Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Alan wrote: »
    selective reading?

this is just a newspaper article, someones opion is all.

the bit you highlighted is someones opinion, the bit i highlighted is not an opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

emmmmm, yes it is Helix.

no its not

read it again

This:
    It is understood that Barry did not declare a desire to leave when he met O'Neill yesterday for talks

is not a statement, its a report of something which happened

This:
    Villa supporters would be naive to interpret the captain's reticence as a show of loyalty. With Liverpool so keen on signing Barry there is no need for the midfielder to agitate for a move to Anfield

is an opinion and a suggestion given by the article writer

Helix, i think you are long enough in the tooth to know that, "it is understood" is paper talk for "we need a story, so lets throw this in here" without anything to back it up

eg.

it is understood Utd have bid 30 million for alves and fabiano

its still far from an opinion tho

lol, how pedantic can ya get.

ok then, its probably made up.

there, we're agreed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There's that noise again, am I the only one that's hearing it??

Anyway, brainwave. Gonna get Martin on the blower and pitch this to him: -

I know Gaz said money is not the main factor here, and it's not, but we all know replacing Barry just isn't a runner, for all he brings to the club, as a player, captain, leader, heartbeat, etc. etc. So let's take the economical option.

Offer Barry a 2 year contract, 100k a week. Screw the wage structure. It will cost the club only another £6m-£7m, seeing as they were going to have to pay him 40k a week over the next two years anyway. That's less than Petrov cost.

And from his perspective, he will get a clear picture as to where the club is headed over the next two years, when he can then still move onto a bigger club as he'll still only be 29. At this point I'd also venture we'd get a profit off the £6m-£7m we spent keeping him at the club too.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Alan, as a Villa fan I shouldn't agree with you, but you're correct. Both are opinions.

Ergo, Helix, you're wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

oh Jesus krinpit, edit that post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This is certainly dragging out: -
    Gareth Barry can go if price is right, says Martin O'Neill

May 14 2008 By Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

MARTIN O'Neill will not stand in Gareth Barry's way should the Villa skipper eventually confirm, as expected, his desire to quit Villa Park for Anfield.

But O'Neill has his doubts Liverpool could actually afford Barry with the Reds having to offload a flood of fringe players to finance such an ambitious tranfer at a time when boardroom wrangles have split the club in two.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has alleged Barry is keen to quit Villa but Villa will play hard-ball over the remaining two years of Barry's contract - unless Liverpool stump up around £15million.

Peter Crouch could easily become part of the eventual package but after holding talks with Barry, his agent and Randy Lerner, O'Neill said he will not stand in his skipper's way should a suitable offer be made.

"Fans are obviously very anxious and we're all concerned. We want to keep him and we've got certain things in our favour," said O'Neill.

"We want a solution that everyone is happy with and the last thing you want to do is keep an unhappy player at the football club.

"But, then again, Gareth Barry has not expressed his unhappiness at Aston Villa.

"Things are very much up in the air and the main aim for the chairman and myself is to try and keep him at the football club. That's what we're trying to do," he said.

"You can make people see out their contracts but in essence we would want a pretty amicable solution to all of this and we're still hopeful things can be resolved in favour of Aston Villa.

"Of course anything can change at the drop of a hat and I'm never overly confident but what I would say to the fans is that we're doing our utmost and we'll continue to do so. We want to show Gareth that we mean business."

Initial discussions between Barry and O'Neill failed to throw up many answers.

The Villa boss confirmed: "We've spoken to Gareth and our situation remains the same - everyone at Aston Villa wishes very strongly that he will stay.

"Obviously he's at a big stage of his career. He's 27-years-old and he's been here almost 10 years.

"He's due a testimonial and if he sees the club continuing to progress we definitely want to keep him.

"He still has two years of his contract to run and Liverpool have put in an offer that, well, it's almost debatable whether it is an offer.

"I think Gareth sees the club progressing - he sees that every day. He sees how he is valued at the club. That's something that is important and not something you can demean.

"I understand a career only spans a certain amount of time and you want to get as much as you can out of that."

O'Neill does not believe that Liverpool could further Barry's international career.

He added: "Gareth has played for England because he plays regularly for Aston Villa and his England place is not in jeopardy because he's playing for Aston Villa at the moment.

"Frankly, Fabio Capello does not need to see him playing in a Champions League game to be convinced.

"He nearly moved on a couple of years ago but he stayed and he hasn't looked back. That's not something which should be dismissed. He was at a crossroads and was pretty disillusioned with events but Randy's arrival at the football club galvanised it.

"The first thing I had to sort out was Gareth's future. He committed himself to the football club and has gone on to produce the best football he's ever played.

"That's a great credit to him and I think it can continue.

"If he can continue in the same form, regardless of what happens at Aston Villa, Gareth can play at the very highest level for the next couple of seasons anyway.

"So even if we don't make the sort of progress that we're all hoping to do, he might have other options maybe further down the line.

"The promise here is very obvious. We've gone from 16th to 11th to sixth. We've got the smallest squad in the business and that's something we're desperately trying to improve.

"We don't really want to be starting off by losing our best players. The only way for us to make progress is by doing our utmost to keep him.

"Gareth, despite what has been said in some newspapers, has never expressed unhappiness at Aston Villa.

"The crowd love him and his performances have warranted that."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Looks like Nelson could turn out to be another Jose Bosingwa type rumour.
    SSN wrote:
    Benfica defender Nelson has revealed that he has no interest in leaving Portugal for the Premier League. The former Portuguese U21 international has attracted interest from a host of English clubs, with Aston Villa believed to have already made enquiries as to his availability. However, the full-back insists that he is happy at Estadio da Luz and has no desire to seek a new challenge abroad. "I can confirm that I have received two offers, but I am happy in Lisbon, and the people are happy with me," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Gareth Barry can go if price is right, says Martin O'Neill

That article says nothing like that.
    Bill Howell you muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

JPA wrote: »
    That article says nothing like that.
    Bill Howell you muppet.

Indeed, the waiting game is being played methinks as things are going on the background so useless articles are appearing, interesting reading Steven Gerrards(Gareth Barrys BF apparently) comments today, great timing.....

Should have bought Boswinga last summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

the Villa boss has reiterated this stance after reading this evening's back page story in the Birmingham Mail, which claimed that he would not stand in Gareth's way and that the Villa skipper could go if the 'price was right'.

O'Neill said: "I have not said anything of the sort. To suggest I would be happy to sell Gareth is simply not true.

"I did say that no club would want to keep an unhappy player but at no time has Gareth expressed any displeasure about his time at Villa.

"We are doing everything we can. We are determined to keep Gareth at Villa Park. To say that I am resigned to losing him is simply not the case."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think MON needs to keep quite until this sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Villain wrote: »
    I think MON needs to keep quite until this sorted
    On the contrary, his silence would be viewed by most fans as a form of apathy to the whole Barry situation. By speaking out so publicly and frequently, he is keeping the fans informed on a key issue, also making sure the club's integrity remains intact. I wish I could say the same for the Redscouses...

Only just realised that Laursen played in every single Villa PL game this season... great to see that his Injuries are now firmly in the past. was named in Skys team of the year today too(as was Ashley Young).

Only just realised that Laursen played in every single Villa PL game this season... great to see that his Injuries are now firmly in the past. was named in Skys team of the year today too(as was Ashley Young).
    Laursen seriously played every game? That's class, wasn't aware of that at all...:)

think the only game he missed was vs Leicster in the CC. not 100% but considering how little rotation Villa 1st team see's and that Davies got injured / Mellberg never played CB im fairly sure he did play every PL game.

go on the great Dane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Villain wrote: »
    oh Jesus krinpit, edit that post

Just seen this now - anyone care to PM me with what I typed?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yeah I think MON should quieten down a little bit. He seems to go on long babbles to the media. I don't think anyone would see it as apathy to the situation, everyone knows that the media will put whatever spin they can on it.

Anyone notice how Gaz himself seems to have said literally nothing to media? I haven't seen a single quote from him in ages.

In other news, Villa linked to loads of players, none of the rumours with any substance of course:
    Pompey's Pedro Mendes
    Sean Scanell - 3m
    Steve Sidwell - 5m
    Werder Bremen's Diego
    Brend Schnieder

Out if all of these the Sidwell one seems to be most likely to have any truth to it. Would cost about 5m. He's currently on 65,000 a week at Chelsea, so would have to take a pay cut. Everton, Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle believed to be interested also.

Anyone notice how Gaz himself seems to have said literally nothing to media? I haven't seen a single quote from him in ages.

on monday:
    We want to get ourselves back where we belong

Hopefully we can do the business in the Intertoto Cup and get ourselves back where we belong.

It was always the aim to get that European spot - whether it be through the Intertoto or not. We could have finished as low as eighth if results had gone against us but we put the effort in and I think we deserved at least that sixth spot.

We keep continuing to improve and I'm sure next year, with the help of new players, it will be another push.

Everybody's gone home happy and I think the fans are pleased with the way we've gone about our business this season

Fair enough, didn't see that. However I mean't in relation to the transfer saga. Not a mention of it there.

and rightly so, he could hang himself by the bollix if he made the wrong comment

dont know what to make of this, but gaz baz's missus louise has told a bloke who knows her off VT that barry has decided to stay for another season at least

• Advertisement

Valencia defender Marco Caneira has admitted he could be tempted into leaving the club after Aston Villa were linked with a move for the player. (skysports.com, 1012 BST)

another portugese wing back this time one that can play both RB & LB

Re: Barry
    Im sure MON told him to keep his mouth shut on the whole thing and that he would deal with the press. Martin is a very open guy and what some see as a problem is that he will almost always answer a question when asked it. Considering I almost always agree with him i dont mind so much.

Ive said many times I think Barry isnt going anywhere so hope your info is reliable Helix.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Diego would be a fantastic signing, Valenicia right/ left back could be good, also Sidwell would be a good solid signing IMO.

What do people mke of the Crouch + 10m reported offer! seems OK- its a choice who'd be a better player, Crouch or Carew- IMO I'd go for Crouch and try and sell or bench Carew!

Sidwell - yes
    Crouch - reluctantly
    Sell Carew - u must be a crazy man

Personally I couldn't be arsed commenting on every RB rumour that surfaces. Been there done that, not this summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

id rather Carew than Crouch.

This is what the Guardian wrote:

Werder Bremen's Brazilian playmaker Diego and the Germany international Bernd Schneider are also believed to have come to O'Neill's attention as he seeks to strengthen central midfield, an area in which Nigel Reo-Coker and Stilian Petrov have failed to convince. Those shortcomings would be further exposed should Barry leave although O'Neill, despite Liverpool's pursuit, believes he can talk the England international into staying.

and bild.de says:

England premier-League-club Aston villa is hot on national player per Mertesacker (22).

That reports the "Daily mail".

Manager Martin O 'Neill (10.3 Mio Euro should have offered 7 million pounds) as a removing for that Bremen defense star (contract until 2010).

Good message for that crises Bremen: Mertesackers adviser novel Pletz gives all-clear in PICTURE:

"Per is now in Werder. A transfer is not will be no subject, a change there."

Trainer Thomas Schaaf will please it...

----

dont really expect these players to sign tbh

• Advertisement

spiderdan wrote: »
    Diego would be a fantastic signing, Valenicia right/ left back could be good, also Sidwell would be a good solid signing IMO.

What do people mke of the Crouch + 10m reported offer! seems OK- its a choice who'd be a better player, Crouch or Carew- IMO I'd go for Crouch and try and sell or bench Carew!

As was said selling Carew would be crazy/insane. I fyou want to play with a target man then Crouch is not that player.
    When you have Crouch in your team you have to try and forget his height because he does not use it to his advantage at all.

even Carson knows hes not worth 10m
    Aston Villa target Scott Carson has admitted he may have to quit Liverpool after calling their £10m valuation of him "stupid money".

The 22-year-old's season-long loan at Villa is over but the two clubs have yet to finalise any permanent deal for the England international goalkeeper.

He told the Wolverhampton Express & Star newspaper: "It's too much. It's stupid money really.

"It may be time to move but I don't know if anyone will agree a fee."

Carson arrived at Anfield from Leeds for £1m in January 2005 and had a spell at Charlton in 2006/07 before Villa paid £2m to take him on loan for this season.

He wants his parent club to be more reasonable when it comes to deciding his future.

"I don't think Liverpool are stupid. They know what I'm worth. They would've recouped what they paid for me in loan fees over the last couple of years, so hopefully they can help me out," he commented.

Villa retain first option on signing Carson permanently and he knows his future almost certainly lies away from Anfield. I don't know what's going to happen but it's been good for me at Villa

Goalkeeper Scott Carson

"Liverpool have a great keeper in Pepe Reina and he's going to take a lot of shifting, but I've played football for the last two seasons and I don't think I'll be content sitting on the bench."

Regardless of whether he returns to the West Midlands next season, Carson is certain manager Martin O'Neill is building something exciting at Villa Park.

He told the club website: "You only have to look at the squad. There are a lot of young players, and the younger ones are very talented."

"It's been good for me at Villa. When I came here getting into Europe was the aim and that's what we've done."

the german media reckon we've put in a £7m bid for metesacker

Helix wrote: »
    the german media reckon we've put in a £7m bid for metesacker

There was a tenuous link to him last year, may be something in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Werder Bremen's Diego looks phenomenal. And he's only 23.

I'd love a player like that in a Villa shirt and given that he's not a winger (i.e. he wouldn't be Ashley Young the Second) he'd really add a new dimension to our attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Until he is sitting next to a smiling MON at a VP press conference i darent speculate or dream, lets keep it grounded!

I get the feeling Diego is this years Wesley sneijder. Heavily linked to Villa with even prehaps some truth in it but he ends up moving to a club with CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yea I agree, I think anyone who is so highly praised and has the opportunity of playing CL football will choose it over an up and coming CL contender like Villa.

Especially the young continental europeans anyway....

Watching the England U21 game yesterday and that centre back for england mancienne (chelski player I think) was awesome, albeit against poor opposition.

Looks like Liverpool and Pompey have opened talks over Peter Crouch. Rafa values Crouch at £16m. So by his logic if there was a swap involving Crouchy and Barry, we would have to pay Liverpool £6m!!!! Awesome deal!!! I'll take that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

why would we want Crouch back?
    We had him before and he wasn't great.

I really don't value that player. he was sold for a reason.

Keep Barry and win the toto is what i say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Because he's improved immensly as a player over the last few years. He's better than Carew and would be perfect for Villa. He's an excellent player to have in your team when you have the pace (Gabby and Ashley Young) that villa have. 16m is a bit steep. I could see Rafa offering 4m + Crouch though. I'd prefer him to offer 10m + Crouch for Young but that's dreamland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I just read that Villa have received £42.3m for coming 6th this season from TV revenue, that is a £20m improvement on last years earnings. Add this to Mr Lerner's fortune and this summer's transfer activity could be very interesting indeed.

Link

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Because he's improved immensly as a player over the last few years. He's better than Carew and would be perfect for Villa. He's an excellent player to have in your team when you have the pace (Gabby and Ashley Young) that villa have. 16m is a bit steep. I could see Rafa offering 4m + Crouch though. I'd prefer him to offer 10m + Crouch for Young but that's dreamland.

Crouch is not better than Carew. Are you a liverpool fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Are you taking the piss pyjamarama?

How would crouch fit into the villa team because of the pace of Gabby and Young? Crouch is a brutal target man cause he doesnt have the strength and gives away far too many free kicks by bundleing over players when trying to head the ball, he's got great feet and is a good player but to compare Carew and Crouch is ridiculous, Carew is a good target man and when he works hard and gets a bit of confidence going his way he is a quality player.

One Cold Hand was clearly being sarcastic when he said paying 6 mil + Barry for Crouch was a good deal, cause it isnt. Liverpools valuations are obviously crazy when their own players are saying it. Crouch is not, now will he ever be worth 16 million.

And as for you saying it would be dreamland to get 10 mil and crouch for Ash Young?!? This has to be a level, cause if you truely believe this would be a good deal for Villa you should start back on your meds cause you are obviously retarded.

Ashley Young and Gaz Baz are both priceless in my minds and hopefully in the minds of the team in charge at Villa, but if I had a chance to hold on to one of the two it would clearly be Young. He is a future legend. He will play at the highest levels of football and will no doubt be considered one of the best players in the world when he peaks.

PLEASE LET THIS GUY BE A PISSTAKER!

Comparing Crouch and Carew is like comparing chalk with cheese.

I think Crouch will be let go for 8m to Pompey, the fact he's English bumps up his price too.

I actually think its funny to hear Benitez quote Crouch at 15m and Carson at 10m, it just goes to shows the state the club is in and how desperate they are for cash.

Im starting to really dislike Benitez, those comments over Drogba and the whole Barry affair have really only made him look bad.

Hopefully the Barry situation will be wrapped up sooner rather than later as MON can then focus all his attentions on new arrivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Rafa values Crouch at £16m.
    I reckon that figure was put out purely to put off anyone who thought they'd get him for significantly under 10m - a bit like sticking 'No time wasters' after a small ad in the paper. He's only got a year left on his contract so I expect him to go for somewhere around the 10m mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

JPA wrote: »
    Crouch is not better than Carew. Are you a liverpool fan?

crouch is a hell of a lot better than carew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Esse85 wrote: »
    I think Crouch will be let go for 8m to Pompey, the fact he's English bumps up his price too.

Where are Pompey gonna get £8m? They nearly sh1t a brick when it looked like the Benjani deal didn't go through in time cos they'd already signed Defoe and needed Citeh's money to pay for him.

Winning the FA Cup will help bring in money, they did well in the league, 8m is not a great amount to spend on a player these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Esse85 wrote: »
    Winning the FA Cup will help bring in money, they did well in the league, 8m is not a great amount to spend on a player these days.

Ran up £23m losses last year. They needed the Benjani deal to go through to pay for Defoe.

Winning the Cup will net them £1m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement