Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

just settling down to watch it now meself

no delfouneso in the starting lineup

team is:

taylor

lund
    clark
    lowry
    baker

maloney
    herd
    osbourne
    routledge

harewood
    salifou

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Liverpool 1-0 up (feck!)

Half Time:

Loads of space being afforded to both teams out there and it seems like there is more goals in this game. Herd came close and argueably should have done better when he hit the post but unfortunatley despite Villa comingmoe into it as thehalf went on, the only goal at Anfield was scored by nemeth so at half time its 1-0 to Liverpool.

can defo see there being 2 or 3 more goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Helix wrote: »

no delfouneso in the starting lineup

He is on now.

was just comin into post that

good stuff

mon is down on the villa bench now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

MON is a funny one, effing and blinding in the managers box. Fair play I suppose, but they have a manager for a reason..

love O'Neil this is a prime example of how much the guy really cares about managing Villa... its not just a job to him

• Advertisement

salifou just hit the bar from 20 yards

2-0 Snit!

definitely dont deserve to be 2 behind, but we're looking toothless up top

in that case we dont deserve to be 3-0 down now

have to admit was a lovely goal though finished by Lucas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Interesting, comments from MON:
    The Villa manager will hold further talks with Barry after Sunday's final league match at West Ham United but, with the owner Randy Lerner's support, is optimistic that he can persuade the 27-year-old to sign a new contract and reject Liverpool's advances. "Keeping him at Aston Villa is as important as anything we do in the transfer market," said O'Neill, who persuaded Barry to turn down a move to Portsmouth two years ago when he first took over.

"I must clarify this point, as we speak, we are a million miles away [from Barry joining Liverpool]," said O'Neill, who was upset that details of the bid were leaked on Merseyside. "At the moment, it would be like me offering £20m for [Lionel] Messi. Barcelona would say, 'So what?' That's not saying that Messi would want to come." Asked whether Liverpool's bid undervalued Barry, O'Neill replied: "Absolutely, without question. This lad is playing for England."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/08/astonvilla.premierleague

Seems MON has set his stall out, He stays if Liverpool (or anyone else) dont match his valuation. which no doubt is high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he was asked at Stamford Bridge before the CL game against Chelsea by a group of scouse lads when he was coming to Liverpool, to which he replied...."when Liverpool cough up £40million" :) funny lad that MON

Thierry Henry left Arsenal last year for £16m.

I'd value Barry at that,at the very maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

How much would you value Crouch at Mr Alan?

Rafa seems to think that £15m for the lad is not "unreasonable"

If crouch is worth £15million surely Barry is worth a lot more than that.

Henry and Crouch are worlds apart when it comes to current footballing ability.

i'd value crouch at 14million.

but i dont think we'd get that for him, i'd imagine we'll get about 11 if he is sold.

Crouch has been a better player for England than Barry has. As well as scoring regularly in the CL and league whenever played. Why is Barry surely worth a lot more?

cant really compare the two players tbh, different positions etc.

Barry is worth 20 million sterling minimum.

Using Carrick & Hargreaves as a template, Barry is currently playing more regular club & international football then either. As well as that he is club captain. Has more assists and is a more versatile player (LB-CB-CM-LMF).

On top of that the inconvenience of losing him and replacing him means that MON would be wise to push closer for £25m.

Hopefully Rafa will read Mr. Alans valuation of Crouch and Barry and propose a direct swap, MON and Villa fans need a good laugh:pac:

Barry has always played well for England. I rate crouch as a player but at the same time don't think he is all that much better then Carew.

Barry on the other hand is near irreplacable when it comes to Villa, tell me of another player with the passing ability of Barry, another midfielder who can control the tempo of the game like Barry does, who has the leadership skills of him, who has the potential to score an absolute cracker of a goal (at home to spurs last year anyone?), who has the adaptability of Barry, although he's not a quality left back he would definately be better then the majority of left backs in the premiership.
    Find me another Gaz Baz plz.

find me another Crouch?!:) no pics of that kid from Southpark in response please!

I get wat you're saying about Barry, but I'm sure there is players out there who could replace him. think of the likes of Alonso,Arteta,Carrick etc i dont mean those actual players but, players ready to make the step up to that level, thats how the transfer market works :)

I'd rate Barry a little higher than Crouch in transfer value. Rafa saying 15 million for Crouch, but we know he'll probably end up selling for 10-13, MON saying 20 million odd for Barry, probably go for 14-17 million

• Advertisement

still think Barry will be wearing the Claret and Blue of Aston Villa next year.

still think Barry will be wearing the Claret and Blue of Aston Villa next year.

wouldnt be suprised.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    find me another Crouch?!:) no pics of that kid from Southpark in response please!

Nikola Zigic The Giant Serb playing for Valencia? 2.02 m (6 ft 7+1⁄2 in)

I get wat you're saying about Barry, but I'm sure there is players out there who could replace him. think of the likes of Alonso,Arteta,Carrick etc i dont mean those actual players but, players ready to make the step up to that level, thats how the transfer market works :)

I'd rate Barry a little higher than Crouch in transfer value. Rafa saying 15 million for Crouch, but we know he'll probably end up selling for 10-13, MON saying 20 million odd for Barry, probably go for 14-17 million

Barry is sought after because of his left foot. He is a great player but i'd imagine either Liverpool or Villa would only have to go to the continent and find a similar type player but for a lot cheaper price. Thats why hopefully MON will scare Liverpool off with a high price. if they do end up paying £20m+, then everyone will be happy.

Nikola Zigic The Giant Serb playing for Valencia? 2.02 m (6 ft 7+1⁄2 in)

wat a stupid post.

so are all players of Barrys height an adequete replacement?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

MON is really showing his pedigree as a top manager in this whole debacle. The way he told Liverpool to effectively f*** off with their pitiful first offer, but at the same time being pragmatic enough to assure a great player that he won't hold him back from moving to a bigger club. We will now get a good price for Barry, or a hold on to the player, and not in such a way that he is discontented to stay.

MON is showing that he has pride in his job, pride in the club and pride in his players. Kudos to the man.

wat a stupid post.

so are all players of Barrys height an adequete replacement?!

actually (i admit i dont watch enough La Liga to be sure this is true) but from what ive heard he is very crouch like and prefers the ball at his feet and to not be used just as a target man. Howeverr he is often used that way anyway.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    MON is really showing his pedigree as a top manager in this whole debacle.MON is showing that he has pride in his job, pride in the club and pride in his players. Kudos to the man.

wat was he showing undermining the reserve manager last night?

wat was he showing complaining about Liverpools actions in this instance when he is the first and only person from either club to confirm the story?

wat was he showing when complaining how the story had grown arms and legs in the papers? but at the same time, not shutting up about if for days?

I'm just cusious?:)

i like MON but i wouldnt call the last week his finest hour.

I rate Carew as a far better target man than Crouch. Crouch's heading is muck, so you have to play the majority of balls into his chest, which completely negates the height advantage he holds over defenders. Add to that the fact that Carew is far stronger, can hold off players superbly and while Crouch is skillful with the ball at his feet, Carew's touch and through balls are far more effective assets for Villa's pacy attack.

wat was he showing complaining about Liverpools actions in this instance when he is the first and only person from either club to confirm the story?

wat was he showing when complaining how the story had grown arms and legs in the papers? but at the same time, not shutting up about if for days?

a) How much he fukcin cares (not the irst time he has sat on the bench with the reserves) and i doubt the reserve manager felt undermined and B)That he knows how to use the Media... be it true or not the general feeling is that Pool leaked the story to the press and that MON told them to fup right off via the same medium and in doing so setting his stall out in the whole Barry deal so that as it comes across just as Neil3030 suggests.

• Advertisement

And in comparison I think this has been Benitez's strongest week yet as a manager. He wins shag all, bellyflops out of the CL, but avoids ANY flack by whipping up an immediate transfer whirlwind potentially at the expense of Villa's season.

PR masterstroke if you ask me...

avoids ANY flack by whipping up an immediate transfer whirlwind potentially at the expense of Villa's season.

Where did he whip anything up? Links to interviews? etc? didnt think so.

Stop looking for excuses if your season doesnt go as planned.

Dont act so coy scouse fan. we all know that Liverpool have done nothing *officially* to unsettle Barry, but have used all other means available to get their man. The whole Barry saga has been quite distasteful and amateurish on Liverpools part.

MON came as close to telling Liverpool to go **** themselves and their **** offer as he can in a polite & affable manner last Friday.

Oh come off it, all that was needed was a move and a leak and this thing was going to explode he didn't need to be seen to do anything.

And yeah, we've heard your theory: your girlfriend's mate's ma's neighbour's dogminder's brother's boss once looked over some guys shoulder at a paper that may or may not have been the Liverpool Echo so therefore you can prove conclusively how they got the story and it certainly wasn't from Rafa.

I know your allegiences lie with Liverpool, but you have to look at this objectively - he might state his innocence in conferences and the like, claiming he knows nothing and will discuss things later - but you simply cannot trust a man who claims to be Spanish, but both (a) has quite possibly the most Irish head on the planet and (b) looks like shifty culchie car-dealer at mass when he wears a suit.

You've provided nothing to refute my point that this was damage limitation - "quick lads make a move for someone QUICK, so I'm seen to be doing something."

And in comparison I think this has been Benitez's strongest week yet as a manager. He wins shag all, bellyflops out of the CL, but avoids ANY flack by whipping up an immediate transfer whirlwind potentially at the expense of Villa's season.

PR masterstroke if you ask me...

Classic Liverpool if you ask me. I believe the tactic of getting the press whip up a storm about a potential transfer target was pioneered by Shankly himself if Liverpool had a bad result back in the day. (read it in some Autobiography.)

*edit* its already been mentioned methinks that Villa were charged by the FA a few years ago after some DOL comments on Beattie when Villa were trying to sign him. Hopefully when this saga is sorted one way or the other Villa will make some sort of complaint to the powers that be to clamp down on the type of behaviour shown by Liverpool.(think Gen Krulak said Villa will look into it).

Classic Liverpool if you ask me. I believe the tactic of getting the press whip up a storm about a potential transfer target was pioneered by Shankly himself if Liverpool had a bad result back in the day. (read it in some Autobiography.)

*edit* its already been mentioned methinks that Villa were charged by the FA a few years ago after some DOL comments on Beattie when Villa were trying to sign him. Hopefully when this saga is sorted one way or the other Villa will make some sort of complaint to the powers that be to clamp down on the type of behaviour shown by Liverpool it only disgraces themselves.(think Gen Krulak said Villa will look into it)

Yeah, that sign they all touch before going on the pitch at Anfield probably has some "Break in Case of Emergency" function that alerts the local press.

Their bill for replacing frames must be immense :D

Yeah, that sign they all touch before going on the pitch at Anfield probably has some "Break in Case of Emergency" function that alerts the local press.

Their bill for replacing frames must be immense :D

If i were at Anfield i would touch that sign with my genitals. when asked why i'd do it, i'd reply "isnt that the Liverpool way?".

On a serious note, i used to have a lot of respect for Liverpool. ive read lots on their history and their glorious heyday of old (im a football nerd). but H&G, Parry & Benitez are doing their best to drag the clubs name through the mud. This Barry saga shows Liverpool are like a poor mans Chelsea when it comes to unsettling players(literally;)).

If i were at Anfield i would touch that sign with my genitals. when asked why i'd do it, i'd reply "isnt that the Liverpool way?".

Nah, far too juvenille.

I'd wait until the teams were about to line up, and when nobody's looking stick up a "THIS IS GOODISON PARK" sign over it, and then watch as their players panick that they'd turned up at the wrong stadium...

Nah, far too juvenille.

I'd wait until the teams were about to line up, and when nobody's looking stick up a "THIS IS GOODISON PARK" sign over it, and then watch as their players panick that they'd turned up at the wrong stadium...

You are correct. If i were to do things in the Liverpool way then i'd steal the sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Stop looking for excuses if your season doesnt go as planned.
    People in glass houses....

Skysports.com understands Aston Villa are lining up a double raid on Leicester for Joe Mattock and Richard Stearman.

Villa are hoping to capitalise on Leicester's relegation from the Championship by luring the highly-rated duo away from the Walkers Stadium.

Mattock and Stearman were two of Leicester's shining lights in a disappointing campaign and a number of clubs flocked to the Walkers Stadium to watch the pair throughout the season.

The defensive duo are regarded as two of the most promising players in England and tipped for big futures in the game.

17-year-old Mattock was the subject of a failed bid from West Ham during the January transfer window and he is the second youngster ever player to represent England Under 21s.

Right-back Stearman is also a member of the England Under 21 set-up and he won Leicester's player of the year award this term.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has been tabs on the pair all season and he sees Stearman as an ideal replacement for Juventus-bound Olof Mellberg.

A number of other Premier Legaue clubs are also monitoring the pair with Tottenham and Sunderland ready to enter the race for the duo.

Leicester know they face a fight to keep hold of the prized duo as a result of their relegation and they could be forced to sell to the highest bidders.

actually would like to see them sign, highly rated England U-21s to bolster the squad in positions where we have nobody (RB) or no backup (LB). Of course remember that youth players have to come from somewhere and if they are good enough a club like Villa will sign them a la Tim Cahill at Millwall/Everton (not hat he was 17 or anything) i.e just cos they may come fro Leicster does not mean championship quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

They'd be all well and good for the future, but Villa need players who can come in and improve the squad straight away.

I'm not saying that MON isn't gonna go for anyone else, he knows that this is his chance to prove to the fans that he can do well in the transfer market.

So whose with me then that following tomorrows show down talks between Keegan and his board, leading to Keegan doing his thing and resigning, meaning that the last game against Everton will either have a caretaker or Keegan, being a professional, taking the team for one last game. Newcastle players rally around their manager and beat an already dishevelled Everton team at Goodison, maybe Owen to score a few(possibly his last game).

Meanwhile Villa are down in London beating an already on the beach West Ham sucker punched by Harewood(karma for same fixture 2years ago?)and sneaking and taking the UEFA cup spot?

So whose with me?

Come on the Villa!

Dont act so coy scouse fan. we all know that Liverpool have done nothing *officially* to unsettle Barry, but have used all other means available to get their man. The whole Barry saga has been quite distasteful and amateurish on Liverpools part.

MON came as close to telling Liverpool to go **** themselves and their **** offer as he can in a polite & affable manner last Friday.

Strange, far as i was aware MON didnt come as close to telling Liverpool to **** off, in fact according to Mr Benitez, the two have talked and agreed discussions are to commence after your last game :eek:

Barry was unsettled already. I know that and you know that.

I understand yous are not happy and i have sympathy towards the situation.

if you recall we were in a situation which bore some similarities not long ago ourselves, and i certainly didn't ever accuse Chelsea of tapping up Gerrard.

Player was unsettled, Chelsea made their interest known. Not a club in the world who wouldnt do it-the Villa/Barry/Liverpool story was only confirmed by MON and this lads, is a fact.

it would've been todays chip paper if he had of kept his beek shut. He didn't. You know why? cause he knows Barry wants to leave and he is trying to get as much as possible for him.

so get off your high horses. if anyone here is playing the media game, its MON.

and i still dont accept that Rafa/Parry even spun the story in the Echo. the Echo has been printing bogey transfer stories just like every other tabloid paper in England for as long as i can remember. Granted they are a decent source for some info, but they are still wrong more often than not. what differentiated this story from the other thousands that appear every year was your managers very public reaction to it.

I know your allegiences lie with Liverpool, but you have to look at this objectively - he might state his innocence in conferences and the like, claiming he knows nothing and will discuss things later - but you simply cannot trust a man who claims to be Spanish, but both (a) has quite possibly the most Irish head on the planet and (b) looks like shifty culchie car-dealer at mass when he wears a suit.

You've provided nothing to refute my point that this was damage limitation - "quick lads make a move for someone QUICK, so I'm seen to be doing something."

Rafa doesnt need to do "damage limitation" ...... at this current time he is the most powerful man at LFC. the owners are bickering in public, DIC want in, Parry wants to keep his job, the owners are trying to convince the fans they are right for the club.....only one man has the backing of the fans. Rafa. Whoever wants control of the club needs Rafa on their side. Hicks and Gillette have both discussed publically that they want to give Rafa a new contract and Parry has stated how he is only there to help Rafa.

So in conclusion, your "theory" holds no water.
    its already been mentioned methinks that Villa were charged by the FA a few years agoafter some DOL commentson Beattie when Villa were trying to sign him. Hopefully when this saga is sorted one way or the other Villa will make some sort of complaint to the powers that be to clamp down on the type of behaviour shown by Liverpool.(think Gen Krulak said Villa will look into it).

I've highlighted the difference between the two instances there to make this easy for you. Don't mention it.
    If i were at Anfield i would touch that sign with my genitals. when asked why i'd do it, i'd reply "isnt that the Liverpool way?".On a serious note, i used to have a lot of respect for Liverpool. ive read lots on their history and their glorious heyday of old (im a football nerd). but H&G, Parry & Benitez are doing their best to drag the clubs name through the mud. This Barry saga shows Liverpool are like a poor mans Chelsea when it comes to unsettling players(literally;)).

First of all, the first part above...seriously, are you 12?

Secondly.....i agree G&H are bad bad news for the club and tarnish the clubs good name. Parry, i can see where you're coming from, but genuinely, its not actually arrogance from him, he is just incompetent.

But i take a MAJOR exception to your slating of Rafa, rafa is a man of integrity and class imo, and is the best thing to happen to Liverpool since Kenny Dalglish. He is all about the liverpool way, and conducts himself 99.9% of the time in a perfect manner, this is one of the reasons he is so loved by the people of Liverpool, and who better to judge who acts in the best interests and follow the traditions of their club, you or them?
    Nah, far too juvenille.

Again, 12?
    You are correct. If i were to do things in the Liverpool way then i'd steal the sign.

If you said this same thing about a Romanian, Nigerian or traveller, you'd be banned.

apolgies for any typos above.

once we get 3 points i dont care what happens at goodison to be perfectly honest

if we dont win we're in SERIOUS trouble

• Advertisement

according to Mr Benitez, the two have talked and agreed discussions are to commence after your last game

i thought rafa made no comment on it?

the Echo has been printing bogey transfer stories just like every other tabloid paper in England for as long as i can remember. Granted they are a decent source for some info, but they are still wrong more often than not.

the echo print what theyre told to print by lfc

nothing they run is in there for no reason

i thought rafa made no comment on it?

He commented today. Rafa made no comment before MON, today being the first time he spoke publically, only to say they'll be chatting at the season end.

If we dont win it will be a big anticlimax of a season. Not the end of the world but very disappointing.

That said if we don't finish top six I can see all the naysayers coming out of the woodwork claiming that MON is not the man for the job etc....

Come on Villa!

the echo print what theyre told to print by lfc

nothing they run is in there for no reason

Wat about the ad for the new fans union (SOS), whose number 1 objective is to oust the americans, and then Parry not long after.

Strange they'd run an ad like that when Parry, rafa and the yanks call all the shots at the paper.

but its ok, you can choose to ignore that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement