now MON will have to get his finger out at the start of the summer to make sure we have players in.

Is it bitter of me to hope that Liverpool crash and burn now and Barry rues the day he's left the mighty Villa.

shoutman wrote: »
    Is it bitter of me to hope that Liverpool crash and burn now and Barry rues the day he's left the mighty Villa.

Yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If Barry is replacing Alonso its a step back for Liverpool's push to try and get near Chelsea and Utd

he's not replacing Alonso, Alonso said the other day he wont be leaving.

If Barry comes he will be competing with Alonso,Mascherano and Lucas, for two spots in the centre behind Gerrard, as well as probably providing cover at LB and LM.

Well I like Barry and I hope he stays but if he leaves I think we can replace him, he's had a great season but perhaps MON has got the very best out of him as he has done with so many players he has managed. Liverpool signing him surprises me as I thought they would be looking to sign a midfielder of the Torres class.

We did in Jan, his name is Tommy Mascherano :)

CM isnt our problem area.

i think most will agree a choice of Gerrard,Alonso,Mascherano,Barry,Lucas would be as strong as pretty much any team in the league.

Mascherano is in that class but as a defensive midfielder, I meant as an attacking midfielder playmaker, of the Jan Molby John Barnes type

not really the place to discuss this. i'll drop ya a PM

barry being signed as a left back would be an awful waste

• Advertisement

To be honest I don't really understand why Liverpool are buying Barry. As you said Alan, Gerrard is gonna start, and Masca is better as a DM than Barry. It also says in the piece that I quoted that Rafa would ask him to fill in at LM or LB. This poses another question if it is true: why would they spend £12-18m on a player when they're not going to play him in his strongest position?

Also I don't understand why Barry would go there. He may or may not get his game there, and, no disrespect to Liverpool (I'm not having a bitter pop) but I think they are a good way off the other 3 in the top 4. The only team I could understand him joining is Arsenal.

Have to agree, removing my Villa cap for a minute, I can understand why Barry would want to move to a CL club, aint much mystery there tbh. But I'm not sure sure why Liverpool are after him, he is a class act in the role he has at Villa, not so good at LB or outside Left so why Rafa would buy him just to play him there I really don't know.

Any Villa fan will tell you Barry is at his best when given something of a free role to orchestrate and pull some strings and that's when he is most effective. It has to be said he is mostly ineffective when played at LB, just doesn't look the same player.

I still think he'd be mad to move, considering all the off-field problems they have had all season long, it's not a great time to join Liverpool IMHO.

To be honest I don't really understand why Liverpool are buying Barry. As you said Alan, Gerrard is gonna start, and Masca is better as a DM than Barry.

But the system we are playing now involves another midfielder alongside Mascherano and Gerrard. Barry could fit into that role perfectly, providing competition for Alonso.
    Also I don't understand why Barry would go there. He may or may not get his game there

He'll play a lot if he moves imo.
    no disrespect to Liverpool (I'm not having a bitter pop) but I think they are a good way off the other 3 in the top 4

I disagree, the gap has been narrowed significantly this year on last and there is only a handful of points between ourselves and Arsenal, we have also finished ahead of them the last 2 seasons, as well as being quite consitantly excellent in the CL and improving steadily in the league. So imo, i would place us on a par with Arsenal. Who also seem to be having a little difficulty keeping their team together.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I disagree, the gap has been narrowed significantly this year on last and there is only a handful of points between ourselves and Arsenal, we have also finished ahead of them the last 2 seasons, as well as being quite consitantly excellent in the CL and improving steadily in the league. So imo, i would place us on a par with Arsenal. Who also seem to be having a little difficulty keeping their team together.
    Similarly, the is only a "handful of points" between Liverpool and Everton, with Villa a few points off that. I could understand if Villa were lingering in the bottom half of the table, but leaving a team in 6th to join a team in 4th isn't really a huge leap when you take off the tinted specs. Liverpool are the better side by some distance, but the Top 2 are some distance ahead. I agree with Kevin Keegan's view, that there ain't no competing with Man U or Chelsea but it looks like there's almost 3 divisions now, ManU/Chelsea then Liverpool/Arsenal then about 6 teams all fighting for one UEFA spot. It would make for a better league if those gaps were narrowed, but I can't see it happening for the foreseeable future anyway.

Savman wrote: »
    Similarly, the is only a "handful of points" between Liverpool and Everton, with Villa a few points off that.

That few points makes all the difference.
    I could understand if Villa were lingering in the bottom half of the table, but leaving a team in 6th to join a team in 4th isn't really a huge leap when you take off the tinted specs.

Its a pretty huge gap when you consider in the last 4 years we've been in two CL finals, winning one, and another CL Semi final. Playing the likes of Barca, Juve, Inter, AC etc.

I'd imagine Barry views that as quite different to life at Villa.
    Liverpool are the better side by some distance, but the Top 2 are some distance ahead..

Agreed.

Hoping Rafa can bridge that a bit more this summer bringing us closer again!
    It would make for a better league if those gaps were narrowed, but I can't see it happening for the foreseeable future anyway.

Agree.

And btw, Keegan said that the gap between the top 4 and the rest is too far for anyone to bridge, not the top 2.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    And btw, Keegan said that the gap between the top 4 and the rest is too far for anyone to bridge, not the top 2.
    Yes he did specify 'Top 4' - it was my own view that the 'Top 2' are difficult to compete with.

Case in point, 11pts separate Liverpool with ManU/Chelsea. 11pts separate Everton with Liverpool. So, although you can say Liverpool can catch the Top 2, it's just as easy for the rest of us to suggest Everton, Villa & co. can catch Liverpool. It's a big a task for us as it is for you catching them, catch my drift?

Everyone is chasing everyone else, and there's always someone breathing down your neck, kinda what PL footy is all about tbh. In previous seasons I would find myself looking at who was behind Villa, constantly looking over our shoulder. This season we were less concerned with those behind us and more obsessed with those above us. I think that's both the good and bad points of success, you are always looking up at the stars but you overlook the constant threat that comes from below. I think Spurs could be considered an example of this head in the clouds syndrome.

• Advertisement

It has to be said, MON seems to be breathing fire this week.
    avfc.co.uk wrote:
    Patrik Berger has played his last game for Villa - despite apologising for media remarks urging Gareth Barry to join Barclays Premier League rivals Liverpool. Martin O'Neill was unhappy as the Czech midfielder was widely quoted yesterday telling Barry not to pass up on the opportunity of a move to Anfield.
    The Villa boss spoke to Berger this morning and has now ruled him out of contention for Sunday's finale at West Ham.
    He told www.avfc.co.uk: "I was really disappointed and surprised that Patrik, with all his experience of dealing with the press, would make such an inappropriate comment.
    "The sad aspect of it is that we are paying Patrik's wages for him to recommend one of our players to another football club. It's ludicrous.
    "I think Pat realises that now and he's apologised.He said he didn't mean a great deal of harm but the harm's been done and he won't be playing any part in proceedings from here on in."
    Barry'll prolly still go, but the man in charge is not one to be messed around with and that defo gives a real sense of pride about the club. Let us not forget who was the catalyst in getting 'wee' Gareth back into the England set-up....hey may not owe Villa anything but one could argue Barry owes MON some level of loyalty.

thats good maybe now Maloney will actually be on the bench, haing Berger ahead of despite the comments he made was crazy IMO

Berger has done a pretty impressive job of being a muppet with his outrageous comments about Barry. Good Riddance to him!

Interesting times happening at VP, first potential turbulent situation in English football for the Lerner regime, this Barry situation has been bubbling away for a while but little has been said by Barry directly yet, lets see how well run Villa are now.

It's nothing got to do with Villa now tbh, if Gareth Barry wants Champions League football, he has to leave Villa Park, that's a given. If he can live without CL footie but be at the centre of a club on the up, then I'm sure MON & Randy will throw out a lucrative package to keep him at VP.

There's nothing more to it really, the player holds all the cards but if he did leave I wouldn't write Villa off just yet because O'Neill is the man behind our revolution and I dread the day he gets poached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow, don't cross O'Neill, eh? Fit of pique!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Berger was on his way out anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed which is why MON did it. I don't even think Rafa is going to buy him now.

Mike.

Sky news reporting this morning that Mon has stated keeping Barry is as important as signing anyone during the summer

I hope this doesnt mean if barry stays he thinks he doesnt have to sign anyone lol.

i see ollie is giving every single travelling villa fan a free signed villa jersey after the west ham game, paid for from his own pocket

the bloke is a hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Berger has sat on his hole for 3 years and done nothing for Villa. A bad bad signing and his comments dont surprise me at all. Mind you I can't imagine his advice would be taken seriously by a thorough pro like Barry.
    Well done MON you done the right thing!

Helix wrote: »
    i see ollie is giving every single travelling villa fan a free signed villa jersey after the west ham game, paid for from his own pocket

the bloke is a hero

What a legend. We'll miss you Olaf.

Mellberg - Legend

ends.

yeah saw that apparently he got 4,000 half sweden half Villa Jersies made up to be given out to the away support at West Ham this weekend for the legend that is Olaf's last stand.

go on the bearded one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

yeah saw that apparently he got 4,000 half sweden half Villa Jersies made up to be given out to the away support at West Ham this weekend for the legend that is Olaf's last stand.

go on the bearded one

Amazing gesture.
    Definitely a case of following his head rather than his heart by going to Juve.

anyone who has setanta, the reserve playoff vs Liverpool is on LFC.TV tonight at 7.30

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement