Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

As long as we do our bit and beat West Ham ill be happy, if its ment to be then great.
    Im sure NRC and Harewood if he gets on will be eager to prove a point.

There's a lot of uncertainty regarding the manager and some of the players at West Ham so i really think their there for the taking and i expect us to collect 3 points and finish on a high.

I ll also say a big thank you to Mellberg, he's been a great servant to the club. £5m turned out to be a bargain for the big Swede, he will be missed and best wishes to the guy at Juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Strange, far as i was aware MON didnt come as close to telling Liverpool to **** off, in fact according to Mr Benitez, the two have talked and agreed discussions are to commence after your last game :eek:

Barry was unsettled already. I know that and you know that.

I understand yous are not happy and i have sympathy towards the situation.

if you recall we were in a situation which bore some similarities not long ago ourselves, and i certainly didn't ever accuse Chelsea of tapping up Gerrard.

Player was unsettled, Chelsea made their interest known. Not a club in the world who wouldnt do it-the Villa/Barry/Liverpool story was only confirmed by MON and this lads, is a fact.

it would've been todays chip paper if he had of kept his beek shut. He didn't. You know why? cause he knows Barry wants to leave and he is trying to get as much as possible for him.

so get off your high horses. if anyone here is playing the media game, its MON.

and i still dont accept that Rafa/Parry even spun the story in the Echo. the Echo has been printing bogey transfer stories just like every other tabloid paper in England for as long as i can remember. Granted they are a decent source for some info, but they are still wrong more often than not. what differentiated this story from the other thousands that appear every year was your managers very public reaction to it.

Rafa doesnt need to do "damage limitation" ...... at this current time he is the most powerful man at LFC. the owners are bickering in public, DIC want in, Parry wants to keep his job, the owners are trying to convince the fans they are right for the club.....only one man has the backing of the fans. Rafa. Whoever wants control of the club needs Rafa on their side. Hicks and Gillette have both discussed publically that they want to give Rafa a new contract and Parry has stated how he is only there to help Rafa.

So in conclusion, your "theory" holds no water.

I've highlighted the difference between the two instances there to make this easy for you. Don't mention it.

First of all, the first part above...seriously, are you 12?

Secondly.....i agree G&H are bad bad news for the club and tarnish the clubs good name. Parry, i can see where you're coming from, but genuinely, its not actually arrogance from him, he is just incompetent.

But i take a MAJOR exception to your slating of Rafa, rafa is a man of integrity and class imo, and is the best thing to happen to Liverpool since Kenny Dalglish. He is all about the liverpool way, and conducts himself 99.9% of the time in a perfect manner, this is one of the reasons he is so loved by the people of Liverpool, and who better to judge who acts in the best interests and follow the traditions of their club, you or them?

Again, 12?

If you said this same thing about a Romanian, Nigerian or traveller, you'd be banned.

apolgies for any typos above.

Wow chill good sir

1. I think MON going public was a statement of intent on his part. I think Benitez tried to chance his arm by offering a silly deal. MON called him on it publicly. If Benitez doesnt come to the table next week like you say with a good deal (in MONs eyes not Rafas) then MON might be more amenable?then that leads the onto the next question, do Liverpool have the guts to psend big money on barry?. thats what i doubt.

2. Barrys new Agent is the troublemaker, i have no doubt its him and Liverpool in whatever capacity starting the rumour mill. this isnt paranoia its a fact of life in football, teams do do it(discreetly). however Liverpool have been exceptionally clumsy.

3. football fans with un pc humour shocker! its banter, having a laugh etc, we're not cursing Allah tis just a sign:rolleyes:(second time today im regretting the demise of the rolleyes icon), this is the Villa thread, we dont have to talk in such *hushed* tones on such things that are not Villa related.

*edit*

4. of course i apoligise for daring to slur Rafas great name and the people of Liverpool by proxy, how dare i! wouldnt want the people of Liverpool after me(well the red half), did boris no harm though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Al says he's banned, and can't respond.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wasnt the Birmingham accent recently recognised as the stupidest sounding accent in britain?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/04/04/sciaccent104.xml

so is it right to start slagging villa and all brummies for being thick now? just as scousers are ridiculed for being thieves?

i think barry is definately going to leave villa, if not for liverpool then for another "big 4" club. tis a shame as he has been there wat? 14 years or something? (inc youth). he is the best player villa have and if they really want to be pushing for a CL spot or FA Cup then he will definately be missed. who would fans like to see replace him if he does leave?

Jazzy wrote: »
    wasnt the Birmingham accent recently recognised as the stupidest sounding accent in britain?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/04/04/sciaccent104.xml

so is it right to start slagging villa and all brummies for being thick now? just as scousers are ridiculed for being thieves?

Wow, what a tenuous connection to make:rolleyes: (third time, dam!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix wrote: »
    i thought rafa made no comment on it?

think you just acredited a quote from Mr Alan to me there for some reason :confused:

Jazzy wrote: »
    i think barry is definately going to leave villa, if not for liverpool then for another "big 4" club. tis a shame as he has been there wat? 14 years or something? (inc youth).

10 years, signed at 17 from Brighton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Lets leave the comments on regionalities at the door please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa doesnt need to do "damage limitation" ...... at this current time he is the most powerful man at LFC. the owners are bickering in public, DIC want in, Parry wants to keep his job, the owners are trying to convince the fans they are right for the club.....only one man has the backing of the fans. Rafa. Whoever wants control of the club needs Rafa on their side. Hicks and Gillette have both discussed publically that they want to give Rafa a new contract and Parry has stated how he is only there to help Rafa.

So in conclusion, your "theory" holds no water.

B.S. Do you actually believe that there's no connection whatsoever between this move being made and leaked, and Liverpool crashing out of the CL? The timing of the whole thing was purely coincidence? Do you think Rafa was en route to Matthew Street to be patted firmly on the back by the Liverpool faithful for his valiant efforts this season, when news of this move for Barry broke, completely new to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    B.S. Do you actually believe that there's no connection whatsoever between this move being made and leaked, and Liverpool crashing out of the CL?

Wasnt the move made the week before? I though MON said that he had a fax on his desk of the offer or something? As for the "leaked" story, everything in the story was wrong except for the player involved (ie:Barry), someone should leak info better in future.
    The timing of the whole thing was purely coincidence?

Not coincidence-i'd imagine that Rick Parry (who would have put the offer together and presented it to Villa) has been running around with a rocket up his arse trying to prove a point since Hicks called for his resignation. as our season drew to close, we started the wheels in motion for our transfer targets (offer being made for Barry), this is wat Liverpool fans have been crying out for in relation to the speed in which we deal in the transfer market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Is anyone else extremely sick of all the talk happening about Liverpool on this thread?

Seriously give it a rest, its making my eyes bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

just stuck meself on the villa season ticket list there

£265 for the north stand lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

€17 for each league game and any cup games free. Very good value.

Man I'm looking forward to finally getting out of college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shoutman wrote: »
    Is anyone else extremely sick of all the talk happening about Liverpool on this thread?

Seriously give it a rest, its making my eyes bleed.
    +1. Coincidentally the number of mind-numbing Liverpool related posts seemed to coincidentally increase with the involvement of a particular user....

All outsiders welcome, but can you try keep it to ASTON VILLA discussion please? Frankly nobody gives a damn about Rick Parry and all that rubbish going on behind closed doors (these doors also seem to have big windows) at Anfield. Fair enough it initially related to the Barry topic, but there's only so much useless Liverpool info my brain can handle.

West Ham away on Sunday. Predictions?
    I'll go for a Villa win, but Everton drawing with Newcastle and preventing us from stealing UEFA cup spot.

i couldnt care less what the other scores are once we win

irish indo claiming arsenal are in for barry

theyre either just stealing my predictions, or im a psychic

“I’ve never denied Rafa Benitez called me. That’s always been there,” said the Villa boss.

“I did get a call about 20 days ago. How else would I know (about their interest in Barry)?

“He says we had a private chat and he knows everything about where my ideas and I know everything from him.

“The thing is – I didn’t have an idea. Well, apart from the idea of getting him off the phone as I was going to a reserve game at the time.

“His idea was to ask about Gareth Barry and I said: ‘No.’

“I said I’d need to speak to the chairman (Randy Lerner) and I’d assume he (Lerner) would be of the same opinion as me, and he was.

“Without taking breath Benitez then started talking players in a possible swap. He was racing way beyond me.

“He’s now deemed there to be on on-going dialogue for three weeks. It is simply not true.

“He’s called me twice – the second of which was on the Friday and only after I’d rang to complain his bid was in the local newspaper the very next day.

“By that time I still had not had time to speak to my chairman.

“I haven’t enquired about his players. He mentioned players.

“He was a million miles from where I was coming from and it’s nonsense to suggest I knew everything and that so did he.

“And if he’s now saying nothing will happen until the end of the season, then why did he phone me?”

ahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

i couldnt care less what the other scores are once we win
    Er, right. We are kinda relying on other scores, so I could care less what they are.
    A Villa win and a Newcastle win and I'm sure you'd be changing your tune ;)

we're not relying on anything unless we win

if we win, we're in the intertoto

if we dont win, we could be looking at 7th

lets get our priorities straight here before wishing our lives away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That's a very honest appraisal from MON. I hope Barry stays with ye, as ye play a nice style of football under him and Barry is a huge part of that. If he does leave i think Arsenal may suit him better than pool, football wise.

Will the match on sunday be shown anywhere?

Anyone interested Villa Vs Charlton from 99/00 season is on espn classic at the moment, Joachim just equalised for us, 2-2, quality.

Will the match on sunday be shown anywhere?

I reckon it'll be a Sopcast job....

I reckon it'll be a Sopcast job....

id say so and unfortunatley id have o agree think we will miss out on Uefa (through 5th anyway) with Everton drawing against the barcodes but can see Villa getting our first three points in london for ages in a 2-1 win agains West Ham.

Anyone have the link to the villa fan club so I can check out if they are doing anything for it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Villa have been linked with signing Jens Lehmann from Aresnal on a one year deal. I really hope that this is a rumour because Lehmann is 38 and by all accounts a totally twat (well judging by his feuds with Almunia & Kahn).

Today has been one long burn by MON on Rafa Benitez

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7392999.stm

Rafa better watch his ass! (when he's finished covering it according to MON)

Liverpool are really out of sorts. Rafa? amateur!;)

Lehmann? nay, too old and moody, possible filler if MON is waiting for a suitable target to appear.

When you find a link for the match today could someone post it or pm me with it please?

thanks very much.

I had a dream last night we finished 12th... :(

[edit]I know it's not mathematically possible but... :([/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

When you find a link for the match today could someone post it or pm me with it please?

thanks very much.

It's not looking good.

• Advertisement

feck!!

West Ham 1 Aston Villa 0

Solano...former player curse

cmon the Hare and reo

Balls.

1-1 Young you daisy.

1-1 Young you daisy.

what a player 1-1, nice quick response too

Get in!

Anyone know of radio commentary or anything for this? Would it be stremed online?

cant find a stream, still trying though

Everton winning

1-0 everton
    1-0 sha

we're game on for 6th

Yak scored for Everton

• Advertisement

I'd never thought I said this but yay birmingham are winning.

1-0 everton
    1-0 sha

we're game on for 6th

Sha?

do you mean birmingham who just scored vs Blackburn?

Everton 1 up... :(

[edit]Read, then post Neil, read, THEN post...[/edit]

Sha?

do you mean birmingham who just scored vs Blackburn?

yeah

small heath alliance = brum

Carew and Gaby have both missed scorable chances, so at least we are making chances anyway.

Carew and Gaby have both missed scorable chances, so at least we are making chances anyway.

did you get a commentary? if so link please

blackburn have equalised :(

And Newcastle have scored, game on!

Gaz Baz!!!!!!!!!!!! Get In!

• Advertisement

2-1!!! MON the Villa!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement