Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Training ground looks impressive, as was the football yesterday.

Roll on next season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Anyone seen the new kit yet, was meant to be in yesterday's programme and launched on the website today but no sign yet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Villa were class, deffo the team to watch next season, especially with a few decent buys.

Carew is the man to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I agree Carew is definately the buy/swap of the season. Quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Baros for Carew? You must mean....
    shoutman wrote:
    Carew is definately the theft of the season.

• Advertisement

Still an outside possibility that Villa can qualify for the Fair Play League draw for a Uefa cup place.

Standings are currently:
    1 Liverpool 43 0 43
    2 Reading 40 3 46
    3 Aston Villa 47 1 49
    4 Watford 46 2 50
    5 Portsmouth 49 1 51
    6 Tottenham 45 4 53

Liverpool and Watford are out automatically due to already qualifying or being relegated. Can't see us catching Reading so hope they qualify.

MON will probably leave McCann out of the game as he already has 9/10 bookings alone which is about 20% of our points :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

V1llianous wrote:
    Still an outside possibility that Villa can qualify for the Fair Play League draw for a Uefa cup place.

Standings are currently:
    1 Liverpool 43 0 43
    2 Reading 40 3 46
    3 Aston Villa 47 1 49
    4 Watford 46 2 50
    5 Portsmouth 49 1 51
    6 Tottenham 45 4 53

Liverpool and Watford are out automatically due to already qualifying or being relegated. Can't see us catching Reading so hope they qualify.

MON will probably leave McCann out of the game as he already has 9/10 bookings alone which is about 20% of our points :D

We're still just put in a draw though aren't we?

Yep, still a draw but a possibility none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Where did you get that fairplay list? Latest I can see is at: http://www.premierleague.com/public/downloads/publications/Fair_Play_Mar_07.pdf which is from end of March.

• Advertisement

A rumoured combined £18m bid for Darren Bent and Luke Young from Charlton is supposed to be being made fairly soon.

Yea? that would be pretty good although I'm not sure Young is the best right back we could find.

V1llianous wrote:

I believe it is based on more than just red and yellow cards though.

From BBC
    Aston Villa still have a chance of playing in Europe next season - via the Premiership Fair Play League.

Tottenham lead the table, which is based on the number of red and yellow cards, positive play and respect towards opponents and officials.

But Spurs may qualify automatically for the Uefa Cup so second-placed Villa, who are 11th in the Premiership, may end up in the Fair Play draw.

Nine other European clubs are competing for the final two Uefa Cup places.

"It would be a lovely boost for everyone, if it happens," Villa boss Martin O'Neill told The Sun.

"Clearly, qualification is not in our hands so we will have to wait and see."

Villa have one Premiership game remaining - a visit to Bolton on Sunday.

That bid for Bent and Young seems a bit high. I wouldn't rate Young at more than £4 million which means Bent costs £14 mill.
    But if we get in early we might just nab them. I suppose price is not that important anymore. I think Bent is fantastic personally.

The combined price does seem a bit pricey but at the same time both players are definatley premiership players and Bent is a great player imo.

Any links to the new villa jersey?

taken from yahoo.
    Aston Villa are likely to be in the running for a UEFA Cup place after European football's governing body revealed its fair play rankings.An English and Welsh club will be in UEFA's draw for the two remaining places on May 15, along with eight other sides from the countries deemed to have the best fair play records in their domestic leagues between June 2006 and April 2007.

At the moment, Tottenham are top of the Premiership's fair play table, but they are likely to qualify for the UEFA Cup through their league position, so second-placed Aston Villa - 11th in the Premiership - are in line to claim the extra place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

That's crazy money for that pair and Young is a moderate fullback at best... €10m for the two would be more appropriate...

So that's MON's honeymoon season gone.

2005/06 Season: 2006/07 Season
    Position 16 11 (+5)
    Played 38 38
    Home Won 6 7 (+1)
    Home Drew 6 8 (+2)
    Home Lost 7 4 (-3)
    Home For 20 20 (no change)
    Home Against 20 14 (-6)
    Away Won 4 4 (no change)
    Away Drew 6 9 (+3)
    Away Lost 9 6 (-3)
    Away For 22 23 (+1)
    Away Against 35 27 (-8)
    Goal Difference -13 2 (+11)
    Points 42 50 (+8)

So what do we think, I think not an overall great increase in fortunes when about £16m spent but a good start. I must admit I did think that 11th would be a great result a month ago but with a very strong finish (equal best form over last 6 with Chelsea & Spurs) the feel good factor must give rise to some good signings and roll on next season. I didn't really expect europe this year but who knows what will happen on Tuesday :D

I think a fairer reflection on the changing manager and chairman will be seen next season after the summer transfers have been completed and MON has reshaped the squad to his liking. In fairness though I wouldn't have seen O'Dreary managing to persuad Petrov, Young or especially Carew to sign up.

My shopping list for the summer would be 1 goalkeeper, 1 central defender, 1 playmaker (ala Merson) and at least 1 proven goalscorer. I think we have enough depth coming through the ranks to provide backup for the current team with these additions.

V1llianous wrote:
    1 playmaker (ala Merson)
    To be honest I think he is a bit past it at this stage :p

But yes I agree, great end to the season and can only bode well for next season. Next season definatley is when the supporters will be getting on MON's back if results dont go well, as opposed to this year where his sh!t didnt stink no matter what the results were like. I think it would of been unfair to of put pressure on him as it was a hard task when he took over and finishing in 11th is great.

On my shopping list would be a goalkeeper, central defender, right back, playmaking midfielder, sidwell (although I heard today Chelsea were looking at him, I really thought he was going to be a villain next season), and a quality make goals from nothing but finish everything put in front of him striker (Defoe looks decent)

Sidwell has been to Chelsea for a medical according to SkySports.

I agree we need a goalkeeper and a Central Defender, a Right Back and a playmaker not sure who though and the Bent up front.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

my shopping list:

GK: 1st choice-Igor Akinfeev 2nd-Craig Gordon
    DC: looks like Distan (plus he's free) or maybe Ben Haim (also free though Newcastle or Chelsea is more likely)
    DR: Dunno maybe Phil Jagielka (he should leave Shef utd)
    Playmaker: 1st-Wesley Sneijder 2nd-Sidwell (if he doesent want to just be the new Parker only bought cos of the african nations cup)
    ST: i expect a Teves enquiry (no more) and either a Defoe bid who might just leave White hart lane this Summer or Bent for a similar price.

fingers crossed today for European football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Villa missed out on a place in the UEFA Cup next season :(

source

Ah well we didn't deserve the place tbh.

Probably would have done us more harm then good anyway.

JPA wrote:
    Probably would have done us more harm then good anyway.

Thats a bit of a ridiculous comment IMO, even to say we have the possibility of playing european football to possible new players is a huge think and would vastly increase the level of talent that MON could attract to the club.

shoutman wrote:
    Thats a bit of a ridiculous comment IMO, even to say we have the possibility of playing european football to possible new players is a huge think and would vastly increase the level of talent that MON could attract to the club.

I don't think UEFA cup is that big deal to attracting players.
    When we get in through this method of qualification we have to start playing competitive matches too early which would screw up our pre season.And I don't think our squad could handle 4 competitions over the course of the season. Look at Middlesbrough last year. Got to the final and almost got relegated.

Absolutely, we would've grabbed the chance no matter how flukily it came about. Sure back in January the AVFC site published an article from MON saying he'd consider the Intertoto.
    Any Euro experience for the youngsters can only be a good thing.

I just think we'd be sacrificing league position because I don't think we're ready for Europe. I'm sure we'll qualify properly next season. :)

If we deserved to be in Europe we would be in Europem, simple as imo.

Martin O'Neil was at hearts on the weekend watching craig Gordon who today was linked with Man utd(they wont sign him). unfortunatley it does mean his price may rise

• Advertisement

What a coincidence, MON signed him in a new Football Manager game I just started up.
    Does this mean he has switched targets from the Celtic keeper to Gordon?

According to the official Aston Villa website these are the players that have been linked to Villa by the media so far:
    Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips, PSV Eindhoven striker Arouna Kone, Wigan defender Leighton Baines, Wigan midfidler Paul Scharner, Wolves winger Michael Kightly, Ajax midfielder Wesley Sneijder, Hearts keeper Craig Gordon, Kilmarnock striker Steven Naismith, Spartak Moscow winger Vladimir Bystrov, FC Zurich midfielder Xavier Margairaz, Celtic keeper Artur Boruc, Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Woodgate, West Ham striker Kepa Blanco, Lyon midfielder Kim Kallstrom, Sheffield Wednesday defender Frankie Simek, Charlton defender Luke Young, Pacos de Ferreira defender Vitorino Antunes, Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy, West Brom defender Curtis Davies, Man City defender Sylvain Distin, Toulouse midfielder Achille Emana, Sheffield United defender Phil Jagielka, West Brom striker Diomansy Kamara, Watford striker Marlon King, West Brom midfilder Jason Koumas, West Brom defender Paul McShane, Hull City keeper Boaz Myhill (an ex Villa player), Preston striker David Nugent & finally West Ham defender Paul Konchesky.

Out of that whole list only Shaun Wright-Phillips, Wesley Sneijder, Kim Kallstrom, Artur Boruc, Arouna Kone & (maybe) Craig Bellamy would be players that I would like to see in a Villa shirt next season. I have no idea why we are being linked to so many relegated & championship players, if we want to obtain our goals and compete for a top 6 finish (with a good cup run) then we need to be looking at getting only top quality players in to strengthen the squad.

Btw, I think Craig Gordon is a very good keeper, but the £10m price tag that Hearts have slapped on his head is absolutely ridiculous.

Toodle-doo. Haven't been all too impressed with him and his attitude in recent times was poor.

Reocoker looks like he is going to be Villas first summer signing
    Villa Head Reo Chase - Report

Sun 27 May, 01:09 PM

Aston Villa are reported to be leading the race for England Under-21 captain Nigel Reo-Coker, who has submitted a transfer request at West Ham.

The Hammers are said to be keen to slap an �8million price tag on the 23-year-old, who has fallen out with manager Alan Curbishley due to a breakdown in contract negotiations.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has a transfer warchest available this summer but believes the valuation on Reo-Coker is too high, according to the Mail on Sunday.

However, he may be able to persuade West Ham to accept a lower fee in order to push through a transfer for the want-away midfielder.
    taken from yahoo/eurosports http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27052007/4/villa-head-reo-chase-report.html

i could see it happen though i hope not for 8million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

How can a 23 year-old be the England U-21 captain?

having only turned 23 this month i think he was still under 21 at the start of the current under21 campaign which is the cut off, the second the campaign ends he leaves the squad. Still West Ham and U-21 captain at such a young age has to be a positive indicater.

Excellent replacment for McCann imo if it comes off.

I agree irish1 I think he is a solid player, not worth 8mil at the moment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He's a solid player. He hasn't had a great season but I think his heart wasn't in it and the Argentines arrival upset the whole setup at West Ham. If he were to reproduce the previous seasons form he would be a steal at 8 million.

• Advertisement

I think Reo-Coker would be a decent signing to strengthen our weak midfield especially now that Sneijder looks like his dream move to Spain is on the horizon.
    Villa are ready to look elsewhere for a midfielder after Valencia bid £10m for Ajax star Wesley Sneijder. Manager Martin O'Neill is an admirer of the 22-year-old Holland international and watched him in the Dutch Cup final against AZ Aljkmaar. But Valencia have now stepped in with a firm offer and sources believe the player fancies trying his luck in Spain

Source 'The Express & The Sun'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Of interest here - Villa supposedly after both Bellamy & Kewell

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=villa-line-up-anfield-double-swoop%26method=full%26objectid=19213749%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Bascombe tends to be a very reliable source for LFC related maters.

Villa have been linked with Craig Bellamy forever it seems. I personally cannot stand him and I would be seriously gutted if he ends up at Villa Park. We need a decent striker like Darren Bent or Jermain Defoe that can be relied on to get into double figures. IMO Bellamy has a poor goal record (apart from Newcastle where he had decent enough record) plus he is a destructive force. Okay a plus point is that he worked with O'Neill in the past but do Villa really need a ticking time-bomb in the dressing room..........especially at the ridiculous *price tag that Liverpool have slapped on his head?

*£12million!!!!!! They must be out of there minds!!!!!!!! :eek:

As for Harry Kewell, he is a shadow of his former self and ever since he left Leeds his career has gone down hill. The fact that he has had a nightmare few season with injuries means that he is a risk and IMO we have enough injury prone players (Berger, Lauren, Delaney, etc.). He could possibly be worth a risk at £1m but his signing wouldn't really inspire me with confidence and there is no point in signing 'quick fix' players when we have money to spend on younger, hungrier and more ambitious players.

Just my 2 cent ;)

I really dont like how we are constantly linked with Bellamy, he IMHO is not what we need (and 12mil is stupid). Kewell however while injury prone has definate quality and could prove to be a bargain and at minimun would be good to rotate with the other injury prone former pool winger berger especially at around 1million.

Gabby dropped from the u-21 squad for the european championship cos he didnt respond to calls to go to a training camp.

Luke Moore was left out too....

O'Neil today has taken responsibility for the Gabby mess up, and in theliverpool thread villa are being linked with Finnan who IMO would be an ideal and v consistent solution to our rb needs. maybe rafa's making way for Alves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

stay away from our Finnan! :(

I cannot see Liverpool parting with Finnan, he is one of their most consistent players. But speaking of full backs, Villa have been linked to Bayern Munich's Philipp Lahm. I know he is a left back but he is naturally right footed and would be ideal to play on the right of Villa defense. Could be worth a cheeky bid.

Another player on the Villa radar is Dutch International Nigel De Jong who plays for Hamburg. He is a defensive midfield player and would be a nice replacement for the hopefully soon departing Gavin McCann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lahm is too good to go to Villa.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement